New Laptop or Not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Muslim-Guy View Post
    There is only so much that can be done when trying to fix up old laptops, you can try getting a new SSD, they should be cheaper than before, but perhaps getting a mid-range or half decent laptop should be fine.

I would say get largest SSD possible depending on your budget, perhaps 256GB is more than fine but some laptops have 2nd hard drive that are normal hard drives so you can have 1TB or so of storage.

Just google around, Lenovo, Acer, Dell are pretty decent.
    Would you believe - My laptop, phone and kindle - all started playing up around the same time? 

I'll invest in a new laptop next year In Sha Allaah. It seems to be alright for the time being, and I'm able to use it for work etc. 

I used to have Dell desktop computer before this - it was good. Might just get one of those again In Sha Allaah, although before this, never had any issues with the Vaio either. 

Comment

Helpful thread

I am currently using my brother's laptop (windows surfaces something like that, i don't know these things so lmso) trying to hold out on buying one :/

It's quite good but expensive

It does heat up quickly and battery goes low quick but I have been told that is due to me having a million tabs open
      (I always have so many tabs open, research and references that needed to be referred back to)

It is good for multitasking, so whether your working, studying or watching videos
      ​​​​​​
      Storage is good, I don't know how much though

I'd be interested in knowing which one you eventually end up buying - indefinable

I had a rubbish Hp laptop, I'm not going back to that

Complete waste of my money lol
      Last edited by Ya'sin; 02-05-19, 11:36 PM.
      'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Originally posted by Indefinable View Post

Sorry, forgot to reply to you.¬*

It's alright now Alhamdulillah.¬*

What is an SSD? I will get back to you regarding RAM and Processor.¬*

Hmm. I think over heating might be due to full hard drive.¬*
        SSD is Solid State Drive. It's much faster than the normal HDD and hence can make things stored in the drive load much faster.

"And behold! ye come to us bare and alone as We created you for the first time: ye have left behind you all which We bestowed on you..." - Al-An'am:94

Comment

Reminds me..I should probably get a new lappy soon..
          Pray. Fast. Zakat. Pilgrimage. Allah.

Comment

Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post
            Helpful thread

I am currently using my brother's laptop (windows surfaces something like that, i don't know these things so lmso) trying to hold out on buying one :/

It's quite good but expensive

It does heat up quickly and battery goes low quick but I have been told that is due to me having a million tabs open
            (I always have so many tabs open, research and references that needed to be referred back to)

It is good for multitasking, so whether your working, studying or watching videos
            ​​​​​​
            Storage is good, I don't know how much though

I'd be interested in knowing which one you eventually end up buying - indefinable

I had a rubbish Hp laptop, I'm not going back to that

Complete waste of my money lol
            I will let you know In Sha Allaah.

I'm delaying in buying one right now.

Comment

Depends on what you need your laptop for? I am an IT professional and I am still using my laptop since 12 years. If it is just a charger problem, just buy a new one and upgrade your laptop to Windows 10 if possible. I always buy the best quality laptop on offer, so I am able to use it for so long. The one before this, it was a hand me down, but we had it for eight years, alhamdulillah.

Comment

I use my laptop that I bought in September 2011. I like Windows 7.

Undos 7 is da best. Undos 10 is terrible. 

Comment

saying one brand is good or another brand is good is not a basis on getting a good laptop and if it is actually decent or not, you could get a junky lenovo and a good HP, it all depends on the value for money and the components used, i.e Processor / Ram / Drive also a lot of the time the screen quality is overlooked, there's nothing worse than getting a good spec'd Laptop with a poor quality screen even worse one with PWM (Pulse-Width Modulation) which can cause headaches and affect your eyes in a bad way over a long period of time for the worse

in most cases when people want to upgrade or feel like things are getting too slow it's because they have so much crap on the Laptop or PC that the device can no longer function properly like it once did, also a lot of the times its filled with dust over the years which cause the laptop to run hotter, then throttle ( which causes lower performance as the Processor has to dial its way back in terms of speed to cool it self down )

so I would advise to give the laptop a good dusting with a can of air or if you have an air compressor all the better, than do a fresh install of windows 10, you can download the software for free than buy a key off eBay for like £2-3 if you need it, also try to disable as much as possible in all the settings if you need help with this I can direct you to a video you can watch , also when laptops get slow it could be a dying hard drive which is slowly dying, this can be changed for an SSD (Solid State Drive) meaning no moving parts, up to 8x faster has no moving parts to fail and is lighter and more efficient, you can pick them up for as low as about £15 for 120gb

if your after good customer care I would advise going to Dell as they are very good with fixing your device or they even send a technician to your house and repair or replace it, you can usually find good deals on the dell website with discount codes or if your a student you can get 15% off, also you can go to the Dell outlet for a even better deal, they all come with the same type of warranty, some are customer returns, certified refurbished machines or ones with a slight scratch or dent( I dont work for Dell - I wish I had a job )

:)
                  Last edited by Bayna3; 26-05-19, 05:28 PM.

Comment

I will definitely take on board what everyone has said on here إن شاء الله.¬†

Might just need to do something about it, I'm not sure how long the wonky charger will hold on for. 

I would much rather hold on to it... 

بارك الله فيكم¬†

Comment

Originally posted by Indefinable View Post
                      Assalaamu alaykum wa rahmatullaah,

My (Sony Vaio - if it helps) laptop is around 6 years old.

It's slow.

The charger is wonky.

Is it worth buying a new laptop altogether or just a new charger and new software?

Any ideas?

If you need to use laptop everyday, you should buy a new one but if you just use it to read the news, I think you should consider carefully. street view

Comment

minimum of i5 processor i7 is ideal
                        16gb or higher RAM 32 gb of ram is better
                        Solid state drives are new gen drives which dont break like the old ones did.
                        if the video card has its own ram its better
                        wireless card and touch screen is up to you descent brands to look at are dell, HP, lenovo or MAC good luck

Comment

Interesting.
                          You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Working...
                          X