Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fasting 6 days of Shawwal after Ramadhan.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fasting 6 days of Shawwal after Ramadhan.

Q:
    Is it true you have to fast the days that you owe from ramadan before fasting these 6 days. Ive heard that u must make up the days you've missed in Ramadan because these are obligatory whereas the 6 days in shawwal are sunnah. Any idea?

A:

1. If one fasts any 6 days (even makeups) in Shawwal, one gets the reward of performing the sunna of fasting six days of Shawwal, as the fuqaha have stated..

2. If one does the voluntary fasts first, and the makeups after, this would have more reward, though, if circumstances permit.

3. It is not obligatory to perform ones makeup fasts before performing voluntary fasts, though one should not perform the latter in a way that unduly delays finishing ones makeups. This depends on ones circumstances and adeptness at fasting regularly.

Fasting Six Days of Shawwal After Ramadan: Like Fasting The Entire Year

Ayyub (Allah be pleased with him) relates that the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace be upon him, his family, and companions) said,

Whoever fasts Ramadan and follows it with six days from Shawwal it is as if they fasted the entire year.
    [Muslim, Abu Dawud, Tirmidhi, and Ibn Majah; Ahmad transmitted it from Jabir, Muntaqa]

Thawban (Allah be pleased with him) relates that the Messenger of Allah (blessings and peace be upon him, his family, and companions) said,

Whoever fasts Ramadan, and then six days after Eid, it is [like fasting] an entire year. Whoever does a good deed shall have ten times its reward.
    [Ibn Majah, Muntaqa]

1. Based on this, the majority of the fuqaha, including the Hanafi, Shafi`i, and Hanbali school, have held that it is recommended to fast six days of the month of Shawwal.
    [Radd al-Muhtar; Mughni al-Muhtaj Shah al-Minhaj; Kashshaf al-Qina`]

2. It is permitted to fast these six days separately throughout the month, or consecutively, after Eid al-Fitr.
    [ibid.]

3. It is prohibitively disliked (makruh tahriman) and sinful to fast on Eid day itself.
    [Radd al-Muhtar]

4. The Shafi`is and Hanbalis state that it is superior to make the six fasts consecutive
    [Minhaj, Ghayat al-Muntaha].

Khatib al-Shirbini explains the reasoning as being, In order to hasten to do the good, and because of the problems inevitable in delaying, such as becoming lazy and not actually fulfilling this sunna in the end, though he points out that the sunna is fulfilled by both consecutive and non-consecutive fasting of six days in Shawwal.
    [Mughni al-Muhtaj]

The later Hanafi scholars differed as to which is better, fasting the six days consecutively or non-consecutively, though neither is disliked and both fulfill the sunna.
    [Radd al-Muhtar]

However, it would be agreed that those who fear not fulfilling the recommendation due to laziness, forgetfulness or other excuses, should hasten to fast the six days consecutively immediately after Eid al-Fitr.

5. The reward is akin to having fasted obligatory fasts the entire year days, according to Buhuti, Shirbini, and others.

Abu Hurayra (Allah be pleased with him) said that the Prophet (Allah bless him & give him peace) said,

The strong believer is better and more beloved to Allah than the weak believer, though there is good in both. Be avid for that which benefits you. Rely on Allah and do not deem yourself incapable

[Muslim 4816, Ibn Majah 76, Ahmad 8436]

Imam Nawawi (Allah have mercy on him) explained that the strength in this hadith refers to, Ones determination and ability in matters of the next life.
    [Sharh Sahih Muslim]

:love: :)
    What does 'freedom' mean?

Does the eagle want to swim in the sea,
    Restricted by the sky?

Does the fish want to dance on the wind,
    Not enough river to explore?

Yet the sky is freedom for the bird
    but death for the fish,

The sea is wide for the fish
    but will engulf the bird.

We ask for freedom but freedom to do what?
    We can only express our nature as it was created.

The prayer mat of the earth is freedom,
    freedom from slavery to other than the One,
    Who offers an shoreless ocean of love to swim in
    and a horizon that extends to the next life,
    Yet we chose the prison and call it freedom.

