How to tell parents about islam?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How to tell parents about islam?

You can do this inshaAllah. Support is very important.
    Remember the do's and don't for this matter (the part where you want to inform) If you know of them, if not, I believe its good to know how to handle this.
    You'll be much more confident that way. You can speak to more experienced people who have been through this.

Like some said, if you are not ready, don't rush it. But I understand the situation you are in. Ramadhan is coming. There's always a way to deal with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Abdullah012 View Post
      With Ramadan coming very close, there's no way I can longer hide it from my parents.
      Usually I still eat dinner with my parents at around 6pm, so I HAVE to tell them.

With the Manchester attack still in our memory I'm terrified they'll insult me or mock me etc.

How do I tell them?

Please make dua for me brothers and sisters.
      There are some posts on another thread and I think they bring up many great points regarding practicing in secret.

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...=1#post7399251

http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthrea...=1#post7400214

At the worst, what do you think they will do?
      "Had Allah lifted the veil for his slave and shown him how He handles his affairs for him, and how Allah is more keen for the benefit of the slave than his own self, his heart would have melted out of the love for Allah and would have been torn to pieces out of thankfulness to Allah. Therefore if the pains of this world tire you do not grieve. For it may be that Allah wishes to hear your voice by way of duaa. So pour out your desires in prostration and forget about it and know; that verily Allah does not forget it."
      - Ibn al Qayyim (rahimahullah)

Comment

With Ramadan coming very close, there's no way I can longer hide it from my parents.
        Usually I still eat dinner with my parents at around 6pm, so I HAVE to tell them.

With the Manchester attack still in our memory I'm terrified they'll insult me or mock me etc.

How do I tell them?

Assalamu Alaykoom

Allah SWT said : ("Allah does not charge a soul except [with that within] its capacity ") Quran 2:286

These links will help you

She became Muslim in secret and feared that her family might harm her, so she broke the fast one day in Ramadan; does she have to make it up?

https://islamqa.info/en/188856

She became Muslim recently and cannot practice Islam openly; how can she pray among her Hindu family?

https://islamqa.info/en/165426
        Ibn Al Qayyim may Allah have mercy on him said: ("
        The heart on its journey towards Allah the Exalted is like that of a bird. Love is its head, and fear and hope are its two wings. When the head is healthy, then the two wings will fly well. When the head is cut off, the bird will die. When either of two wings is damaged, the bird becomes vulnerable to every hunter and predator..”
        )

Comment

Originally posted by Tayoofa View Post
          Assalamu Alaykoom

Allah SWT said : ("Allah does not charge a soul except [with that within] its capacity ") Quran 2:286

These links will help you

She became Muslim in secret and feared that her family might harm her, so she broke the fast one day in Ramadan; does she have to make it up?

https://islamqa.info/en/188856

She became Muslim recently and cannot practice Islam openly; how can she pray among her Hindu family?

https://islamqa.info/en/165426
          JazakAllahu Khayran
          Very helpful.

I will fast as much as I can insha'Allah.
          Allah understands the intention of the hearts.
          The Love Allah has for Prophet Muhammad ﷺ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Acm3R7MbO_Q

Comment

JazakAllahu Khayran
            Very helpful.

I will fast as much as I can insha'Allah.
            Allah understands the intention of the hearts.
            Yes brother fast as much as you can and Allah SWT knows how difficult is your situation and all new muslims arournd the world !

Always pray in your sujood (Prostration) that Allah SWT open your parents' heart to Islam ..

And whenever you decide to tell them dont forget to pray first Istikharah prayer ..

How to pray istikhaarah

https://islamqa.info/en/2217

Du'aa:

("O Allaah, I seek Your guidance [in making a choice] by virtue of Your knowledge, and I seek ability by virtue of Your power, and I ask You of Your great bounty. You have power, I have none. And You know, I know not. You are the Knower of hidden things. O Allaah, if in Your knowledge, this matter (then it should be mentioned by name) is good for me both in this world and in the Hereafter (or: in my religion, my livelihood and my affairs), then ordain it for me, make it easy for me, and bless it for me. And if in Your knowledge it is bad for me and for my religion, my livelihood and my affairs (or: for me both in this world and the next), then turn me away from it, [and turn it away from me], and ordain for me the good wherever it may be and make me pleased with it.”)
            Last edited by Tayoofa; 26-05-17, 05:03 PM.
            Ibn Al Qayyim may Allah have mercy on him said: ("
            The heart on its journey towards Allah the Exalted is like that of a bird. Love is its head, and fear and hope are its two wings. When the head is healthy, then the two wings will fly well. When the head is cut off, the bird will die. When either of two wings is damaged, the bird becomes vulnerable to every hunter and predator..”
            )

Comment

Originally posted by Tayoofa View Post
              Yes brother fast as much as you can and Allah SWT knows how difficult is your situation and all new muslims arournd the world !

Always pray in your sujood (Prostration) that Allah SWT open your parents' heart to Islam ..

And whenever you decide to tell them dont forget to pray first Istikharah prayer ..

