Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with questions from a Christain

Salaam Alaikum,

I’ve been trying to explain Islam to a Christain friend. She makes a very troubling point with citing versus of the Quran and hadiths were it seems like the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) engages in violence against innocents or consummating his marriage with a little girl. I’ll post her response to me below. Any help? I thought the Prophet was merciful and just and acted violently only in defense.

Thanks!

“Well, I can give you some Islamic sources for it NOT being defensive and that it was conversion by force, and that he cannot be described as peaceful or merciful. The quotes also speak to the kind of social order Mohammad established. I can’t imagine it was better, after the area had settled into a relative live and let live sort of understanding of religions, now we have what is depicted below.

From the Quran:
    9:5. Then when the Sacred Months (the 1st, 7th, 11th, and 12th months of the Islamic calendar) have passed, then kill the Mushrikun {unbelievers} wherever you find them, and capture them and besiege them, and prepare for them each and every ambush. But if they repent and perform As-Salat (Iqamat-as-Salat {the Islamic ritual prayers}), and give Zakat {alms}, then leave their way free. Verily, Allah is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.

9:29. Fight against those who believe not in Allah, nor in the Last Day, nor forbid that which has been forbidden by Allah and His Messenger and those who acknowledge not the religion of truth (i.e. Islam) among the people of the Scripture (Jews and Christians), until they pay the Jizya with willing submission, and feel themselves subdued.

9:33. It is He {Allah} Who has sent His Messenger (Muhammad) with guidance and the religion of truth (Islam), to make it superior over all religions even though the Mushrikun (polytheists, pagans, idolaters, disbelievers in the Oneness of Allah) hate (it).
    From the Hadith:

Volume 7, Book 62, Number 88; Narrated Ursa: The Prophet wrote the (marriage contract) with Aisha while she was six years old and consummated his marriage with her while she was nine years old and she remained with him for nine years (i.e. till his death).
    Volume 8, Book 82, Number 795; Narrated Anas: The Prophet cut off the hands and feet of the men belonging to the tribe of Uraina and did not cauterise (their bleeding limbs) till they died.

From the Sira, p463-4: Then they {the tribe of Quraiza} surrendered, and the apostle confined them in Medina in the quarter of d. al-Harith, a woman of Bani al-Najjar. Then the apostle went out to the market of Medina and dug trenches in it. Then he sent for them and struck off their heads in those trenches as they were brought out to him in batches. Among them was the enemy of Allah Huyayy bin Akhtab and Kab bin Asad their chief. There were 600 or 700 in all, though some put the figure as high as 800 or 900. As they were being taken out in batches to the Apostle they asked Kab what he thought would be done with them. He replied, “Will you never understand? Don’t you see that the summoner never stops and those who are taken away do not return? By Allah it is death!” This went on until the Apostle made an end of them.

Re: Need help with questions from a Christain

The Quran cannot be read at face value and immediately interpreted. There were certain verses aimed at certain people at certain times. The Quran DOES have a verse that says bluntly “fight and kill the unbelievers” but this was given to Muhammad and his companions against one tribe that was persecuting Muslims. It also didn’t mean every single person from the tribe.

This is why tafsir and Hadith is important. If I saw that, I’d too think that the Quran taught to kill all unbelievers. But it doesn’t.

Overall Islam teaches tolerance and coexistence. We cannot fight unbelievers unless they fight us first and when they wish to end we will agree. Jews and Christians are the people of the book. One girl during time of Prophet saws had a pagan mom. She was able to see her. Islam is very tolerant. Very very very. So much so that there is so much daleel I can’t even cite it all!

As for the prophet marrying young girls... he married one young girl, Aisha. While it seems weird now days, it used to be very common. Often marrying young women was a way of increasing ties with her family. In this case, Muhammad got to create ties with Abu Bakr. Everybody can refuse marriage including Aisha if she wanted to. When you look from a historical perspective, the marriage was not odd and was most likely done to form ties to Abu Bakr. Muhammad eventually fell in love with Aisha and vice versa but time went by!
    Kyle

Comment

Working...
    X