The test of life

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The test of life

I have been wrestling with this question for a while...

I most definitely believe in Allah, that He is the master of the universe and that He has an ultimate plan for us all. But I have been told by many people that we live on Earth because Allah is testing us, and how we perform during this test will earn us rewards or punishments. But if Allah truly knows everything, what is the point of testing us? Of course we must be held accountable, but what's the point of holding us accountable if He knows the future, if He knows whether or not we will truly accept Him and pray to Him, if He knows our very words before we speak them? Would it not be more convenient to only create people who will undoubtedly accept Him and worship Him willingly?

What do you guys think?

Re: The test of life

We are a product of Allah's attributes.

Allah is Most Merciful... we are created due to that Mercy.
    Allah is the Best to take account... we are a product of that.
    etc etc.

We sometimes think that because Allah created us now He has to be Mos Merciful etc.

No... it's the other way around... we are slaved to the Will and Attributes of Allah

Comment

Originally posted by oceanbreeze View Post

I most definitely believe in Allah, that He is the master of the universe and that He has an ultimate plan for us all. But I have been told by many people that we live on Earth because Allah is testing us, and how we perform during this test will earn us rewards or punishments. But if Allah truly knows everything, what is the point of testing us? Of course we must be held accountable, but what's the point of holding us accountable if He knows the future, if He knows whether or not we will truly accept Him and pray to Him, if He knows our very words before we speak them? Would it not be more convenient to only create people who will undoubtedly accept Him and worship Him willingly?

What do you guys think?
      If God knows in advance what is going to be, where does our freedom stand in relation to that?

I mean that logically God knows the choice that is offered to us for a given situation.

I see it differently, in relation to God, there is an infinity of possible futures, all leading to different scenarios and however, we choose only one ... it may be here that our free will resides, God leaves us the freedom to choose among these possible futures even if it goes against our interest, in order to improve us and learn from our mistakes.
      Last edited by Epsilon; 07-07-17, 07:57 AM.

Comment

What do you guys think?
        Here's the answer https://islamqa.info/en/96978

https://islamqa.info/en/123973

Also, I'm sure that this question been discussed a lot on this forum. See this thread
        http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...oes-he-test-me

And i'm sure if you search on this forum u will find more threads about same question.

[MENTION=74529]~IMAN~[/MENTION] That is a very easy question to answer.

God knows what will happen to us ( of course because God knows everything)

Now you ask why God will test us.. Even though God knows the outcome and if you will pass the test or not.. God did test you by your free will( you have free will) so god teach you Halal from haram and its up to you if you will listen or not.( so god knows what you will do , you do not) but it's totally up to us what we will do with our life( we r not robots)

God created everything, even satan,he was worshipping God , then he turned arrogant , he became rebellious and he asked God for one wish, to mislead all mankind( people who are strong in Islam ( it will be very hard to mislead) but don't worry about satan misleading us because if we know halal from haram then satan will be like a fly( he actually is very weak like a fly) and can't hurt Muslims if they pray and Muslims with strong imam.

If you want to know all the story about satan, read about it and you will understand it more.inshallah.

I believe it's clear now insha'Allah and what IMAN says gives the the summary of it. If you still have doubts I recommend u to send your question to knowledgeable scholars on Islamiqa site and they will answer you in detail insha'Allah
        How merciful Allah on me by giving me respite,and I persist in my sins and Allah shields me

Comment

Without going into too much details, here's my take on this matter. The concept of destiny is explained with various basic concepts, one of them is time. Time is a physical entity (4th dimension) and Allah (swt) is not confined by any physical entity. Therefore the way Qadr/destiny works with Allah (swt) is not the same way we understand it.

What do you guys think?
          Ask yourself why you were created. Do not let society distract you from seeking the truth.
          Sahih International, 63:3 (Surah Al-Munafiqun)
          That is because they believed, and then they disbelieved; so their hearts were sealed over, and they do not understand.

Comment

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Predestination_in_Islam

In Islam, "predestination" is the usual English language rendering of a belief that Muslims call al-qaḍāʾ wa al-qadr. The phrase means "the divine decree and the predestination"; al-qadr derives from a root that means to measure out.