All our handling of the child will bear fruit, not only at the moment, but in the adult they are destined to become. Donate today! http://campaign.justgiving.com/chari...iyahschool2015

"make ups" can b counted 4 that? oh nice one :D i was just about 2 ask that :p
    good post :love: jazakallahu khayr
    .: Rufaida :.
    .:Fa Firroo Ila-llaah:.
    http://s61.photobucket.com/albums/h6...th_Silence.jpg
    People praise you for what they suppose is in you,
    but you must blame your soul for what you know is in you.
    ~ Ibn Atallah

Ramadan Activities for Children
    <button id="tw_schedule_btn" class="tw-schedule-btn" style="padding: 4px 6px;position: absolute;left: 141px;top: 840px;background-color: #F7F7F7; background: linear-gradient(#FFF, #F0F0F0); border: 1px solid #CCC; color: #5F5F5F; cursor: pointer; font-weight: bold; text-shadow: 0 1px #FFF; white-space: nowrap;border-radius: 3px;font-size: 11px; display: none; z-index: 8675309">Schedule</button>

Comment

Actually, it looks as if we have to do qada separate from the 6 days of Shawwal.
      -Abbie, missing "Punky" and her claws
      Please Re-update your Signature

Comment

What is the ruling on fasting six days of Shawwaal? Is it waajib (obligatory)?

Praise be to Allaah.

Fasting six days of Shawwaal after the obligatory fast of Ramadaan is Sunnah Mustahabbah, not waajib. It is recommended for the Muslim to fast six days of Shawwaal, and in this there is great virtue and an immense reward. Whoever fasts these six days will have recorded for him a reward as if he had fasted a whole year, as was reported in a saheeh hadeeth from the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him). Abu Ayyoob (may Allaah be pleased with him) reported that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: Whoever fasts Ramadaan and follows it with six days of Shawwaal, it will be as if he fasted for a lifetime. (Narrated by Muslim, Abu Dawood, al-Tirmidhi, al-Nisaai and Ibn Maajah).

The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) explained this when he said: Whoever fasts for six days after (Eid) al-Fitr has completed the year: (whoever does a good deed (hasanah) will have ten hasanah like it). According to another report: Allaah has made for each hasanah ten like it, so a month is like fasting ten months, and fasting six days completes the year. (al-Nisaai and Ibn Maajah. See also Saheeh al-Targheeb wal-Tarheeb, 1/421). It was also narrated by Ibn Khuzaymah with the wording: Fasting for the month of Ramadaan brings the reward of ten like it, and fasting for six days brings the reward of two months, and that is the fasting of the whole year.

The Hanbali and Shaafai fuqaha explained that fasting six days of Shawwaal after fasting Ramadaan makes it as if one has fasted for an entire year of obligatory fasts, because the multiplication of the reward applies even to naafil fasts, because each hasanah brings the reward of ten like it.

Another of the important benefits of fasting six days of Shawwaal is that is makes up for any shortfall in a person's obligatory Ramadaan fasts, because no one is free of shortcomings or sins that have a negative effect on his fasting. On the Day of Resurrection, some of his naafil deeds will be taken to make up the shortcomings in his obligatory deeds, as the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: The first thing for which people will be brought to account on the Day of Resurrection will be their salaah (prayer). Our Lord, may He be glorified and exalted, will say to His angels although He knows best Look at the salaah of My slave, whether it is complete or incomplete. If it is perfect, it will be recorded as perfect, and if something is lacking, He will say, Look and see whether My slave did any voluntary (naafil) prayers. If he did some voluntary prayers, [Allaah] will say, Complete the obligatory actions of My slave from his voluntary actions. Then all his actions will be dealt with in a similar manner. (Narrated by Abu Dawood).

And Allaah knows best.

:

Shaykh Ibn Uthaymeen (May Allah have mercy upon him) was asked:

What is your opinion of the one who fasts six days of Shawwal while still having to make up days (from Ramadan)?

: : ѻ : ǡ

The Shaykh answered: The answer to that is from the statement of the Prophet (Peace and Blessings be upon him) Whoever fasts Ramadan, then follows it with six days (of fasting) of Shawwal, it as if he fasted the entire year [Muslim]

And if a person has some days of fasting to make up, and fasts six days (of Shawwal) before fasting the days that must be made up should it be said that he has fasted Ramadan, and followed it with six days (of fasting) of Shawwal? No, he has not fasted Ramadan since it is said that he has not fasted Ramadan except that he has completed it. And established upon that, there is no reward for fasting six days of Shawwal for the one who must make up days of Ramadan, except that he makes up the days missed from Ramadan, then fasts (the six days of Shawwal).

Translated by Tariq Nelson

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Masjid Ibrahim
        1701 W. Ben White Blvd Bldg 3
        Austin, TX 78704

512-MY-DAWAH (693-2924) | [email protected] | www.IbrahimMosque.org

Click here for directions to the masjid.

Masjid Ibrahim is a project of Callers to Islam - a non-profit organization wholly dependent on donations. Please click here to support the Masjid activities.
        .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
        نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
        دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

InshAllah i hope some of us are fasting 6 days of Shawaal! :)
          "Closer and closer to mankind comes their Reckoning: yet they heed not and they turn away" (21:1)

Comment

Originally posted by anna2000uk
            "make ups" can b counted 4 that? oh nice one :D i was just about 2 ask that :p
            good post :love: jazakallahu khayr

im confused, if i have 7 fasts to make up and 6 optionals i wanna keep inshallah, how would this work?

