Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I replace my laptop?

:salams

There's been a bit of debate at home as to whether I should start looking at new laptops or not. Me being sentimental and wanting to get my full money's worth is adamantly refusing lol. I've had this one since early 2014.

The main issues I currently have are:

- My laptop doesn't recognise or support the 5ghz wifi network we have and because I live around a lot of other 2.4ghz networks, I hear that potentially slows down connectivity issues
    - Google Chrome crashes and refuses to play YouTube videos above 240p so I'm regularly watching blurred outlines with occasional 360p bumps whenever it can handle it
    - Chrome also struggles to load any 'picture heavy' webpages (but does so after a bit of pushing) and so I get a pop up telling me the application has stopped working sometimes
    - MS Word temporarily 'crashes' too if I try to do anything more than type. Bearing in mind, I use this programme a lot, it poses an issue I can't ignore

The optional issues:
    - I can't use Steam on my laptop at all, which I'd like to if the main gaming PC is busy. I have several games already downloaded that I'd like to play in my own time
    - I can't use Adobe reader either because that crashes on start up, which is a bit of a pain as accessing pdfs can be somewhat useful
    - My laptop doesn't charge past 89/90%, whereas before, it would get to 100% with ease. It's not really severe, but it's a bit irritating nonetheless

I use my laptop for browsing, video streaming and document writing. I'm wondering if the issue lies with my European model, not adapting well to a North American change.

So do I need to change my laptop or is there anything I can do from my end to try and resolve the main issues?
    ⚔ Even in death may you be triumphant ⚔
    U.F Sadaqah Jariyah Project

Re: Should I replace my laptop?

Originally posted by Meriadoc View Post

There's been a bit of debate at home as to whether I should start looking at new laptops or not. Me being sentimental and wanting to get my full money's worth is adamantly refusing lol. I've had this one since early 2014.

- My laptop doesn't recognise or support the 5ghz wifi network we have and because I live around a lot of other 2.4ghz networks, I hear that potentially slows down connectivity issues
    - Google Chrome crashes and refuses to play YouTube videos above 240p so I'm regularly watching blurred outlines with occasional 360p bumps whenever it can handle it
    - Chrome also struggles to load any 'picture heavy' webpages (but does so after a bit of pushing) and so I get a pop up telling me the application has stopped working sometimes
    - MS Word temporarily 'crashes' too if I try to do anything more than type. Bearing in mind, I use this programme a lot, it poses an issue I can't ignore

The optional issues:
    - I can't use Steam on my laptop at all, which I'd like to if the main gaming PC is busy. I have several games already downloaded that I'd like to play in my own time
    - I can't use Adobe reader either because that crashes on start up, which is a bit of a pain as accessing pdfs can be somewhat useful
    - My laptop doesn't charge past 89/90%, whereas before, it would get to 100% with ease. It's not really severe, but it's a bit irritating nonetheless

I use my laptop for browsing, video streaming and document writing. I'm wondering if the issue lies with my European model, not adapting well to a North American change.

So do I need to change my laptop or is there anything I can do from my end to try and resolve the main issues?
    I would not be able to tolerate all those inefficiencies and would just buy a new Laptop, which will obviously have more powerful specs.

Comment

Originally posted by Indefinable View Post
      I would not be able to tolerate all those inefficiencies and would just buy a new Laptop, which will obviously have more powerful specs.
      that's what I've been told lol. I know eventually I will get fed up and ask for a new one to be purchased, but I was hoping that maybe these issues could be fixed, albeit temporarily

Comment

that's what I've been told lol. I know eventually I will get fed up and ask for a new one to be purchased, but I was hoping that maybe these issues could be fixed, albeit temporarily
        Lol sis. I have no idea :-/

Since we're on latop issues - my Laptop has a 'Critical Battery' - so it will probably die soon. I understand the attachment to a piece of machinery (although I do have my eye on a newer model).

Comment

The optional issues:

Sorry to say this, but your laptop has entered the "piece of junk" stage.

Get a new one, seriously. You can buy one now at the same price you bought that one which will have way better specs.

Comment

I understand. You have made as much excuses as you can for your laptops shortcomings. I think you just have to break it to him. It's time to go!
            Believe none of what you hear, and only half of what you see.

Comment

The optional issues:

Before you buy a new laptop, can' you state the type of CPU and how much ram you have?

