Was Jesus's body put on the cross?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was Jesus's body put on the cross?

In the Quran it says that they did not Kill or Crufify him, but Allah made it appear to them. I know some muslims who have the belief that Jesus went on the cross, but Allah took his soul and gave it back to him after the crucifixion was done. That's how they interpret those verses. They explain this interpretation by saying that Allah would never put an innocent man on the cross in place of Jesus. Is it possible that this is what happened?

Re: Was Jesus's body put on the cross?

Originally posted by hassan246 View Post
    In the Quran it says that they did not Kill or Crufify him, but Allah made it appear to them. I know some muslims who have the belief that Jesus went on the cross, but Allah took his soul and gave it back to him after the crucifixion was done. That's how they interpret those verses. They explain this interpretation by saying that Allah would never put an innocent man on the cross in place of Jesus. Is it possible that this is what happened?
    Who are these Muslims and from where do they derive their interpretations of the Quraan from?

Comment

They are actually Tablighis, I see them often in my local mosque. I don't know where they got this interpretation from but they claim the Qur'an doesn't deny that Jesus was on the cross.

They use this verse from surah Zumar to prove this belief:

(39:42): ''Allah takes the souls at the time of their death, and those that do not die [He takes] during their sleep. Then He keeps those for which He has decreed death and releases the others for a specified term. Indeed in that are signs for a people who give thought.''
      Last edited by hassan246; 11-10-17, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Do you have some proper evidence to present? This is quite a serious accusation you are making (misinterpretation of the Quraan).

Comment

Originally posted by horizon View Post
          Do you have some proper evidence to present? This is quite a serious accusation you are making (misinterpretation of the Quraan).
          You want me to pull out a phone and start recording them saying that? I don't understand what you're looking for.

My question is simple, Is this theory possible as there are many interpretation of what ''it was made to appear that they cucified Jesus'' means.

Comment

I don't know why some Muslims would believe that when it's crystal clear in the Qur'an that he was neither killed nor crucified.

"And [for] their saying, "Indeed, we have killed the Messiah, Jesus, the son of Mary, the messenger of Allah." And they did not kill him, nor did they crucify him; but [another] was made to resemble him to them. And indeed, those who differ over it are in doubt about it. They have no knowledge of it except the following of assumption. And they did not kill him, for certain." (4:157)

The man who was made to resemble him was not an innocent man but Judas the traitor who betrayed him.

Comment

Originally posted by Juwairiyyah View Post
              The man who was made to resemble him was not an innocent man but Judas the traitor who betrayed him.
              How do you know for sure?

Comment

How do you know for sure?
                I learned it from this lecture : https://youtu.be/j_6rWLc6bDw?t=942

Comment

Yes, there are Muslims who believe Jesus was put on the cross BUT he survived the crucifixion. This belief, of course, would be wrong, as the Quran clearly states ‘…nor was he crucified’ which would mean Jesus was NEVER on the cross. To crucify a man to the cross, they would have to place him on the cross first. Since the Quran said Jesus was not crucified, then, the man they put on the cross was simply NOT him.

To say Allah would never do this or that would be wrong as only Allah knows what His intentions are, and we, as Muslims, submit to His Will NOT to our own will. There are prophets and righteous people killed for just bringing the Message of Allah to their respective people and it would be wrong to think that God is cruel for getting these prophets and righteous people killed as these prophets and righteous people also submitted to the Will of God and NOT of their own.

They are actually Tablighis, I see them often in my local mosque. I don't know where they got this interpretation from but they claim the Qur'an doesn't deny that Jesus was on the cross.

They use this verse from surah Zumar to prove this belief:

(39:42): ''Allah takes the souls at the time of their death, and those that do not die [He takes] during their sleep. Then He keeps those for which He has decreed death and releases the others for a specified term. Indeed in that are signs for a people who give thought.''
                  Then their interpretation of Quran Surah Zumar 39:42 is wrong.

Taking the souls during sleep imply the suspension of consciousness, NOT the actual death (as 'those that do not die'). In other words, when we sleep, we lose the power of senses, understanding and awareness. Some scholars even describe sleep as a ‘mini death’ when the soul temporary leave the body.

Quran Surah Zumar Chapter 39 Verse 42 simply means Allah wants everyone to realize how life and death are entirely up to His Will. No one can be certain that every time he/she goes to sleep at night, he/she will wake up alive the next morning. No one knows what disaster could befall him within a moment, and whether the next moment would be a moment of life or death for him/her. At any time, while asleep or wide awake, at any place, some unforeseen calamity, from inside his/her body or from outside can suddenly cause his/her death. Thus, man who is so helpless in the presence of God, would be foolish to think that they knew what God can or cannot do or what God should do or should not do. In other words, it would be foolish for man to turn away from Him and ignore His Signs and Message which was conveyed through His chosen prophets.
                  Last edited by JerryMyers; 12-10-17, 05:11 AM.

