Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Errors in my recitation

:salams

was hoping to avoid making a thread but i dont really know what else to do..

ok so ive recently started a tajweed class. ive been muslim since 2009 and alhamdulilah ive memorised juz amma, mulk and a few other surahs. i had no brother to teach me this is me reading and memorising (iniatially i couldnt even read arabic so i was memorising from transliteration) to the best of my ability

i have loads of mistakes like loads. even Fatiha im making mistakes and i have like zero tajweed for a lot of what ive memorised. in the class i learned that some of my mistakes were potentially blasphemous like reading aAleem (the all knowing) with an alif so it meant painful astaghfirullah.

i basically have to start from scratch again alhamdulilah a brother has agreed to teach me after jumuah

do i stop reviewing what i know? if i do that i will start to forget or do i keep reviewing it making mistakes and try fix the mistakes (which is going to be a long slow process and will take years to fix)(if i do this i could potentially be making some huge errors for a long time untill im able to fix it)

what do i do?
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Re: Errors in my recitation

Originally posted by eesa the kiwi View Post

ok so ive recently started a tajweed class. ive been muslim since 2009 and alhamdulilah ive memorised juz amma, mulk and a few other surahs. i had no brother to teach me this is me reading and memorising (iniatially i couldnt even read arabic so i was memorising from transliteration) to the best of my ability

i have loads of mistakes like loads. even Fatiha im making mistakes and i have like zero tajweed for a lot of what ive memorised. in the class i learned that some of my mistakes were potentially blasphemous like reading aAleem (the all knowing) with an alif so it meant painful astaghfirullah.

i basically have to start from scratch again alhamdulilah a brother has agreed to teach me after jumuah

do i stop reviewing what i know? if i do that i will start to forget or do i keep reviewing it making mistakes and try fix the mistakes (which is going to be a long slow process and will take years to fix)(if i do this i could potentially be making some huge errors for a long time untill im able to fix it)

what do i do?
    Salaam Brother
    Why don't You try listening to one of the many qari's and try mimicking their recitation
    Try correcting your recitation in stead of starting All over

Wa salaam
    And the thunder exalts [ Allah ] with praise of Him - and the angels [as well] from fear of Him - and He sends thunderbolts and strikes therewith whom He wills while they dispute about Allah ; and He is severe in assault

Comment

Waalaikumussalam Eesa
      Have you watched brother imran alawis arabic course on youtube

Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYk...dE4pHzSid7Lr0w

**** Smiling won't cost you now is it ****

Zawjati ,“Uhibbuki mithla mâ antę” “Uhibbuki kaifamâ kunteee”“Wa mahmâ kâna mahma sâra”

Comment

Originally posted by muzzybee View Post
        Waalaikumussalam Eesa
        Have you watched brother imran alawis arabic course on youtube
        No can you link it
        It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
        "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Comment

No can you link it
          https://youtu.be/Qwdyx9kAPlU

Lesson 1-onwards

See if it works...

Youtube channel - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYk...dE4pHzSid7Lr0w

**** Smiling won't cost you now is it ****

Zawjati ,“Uhibbuki mithla mâ antę” “Uhibbuki kaifamâ kunteee”“Wa mahmâ kâna mahma sâra”

Comment

what do i do?
            Firstly - It's commendable that you have memorised some surahs, and did so independently. That takes a lot of hard work and dedication. May Allaah reward you for that.

Secondly - The best option would be to see what the brother who is going to teach you - says. He will have a good idea about what level you're at, and whether you should start from scratch or continue with what you know.

Thirdly - You could always upload your recordings on here (if you're feeling brave) - and we could advise you In Sha Allaah.

Fourthly - How is your pronunciation of each letter? Once you can get the pronunciation correct - then you can gradually learn the rules and apply them.

Finally - Don't give up.

Comment

Originally posted by Indefinable View Post
              Firstly - It's commendable that you have memorised some surahs, and did so independently. That takes a lot of hard work and dedication. May Allaah reward you for that.

Secondly - The best option would be to see what the brother who is going to teach you - says. He will have a good idea about what level you're at, and whether you should start from scratch or continue with what you know.