:scratch:
            The Prophet SAW said, "(There are2words which R dear 2 the most gracious (Allah SWT)&very easy4the tongue2say but very heavy in the balance.They are:Subhan Allahi Wa Bihamdihi - Subhan Allahil-Azim

Comment

Originally posted by muslim girl
              im confused, if i have 7 fasts to make up and 6 optionals i wanna keep inshallah, how would this work?

:scratch:
              Fast 6 durin' Shawwal, and one any other time before next Ramadhan preferably on a Monday or Thursday.

We should all try and fast on Monday and Thursday.

However, accordin' to the article, posted by Zee, if you keep 6 fasts durin' Shawwal, and then make up the 7 missed ones after that (13 fast in total) you will get more reward 'cos you fast more.
              Rabbana atinaa fidDunya hasanatan wa fil Akhirati hasanatan wa qinaa adhaban Naar

Comment

I haven't started fasting my 6 yet...Inshallah 2mo. Our khutba 2day was all bout the benefits of fasting the 6 and continuing the spirit of Ramadhan.

Comment

Originally posted by cheeky
                  I haven't started fasting my 6 yet...Inshallah 2mo. Our khutba 2day was all bout the benefits of fasting the 6 and continuing the spirit of Ramadhan.
                  Insha'allah, I'll try n do it on the Mondays and Thursdays.
                  Rabbana atinaa fidDunya hasanatan wa fil Akhirati hasanatan wa qinaa adhaban Naar

Comment

inshaallah. i will defonatly fast them..... so can you fast ANY 6 days... and do htye have to be before ar after you fast the ones u have to make up??

jazaks
                    shaima
                    the more i learn; the more i learn of my ignorance.
                    ~ imam shafi'i

Comment

ya shaima, read the article lol

They can be any 6 days in shawal but shafi school say its better that they be together.

The Shafi`is and Hanbalis state that it is superior to make the six fasts consecutive
                      [Minhaj, Ghayat al-Muntaha].
                      Also from what I understood and what Mr J has pointed out, you can fast the ones u need to make up and the 6 days of shawal separately or together..if you do them separately..then obviously extra reward inshallah.

Allahu alam.

Comment

Question :

Is it permissible for me to fast the six days of Shawwaal with the same intention as making up the days I did not fast in Ramadaan because of menstruation?.

Answer :
                        Praise be to Allaah. That is not valid, because fasting the six days of Shawwaal can only be done after fasting Ramadaan in full.

Shaykh Ibn Uthaymeen said in Fataawa al-Siyaam (438):

Whoever fasts the day of Arafah, or the day of Ashoora, but still owes days from Ramadaan, his fast is valid, but if he intends to fast this day to make up for a missed Ramadaan fast, he will have two rewards: the reward for the day of Arafah or Ashoora along with the reward for making up the missed fast. This has to do with voluntary fasts in general that are not connected to Ramadaan. With regard to fasting the six days of Shawwaal, they are connected to Ramadaan and can only done after making up missed Ramadaan fasts. If he fasts them before making up missed Ramadaan fasts he will not attain that reward, because the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: Whoever fasts Ramadaan then follows it with six days of Shawwaal, it will be as if he fasted for a lifetime. It is well known that whoever still owes days from Ramadaan is not regarded as having fasted Ramadaan until he makes up the days he missed.

O our Lord, pour out on us patience, and make us die as those who have submitted (to You). (A-RAAF: 126)
                        With steadfastness, Paradise is earned!

Comment

Assalaam O Alaikum Wa Rahmatullah,

I am confused on a matter over here... in this same thread "ze leetle elper" has said that :

1. If one fasts any 6 days (even makeups) in Shawwal, one gets the reward of performing the sunna of fasting six days of Shawwal, as the fuqaha have stated..

2. If one does the voluntary fasts first, and the makeups after, this would have more reward, though, if circumstances permit.

3. It is not obligatory to perform ones makeup fasts before performing voluntary fasts, though one should not perform the latter in a way that unduly delays finishing ones makeups. This depends on ones circumstances and adeptness at fasting regularly."
                          while Sister Khadija posted :

"That is not valid, because fasting the six days of Shawwaal can only be done after fasting Ramadaan in full.
                          ..........................................."
                          Can anyone PLEASE clarify this to me... I am really confused. What is CORRECT??? It 'd be kind if someone give me the answer as soon as possible.

Comment

here's a suggestion: fast for 3 weeks. maybe you'll die.

Comment

Why is this mad dog on the forum?

Originally posted by infidel58
                              here's a suggestion: fast for 3 weeks. maybe you'll die.

Comment

Working...
                              X