How to tell parents about islam?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to tell parents about islam?

With Ramadan coming very close, there's no way I can longer hide it from my parents.
    Usually I still eat dinner with my parents at around 6pm, so I HAVE to tell them.

With the Manchester attack still in our memory I'm terrified they'll insult me or mock me etc.

How do I tell them?

Please make dua for me brothers and sisters.
    The Love Allah has for Prophet Muhammad ﷺ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acm3R7MbO_Q

Re: How to tell parents about islam?

Originally posted by Abdullah012 View Post
    With Ramadan coming very close, there's no way I can longer hide it from my parents.
    Usually I still eat dinner with my parents at around 6pm, so I HAVE to tell them.

With the Manchester attack still in our memory I'm terrified they'll insult me or mock me etc.

How do I tell them?

With regards to "how to tell them", there is no silver bullet/answer. However, I would probably tell them before Ramadhaan, cause you don't want to be fasting and arguing (it kind of ruins your fasts also).

That's my 2 cents worth of advice.

Comment

I'd rather say thank you but I've changed my routine and that I'll fix my own dinner, than tell my family about Islam. I told mine immediately and wished I hadn't.

Comment

How do I tell them?

What do your parents think of Muslims?

Comment

How do I tell them?

where you at? come to mine we'll eat together and spend eid together i've got a spare bedroom too and no women live with me so sleep there if ya want till you feel comfortable in telling your family. i'll teach you quran too if you need help lol

Comment

Originally posted by oshirowanen View Post
            What do your parents think of Muslims?
            My mom is very open minded and liberal and I have a good relationship with her. If it wasn't for my stepdad I already would have told her months ago.
            Because my stepfather is conservative-leaning and he often makes fun of my hobbies and interests and he is pretty adverse to islam.

Comment

Originally posted by babadods View Post
              where you at? come to mine we'll eat together and spend eid together i've got a spare bedroom too and no women live with me so sleep there if ya want till you feel comfortable in telling your family. i'll teach you quran too if you need help lol
              BarakAllahu feek bro that's really generous, but I don't think that's the right thing to do. I can't just move out all of a sudden for 30 days without saying anything, they'll give me up as lost within a day probably.
              Besides, I live in the Netherlands.

Comment

My mom is very open minded and liberal and I have a good relationship with her. If it wasn't for my stepdad I already would have told her months ago.
                Because my stepfather is conservative-leaning and he often makes fun of my hobbies and interests and he is pretty adverse to islam.
                hmm, how much influence does your step dad have on your mom? Will she stand up for you (I'm assuming yes based on above reply)? Can she tame him?
                Last edited by oshirowanen; 24-05-17, 12:13 PM.

Comment

BarakAllahu feek bro that's really generous, but I don't think that's the right thing to do. I can't just move out all of a sudden for 30 days without saying anything, they'll give me up as lost within a day probably.
                  Besides, I live in the Netherlands.
                  but you can for 30 days eat out :D
                  ahh too bad bro your an hour away from me
                  i hope it goes well and i think what you should do is tell them now before it hits ramadan so they know not to make anything for you etc it's best it's out now than later tbh and just tell them that you're the same son as you have always been and that this won't change anything for you and that you still love them like you have always done, you dutch ppl are really sensitive so i can imagine them saying Oh, mijn God a lot but i guess you'll have to sweeten things down and just tell them that you love them and that nothing has changed etc and just that you choose this way of life.

Comment

Originally posted by oshirowanen View Post
                    hmm, how much influence does your step dad have on your mom? Will she stand up for you (I'm assuming yes based on above reply)? Can she tame him?
                    Yes she can insha'Allah. But I'm just afraid they'll think I'm a weirdo who wants to become muslim because of all the attacks.

Comment

Yes she can insha'Allah. But I'm just afraid they'll think I'm a weirdo who wants to become muslim because of all the attacks.
                      What if through ramadhan, you ate at the local mosque and told your parents that you've got some activities going on from 6pm onwards which is why you can't make it for dinner? Then after ramadhan, chat to your mom first, get her on your side, then the both of you can tackle your step dad. With only a few days left for ramadha, I don't think this news should be rushed.

Comment

Originally posted by babadods View Post
                        but you can for 30 days eat out :D
                        ahh too bad bro your an hour away from me
                        i hope it goes well and i think what you should do is tell them now before it hits ramadan so they know not to make anything for you etc it's best it's out now than later tbh and just tell them that you're the same son as you have always been and that this won't change anything for you and that you still love them like you have always done, you dutch ppl are really sensitive so i can imagine them saying Oh, mijn God a lot but i guess you'll have to sweeten things down and just tell them that you love them and that nothing has changed etc and just that you choose this way of life.
                        Perhaps soon when I come out of the closet we can meet haha :D

Comment

Perhaps soon when I come out of the closet we can meet haha :D
                          for sure bro!! i tend to visit belgium and stuff and i won't mind coming to the netherlands for a chill too :D

Comment

May allah make it easy for you. saying you are muslim is so hard but once you do it you will be truly happy. I had a double life from 16yo to 20yo and I read quran secret and prayer. I could not hide it anymore and I told them. They knew I was investegating islam and I told them this is what I want and alhamduillah they said ok it is your life. talk to your parents that this is what makes you happy. talk to them that this is what you want with your life. show them the mercy of islam and that you won't change because you are muslim. If you ever want to talk I am here. I know what you go trough.

Comment

Brother, they will not be happy, its a reality, but then again, you will be muslim forever so you will have to go through the talk eventually so you have to just do it, if you can talk yo both parents at once, if u cant take the one ur most comfy around and say i have to say something. I am a muslim. Its a short sentance you can day it fast and then a convo will start and u cant back out anymore.

May Allah make it easy for you
                              يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Working...
                              X