Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How much water should we use for Wudu / Ghusl?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How much water should we use for Wudu / Ghusl?

Salaam,

What do you think is the right amount of water to use?

56 - حدثنا أحمد بن منيع و علي بن حجر قالا حدثنا إسماعيل بن علية عن أبي ريحانة عن سفينة Y أن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم كان يتوضأ بالمد ويغتسل بالصاع قال وفي الباب عن عائشة و جابر و أنس بن مالك قال أبو عيسى حديث سفينة حديث حسن صحيح و أبو ريحانة اسمه عبد الله بن مطر ] وهكذا رأى بعض أهل العلم الوضء بالمد والغسل بالصاع وقال الشافعي و أحمد و إسحق ليس معنى هذا الحديث على التوقيت أنه لا يجوز أكثر منه و لا أقل منه وهو قدر ما يكفي K صحيح

Sayyidinah Safinah (RA) narrated that the Prophet (SAW) performed ablution with a
    mudd of water and the purifying bath with a sa’ of water.

Jami'i at Tirmidhi

I couldn't add two polls so say how much you think for Ghusl.
    About half a litre
    53.33%
    About a litre
    13.33%
    about 2 litres
    13.33%
    about 3 litres
    13.33%
    more than 4 litres
    6.67%
    Last edited by AbuIbraheem.; 24-11-10, 11:31 AM.
    Hadith, Fiqh and Tafsir Scholarship
    http://www.al-salam.co.uk/[B][COLOR="#006400"]

Re: How much water should we use for Wudu / Ghusl?

Just in case people don't know litres - the one in the middle is half a litre and I think the one of the far right is a litre

Comment

Wow Cool Bottles

Id Say Half A Liter I Dunno :scratch:
      And He found you lost and guided you,
      ~ Qur'an (Ad Duhaa) 93:7 ~

Salaah Reminders

Guide us to the straight pain.
      " Ihdina-s-sirata-l-mustaqim "
      ~ Quran 1:6 ~

الله أعلم

Comment

Again from Tirmidhi:

43 - باب [ ما جاء في ] كراهية الإسراف في الوضوء بالماء
        Makruh to use more water in ablution (Israaf)
        57 - حدثنا محمد بن بشار حدثنا أبو داود الطيالسي حدثنا خارجة بن مصعب عن يونس بن عبيد عن الحسن عن عتى بن ضمرة السعدي عن أبي كعب Y عن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم قال إن للوضوء شيطانا يقال له الولهان فاتقوا وسواس الماء قال وفي الباب عن عبد الله بن عمرو و عبد الله بن مغفل قال أبو عيسى حديث أبي كعب حديث غريب وليس إسناده بالقوى [ والصحيح ] عند أهل الحديث لأنا لا نعلم أحدا أسنده غير خارجة وقد روى هذا الحديث من غير وجه عن الحسن قوله و لا يصح في هذا الباب عن النبي صلى الله عليه و سلم شيء و خارجة ليس بالقوى عند أصحابنا وضعفه ابن المبارك K ضعيف جدا

Sayyidina Ubayy ibn Ka'b(RA) narrated that the Prophet (SAW) said, "There is a devil for
        ablution called Walahan. So, beware of temptations caused about water."

Israaf is when you spend on something that you need but more than is necessary.
        BTW - A mudd is about 544g (544ml)
        A sa’ is about 2176g (2176ml)

This is an estimate, not accurate measurements.

The Hadith relating to that can be found in Muslim and other books.

Comment

I think we should take into account that the Prophet SAW and the sahabah used to make wudhu in like a pot so they kept using the same water over again, right? So the amount of water they used must have been less unlike the sinks we have now, where Allahu a3lam how much water goes down the drain.
          الحق لا يعرف بالرجال، اعرف الحق تعرف رجاله

Comment

Originally posted by whisperofimaan View Post
            I think we should take into account that the Prophet SAW and the sahabah used to make wudhu in like a pot so they kept using the same water over again, right? So the amount of water they used must have been less unlike the sinks we have now, where Allahu a3lam how much water goes down the drain.
            Actually the Hanafis don't allow that - I don't think it is Sunnah to use the same used water.
            From my Fiqh lessons I understand that water that has been used in Wudu cannot be used again unless it is from a big amount of water (10 litres?)

