Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Question on Salaams...

Originally posted by `asiya View Post
    Its completely different, we have been told to say as salamu alaikum when meeting another muslim and spread the salam. our sister asked about all this other stuff is it from Islam? and no for sure it is not. If people want to kiss peoples hands,heads,touch their hearts, lips,heads, shoulders,do a little dance, jump up and down and do a cartwheel when they say salam then thats up to them, but a muslim does not have to do this, a muslim just has to say salam.

i was in a shoe shop with my son in town buying trainers and some asian bloke came up to me told me how beautiful i looked and bowed and curtseyed and sort of waved his hand down to the floor like people do when they meet the queen and said salam to me
    no offence sis but does the whole forum need to know? :S as to the topic, i agree with ze, different people have different ways of greeting, i usually give a hug to sisters with salaam, most arab sisters i know do the hug + cheeks touching three kisses on alternate sides thing which i always mess up @) it's not like it's wrong or bad to do it stuff that isn't a sunnah but is not forbidden or disliked either.. there is room in islam for personal preference and difference! as long as you're not doing something which involves imitating another religious group, like the Hindus is a good example sis asiya gave as in they have very distinct traditions of doing things, touching feet to take blessings being one of them. but yeh different cultures have different ways of showing affection and so on.. like with some pakis a grown woman wouldn't kiss their uncles or grandads etc cuz its not the done thing, so the uncle or whoever touches the head as a sign of affection.. it seems one tradition stretches across all cultures though.. the dreaded old aunties with no teeth giving kids slobbering kisses on their faces.. *muhahaha*
    My Lord, my trust in all Your purposes is strong, That trust is now my shield; I'm safe, and undeceived.- Ali bin Husayn al-Habshi

Real forsaking is forgetting the thing forsaken.- Shaykh al-Shadhili

Live as long as you wish, you shall die. Love whatever you wish, you shall be separated from it. Do whatever you wish, you shall be rewarded for it. - Jibreel (as)

ياَ أَبَا اَلزَّهْرَاء وَلَّذِي صَانَكْ- لاَتُخَيِّبْنَا يَا سِيْدِي نَحْنُ ضِيْفَانَكْ
    O father of Zahra, for the sake of the One who protected you,
    Please do not leave us disappointed, O master, we are your guests. - Shaykh Ahmad al-Alawi (rh)

أَنتَ رَبّي وَ عِلْمُكَ حَسْبِيْ. فَنِعْمَ الرَّبُّ رَبِّي وَ نِعْمَ الحَسْبُ حَسْبِيْ.ـ حِزْبُ البَحْر

Comment

Originally posted by Chained_Water View Post
      no offence sis but does the whole forum need to know? :S
      its just an example of peoples cultural ways and how strange some of these things seem to people from different cultures. In my culture we dont shake hands or kiss or anything were quite shy people, but when i meet muslims from other cultures i just do what they do when i see my egyptian sisters they kiss u 4 times as they say salam, when i meet morroccon sisters they kiss u twice, algerians kiss me 3 times, french sisters kiss me twice and czech and bangladeshi sisters dont kiss me at all , my biggest worry is remembering how many kisses each culture has cos if u misstime it can be embaressing :S
      "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

Its completely different, we have been told to say as salamu alaikum when meeting another muslim and spread the salam. our sister asked about all this other stuff is it from Islam? and no for sure it is not. If people want to kiss peoples hands,heads,touch their hearts, lips,heads, shoulders,do a little dance, jump up and down and do a cartwheel when they say salam then thats up to them, but a muslim does not have to do this, a muslim just has to say salam.

i was in a shoe shop with my son in town buying trainers and some asian bloke came up to me told me how beautiful i looked and bowed and curtseyed and sort of waved his hand down to the floor like people do when they meet the queen and said salam to me

that's nice... sis.... who's this asian bloke? is he taking a fancy on you...? .... is that why you have a nice new sparkling car you...? ;)

mmm... ok.... i understand what you guys are saying... i just tot the head, nose, lips has something to do with age and status....

ok... now what about the feet? i have heard something about it before... esp. around Ramadan period, you know when you ask for forgiveness from husband and parents...?:S
        Last edited by PiElle; 22-05-07, 03:24 AM.
        :up: :lailah: :up:

Comment

its just an example of peoples cultural ways and how strange some of these things seem to people from different cultures. In my culture we dont shake hands or kiss or anything were quite shy people, but when i meet muslims from other cultures i just do what they do when i see my egyptian sisters they kiss u 4 times as they say salam, when i meet morroccon sisters they kiss u twice, algerians kiss me 3 times, french sisters kiss me twice and czech and bangladeshi sisters dont kiss me at all , my biggest worry is remembering how many kisses each culture has cos if u misstime it can be embaressing :S