Thirdly - You could always upload your recordings on here (if you're feeling brave) - and we could advise you In Sha Allaah.

Fourthly - How is your pronunciation of each letter? Once you can get the pronunciation correct - then you can gradually learn the rules and apply them.

Finally - Don't give up.
              :jkk:
              Yeah I can see what he sees after jumuah tommorow inshaAllah
              As for uploading my recordings I'd prefer not to lol

My pronounciation of each letter isn't that great but inshaAllah I'll learn in this tajweed class

:jkk: for your input sister

Comment

what do i do?
                Its amazing you know that much Qur'an, I'm not a convert and only know 8 surahs :(

Brother use gumtree and find a qur'an and tajweed teacher in your area (if you haven't already) and start from there in sha Allah.

This is what I'm currently doing, and I have paused memorization to learn pronunciation and tajweed.

It will take you a few months to half a year i think to learn the tajweed you need to know.
                وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

what do i do?
                  :wswrwb:

The advise that i can give is
                  Listening to quran recitations by Qari while on the go will help greatly. (as mp3s)

I believe that once you start learning again, the tajweed will automatically kick in for all the ayat that you recite.
                  InshaAllah.

Comment

what do i do?
                    Wa alaikum as salam.
                    You can read arabic now, yes?
                    Sounds to me that more than tajweed what you need right now is to work on your makhaarij.
                    Because as you said having the wrong makhaarij could potentially mean making inadvertent blasphemous mistakes.
                    So work on that. And since you read Arabic now just go over the surahs you have memorized by reading them in Arabic so that you can incorporate the newly learnt makhaarij into that revision.

Comment

I would say continue learning the tajweed with your teacher and fix what you have previously memorized at the same time, but make sure that you recite in front the one teaching you, don't memorize by yourself. It won't take you years to correct your mistakes, it's not like you memorized the whole quran incorrectly. If you work hard it will take you less than a year to start pronouncing the letters/words to a decent level and to fix your past mistakes.
                      Just don't memorize anything new for now, focus on the tajweed and listen to sheikh Hussary
                      شَكَوْتُ إلَى وَكِيعٍ سُوءَ حِفْظِي
                      فَأرْشَدَنِي إلَى تَرْكِ المعَاصي
                      وَأخْبَرَنِي بأَنَّ العِلْمَ نُورٌ
                      ونورُ الله لا يهدى لعاصي

Comment

Wa alaykum salaam wa rahmatullah Wa barakatuh

Firstly, may Allah subhanahu Wa ta aala reward you for your efforts & assist you in perfecting & memorising the words of The holy Quran.

I remember Abu Taubah mentioning that whilst he was in Mauritania, his Arabic teacher would dedicate an entire day for the students to learn each letter of the alphabet. So one day all they would do is sit and recite ALIF (all day long) and the next day BAA and so on and so forth. This shows the importance of getting the pronounciation of each and every letter correct as it can alter meanings, as you have experienced. There is no haste akhi wallah, take it slow and Allah knows your intention and will reward you accordingly

Even the sahabas they would learn 10 verses at a time and not move on until they could apply the verses to their lives.

My sincere advise to you is to focus on what the brother is going to teach you, revise it and apply it. Dont move onto anything new.

With regard to that which you have already memorised, if you have memorised most of it from transliteration then you will most likely have to memorised these surahs again Wa allahu aalum. Instead what you can do is to keep listening to these surahs in your spare time so that once you have mastered the tajweed rules and correct pronounciation you can then re memorise these surahs and it will be easy for you Insha Allah
                        https://islamicgemsandpearls.wordpress.com

Comment

Thanks guys :jkk:

Comment

Motivation:

the one who recites the Qur’an beautifully, smoothly, and precisely, he will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels. And as for the one who recites with difficulty, stammering or stumbling through its verses, then he will have TWICE that reward.” [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]
                            https://islamicgemsandpearls.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Layla_ View Post
                              Motivation:

the one who recites the Qur’an beautifully, smoothly, and precisely, he will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels. And as for the one who recites with difficulty, stammering or stumbling through its verses, then he will have TWICE that reward.” [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]
                              Thanks for posting that
                              The thought of starting over is a little daunting

Comment

Working...
                              X