Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When you reverted did you change your name?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When you reverted did you change your name?

:salams:

Question in title.

I haven't and I don't plan on changing it. I like my name, and well that's basically the only reason. I don't suit any of the Islamic names anyways, can't even pronounce most of them correctly.

Sisters at the masjid wanted to give me a new name and I told them I was keeping my name. They just said it was what they'd call me, that I didn't need to change it. I just didn't get why they didn't want to call me by my name.
    Yes
    15.38%
    No
    84.62%
    Last edited by brightesthour; 08-08-16, 07:07 AM.

Re: When you reverted did you change your name?

When I took shahadah the iman called me muhamed eesa
    But people mainly still call me by my given name so not much has changed
    It may not be easy, you may not understand it, but you need to have the Imaan to trust Allah when life doesn't make sense.
    "Whoever intends eternal happiness, then let him hold tight to the threshold of servitude.” ibn Taymiyyah.

Comment

:wswrwb:

I remember a muslim brother saying when he was a kid he wanted to convert to Islam, but the brother he was talking to said he had to change his name. He got scared of what his parents might say and do so he decided not to convert. He did end up converting later on in life Alhamdulillah.

I think people make the name change too much of a big deal and it puts off some people. I don't see why people have to change their name unless their name means something haraam.

I'm not a convert but my parents are, and yes they did get new names.
      Narrated Anas:
      The Prophet (ﷺ) said, "None of you will have faith till he wishes for his (Muslim) brother what he likes for himself." [Bukhari]

Comment

I found a suitable Muslim name for myself years after I converted but I haven't changed my name officially (maybe some day in shaa Allaah).
        Almost no one calls me by my Muslim name, sisters prefer to call me my by my "real" name.
        Last edited by Muslimah_08; 08-08-16, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by eesa the kiwi View Post
          When I took shahadah the iman called me muhamed eesa
          But people mainly still call me by my given name so not much has changed
          Did he talk to you at all about the name or did he just come up with it when he met you?

None of the sisters knew what to call me lol, so they kept calling me by my real name of course, but they said they wanted to give me a new name. Made me a lil nervous.

Originally posted by ms.muslimah View Post

I remember a muslim brother saying when he was a kid he wanted to convert to Islam, but the brother he was talking to said he had to change his name. He got scared of what his parents might say and do so he decided not to convert. He did end up converting later on in life Alhamdulillah.

I think people make the name change too much of a big deal and it puts off some people. I don't see why people have to change their name unless their name means something haraam.

I'm not a convert but my parents are, and yes they did get new names.
          Yeah my name means nothing haram so I don't see any point in changing it. My mom and dad would be sad if I changed my name like that too, and I wouldn't wanna hurt their feelings.

I'm glad that man ended up converting.
          Originally posted by Muslimah_08 View Post

I found a suitable Muslim name for myself years after I converted but I haven't changed my name officially (maybe some day in shaa Allaah).
          Almost no one calls me by my Muslim name, sisters prefer to call me my by my "real" name.
          Do ypu prefer they call you by your birth name of by your Muslim name? I suppose since you wanna change it you'd prefer they call you by your Muslim name. If that's what you want I hope they start calling you by your Muslim name, they may just be do used to calling you by your birth name but maybe once you change it officially they'll stop.

Comment

I should've put a maybe or something on the poll choices lol

Comment

I reverted just today. I'm unsure if I will change my name. I think changing your name means you're a different person. I'm the same person as I always was, just happier. So maybe I'll keep mine

Comment

Originally posted by brightesthour View Post
                Do ypu prefer they call you by your birth name of by your Muslim name? I suppose since you wanna change it you'd prefer they call you by your Muslim name. If that's what you want I hope they start calling you by your Muslim name, they may just be do used to calling you by your birth name but maybe once you change it officially they'll stop.
                I don't know. I'm not used to be called by my Muslim name so it feels weird when someone calls me by it. But sometimes I think it would be nice to be called by "Muslim name" and not "kafir name". I don't know.. lol

Comment

Originally posted by SaraVR View Post
                  I reverted just today. I'm unsure if I will change my name. I think changing your name means you're a different person. I'm the same person as I always was, just happier. So maybe I'll keep mine
                  Wow, congratulations!! How did it go, did you say it alone, to someone on the forum, or did you say it at a masjid? Please share! :) . I love revert stories lol

That's how I feel too.

Originally posted by Muslimah_08 View Post
                  I don't know. I'm not used to be called by my Muslim name so it feels weird when someone calls me by it. But sometimes I think it would be nice to be called by "Muslim name" and not "kafir name". I don't know.. lol
                  Yeah, I'd forget and if someone was talking to me or calling me by that name I might not realize they're talking to me lol. I think the weirdness will subside though, maybe just ask the sisters you know to call you by your Muslim name instead, that way when you change it permanently it won't feel as strange.

Comment

Oh sister! Congratulations!
                    May Allah swt grant you ease and bless you abundantly.

You can benefit a lot from this online community! Post here whenever you need and you will always find some nice sisters and kind brothers to answer your doubts. And you can PM me anytime you need :)

Comment

Originally posted by brightesthour View Post
                      Wow, congratulations!! How did it go, did you say it alone, to someone on the forum, or did you say it at a masjid? Please share! :) . I love revert stories lol

That's how I feel too.

It was good. I said it with my friend and her father as witnesses. There both Muslims. I thought it would make me happy but it made me emotional first. I wasn't expecting that. I cried first

Originally posted by Alina15 View Post
                      Oh sister! Congratulations!
                      May Allah swt grant you ease and bless you abundantly.

You can benefit a lot from this online community! Post here whenever you need and you will always find some nice sisters and kind brothers to answer your doubts. And you can PM me anytime you need :)
                      I have had a lot of help here already, I feel at home on this forum. I will need a lot of help, I first have to learn to pray and then I will find a hijab. It might take a while for me to used to things

Comment

It's not a must unless your name is Christina or something like that..
                        رَّبِّ ارْحَمْهُمَا كَمَا رَبَّيَانِي صَغِيرًا

Comment

Originally posted by Umm Uthmaan View Post
                          It's not a must unless your name is Christina or something like that..
                          Is Sara an ok name? I must look up a list of names and see

Comment

:salams

Yes Sara is a good name ma'shaa'ALLAH because the wife of Prophet Ibraheem was named Sara.
                            ALLAH AL-AZEEM is the one and only GOD and ALLAH AL-AZEEM created everything. Therefore ALLAH AL-AZEEM created the Earth and created everything in the Earth and created all of the heavens and created everything in all of the heavens and created all of the hells and created everything in all of the hells and created all of the universes and created everything in all of the universes and created everything in between them.

Comment

Yh it's totally fine. A lot of muslimahs are called Sahra and it is also the name of prophet Ibrahims (ra) wife.
                              رَّبِّ ارْحَمْهُمَا كَمَا رَبَّيَانِي صَغِيرًا

Comment

Working...
                              X