Establishing five daily prayers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Establishing five daily prayers

Establishing five daily prayers is no mean feat. If you have converted from an irreligious or nominally religious background, you may never have done any kind of regular worship before. Even if you have, Islam requires considerably more devotion than a good many religions. Praying five times a day means a lot more remembering to pray and organising your day than going to church every Sunday morning. Then you have to pray at the right times too. Its not just five prayers at any random convenient times. You can download prayer timetables from http://www.islamicfinder.org/ and the best advice would be to print out a copy month by month and keep one stuck to your noticeboard, in your handbag or anywhere convenient so you can refer to it as necessary.

Start by looking at the times for the five daily fard (compulsory) prayers and picking one (or two if you are feeling confident) that you think will be the easiest to stick to. If you have already shown your boss your nice shiny new Islam certificate and s/he has already found you a prayer room, it might be an idea to start with the Dhur (early afternoon) prayer. (If the idea of showing your Islam certificate and asking for a prayer room fills you with horror, Dhur might be the last prayer you decide to establish.)

As you increase the number of prayers, you will find that you may have to adjust your daily schedule to fit your prayers in. This is a good thing to do. The prayer times are reasonably flexible as to not require too much rescheduling, but it is far easier to remember to pray if you have built prayer times into your daily schedule than if you are just trying to remember that you have to pray between particular times. Remembering to pray will always be more difficult when things happen that disrupt your daily schedule, just remember - better late than never.

If you are physically handicapped or have medical problems (e.g. a back injury) that makes praying standing up very hard, you can pray sitting down, or even lying down. The same applies for temporary illness as well as long term conditions.

Learning how to pray

As well as learning how to recite correctly, it is important to know the meaning of what you are reciting. As you learn to recite each new bit of Arabic, try to remember the meaning of what you are reciting. You are not an Arabic parrot, you are a human showing your devotion to your creator. :p

http://www.islamicfinder.org/prayer/index.html
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Re: Establishing five daily prayers

Cool thread masha allah...

Yknow, you tend to use the same method even with Muslims that dont pray. It is best to get them gradually into it instead of making them do all five....

:)
    Please Re-update your Signature

Comment

Originally posted by TEH View Post
      Cool thread masha allah...

Yknow, you tend to use the same method even with Muslims that dont pray. It is best to get them gradually into it instead of making them do all five....

:)
      well I must admit it helps greatly in trying to sort things out.. and set up the patterns.. fajr for me is easy to pray.. the others are not so easy..(purely because of my current living situation) but this week I plan to try and make sure I add asr to them this week insha allah (where to find a good outdoor spot for it)
      http://jameelah61.wordpress.com/

Comment

Originally posted by carol_au View Post
        well I must admit it helps greatly in trying to sort things out.. and set up the patterns.. fajr for me is easy to pray.. the others are not so easy..(purely because of my current living situation) but this week I plan to try and make sure I add asr to them this week insha allah (where to find a good outdoor spot for it)
        We serve such a wonderful God .. I have a place to pray asr already :) and with other mulims too :) I had the courage to tell one of my friends here tonight and she (one of my arabic friends) has now organised for me to go and pray with her for each asr and to do daily arabic study with her .. Alhamdulillah ..

oh it was so nice.. I had dinner with the family and one of the men has been showing me some books and talking to me.. (we have all sat and had a study on islam each week for the past 2, but until tonight I had not told them I had said Shahada) Everything they said confirmed what has been going on in my own life and thinking this past week.. and I just knew I had to tell them.. and it was such a joyful moment to see them break out in praise!
        Last edited by carol_au; 03-12-06, 03:15 PM.

Comment

PRAYING IS GREAT!

May Allah be patient while we get to grips with it:D
          "...Creator of the heavens and the earth! You are my Protector and my Guardian in this world and the Hereafter. Make me die as a Muslim,and join me with the righteous."12:101
          Please as you read this, make du'a to Allah SWT to guide all those "interested in Islam" to take the decisive step.

