Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Scientific errors in quran?

Originally posted by DescentofMan View Post
    Anyone who has read the story of Prophet Nuh and his ark will realize just how many scientific errors there are. And this is just one story.
    Care to elaborate?

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
      Care to elaborate?
      In relative chronological order:

-Nuh lived 950+ years

-Nuh building a massive ark

-Nuh fitting billions of species on his massive ark

So We revealed to him [saying], ‘Build the Ark, the ship, under Our watch, under Our observation and protection, and [by] Our revelation, Our command. Then, when Our command comes, that they be destroyed, and the oven, of the baker, gushes, with water — and this was Noah’s sign — bring into it, admit into the ship, of every kind [of animal] two mates, a male and a female, that is, [two] of every species thereof (ithnayn is an object; min, ‘of’, is semantically connected to usluk, ‘bring into [it]’). According to the story God, exalted be He, gathered all the beasts of prey and the birds and other [animals] for Noah. As he [Noah] pushed forth his hands into each species, his right hand would fall upon a male and the left upon a female, whereafter he would take them on board the ship (a variant reading [for min kuli, ‘of every’] is min kullin, ‘of every [kind]’, in which case zawjayni, ‘[two] mates’, becomes a direct object, with ithnayn, ‘two’, [being repeated] for emphasis thereof); together with your family — his wife [?] and children — except for those against whom the Word has already gone forth, that they be destroyed, namely, his wife and his son Canaan (Kan‘ān), unlike Shem (Sām), Ham (Hām) and Japheth (Yāfith) whom, together with their three wives, he carried on board. In sūrat Hūd [the following is mentioned where Noah is told who he should carry in the ship]: ‘… and those who believe.’ And none believed with him except a few [Q. 11:40]. It is said that these were six men and their wives. Moreover it is said that all those who were on the ship numbered seventy eight, half of them were men and half were women. And do not plead with Me concerning those who have done wrong, those who have disbelieved, that I should refrain from destroying them. They shall indeed be drowned.
      -Nuh somehow feeds carnivores with...?
      -Nuh keeps multiple species with varying habitability ranges (some living in the desert, some in colder environments) on his ark.
      -No genetic bottleneck is found in any of the animals or plants.
      -Humans now have not one, but two genetic bottlenecks (Adam and Eve; and Nuh) - both unfounded.

-Rainwater somehow causing worldwide flooding.
      -The flood occurs, it floods the Earth... Before anyone says it was a local flood,

And We saved him and his family from the great affliction. And We made his descendants those remaining [on the earth] (Q 37:76-77)

And made his descendants the survivors, thus all human beings are descended from him, peace be upon him. He had three sons: Shem (Sām), the ancestor of the Arabs, the Persians and the Byzantines; Ham (Hām), the ancestor of the Negroes; and Japheth (Yāfith), the ancestor of the Turks, the Khazar and [the peoples of] Gog and Magog and [the inhabitants of] such regions.
      Which means the flood was worldwide as it wiped out all of humanity except those on the ark.

-No geological evidence for said flood.
      -No archaeological evidence of said events
      -No genetic evidence for bottlenecks

Comment

In relative chronological order:

-Nuh lived 950+ years
        Explain the error.

Comment

First read the whole thing. Ask any/all questions in one post and I will get back to you in one post.

Comment

First read the whole thing. Ask any/all questions in one post and I will get back to you in one post.
            I prefer to address one point at a time.

Comment

It doesn't take a genius to know humans don't live 950 years.Tortoises live up to 250 years and they have a very low metabolism, humans on the other hand have a relatively high metabolism rate and simply do not live that long. In fact, the average age has increased since the past, not the other way around.

Comment

It doesn't take a genius to know humans don't live 950 years.Tortoises live up to 250 years and they have a very low metabolism, humans on the other hand have a relatively high metabolism rate and simply do not live that long. In fact, the average age has increased since the past, not the other way around.
                What was the average age of the first human(s)?

Comment

More or less the same...Though the average life expectancy has increased since the past to due less infant mortality and non-natural deaths.

Comment

More or less the same...
                    How did you observe and measure?

Comment

• Re: Scientific errors in quran?

1)Human metabolism has been similar for 200,000 years.

2)Fossils of humans in recent and far past shows no signs of such longevity in their lives. For example, many traditions paint Noah as a giant, which is completely unfounded.

3)Extrapolation from historical humans and their age showing similar maximum age with a very, very gradual increase since the past.

Comment

Originally posted by ismail123 View Post
                        This website has given many errors in quran. Are they true?
                        wikiislam.net/wiki/Scientific_Errors_in_the_Qur'an
                        Here is an explanation of errors:
                        http://muslimstudy.weebly.com/errors...515701606.html

Are they true or not, we have to analyze them....

Comment

1)Human metabolism has been similar for 200,000 years.

Show me the proofs that humans lived 200000 years. Show me the proofs that metabolism has been similar.