Comment

I learned it from this lecture : https://youtu.be/j_6rWLc6bDw?t=942
                    Well, I will be careful before making such a statement as the Quran itself never identify who was crucified in Jesus’ place. Shaykh Dr Yasir Qadhi (in the video) himself never say the man put on the cross was Judas but it was the opinion of scholars, not his own. Whether he agreed with the opinion of the scholars or not does not add or remove the fact that Jesus was not killed nor was he crucified.

Its not of any importance to know who was crucified in Jesus’ place just as it was of no importance to know who hammered the nails into the hands and feet of the man being crucified to the cross.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryMyers View Post
                      Well, I will be careful before making such a statement as the Quran itself never identify who was crucified in Jesus’ place. Shaykh Dr Yasir Qadhi (in the video) himself never say the man put on the cross was Judas but it was the opinion of scholars, not his own. Whether he agreed with the opinion of the scholars or not does not add or remove the fact that Jesus was not killed nor was he crucified.

Its not of any importance to know who was crucified in Jesus’ place just as it was of no importance to know who hammered the nails into the hands and feet of the man being crucified to the cross.
                      That's true. I should've added that it was the opinion of scholars to my comment earlier.

Comment

You want me to pull out a phone and start recording them saying that? I don't understand what you're looking for.

My question is simple, Is this theory possible as there are many interpretation of what ''it was made to appear that they cucified Jesus'' means.
                        What he is saying is you made a serious claim that that group says that.
                        And he is asking for your proof.

Furthermore - did you consult their Ulema to see if there was a misunderstanding on your behalf or their communication ?

If you haven't - then you taking a once occurrence and making a Fitna out of it.

Comment

Assalamu alaykom

I believe Shabbir Ally may hold this view and Allah knows best. Im speaking from pure memory btw , but I recall his saying that it may he possible that Jesus was on the Cross but did not actually die.

If you guys watch any debates between Muslims and Christians regarding the topic of Crucifiction - The Muslim usually presents the inconsistencies between the Gospels and asserts that within the present Bible , Jesus did not die. Considering the Biblical inconsistencies , the argument is somewhat appealing.

Considering that , I believe some have interpretted the ayah "Nor was he crucified" to mean that he did not die by crucifixtion.

The obvious contention to this interpretation being a "Bid'ah". In response they say that this verse does not have any commentary by the Prophet Muhammad(saws) , and Muslims throughout the ages have suggested possible commentaries - which are ultimately speculative and Allah knows best.

To the brother who mentioned the Salaf's substution of Judah proposition - if I recall correctly , this was a belief which may have been popular or known in that region via certain unorthodox Christians , which may render it as a suggestion rather than revelation.

An ayah with such heavy theological implications , but without any further tafseer , it is quite interesting. Wallaahi it makes so much sense too. Completely frees the Christians from their deviance and innovations. Allah is certainly the best of planners.
                          Last edited by AmantuBillahi; 21-10-17, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Shabbir Ally : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hDAcHlfbK0

Comment

Crucifixion, like hanging, electric chair, gas chamber, etc is one of the capital punishments of the law of the day. Its purpose is, of course, to cause death to the accused who was sentenced to a death penalty. Thus, we should not see crucifixion any different from other death penalty forms of execution.

There’s no reasons to doubt what the Holy Quran said – “That they said (in boast), “’We killed Christ Jesus the son of Mary, the Messenger of Allah’ - but they killed him not, nor crucified him, but so it was made to appear to them, and those who differ therein are full of doubts, with no (certain) knowledge, but only conjecture to follow, for of a surety they killed him not—nay, Allah raised him up unto Himself; and Allah is Exalted in Power, Wise.” – (Quran 4:157-158).

All Muslims will agree that Jesus was not killed, however, there are Muslims who still have doubts that Jesus was not even crucified. They said Jesus was in fact crucified BUT he survived the crucifixion. Those who said this are obviously trying to reconcile or narrow the gap on the difference of opinions on this matter between the Muslims and the Christians. While the intention may be good, this, however, is not about the opinion of the Muslim scholars or the Christian scholars – it’s about what the Holy Quran had stated and the Holy Quran is very clear and precise on this matter – “they killed him not, nor crucified him”.

“They killed him not” is a statement of declaration, if you like, to those who boasted and those who believed the Jews and the Romans had killed Jesus when they have not and “nor was he crucified” is the added emphasis to the fact that Jesus was not killed for how could they have killed Jesus when they did not even crucify him… “for of a surety, they killed him not”. The statement 'nor was he crucified' is the surety or certainty that they did not kill Jesus the prophet.

Comment

Working...
                              X