There are only two groups who represent the extremes regarding Qadar. Al-Jabiriyah are of the opinion that humans have no control over their actions and everything is dictated by God. The other group is Al-Qadiriyyah (not to be confused with the Sufi order, Al-Qaadirriyah) and they are of the opinion of humans having complete control over their destiny, to the extent that God does not even know what we will choose to do. The Sunni view is in the middle between these two views, where they believe that God has knowledge of everything that will be, but that humans have freedom of choice.

Comment

I appreciate all of your answers and insight. But, I'm still confused. I understand the concept of Allah testing us in order to see if we will choose Him and perform good deeds. I understand Allah testing us to see which of the best will go to Jannah. But what I am asking is what's the point of a test when Allah already knows the outcome? If He already knows which of us will make the right choices in the tough situations, why bother with a divine lifelong test?

Let's say Allah created a person. Because He is Allah, He already knows that this person will ignore calls to faith and live a life of sin and selfishness. This man's destiny is hell because he undoubtedly will fail the test of life. He brought suffering to himself and others and on top of that rejected faith. How is it merciful and just for Allah to create a person who is doomed from the moment of his birth? What's the point? Would it not be simpler to create a race of people who undoubtedly will use their free will to choose Him?

Comment

Let's say Allah created a person. Because He is Allah, He already knows that this person will ignore calls to faith and live a life of sin and selfishness. This man's destiny is hell because he undoubtedly will fail the test of life. He brought suffering to himself and others and on top of that rejected faith. How is it merciful and just for Allah to create a person who is doomed from the moment of his birth? What's the point? Would it not be simpler to create a race of people who undoubtedly will use their free will to choose Him?

we r not doomed. we have free will to choose the straight path of Allah or to go astray.

So you didn't bother reading what we wrote^^ Surely you didn't click on the links I post in which scholar explained all. You just keep asking same question we've already answered.

Also, Allah's wisdom beyond our small understanding .. so we don't expect to understand the wisdom behind every single detail or command in Islam and if we fail to grasp something, we start having doubts in our religion and stop worshiping. If we follow only what makes sense or logic to our human brains, then we not worshiping Allah Instead we worshiping our brains. You can't measure religion by brain.

Religion means faith to believe in Allah and submit to his obligations. If we were taught the wisdom behind certain aspects, commands or stuff then Alhamdullah and If the wisdom behind other stuff kept hidden from us we obey too. Faith means submission. We as Muslims "hear and obey" when it comes Islam teachings whether we get the wisdom behind something or not. That what a true believer means.

[MENTION=35538]Saif-Uddin[/MENTION]
                How merciful Allah on me by giving me respite,and I persist in my sins and Allah shields me

Comment

Originally posted by myeverything View Post
                  we r not doomed. we have free will to choose the straight path of Allah or to go astray.

So you didn't bother reading what we wrote^^ Surely you didn't click on the links I post in which scholar explained all. You just keep asking same question we've already answered.

Also, Allah's wisdom beyond our small understanding .. so we don't expect to understand the wisdom behind every single detail or command in Islam and if we fail to grasp something, we start having doubts in our religion and stop worshiping. If we follow only what makes sense or logic to our human brains, then we not worshiping Allah Instead we worshiping our brains. You can't measure religion by brain.

Religion means faith to believe in Allah and submit to his obligations. If we were taught the wisdom behind certain aspects, commands or stuff then Alhamdullah and If the wisdom behind other stuff kept hidden from us we obey too. Faith means submission. We as Muslims "hear and obey" when it comes Islam teachings whether we get the wisdom behind something or not. That what a true believer means.

[MENTION=35538]Saif-Uddin[/MENTION]
                  With all due respect, I did read the other replies and links. I am acknowledging the answers, or at least if was my intention to do so. For me, believing in God is easy. Believing that life is a test, that I can understand. Believing that life is a test to which God already knows the outcome, that is harder. I do not know why. If I am not meant to know the full details, why then am I driven to ask for them?

Comment

I appreciate all of your answers and insight. But, I'm still confused. I understand the concept of Allah testing us in order to see if we will choose Him and perform good deeds. I understand Allah testing us to see which of the best will go to Jannah. But what I am asking is what's the point of a test when Allah already knows the outcome? If He already knows which of us will make the right choices in the tough situations, why bother with a divine lifelong test?

