Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good books (material) you would recommend for reverts...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good books (material) you would recommend for reverts...

...or even those who are close to accepting Islam...

I guess in a way it does depend on what interests them in Islam, but yeah, which books would you advise? Oh my dear reverts, which books rocked your socks?

:)
    Please Re-update your Signature

Re: Good books (material) you would recommend for reverts...

Originally posted by TEH View Post
    ...or even those who are close to accepting Islam...

I guess in a way it does depend on what interests them in Islam, but yeah, which books would you advise? Oh my dear reverts, which books rocked your socks?

:)

Without doubt.. the most useful and important first book I would recommend from the many I have been sent is this one Towards Understanding Islam by ABUL A'LA Mawdudi

http://www.ymsite.com/books/tui/tui.html

I think every human being should read that one :up: I can honestly say when I started reading this book.. the doubts and confusion I was feeling started to lift once and for all.. specially after the first superb chapter. Masha Allah

and I have just started listening to the first cd's of a series also sent to me called "life of the Prophets" .by Anwar al-Awlaki ,

this is a bit heavier.. but for people like me who have come from a heavily theologically trained background.. this is the sort of meat we need :)
    http://jameelah61.wordpress.com/

Comment

i think that would be th Qur'an :D lol :p

seriously, I'd recommend MAS Abdel Haleem's translation that has recently come out and is in eloquent contemporary English and ideal for first time reading of the meaning of the Qur'an
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
      [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Yup Quran is a must have, obviously :up: Plus I agree with Dhakiyya the Abdel Haleem translation seems good. (also a good point to it, it is only in the English so sisters u can read it ne time rather than the arabic one, during menstruation cant touch it.) But once u learn 2 read arabic letters, should also get one with arabic in it insha allah.

Also I think some others which would be good for new muslims (actually for anyone they are good) to build up a good foundation of knowledge would be:

riyadh us saliheen - a comprehensive collection of hadiths with all different topics. its really nice :) if not then imam nawawis 40 hadiths although smaller will also be good, i think its useful 2 get familiar with both quran and hadiths at the start. There are a lot of different hadith collections around, and any would do really but one tip... check inside the book first b4 buying because I have one really big book of hadiths with english and arabic. the arabic is of course fine, BUT the english must have been translated by someone not good in the language because it is barely understandable.

a biography of the prophet :saw: - I have 3 dif ones to recommend which I think depends on personal pref as all are good:
        Muhammad by Martin Lings, its quite in depth.
        The Splitting of the Moon by Safiurrahman Mubarakpuri, its a bit easier to read like cut into smaller sections and a bit more easier language.
        Muhammad the last prophet by Sayid Abul Hasan Ali Nadawi - is aimed more for teenage or younger audience, but still i really enjoyed it. I think for younger reverts or if they have a lesser proficiency in english or something it will be easier than for example martin Lings.

Then I think with the basics of quran, hadith and seera covered by the above, people should just select whichever topics appeals to them personally. If you have access to any islamic bookstore, for example in a mosque, or jst a seperate one, or if not then online ones... just browse n select which u think is interesting. For London reverts I suggest you go to Regents park mosque book shop, or else Whitechapel there are some good places (personally I prefer Ajwa, behind the mosque and down the road a little bit). If anyone is from London n they want someone 2 take em, I will also take u to these places if u need or want (sisters, obv... but ne bros my hubby cn take u :p) Anyway in these places u can get the smaller books for cheap like £3 or so, so its not too bad u can jst pick anything :D

Also listening to talks is really good, lately i became so keen 2 listening 2 em :inlove: sooo... go to these websites cos u can download for free:
        www.kalamullah.com
        www.streetdawa.com
        www.aswatulislam.com

chose whichever ones appeal to u... if it gives a choice which speaker, like u can click any but if u want a recommendation from me, try imam anwar al awlaki and muhammad al shareef? :)

Btw just to add, when I became muslim I did not hav access 2 that many books... so these are not necessarily wat i read str8 away as a new muslim, but jst from myself now i am suggesting em.
        In that time I just read whatever was available but was not necessarily the best.
        Last edited by .: Anna :.; 06-12-06, 06:06 PM.
        <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

1st would be the Quran
          2nd would be A Brief Illustrated Guide To Understanding Islam
          3rd would be Ta'leemul Haq

today a brother reverted, so I gave him my Salat book, a brother gave it to me to help me learn and now its my turn to pass the book on :D
          A small Du'a can make a big difference :D
          Make Dua for your brothers and sisters, wouldn't you want good things to happen to them as much as good things happening to you?

http://onlybeautyinislam.wordpress.com

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
          X