How to pray istikhaarah

https://islamqa.info/en/2217

Du'aa:

("O Allaah, I seek Your guidance [in making a choice] by virtue of Your knowledge, and I seek ability by virtue of Your power, and I ask You of Your great bounty. You have power, I have none. And You know, I know not. You are the Knower of hidden things. O Allaah, if in Your knowledge, this matter (then it should be mentioned by name) is good for me both in this world and in the Hereafter (or: in my religion, my livelihood and my affairs), then ordain it for me, make it easy for me, and bless it for me. And if in Your knowledge it is bad for me and for my religion, my livelihood and my affairs (or: for me both in this world and the next), then turn me away from it, [and turn it away from me], and ordain for me the good wherever it may be and make me pleased with it.”)

May Allah ('azzawajal) reward you. :jkk:

Comment

My mom is very open minded and liberal and I have a good relationship with her. If it wasn't for my stepdad I already would have told her months ago.
                Because my stepfather is conservative-leaning and he often makes fun of my hobbies and interests and he is pretty adverse to islam.
                I'd start with your mom.
                Tell her about your new religion, and how it has changed you for the better.
                Better person, better son, etc.
                Parents tend to empathy more towards their children, than to their spouse.
                But ask her to keep it a secret until the time comes for you to tell your step father.
                Or even she could give advise on how to inform him.
                “And this worldly life is not but diversion and amusement. And indeed, the home of the Hereafter - that is the [eternal] life, if only they knew.” [29:64]

Comment

How do I tell them?

I remembered you today hows Ramadan going for you bro?

Comment

Originally posted by babadods View Post
                    Yes Im interested to know how does this go as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MuslimThinker View Post
                      Yes Im interested to know how does this go as well.
                      Before Ramadan I concluded that I couldn't tell my parents yet.. So I decided to fast as much days as possible.. However, I've now made it all 10 days alhamdulillah!
                      Some days I didn't have family diners at all, and if I had, I simply wouldn't eat anything and I would say "I'm not hungry yet, I'll eat it tonight".

Strange how they haven't put 2 and 2 together yet..,

Comment

Before Ramadan I concluded that I couldn't tell my parents yet.. So I decided to fast as much days as possible.. However, I've now made it all 10 days alhamdulillah!
                        Some days I didn't have family diners at all, and if I had, I simply wouldn't eat anything and I would say "I'm not hungry yet, I'll eat it tonight".

Strange how they haven't put 2 and 2 together yet..,
                        Allah keep it that way, your in my duas bro keep up the good work drop me a message if ya ever want to chat :D

Comment

Allahumma barik bro and may Allah make it easy for you

I just want to share this

was narrated by Ibn Khuzaymah (1986) and Ibn Hibbaan (7491) from Abu Umaamah al-Baahili who said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Whilst I was sleeping two men came to me and took my by the arm and brought me to a cragged mountain. They said, ‘Climb up.’ I said, ‘I cannot.’ They said, ‘We will make it easy for you.’ So I climbed up until I was at the top of the mountain. Then I heard loud voices. I said, ‘What are these voices?’ They said, ‘This is the howling of the people of Hell.” Then I was taken until I saw people hanging by their hamstrings, with the sides of their mouths torn and blood pouring from their mouths.’ I said, ‘Who are these?’ He said, ‘These are people who broke their fast before it was time.’” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Mawaarid al-Zam’aan, no. 1509.

Al-Albaani (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: This is the punishment of those who fasted then broke the fast deliberately before the time for breaking the fast came, so who about those who do not fast at all? We ask Allaah to keep us safe and sound in this world and in the Hereafter.
                          يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Allah keep it that way, your in my duas bro keep up the good work drop me a message if ya ever want to chat :D
                            Thanks bro. I ask Allah (subhanahu wa ta'ala) to reward you.

Comment

Thanks bro. I ask Allah (subhanahu wa ta'ala) to reward you.
                              Ameen contact houden ja?

Comment

Originally posted by aynina View Post
                                Allahumma barik bro and may Allah make it easy for you

I just want to share this

was narrated by Ibn Khuzaymah (1986) and Ibn Hibbaan (7491) from Abu Umaamah al-Baahili who said: I heard the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) say: “Whilst I was sleeping two men came to me and took my by the arm and brought me to a cragged mountain. They said, ‘Climb up.’ I said, ‘I cannot.’ They said, ‘We will make it easy for you.’ So I climbed up until I was at the top of the mountain. Then I heard loud voices. I said, ‘What are these voices?’ They said, ‘This is the howling of the people of Hell.” Then I was taken until I saw people hanging by their hamstrings, with the sides of their mouths torn and blood pouring from their mouths.’ I said, ‘Who are these?’ He said, ‘These are people who broke their fast before it was time.’” Classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh Mawaarid al-Zam’aan, no. 1509.

Al-Albaani (may Allaah have mercy on him) said: This is the punishment of those who fasted then broke the fast deliberately before the time for breaking the fast came, so who about those who do not fast at all? We ask Allaah to keep us safe and sound in this world and in the Hereafter.
                                BarakAllahu feek sis for the reminder.
                                I will do averything in my power to make it up to the 30 days insha'Allah.

Comment

Working...
                                X