Troll post,

Nowhere in the Qur'an does it say Allah عز و جل arbitrarily decrees somones fate,

Whatever Allah عز و جل decreed is with his knowledge of the future, he knows what path that said individual would take and hence decrees his fate accordingly.

There is a few Ayaat in the Qur'an which refutes your absurd arguments,
                    http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

– Imam al-Shafi’i (Rahimahullah)

Comment

The amount of questions like this you can ask are unlimited
                      We are just insaan, we cannot understand Allah
                      ''If the bedouins and city dwellers were to fight between themselves until they wipe each other out, it will surely be less significant than them appointing a taghoot in the land which rules by that which is against the Shari'ah of Islaam which Allah sent his Messenger ﷺ with'' - Sheikh Sulayman bin Sahmaan

Comment

First of all, if Allah (swt) merely created humans and then straight away dumped them into jannah or jahanum based on his prior knowledge of which path they'll take, humans would see this as an injustice, that they were not given the chance to prove themselves one way or the other. There are some evidences on this subject but I don't have them to hand. So they are put through the tests of this life and then when they are questioned on the day of judgement, they'd have to acknowledge that they made their choices of their own free will so have to take responsibility for that and face the consequences.

Secondly no one is "doomed from birth". Saying someone is doomed from birth is like suggesting that such a person is (without free will) compelled to make wrong choices in his (or her) life. This is definitely not the case. No one is created inherently good or inherently evil from day one, in fact all children are born on the fitrah, in a state of pure innocence. It is the decisions and choices that the person makes from reaching the age of maturity onwards and that's what all of us are held accountable for. If a person grows up to live a life of sin and wrongdoing without repentance, that is his choice, his choices have caused him to doom himself.

Allah (swt) knows beforehand what decisions people will make whether they are right or wrong, this is because He is Allah and He knows everything including what will happen in the future. Perhaps at this point you ask yourself whether it's "cruel" for Allah to create someone with the foreknowledge that the person would be a wrong doer who will go to hell? The answer to that is: Allah (swt) created all of us with free will, sent down guidance so that we can understand the difference between right and wrong, then gave US the choice as to whether to follow a path of guidance or misguidance. If He did not create anyone that would end up in Hell, we would no longer be human, we'd be angels who are like robots who just follow commands and have no free will- we would not be ourselves. It is the free will that gives us the option to choose right or wrong and then we are judged accordingly.

Does that answer the question or have I missed anything?
                        The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

ppscforum.com.pk/

Comment

With all due respect, I did read the other replies and links. I am acknowledging the answers, or at least if was my intention to do so. For me, believing in God is easy. Believing that life is a test, that I can understand. Believing that life is a test to which God already knows the outcome, that is harder. I do not know why. If I am not meant to know the full details, why then am I driven to ask for them?
                            its okay. i get what you are trying to ask [MENTION=144054]oceanbreeze[/MENTION]. here is the answer to your question.

suppose a teacher gets a class. there are 50 students in the class. the teacher is very well aware of each students capabilities and strengths and weakness and overall "caliber". the teacher decides, that instead of going through the trouble of teaching the students everything and then taking their exam and checking the results, he will just directly pass those students he Knows have the ability to pass, and he fails those students he knows are never gonna study no matter how much time they are given. so, he announces the results in the first class without teaching anything. the students, those who passed, are happy. but those who were failed by the teacher rise in uproar and say that you have failed us due to a personal agenda and had you tested us, we would have passed with flying colors. now, anticipating aaaaall of this due to his knowledge, the teacher decided against this and decided instead to take the "longer" route of teaching them everything and then taking their exam and then checking the exams and then announced the results. and turns out the students he knew would fail did certainly fail even after the test. and those he knew would pass certainly passed. the purpose of the semester was so that nobody would complain that the teacher was unfair or unjust.

i think the analogy is self explanatory, apart from a few technicalities of Aqeedah. and whats more? those who will fail on the day of judgment will dare to say that give us one more chance. we will be good in the dunya. but they know and Allah knows that that is not true.

AssalamuAlaikum.

Comment

:salams

Here are some more details in post # 71

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...r-Wisdom/page2
                              My sect - No Sect

My Aqeedah - http://legacy.quran.com/112 ( The Aqeedah of Sahabas)

Just a Muslim

Comment

Working...
                              X