Confusing Islamic terms and some explanations of them

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Confusing Islamic terms and some explanations of them

This list of terms is by no means exhaustive, please feel free to add others or ask the meanings of words here. or correct me if i have made a mistake

There can be few things more confusing than trying to learn about different matters in Islam only to be confronted by a myriad of Arabic (and sometimes also Urdu, Farsi, etc) words sprinkled liberally through the text you are trying to understand.

The reason why Arabic words are kept as they are and not translated much of the time is that frequently there is no corresponding English word and it is more accurate to teach someone the full meaning of the Arabic word than to simply substitute an inandequate English word in its place. Many books in Islam assume that the reader already knows the meanings of these words. The rest of this chapter is an explanation of Arabic words you are likely to come across and an explanation of them. Given that some of these words (like Jihad for example) are misunderstood and misused by the non Muslim media, it would be advantageous to check up on the meaning even if you think you already know it.

Ahadeeth

Shaytaan

Iblees

Jinn

JihadhadJEEEEEE

Salat/Salah

Rakat

Fard

Sunnah

Sunnah

Makrooh

Hadeeth

Fatwa

Sahih/saheeh

Hasan

Imaan

Imamnot equivalent to a priest or a rabbi. The Imam merely leads the prayer, his sole responsibility is to keep the congregation synchronised. A community can choose to elect someone to be a permanent imam, one who would be expected to take on more responsibility (e.g. upkeep of the mosque, advising and teaching the congregation) but this is not compulsory. It should be noted that a woman can equally take on all the roles of a permanent imam except for leading the prayer if the congregation is mixed.
    Last edited by dhak1yya; 02-12-06, 07:13 PM.
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]
    [CENTER]
    [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Re: Confusing Islamic terms and some explanations of them

Those funny arabic words Muslims cant say a sentance without? Like...al hamdulillah, or insha allah...here you go:

http://www.geocities.com/hayatanneos...t-Phrases.html

:D
    Please Re-update your Signature

Comment

Re: Confusing Islamic terms and some explanations of them

:up: cool list :)

I was thinking that I'd left those kinds of words out and should go back and add them in when I get time but your link has done that for me mashaAllah :up:
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
      [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
      X