Comment

Not sure, but a lot, that's for sure.
              Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
              - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

Originally posted by AbuHaneefah View Post
                Actually the Hanafis don't allow that - I don't think it is Sunnah to use the same used water.
                From my Fiqh lessons I understand that water that has been used in Wudu cannot be used again unless it is from a big amount of water (10 litres?)
                hmmm I don't understand why not. I meant like u have a bowl that has just been filled with water, that water can be used right? And what I learnt is that water is pure/clean and doesn't become unclean unless it's colour or smell has changed. But I think there's rules of fiqh regarding still and flowing water.
                الحق لا يعرف بالرجال، اعرف الحق تعرف رجاله

Comment

I think I don't user 500ml for wudhu, and I don' tthink I use 2l for ghusal. For example, I think I use probably more than a liter just to rinse the soap of my hands when beginning wudhu, when it comes to the face, I probably use a liter just to wash the soap of my face and so on...

I am probably over doing it...

Comment

Originally posted by whisperofimaan View Post
                    hmmm I don't understand why not. I meant like u have a bowl that has just been filled with water, that water can be used right? And what I learnt is that water is pure/clean and doesn't become unclean unless it's colour or smell has changed. But I think there's rules of fiqh regarding still and flowing water.
                    You shouldn't re-use wudu water, even though it's still technically clean.
                    So, say, if you're making wudu and some of it splashes on the person next to you, his wudu is valid, but that doesn't mean you can keep using that water.
                    Secure few moments, everyday, to reflect upon the innumerable blessings of Allah and thank Him for bestowing them upon you.

"A person who is blessed with the ability to be grateful, shall never be deprived of barakah and increase in blessings."
                    - Rasulullah (صلی اللہ علیہ وسلم)‎

Comment

I can manage (after much practise lol) to do wudhu using one and a half of these:

Although ideally would like to cut it down to one :up: Water is wasted by us all the time, people leave it running when they perform wudhu, brush teeth, wash face, wash dishes...every drop that is being wasted is so precious to those who have nothing but diseased dirty water to drink and give to their thirsty children and babies :(

We are so accustomed to clean water we don't even realise how much we waste. For example people wash their salad/ fruit; put a bowl underneath to collect the water that runs off it and use it in the garden? There are so many ways to save water!
                      What does 'freedom' mean?

Does the eagle want to swim in the sea,
                      Restricted by the sky?

Does the fish want to dance on the wind,
                      Not enough river to explore?

Yet the sky is freedom for the bird
                      but death for the fish,

The sea is wide for the fish
                      but will engulf the bird.

We ask for freedom but freedom to do what?
                      We can only express our nature as it was created.

The prayer mat of the earth is freedom,
                      freedom from slavery to other than the One,
                      Who offers an shoreless ocean of love to swim in
                      and a horizon that extends to the next life,
                      Yet we chose the prison and call it freedom.

“All our handling of the child will bear fruit, not only at the moment, but in the adult they are destined to become.” Donate today! http://campaign.justgiving.com/chari...iyahschool2015

Comment

Originally posted by AbuHaneefah View Post
                        Same for Shafi's.

And a large ammount of water for us (shafi's) is 216 litres ...
                        If you were in the clouds, Allah would raise us to you or lower you to us for battle.

said this to the Byzantine troops when they retreated from the battle field to the fortified town of Chalcis.

- Khalid ibn Walid

Comment

That's large! How come people are posting and not voting then?

Comment

other than the cost of water, why is it important not to waste water. in the uk all household water is recycled and sent back to the households. so it's difficult to waste.

Comment

Originally posted by nami View Post
                              other than the cost of water, why is it important not to waste water. in the uk all household water is recycled and sent back to the households. so it's difficult to waste.
                              1. Using excessive amounts of water is wasteful. Wastefulness (israf) is blameworthy in wudu, as the sunna is to use a moderate amount of water. [`Ala' al-Din Abidin, al-Hadiyya al-`Ala'iyya]

Sunan Ibn Majah, Vol 1, Pg No: 34, there is another Hadith:

Translation: It has been narrated on the authority of Hadhrat Abdullah bin 'Umar (May Allah be well pleased with both of them), that the Holy Prophet (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) passed by a person performing wudu. He (Sallallahu alaihi wa sallam) said: Do not waste (water), do not use more water than you need it.

Comment

Working...
                              X