2)Fossils of humans in recent and far past shows no signs of such longevity in their lives. For example, many traditions paint Noah as a giant, which is completely unfounded.

Show me the proofs that from fossils you can identify the age of the humans. Show me the proofs that prophet Nooh wasnt a giant.

3)Extrapolation from historical humans and their age showing similar maximum age with a very, very gradual increase since the past.
                          How did you identify the age of the historical humans? Proof please.
                          Post the proofs here if you atleast believe what you are saying.
                          By the way do you believe the god. If not can you prove us that god doesnt exist.

I am waiting for your logical proofs.

Comment

Firstly, scientists do not deal with "proofs" and "logical proofs". We deal with evidence, there is a difference.

Show me the proofs that humans lived 200000 years. Show me the proofs that metabolism has been similar.

Human, H. s. sapiens, fossils dating 195,000 years:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0223122209.htm

From fossils we can find the genome, and realize that the human metabolic pathways, for example respiration, have been unchanged since. The only way Noah could have lived 950 years was if he was mythical human told from stories originating from the Epics of Gilgamesh, which is exactly what he is.

Show me the proofs that from fossils you can identify the age of the humans. Show me the proofs that prophet Nooh wasnt a giant.

Comparative Anatomy, Form and Function

There is a limit on human height. It is the reason why people born with hyperplasia of their pituitary gland end up extremely tall (eg. Robert Wadlow was 8'11 (2.72m)) but die very quickly, at the age of 22 in this case. It is impossible for Noah to have lived 950 years, and be a giant.

However, it should be noted that it should be you who has provide the evidence as the claim has been made by the Quran. There is absolutely no fossil evidence of giants or 950 year old humans.

Comment

Firstly, scientists do not deal with "proofs" and "logical proofs". We deal with evidence, there is a difference.

I need proof. If you dont have proofs for your beliefs than I dont believe it.

Human, H. s. sapiens, fossils dating 195,000 years:

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases...0223122209.htm

An article that repeatedly saying such is such years old without any proof of how it is such years old.

From fossils we can find the genome, and realize that the human metabolic pathways, for example respiration, have been unchanged since.

How do you realize the human metabolic pathways from genome. Why cant a giant human and us have the same respiration.

Comparative Anatomy, Form and Function

Another link that repeats stuffs without showing any proof.

There is a limit on human height. It is the reason why people born with hyperplasia of their pituitary gland end up extremely tall (eg. Robert Wadlow was 8'11 (2.72m)) but die very quickly, at the age of 22 in this case. It is impossible for Noah to have lived 950 years, and be a giant.

Again I need proofs for your claims.

However, it should be noted that it should be you who has provide the evidence as the claim has been made by the Quran. There is absolutely no fossil evidence of giants or 950 year old humans.
                              So you dont have any proofs for your claims.
                              Prove me that, there must be fossil evidence for giants for it to have existed.
                              By the way if you have proof for your claims, then just post it here. I need logical proofs.

Comment

An article that repeatedly saying such is such years old without any proof of how it is such years old.

Radiometric dating using the quantity of Potassium 40 in comparison with the Argon-40 as they both have different half-lives. You obviously haven't even bothered to read the article!

Read the article:

Feldspar has small amounts of radioactive potassium-40, which decays into argon-40 gas at a known rate. The gas, trapped inside feldspar crystals, allows scientists to date the feldspar and the pumice and ash encasing it. Brown says potassium-argon dating shows that a layer of ash no more than 10 feet (3 meters) below Omo I's and Omo II's burial place is 196,000 years old, give or take 2,000 years.
                                How do you realize the human metabolic pathways from genome. Why cant a giant human and us have the same respiration.

If the genes are the same, the metabolic processes are the same.

Another link that repeats stuffs without showing any proof.

Again, you don't even bother reading. Just one reason why giants can't exist (I can't believe I'm actually debating this)

On land the main force that we have to deal with is gravity. Our systems have to be strong enough to withstand the effects of gravity and keep from falling apart. We all know a lot about the effects of gravity on our bodies and I just want to make a couple of points. In a quadrupedal animal, weight is distributed unequally on the four legs. The back legs support the most of the weight while the front legs support very little. The main thing we have to remember about gravity is that although all structures with mass are effected in the same way by gravity, the smaller an animal is, the less important gravity is. The reason for this is that other factors come into play like friction and surface tension. A small lizard can climb up a tree with ease because it has enough friction to counteract gravity. A large lizard could never have a structure with enough friction to counteract gravity, and large climbing lizards have to use much more strength to climb.
                                There is a reason why people born with hyperplasia do not live very long lives. Their bones are brittle and unable to support their body weight.

So you dont have any proofs for your claims.
                                Prove me that, there must be fossil evidence for giants for it to have existed.

You need to come up with the evidence that mythical giants exist. Why don't you believe in the invisible pink unicorn or the flying spaghetti monster. After all, science can't disprove these things.

Comment

Working...
                                X