Comment

We serve such a wonderful God .. I have a place to pray asr already :) and with other mulims too :) I had the courage to tell one of my friends here tonight and she (one of my arabic friends) has now organised for me to go and pray with her for each asr and to do daily arabic study with her .. Alhamdulillah ..

oh it was so nice.. I had dinner with the family and one of the men has been showing me some books and talking to me.. (we have all sat and had a study on islam each week for the past 2, but until tonight I had not told them I had said Shahada) Everything they said confirmed what has been going on in my own life and thinking this past week.. and I just knew I had to tell them.. and it was such a joyful moment to see them break out in praise!
            masha allah carol thats great 2 hear that u have got some support there from the muslims in ur community :D
            <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

I thought of this when Carol mentioned it not easy to pray:

:D
              Please Re-update your Signature

Comment

Originally posted by TEH View Post
                I thought of this when Carol mentioned it not easy to pray:

:D
                Edited as this is now public
                Last edited by carol_au; 06-10-13, 08:57 PM.

Comment

Whilst we are talking prayers.. please can someone tell me more about the sunnah prayers during salat

thanks

Comment

Whilst we are talking prayers.. please can someone tell me more about the sunnah prayers during salat

thanks
                    salam carol

attached to each of the 5 daily salah are some "sunnah prayers" these are extra rukats which the prophet :saw: had the habit of praying.

in the hanafi madhhab (the most common school & the one which i follow) the "sunnah mu'akkadah" which means the definite or certain sunnah prayers, are:

2 rukats before fajr
                    (then 2 rukats fajr itself)

4 rukats before thohr
                    (then 4 rukats fajr itself)
                    2 rukats after thohr

none for asr
                    (just the 4 rukats asr itself)

(3 rukats maghrib itself)
                    2 rukats after maghrib

(4 rukats isha)
                    2 rukats after isha
                    (then 3 rukats for witr)

they are done during the prescribed time for the prayer, the before or after refers to before or after completeing the fardh (Compulsory) rukats.

for many people it will definately be very difficult to establish all the salah including the sunnah, so usually people begin with the fardh ones only n get into a firm routine with that... but still if u feel u want to do the sunnah ones, even if only sometimes then that is something good, but u dnt need to feel pressured to do this all now... it is up to you, what you feel u are comfy with n can manage :)
                    <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Originally posted by anna2000uk View Post
                      salam carol

attached to each of the 5 daily salah are some "sunnah prayers" these are extra rukats which the prophet :saw: had the habit of praying.

in the hanafi madhhab (the most common school & the one which i follow) the "sunnah mu'akkadah" which means the definite or certain sunnah prayers, are:

2 rukats before fajr
                      (then 2 rukats fajr itself)

4 rukats before thohr
                      (then 4 rukats fajr itself)
                      2 rukats after thohr

none for asr
                      (just the 4 rukats asr itself)

(3 rukats maghrib itself)
                      2 rukats after maghrib

(4 rukats isha)
                      2 rukats after isha
                      (then 3 rukats for witr)

they are done during the prescribed time for the prayer, the before or after refers to before or after completeing the fardh (Compulsory) rukats.

for many people it will definately be very difficult to establish all the salah including the sunnah, so usually people begin with the fardh ones only n get into a firm routine with that... but still if u feel u want to do the sunnah ones, even if only sometimes then that is something good, but u dnt need to feel pressured to do this all now... it is up to you, what you feel u are comfy with n can manage :)
                      No.. I'm more than happy to keep learning the fardh prayers .. and do them properly. It was just something that passed my mind reading the forum and hearing people asking about them. I had been told about them when I was introduced to salat .. but hadn't asked where they fitted in, how they fitted in, or where they fitted in..

thanks Anna

btw in answer to your question about support.. I have a small group of muslims here who are shia. My comments to you in the thread on unity and shia were based on their prayers. I'm tying to follow the sunni path, but the families here are keen for me to learn the shia ways.

Personally.. I guess we all have to be something.. but it's enoug for me at the moment to think of myself as muslim

Comment

Hmmm...we as long as they realise they cant try to like push u into becoming shia though? how is the community over there... is it like majority shia or do u have a mix? just worried it may be confusing to be learning from shias only because some of them do have quite funny views, as we were discussin in the general for example cursing the sahabas :S

Comment

deleted as this is now public
                          Last edited by carol_au; 06-10-13, 08:55 PM.

Comment

looool mashaallah @ new more than them :p
                            insha allah i hope u have a few muslims where u are living after u move. i am sure either way, u will be okay but still it is nice to have some muslim company isnt it :)

Comment

Asalamu Alaikum
                              As a new muslim, for now, what im worried about is the fardh prayers...and those consist of 2, 3, and 4 rakaats, depending on which prayer...can anyone tell me the differences between the prayers? or do they all follow a pattern?
                              Insha'Allah Khair
                              Walaikum Asalam

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X