Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is an Apple MacBook worth it?

Assalamu alaykum

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who owns one. I really, really like the rose gold Apple
    MacBook & I am considering purchasing it. I know it's expensive...

If anyone has an Apple Mac book how's it been for you? Worth it? I will be mainly using it for YouTube, browsing the net, eBaying, blogging

Ok I'll be honest. I only want it because of the colour. Is that really bad?
    https://islamicgemsandpearls.wordpress.com

Is an Apple MacBook worth it?

:wswrwb:

Waste of money if all you care about is the looks. There are less fortunate people who could use that money.

Comment

Re: Is an Apple MacBook worth it?

Originally posted by Layla_ View Post
      Assalamu alaykum

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who owns one. I really, really like the rose gold Apple

If anyone has an Apple Mac book how's it been for you? Worth it? I will be mainly using it for YouTube, browsing the net, eBaying, blogging

Once when Imam Ibn Hajar al Asqalani, a famous scholar in the past who died in 852 AH, who wrote the commentary of Sahih al Bukhar entitled ‘Fath al Bari’, was walking with his grand entourage through the town, they came upon a miserable, poor and dejected Jew.
      When the Jew recognized Ibn Hajar, he called out to him, “O scholar of Islam! Is it not true that your Prophet has said that this life is a prison for the believer and Paradise for the kafir? How is it that you are living in lavish wealth being a so-called believer, and yet I live this miserable life?” Ibn Hajar responded, “What you say of the Prophet (saw) of what he has said is true. You should know that this life you see me living in, is a prison compared to what awaits for me in the Hereafter. And, you should know that what you are living is Paradise compared to what Allah has prepared for you in the akhira.”
      If you're a mac fan, then you can't really go wrong. Although, personally, I'd rather get an ultrabook.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic Believer View Post
        :wswrwb:

Waste of money if all you care about is the looks. There are less fortunate people who could use that money.
        Jazakallah khayr

Comment

Originally posted by oshirowanen View Post
          If you're a mac fan, then you can't really go wrong. Although, personally, I'd rather get an ultrabook.
          I don't live a lavish lifestyle akhi. I pay Sadaqa & give my zakat but was going to get this laptop to treat myself. Isn't that allowed? Genuine question

Also I do need a laptop and from past experience where I've used cheaper laptops they have bust (has happened twice) so id rather spend a little more on something if I know it will last

if it really is excessive spending then I won't buy it

Comment

I don't live a lavish lifestyle akhi. I pay Sadaqa & give my zakat but was going to get this laptop to treat myself. Isn't that allowed? Genuine question

Also I do need a laptop and from past experience where I've used cheaper laptops they have bust (has happened twice) so id rather spend a little more on something if I know it will last

if it really is excessive spending then I won't buy it
            Well if a famous scholar of islam can have a lavish lifestyle, why can't a normal muslim treat him/herself every now and again?

Also, I know what you mean. I have found that cheap stuff actually ends up costing more in the long run, and things which are a bit more pricey (higher build quality) usually last longer, therefore end up costing less in the long run.

I don't know if this is true with macs, but everyone I know who has a mac, has not regretted buying a mac. As long as you understand, that a mac uses a different operating system, not windows, so a lot of windows programs will not work on mac, you will have to get the mac equivalent software. Although you can buy Microsoft Word for mac.
            Last edited by oshirowanen; 03-07-17, 10:02 PM.

Comment

Well if a famous scholar of islam can have a lavish lifestyle, why can't a normal muslim treat him/herself every now and again?

Also, I know what you mean. I have found that cheap stuff actually ends up costing more in the long run, and things which are a bit more pricey usually last longer, therefore end up costing less in the long run.
              Whoops my bad! I read the quote wrong

Yes you are right. I agree

Comment

Whoops my bad! I read the quote wrong
                No harm done, 99.99% of my posts are misunderstood in this community..

Comment

Also, I know what you mean. I have found that cheap stuff actually ends up costing more in the long run, and things which are a bit more pricey usually last longer, therefore end up costing less in the long run.

I don't know if this is true with macs, but everyone I know who has a mac, has not regretted buying a mac. As long as you understand, that a mac uses a different operating system, not windows, so a lot of windows programs will not work on mac, you will have to get the mac equivalent software. Although you can buy Microsoft Word for mac.
                  I will mainly be using it for the Internet so I should be okay without the Windows Insha Allah but if I can purchase it that's great. I did contemplate getting an Apple iMac but I think the MacBook would be better for me. It's currently on offer in currys I wonder if at xmas it will go down by another 100 quid....

Comment

I will mainly be using it for the Internet so I should be okay without the Windows Insha Allah but if I can purchase it that's great. I did contemplate getting an Apple iMac but I think the MacBook would be better for me. It's currently on offer in currys I wonder if at xmas it will go down by another 100 quid....
                    What are the specs of the macbook you're planning/hoping to get?

If it has an M or a Dual Core processor, I'd personally stay away from them.

Having said that, I'd still get an ultrabook.
                    Last edited by oshirowanen; 03-07-17, 10:14 PM.

Comment

Assalamu alaykum

i have a macbook air, currently. Didn't pay for this one. got it from my sister. But my previous one was just as expensive. But i can easily spend around 10 hours a day on it. Thats everything from coding, research and entertainment. So i need something good that lasts.
                      What i'm trying to say is, think about how much time and how you intend to use it. If you're only going to be using it a few hours a day on tasks that all laptops can do. Then there is no need for it.

But of course you're allowed to treat yourself, but i would advise you on doing it on something you'll make good use of.

Comment

What are the specs of the macbook you're planning/hoping to get?

If it has an M or a Dual Core processor, I'd personally stay away from them.
                        Yes it's M processor .... Why would you stay away from it?

Comment

Yes it's M processor .... Why would you stay away from it?
                          It's probably fine for your intended use, but for the same price, you could get a much more powerful ultrabook, which looks and feels just as good if not better than a mac.

M processors are not very powerful.

I'm fairly sure for the same price, you could get an i5 processor in an ultrabook

But I'm just saying what I would do personally. However, mac fans would completely disagree with me...

Comment

Originally posted by itsgiise View Post
                            i have a macbook air, currently. Didn't pay for this one. got it from my sister. But my previous one was just as expensive. But i can easily spend around 10 hours a day on it. Thats everything from coding, research and entertainment. So i need something good that lasts.
                            What i'm trying to say is, think about how much time and how you intend to use it. If you're only going to be using it a few hours a day on tasks that all laptops can do. Then there is no need for it.

But of course you're allowed to treat yourself, but i would advise you on doing it on something you'll make good use of.
                            I can probably spend around 10 hours online too. most laptops can do what I intend to use the MacBook for (blogging, YouTube, research) but I don't want to have to replace my laptop in a few years because it bust. That's what happened to my Sony viao and a dell one (I didn't purchase either)

Comment

It's probably fine for your intended use, but for the same price, you could get a much more powerful ultrabook, which looks and feels just as good if not better than a mac.

M processors are not very powerful.

I'm fairly sure for the same price, you could get an i5 processor in an ultrabook

But I'm just saying what I would do personally. However, mac fans would completely disagree with me...
                              I will look into a ultra book jazakallah khayr. I'm not too computer savvy if I post up the full specs can you tell
                              Me if it sounds good please

Comment

Working...
                              X