X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'what is a musalah?

Salaam everyone

Can anyone tell me what a musalah is?

I think it might be a place to join others for prayers? Are they usually men only prayer venues if they are?

Many thanks
    http://jameelah61.wordpress.com/

Re: 'what is a musalah?

to me musalah means prayer mat...
    but maybe they mean a prayer place aswell.
    well literally it does mean a place where u do ur salah but normally we say masjid (place were u do ur sujood/prostration = mosque)
    anyway... it would depend from place to place if it is men only or if it has a women's area
    <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Originally posted by anna2000uk View Post
      to me musalah means prayer mat...
      but maybe they mean a prayer place aswell.
      well literally it does mean a place where u do ur salah but normally we say masjid (place were u do ur sujood/prostration = mosque)
      anyway... it would depend from place to place if it is men only or if it has a women's area
      Thanks Anna,

I have noticed a few listings for them in some of the muslim newsletters I subscribe to and when I did a google search it gave the impression it was a place of prayer when no masjid is available.

Wasalaam

Comment

I guess just go down to one of the places listed n see what they have there, n ask the people if they have sisters area or ne circles going on there or nething?
        <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Originally posted by anna2000uk View Post
          I guess just go down to one of the places listed n see what they have there, n ask the people if they have sisters area or ne circles going on there or nething?
          Yes, when I am near one I will do so insha allah though I'm not sure when that will be

it just opens up some possible new places to make contact with people.

Comment

Basically Carol, when youve finished praying on your Musalah (prayer mat), you must close it and fold it up, because if you dont, Shaytaan will pray on it...

:I
            Please Re-update your Signature

Comment

Originally posted by TEH View Post
              Basically Carol, when youve finished praying on your Musalah (prayer mat), you must close it and fold it up, because if you dont, Shaytaan will pray on it...

:I
              well it won't be a shaytaan if its praying will it? it'll be one of the Muslim jinn.

As far as I know there is no basis in Qur'an or Sunnah for this. If there is, please post it so I know :) thanks

though of course you should look after your prayer mat and keep it clean. So folding it after you use it is sensible for that reason.
              Last edited by dhak1yya; 20-12-06, 01:10 PM.
              [CENTER]
              [/CENTER]
              [CENTER]
              [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
              [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by carol_au View Post
                Salaam everyone

Can anyone tell me what a musalah is?

I think it might be a place to join others for prayers? Are they usually men only prayer venues if they are?

Many thanks
                If a prayer hall is not being used then women can pray there. if there is only one and its full of men its better to pray elsewhere. Usually where there is just one hall you have the women at the back, preferably behind a screen although it is not strictly necessary. It is also preferable to have a separate entrance for sisters but if the room is not a purpose built prayer hall it is unlikely to have this.

For friday prayers if it is a small mosque and there is not enough room even for the brothers all to fit in, then they may ask the sisters not to come to friday prayers because its compulsory for men but not for women. However Muhammad :saw: said that men are not allowed to prevent women from coming to the mosques. So having men only at friday prayers cause of space issues would only be a temporary measure until the community can build a large enough mosque.
                [CENTER]
                [/CENTER]
                [CENTER]
                [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

It was a joke Dhakiyyah...have you never heard Azhar Usman?

See the irony is..whats so bad about Shaytaan praying...

:)

Comment

I won't answer that one.. my previous understanding of Shaytaan and the one I am learning are so far apart I can't imagine shaytaan praying..

and anyway I have a special home for my prayer rug and it's folded up together with my how to pray "cheat sheet'" :)

Comment

Haha, it just shows the sillyness of culture, because usually its oldies who come out with stuff like that, and then you think about it, and you realise how stupid it is...

And yeah dont worry, I have a cheat sheet in my pocket sometimes too...

;)

Comment

Haha, it just shows the sillyness of culture, because usually its oldies who come out with stuff like that, and then you think about it, and you realise how stupid it is...

And yeah dont worry, I have a cheat sheet in my pocket sometimes too...

;)
                        I can sigh with relief then :) cos I must admit a lot of what I read about Islamic ideas seem just plain superstition to me.

but then again.. i'm sure christian ones do to non christians as well.

Comment

*phew!*

this was told to me as an example of a pakistani superstition with no basis in Qur'an and Sunnah, and why you should always check what you are told :up: you had me worried for a moment cause one of the purposes of this forum is to help new Muslims avoid cultural superstition lol :p
                          [CENTER]
                          [/CENTER]
                          [CENTER]
                          [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                          [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Originally posted by dhakiyya View Post
                            *phew!*

this was told to me as an example of a pakistani superstition with no basis in Qur'an and Sunnah, and why you should always check what you are told :up: you had me worried for a moment cause one of the purposes of this forum is to help new Muslims avoid cultural superstition lol :p

The other side of it dhakiyya is we must learn what is cultural superstion or else it is emphasised over the true stuff.. I had a good laugh at this one and sometimes that is the best way to learn :)

I was reading some things today given to me years ago.. and it was based on Islam in Pakistan and it said that this is true Islam.. and infact I'm sure it is not.. though I will check it out :)

Comment

i have an info thing i wrote on superstition which i hav=dn't posted yet. perhaps now is a good time?

the way to check anything is genuine Islam is to ask for evidence from Qur'an ans Sunnah. I have posted an info thread about evidence which is linked to from the sticky about info threads. (the bit in big red letters)
                              [CENTER]
                              [/CENTER]
                              [CENTER]
                              [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
                              [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X