X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Muslim support thread

:salams:

Figured a thread like this would be a good idea (dunno if it will take off though)

Being converts to Islam you don't always get the support you need irl so if you want advice or just want to rant you can post here
    [MENTION=140612]Rifqah[/MENTION] [MENTION=9956]bright[/MENTION]est hour

I'll start, my family is so difficult to be around with Christmas it's not easy. Also something happened with a born "muslim" and my sister that I can't mention here coz I think you lot would start cursing the "Muslim". it's so sad it's not funny
    Last edited by eesa the kiwi; 18-12-16, 05:57 AM.
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Re: New Muslim support thread

:wswrwb:

Great idea for a thread! Mashallah.

I'm just glad I have changed jobs as the outward appearance of changing from non Muslim to Muslim would be really hard to gain acceptance. In a new job people just accept that as they've only known you in that way. However, I am still getting given Christmas cards and I never know what to say. Sometimes I say,
    "You know I'm Muslim right?"
    Other times I say it's a nice card and then add that I wouldn't be sending one in return and people generally laugh.

I've been challenged a lot by other Muslims at work, usually about prayer. I've not come across anyone who prays at work, they must catch up when they get home.

My family is my hardest challenge for me to deal with. I almost have to step outside myself and look at their actions and words dispassionately and examine the cause from their point of view, but it's so difficult as I love them and I want to hug them and say it's still me, I love you so please just be the same with me. It's almost like I can see my brother thinking 'here comes the Muslim' rather than 'here comes my sister'.

He's been okay this week though Alhamdulillah even though I declined to visit him for Christmas. I said I'd come in January instead. He asked me if I would have a gift and I said I'd rather not and he joked that he would save money, which was super nice of him to lighten it a bit. So I laughed and said that there was always a bright side to these things.

Comment

Originally posted by Rifqah View Post
      :wswrwb:

Great idea for a thread! Mashallah.

I'm just glad I have changed jobs as the outward appearance of changing from non Muslim to Muslim would be really hard to gain acceptance. In a new job people just accept that as they've only known you in that way. However, I am still getting given Christmas cards and I never know what to say. Sometimes I say,
      "You know I'm Muslim right?"
      Other times I say it's a nice card and then add that I wouldn't be sending one in return and people generally laugh.

I've been challenged a lot by other Muslims at work, usually about prayer. I've not come across anyone who prays at work, they must catch up when they get home.

My family is my hardest challenge for me to deal with. I almost have to step outside myself and look at their actions and words dispassionately and examine the cause from their point of view, but it's so difficult as I love them and I want to hug them and say it's still me, I love you so please just be the same with me. It's almost like I can see my brother thinking 'here comes the Muslim' rather than 'here comes my sister'.

He's been okay this week though Alhamdulillah even though I declined to visit him for Christmas. I said I'd come in January instead. He asked me if I would have a gift and I said I'd rather not and he joked that he would save money, which was super nice of him to lighten it a bit. So I laughed and said that there was always a bright side to these things.
      Just think of how proud of you you family will be on Qiyyamah when they see the honor inshaAllah Allah will give you for being a believer despite the trials you go through
      It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
      "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Comment

Originally posted by eesa the kiwi View Post
        Just think of how proud of you you family will be on Qiyyamah when they see the honor inshaAllah Allah will give you for being a believer despite the trials you go through
        Inshallah, who knows what Allah (swt) will give me. Hopefully it will be according to His mercy rather than what I deserve.

Comment

:salams

Also something happened with a born "muslim" and my sister that I can't mention here coz I think you lot would start cursing the "Muslim". it's so sad it's not funny
          A weak Muslim needs dua, education and encouragement towards iman, not cursing. It's probably a good decision not to reveal it though, mashallah, for the sake of the brother and your sister.

We converts have these tests but born Muslims have cultural ones equally as challenging from what I read.

I'm so glad you made this thread where we can support each other.

:jkk:

Comment

Brothers: [MENTION=125144]Abdulwadood[/MENTION] [MENTION=123043]Grandad[/MENTION]

Sisters:
            [MENTION=74921]Hannahk92[/MENTION] [MENTION=131794]Yasirah87[/MENTION] [MENTION=110507]aynina[/MENTION] [MENTION=136675]xlouise[/MENTION] [MENTION=140988]noraina[/MENTION]

(It might be good idea for us to tag a few of the other revert brothers and sisters. Baarakallah feek, dear br Eesa. You know how I feel About this thread. May Allah Ta'aalaa make it a means of good for you and others.)
            LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
            -------------------------------
            "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
            NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Comment

What type of support
              يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Originally posted by aynina View Post
                What type of support
                Encouragement sis :D

Comment

( brothers: [MENTION=99637]Gingerbeardman[/MENTION] [MENTION=141687]Pablo[/MENTION] [MENTION=141714]Ibn Musa[/MENTION] [MENTION=4848]ashraf[/MENTION] [MENTION=140538]Doobie[/MENTION] [MENTION=119630]toska[/MENTION]

Sisters: [MENTION=107240]brightesthour[/MENTION] [MENTION=46389]Sister_2009[/MENTION] )
                  LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAH
                  -------------------------------
                  "And if you would count the graces of God, never could you be able to count them. Truly, God is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful." (Qur'aan 16:18)
                  NOTE: Please kindly do NOT rep my posts. (Jazaa'akumullah).

Comment

Encouragement sis :D
                    Yea i might beed some lol
                    يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

This made me think of [MENTION=140452]elliemurray99[/MENTION] although she's no longer active on this forum.

Comment

All of born Muslims may forsake you and discriminate against you.
                        Non Muslim think you have betrayed their religion by accepting Islam (as if it's a soccer match n u have changed team) -__- !

And what Muslims think is something far more worse (minus the sugar coated and double faced peeps)

But Allāh azza wajal never forsakes his Muslim slave.
                        I am a witness to that.

He ALWAYS helps

do not revolt against the rulers nor backbite them (they will be accountable for their deeds) don't revile the Salafi scholars.

Comment

It's just come to my attention that I have Christmas gifts to open. I didn't think they'd get me any or include me as they know I'm not Christian any more but my sister said everyone celebrates Christmas even Atheists.

What is the best thing to do?
                          I think one of them is a tablet but don't let that sway your advice.

:)

Comment

It's just come to my attention that I have Christmas gifts to open. I didn't think they'd get me any or include me as they know I'm not Christian any more but my sister said everyone celebrates Christmas even Atheists.

I'm in a similar situation, I tell my family not to buy me presents but they do anyway

Don't really know how to handle it

Comment

You can accept their gifts, just don't offer one in return.

"With regard to accepting a gift from a kaafir on the day of his festival, there is nothing wrong with that, and that is not regarded as participating in it or approving of it, rather it should be accepted as an act of kindness, with the aim of softening his heart and calling him to Islam. Allaah has permitted kindness and fair treatment towards the kaafir who is not fighting the Muslims, as He says (interpretation of the meaning):

“Allaah does not forbid you to deal justly and kindly with those who fought not against you on account of religion nor drove you out of your homes. Verily, Allaah loves those who deal with equity”

[al-Mumtahanah 60:8]"

https://islamqa.info/en/85108

Comment

Working...
                              X