LOL

Comment

no offence sis but does the whole forum need to know? :S as to the topic, i agree with ze, different people have different ways of greeting, i usually give a hug to sisters with salaam, most arab sisters i know do the hug + cheeks touching three kisses on alternate sides thing which i always mess up @) it's not like it's wrong or bad to do it stuff that isn't a sunnah but is not forbidden or disliked either.. there is room in islam for personal preference and difference! as long as you're not doing something which involves imitating another religious group, like the Hindus is a good example sis asiya gave as in they have very distinct traditions of doing things, touching feet to take blessings being one of them. but yeh different cultures have different ways of showing affection and so on.. like with some pakis a grown woman wouldn't kiss their uncles or grandads etc cuz its not the done thing, so the uncle or whoever touches the head as a sign of affection.. it seems one tradition stretches across all cultures though.. the dreaded old aunties with no teeth giving kids slobbering kisses on their faces.. *muhahaha*

hi sis.... long time.... (kiss kiss hug hug) how are you....?

ya what ever, it's restricted... woman to woman, man to man... :)

Comment

Originally posted by PiElle View Post
              hi sis.... long time.... (kiss kiss hug hug) how are you....?

ya what ever, it's restricted... woman to woman, man to man... :)
              yeh sis its been ages.. i'm fine alhamdulillah, how are you? :D ..it's cool that you are back around ummah and posting again :love:
              My Lord, my trust in all Your purposes is strong, That trust is now my shield; I'm safe, and undeceived.- Ali bin Husayn al-Habshi

Real forsaking is forgetting the thing forsaken.- Shaykh al-Shadhili

Live as long as you wish, you shall die. Love whatever you wish, you shall be separated from it. Do whatever you wish, you shall be rewarded for it. - Jibreel (as)

ياَ أَبَا اَلزَّهْرَاء وَلَّذِي صَانَكْ- لاَتُخَيِّبْنَا يَا سِيْدِي نَحْنُ ضِيْفَانَكْ
              O father of Zahra, for the sake of the One who protected you,
              Please do not leave us disappointed, O master, we are your guests. - Shaykh Ahmad al-Alawi (rh)

أَنتَ رَبّي وَ عِلْمُكَ حَسْبِيْ. فَنِعْمَ الرَّبُّ رَبِّي وَ نِعْمَ الحَسْبُ حَسْبِيْ.ـ حِزْبُ البَحْر

Comment

yeh sis its been ages.. i'm fine alhamdulillah, how are you? :D ..it's cool that you are back around ummah and posting again :love:

TOP! :up:

Comment

Asalamalikum.

I also have a few people that put their hand to my cheek and kiss my forhead when saying salam to me. I knew it was odd but I say nothing of it as they are very nice people and they are elderly and consider themselves my honourary parents.
                  We have a saying over here in Manchester where we refer to someone as a 'TP' = typical paki, which everybody espeically the younger asian community use. It's just meant to refer to anyone who sticks to what we consider odd practices and customs from 'back home' It does sound a bit harsh and out of order when you think about it but it's not normally said in a nasty way...just implying someone is a bit odd or said affectionaly to someone. It's used for everything like TP haircut, TP clothes, TP music etc ;)
                  - *[Mabrook, you just earned blessings by reading my sig :D ]*

Comment

Originally posted by PiElle View Post
                    Recently I have been invited to some gatherings, and most of them are like relatives and they salaam one another...

And I observed among the sisters, when the younger ones give salaam to the elder sisters, they placed their hands on their forehead, some on their nose, some on their lips...

Please tell me if there is any difference...

Thanks!:)
                    I have noticed that this is common among Indian and some other south asian muslims.

Its a cultural thing. Like someone said, probably taken from the hindus since that is the dominant culture in many areas of south asia.

I find it uncomfortable when other men grab my hand (holding it) and lead me here or there. My Jordanian friend did this a lot and another friend of mine from Pakistan also.

I tolerate it though since it is common among either their culture or families.
                    Visit our Forum

IslamFactor

Comment

you're here mashaAllah :up: welcome to our little reverts hidey hole
                      [CENTER]
                      [/CENTER]
                      [CENTER]
                      [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                      [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by dhakiyya View Post
                        you're here mashaAllah :up: welcome to our little reverts hidey hole
                        :jkk:sis! :):)
                        Visit our Forum

IslamFactor

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                        X