Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you reverted did you change your name?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: When you reverted did you change your name?

Originally posted by SaraVR View Post
    I reverted just today. I'm unsure if I will change my name. I think changing your name means you're a different person. I'm the same person as I always was, just happier. So maybe I'll keep mine
    I'm genuinely happy for you sister, Ma Shaa Allah :D May Allah keep you happy and steadfast in your deen, and guide every doubting heart :)

Comment

I hate it when people change their names, especially to names like Ahmed or Mohammed. Can't George or Jane be a Muslim? I'm not gonna change my name, that's for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by IlFaraone View Post
        I hate it when people change their names, especially to names like Ahmed or Mohammed. Can't George or Jane be a Muslim? I'm not gonna change my name, that's for sure.
        What's wrong with Ahmed and Mohammad? I mean I have both in my name

People name that because those are names of Prophet(S). And you can fit it into your culture if you want, for example, Turks use Mehmet instead of Mohammad and Chinese use Ma.

Comment

:salams

It's about identifying as a Muslim not only to yourself but outwardly to the world. That's one reason to choose to change your name as a convert.

George, Harry and Molly can all be Muslims of course but you wouldn't know if they were Muslims by that name.

For me, people who see me now know that I'm Muslim instantly. I want everyone to know that if they only see me on a paper or screen list.

Comment

Originally posted by Rifqah View Post

It's about identifying as a Muslim not only to yourself but outwardly to the world. That's one reason to choose to change your name as a convert.

George, Harry and Molly can all be Muslims of course but you wouldn't know if they were Muslims by that name.

For me, people who see me now know that I'm Muslim instantly. I want everyone to know that if they only see me on a paper or screen list.
            Your written name to the majority will mean one thing...that your foreign. They won't know it's a Muslim name.

Comment

Originally posted by zi-zizou View Post
              Your written name to the majority will mean one thing...that your foreign. They won't know it's a Muslim name.
              If by "they" you mean non Muslims then who cares?

Other Muslims would know. Immediately they know for sure that we are brothers and sisters. There are so many Muslims who don't identify as such, you can't avoid a name. You know that even if they are far from practising, you can encourage and remind them.

For converts I've come to believe it's imperative to change your name to something overtly Islamic.

Comment

If by "they" you mean non Muslims then who cares?

Other Muslims would know. Immediately they know for sure that we are brothers and sisters. There are so many Muslims who don't identify as such, you can't avoid a name. You know that even if they are far from practising, you can encourage and remind them.

For converts I've come to believe it's imperative to change your name to something overtly Islamic.
                I guess...I'm just not in written comms with Muslims where they might not be sure I'm Muslim or not.

But changing your name is a positive move.

Comment

Originally posted by Spicen View Post
                  What's wrong with Ahmed and Mohammad? I mean I have both in my name

People name that because those are names of Prophet(S). And you can fit it into your culture if you want, for example, Turks use Mehmet instead of Mohammad and Chinese use Ma.
                  Oh, come on, you got yourself banned AGAIN?

I didn't mean to say that there's something wrong with Ahmed or Mohammed, there isn't, but it's just so cliché. It's as if George or Jane can't be Muslim.

Comment

I get what you're saying, but I don't want people to think that only Ahmeds and Mohammeds can be Muslim, but that others can be too.

Comment

I never changed mine and do not plan to. It’s a good name, and I want to keep my identity.

Comment

I get what you're saying, but I don't want people to think that only Ahmeds and Mohammeds can be Muslim, but that others can be too.
                        True, but being inclusive about names is a positive thing?

Someone pious must/might have named that baby and to include them only to find out they're not Muslim is a good conversation to have. At least it brings the most important topic to the table right at the start, in any relationship, business or personal.

Comment

No. But I already had a Muslim name to begin with.

Anyway if I had another name I wouldn't change it.

Comment

I haven't my name is halal anyway :up:

Comment

I definitely want to change my name, as my new identity (and everyone who believes) is found in the teachings of the Holy Quran.

Comment

No, I didn’t change my name because Kyle can still be a Muslim and if I changed my name to Islamic, would half the people even know it was Islamic or would they think it’s pissibly Hindu, or something else lol!

Kyle can be Muslim. I’m Kyle. I’m not changing it. If someone wants to call me something in Arabic, they can say “Abdullah” or “slave of God” which is the best name in Gods eyes.
                                Kyle

Comment

Working...
                                X