Comment

Originally posted by Abisali View Post
                Before you buy a new laptop, can' you state the type of CPU and how much ram you have?
                4GB RAM

as for CPU and other tech specs, I'm not sure. Laptop is ASUS X550C if that helps with researching that

Comment

4GB RAM

as for CPU and other tech specs, I'm not sure. Laptop is ASUS X550C if that helps with researching that
                  If you're on Windows 10, open up the file explorer (folder icon in the task bar on the bottom) then select "This PC" and in the empty space to the right, right click and select "Properties". A new window will open up that will show you the processor that you have along with its speed.

Also, do you know how to open task manager?

Comment

Speed is averaging 2GHz, CPU is Intel Core i5-3337U

Comment

Speed is averaging 2GHz, CPU is Intel Core i5-3337U
                      Yea, that CPU is a little slow, and with only 4GB of RAM, you don't have much room to work with. If you can be patient and wait until the beginning of next year, intel is coming out with new processors code named "coffee lake" that will be around 30% faster than Kaby Lake (their current line). So you will probably see about (theoretically) 60% - 70% increase in performance.

Also, at minimum make sure to get a computer with 8GB of RAM (it helps with having more tabs and apps open at once), though the sweet spot these days is around 16GB. Finally, if you can afford it, get a laptop with an SSD. It's much faster and will make your computer more responsive.

If you need a computer now, make sure you get an i5 or i7 that's clocked at 3.5 GHz and don't get one branded with a "U" at the end. It stands for ultra low power, so your CPU will not be very powerful. When you get a new laptop, you should get one of those laptop cooling pads that you set it on to help with air circulation. The cooler the laptop is, the longer it will last.

Comment

Originally posted by Abisali View Post
                        Yea, that CPU is a little slow, and with only 4GB of RAM, you don't have much room to work with. If you can be patient and wait until the beginning of next year, intel is coming out with new processors code named "coffee lake" that will be around 30% faster than Kaby Lake (their current line). So you will probably see about (theoretically) 60% - 70% increase in performance.

Also, at minimum make sure to get a computer with 8GB of RAM (it helps with having more tabs and apps open at once), though the sweet spot these days is around 16GB. Finally, if you can afford it, get a laptop with an SSD. It's much faster and will make your computer more responsive.

If you need a computer now, make sure you get an i5 or i7 that's clocked at 3.5 GHz and don't get one branded with a "U" at the end. It stands for ultra low power, so your CPU will not be very powerful. When you get a new laptop, you should get one of those laptop cooling pads that you set it on to help with air circulation. The cooler the laptop is, the longer it will last.
                        :jkk: this post was really helpful. I'll keep what you said in mind when I'm looking for a new model

Comment

Should I replace my laptop?

^^^ Those specs sound like a complete overkill for what you want a laptop for

It seems you're interested in a light bit of gaming? Up to you if you want to spend big bucks just for that

I say buy a capabale but decent laptop and just keep your gaming for the gaming pc
                          Last edited by Faith reloaded; 03-07-17, 12:01 PM.

Comment

:jkk: this post was really helpful. I'll keep what you said in mind when I'm looking for a new model
                            Even though a certain Pokémon (thinks it's overkill, remember everything is going towards higher resolutions. The standards for websites and videos is usually set at 1080p, while moving toward to higher resolutions such as 4K and 5K. Granted, your screen may not be that dense, you will appreciate the extra horse power when playing games.

I forgot to mention that it is better to get a laptop with a discreet GPU that will handle games, just remember that it will cause higher temperatures. Maybe another member will be able to recommend what type of mobile gpu to get, my days of gaming aren't what they used to be so I couldn't recommend one. The forums over at tomshardware.com are very helpful, and you can usually get all the help you need. Just don't visit that site on a mobile device (pop ups and adds are horrible) and make sure to have Adblock Plus and unlock extensions installed on your desktop and laptop (really, if you haven't installed those extensions, do it now. It will reduce the stress on your CPU by blocking most adds. Also, adds are one of the top ways people's computers get infected with maleware.

Comment

The optional issues:

:wswrwb:

Yes, get a new laptop, the shop owner can help to suggest those base on your needs.
                              Since you play gaming, prepare to pay a bit higher price than usual.
                              Im using a gaming laptop myself.

Looking at your situation, I believe the ram is not adequate.
                              As time goes by , the applications used will require a higher specifications.
                              So its time for an upgrade.

Laptop specs are mostly integrated parts, while they can be done to modify etc,
                              I suggest you change everything altogether.

and when you pick a laptop, prepare it for something that can be used up till 5 years etc.
                              Get a good brand too, and consider their customer service support.

I second what [MENTION=112720]Abisali[/MENTION] said in his posts.

Comment

Working...
                              X