Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Advice sought on how to break into an IT Support role?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Faith reloaded 2 View Post
    Dont want to mention specific applications, too much information!

Yes, basic work like creating accounts, managing access to shares folders, managing access to shared mailboxes via active directory, changing names through PuTTy, finding relevant information about incidents before escalating to 2nd or 3rd line support

I had no qualifications in IT, apart from a couple of GCSEs
    Cool. And you learnt how to do that with only a few GCSE's? Thats's good. I've heard of active directory domain services, know what it si basically but haven't used it yet. Did you work on virtualisation and servers or any cloud computing?
    'If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]'

Surah Ibrahim (14:7)

Comment

Originally posted by detached soul View Post

Cool. And you learnt how to do that with only a few GCSE's? Thats's good. I've heard of active directory domain services, know what it si basically but haven't used it yet. Did you work on virtualisation and servers or any cloud computing?
      If you want get practise or something install Hyper V on your machine and spin up a few servers create like a Domain controller running Windows server (You can download trial/eval version from MS website) then create like a virtual windows 10 machine then create a small mini network

Only to way to get familiar is hands on stuff and a lot of this stuff you can do yourself on your machine and use Youtube for resources.

Also Office365 as well is a good thing to learn, you can sign up to trial accounts and play around with it

a lot of systems that are in use these days at organisation you can more or less replicate them at home on a smaller scale and setup like a network or so

If you want to learn about networking / switches etc there is something called Cisco Packet tracer which you can download then simulate recreate a networking environment with things like gateways routers switches etc

Experience comes with first hand not with uni degrees or GCSE

Sometimes to make the first step you need to step out of your comfort zone even if it means finding a job where you have to travel alot
      Last edited by sajid; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by detached soul View Post

No, I didn't learn that from GCSEs. I learned it on the job from colleagues

The GCSEs were totally irrelevant

I did not work on that, but interestingly, virtualisation is what I work on now as a business analyst

Comment

Originally posted by sajid View Post

If you want get practise or something install Hyper V on your machine and spin up a few servers create like a Domain controller running Windows server (You can download trial/eval version from MS website) then create like a virtual windows 10 machine then create a small mini network

Only to way to get familiar is hands on stuff and a lot of this stuff you can do yourself on your machine and use Youtube for resources.

Also Office365 as well is a good thing to learn, you can sign up to trial accounts and play around with it

a lot of systems that are in use these days at organisation you can more or less replicate them at home on a smaller scale and setup like a network or so

If you want to learn about networking / switches etc there is something called Cisco Packet tracer which you can download then simulate recreate a networking environment with things like gateways routers switches etc

Experience comes with first hand not with uni degrees or GCSE

Sometimes to make the first step you need to step out of your comfort zone even if it means finding a job where you have to travel alot
          I've already got VMWare on my laptop and created a virtual machine with windows server 2016 running and ubuntu 64. So i've got two VM's. I know you can use youtube to learn how to practically do anything. So i'll play around with these VM's and get experience. I know about packet tracer and ive got it so i can create networks with that. It's all about experience and not qualificationsn so i'm gonna get the experince and then it should be easier to get a career in IT.
          Last edited by detached soul; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

Great thread
            I'm too much of a slacker to study but this was something that I was interested in

For the money (LOL on a serious note, it was a back up plan that didn't get anywhere)

I did IT for A level and GNVQ back in the days LMSO
            Totally outdated like but I don't even remember what I learnt

I was stuck with an unhelpful teacher and hooligans

I hate studying, I wish I was a nerd that could absorb information like a machine but nah

I look forward to keeping up with this thread

'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Originally posted by Faith reloaded 2 View Post

No, I didn't learn that from GCSEs. I learned it on the job from colleagues

The GCSEs were totally irrelevant

I did not work on that, but interestingly, virtualisation is what I work on now as a business analyst
              Like you say you learnt from colleagues. Qualifications are not as important as on the job training when it comes to IT. There are a few companies looking for trainee IT support roles where you need enthusiasm, a passion for IT and good customer service skills (Soft skills) to get into an entry level role. Those are the roles i will keep on applying for and at the same time play around with a few VM's (virtual machines)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X