No announcement yet.

Errors in Quran ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Scientific and historic errors in the Quran?

Originally posted by observer. View Post
    I hear a lot that you cannot judge the Quran on translation, only in its Arabic form. If that's so, and the message of the Quran is for all of mankind, then why is the message not able to be translated accurately into more languages? Or why did god not send a prophet to dictate a book in each language?

Are all non-Arabic speakers meant to perfectly learn Arabic to understand the subtlety and complexity of the word of god? Why? That doesn't seem fair.

And if I can't understand the message of god because it's not in my language, why am I destined to go to hell for not believing it when it hasn't been conveyed properly?
    Your questions are unreasonable.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
      Your questions are unreasonable.

Why?

If there's a perfect message for mankind, why is it presented in a way that some can understand and others can't?

Comment

Why?

If there's a perfect message for mankind, why is it presented in a way that some can understand and others can't?
        What don't you understand?

Comment

What don't you understand?
          Arabic. If the pure message of god can only be understood in Arabic, then is that really fair?

Comment

Arabic. If the pure message of god can only be understood in Arabic, then is that really fair?
            What do you normally do when you don't understand something?

Two options:

1. Learn
            2. Ask someone who knows

Comment

What do you normally do when you don't understand something?

Two options:

1. Learn
              2. Ask someone who knows

1. So I (and approximately 5.8 billion other people) need to learn Arabic - perfectly - before being able to understand god's message properly.

2. Why would I trust someone else? I would want god's word direct, from the source. Since many muslims disagree over quran interpretation, who should I believe? Again, I need to learn Arabic - perfectly - to receive god's message.

According to you, god doesn't just want me to learn about his message, but also to learn an entirely new language to understand him. Does that seem reasonable?

Comment

1. So I (and approximately 5.8 billion other people) need to learn Arabic - perfectly - before being able to understand god's message properly.

2. Why would I trust someone else? I would want god's word direct, from the source. Since many muslims disagree over quran interpretation, who should I believe? Again, I need to learn Arabic - perfectly - to receive god's message.

According to you, god doesn't just want me to learn about his message, but also to learn an entirely new language to understand him. Does that seem reasonable?
                1. There are many Arabs that are not Muslim just as there are many Muslims (probably most) that don't know Arabic (as a language) so it's not just about language. You don't understand anything 'perfectly' and having 'perfect' command over the Arabic language is not a requirement (because it's not possible). You don't have 'perfect' command over English so will you reject everything you've learned in the English language? Of course not.

2. You trust someone because that's the way knowledge is shared.

Is learning something really a burden? Isn't learning one of the joys in life? You've spent how many years learning things anyway? What is better to learn than the truth?

Comment

1. There are many Arabs that are not Muslim just as there are many Muslims (probably most) that don't know Arabic (as a language) so it's not just about language.

But it is, isn't it? If someone highlights an "error" in the quran in a translated version, then they are told "Oh, well that's because the real quran, in Arabic, is different. So what do they do? Learn Arabic specifically to check the "error"?

I don't think religion should be about language, but when people are told that they cannot understand because they can't read the original text then you are making it purely a linguistic exercise.

Comment

But it is, isn't it? If someone highlights an "error" in the quran in a translated version, then they are told "Oh, well that's because the real quran, in Arabic, is different. So what do they do? Learn Arabic specifically to check the "error"?

I don't think religion should be about language, but when people are told that they cannot understand because they can't read the original text then you are making it purely a linguistic exercise.
                    How would you be able to highlight an error without understanding the language?

Language is a part of who we are.

Comment

Bismillahi Rahmani Rahim, In the name of Allah, The Most Merciful, The Ever Merciful

I hear a lot that you cannot judge the Quran on translation, only in its Arabic form. If that's so, and the message of the Quran is for all of mankind, then why is the message not able to be translated accurately into more languages? Or why did god not send a prophet to dictate a book in each language?https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ali+khan+Quran

I suggest you watch these two first from the list, simply explained:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gW8zG2a8rDM
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhHFiqktT7w

To answer your first argument:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SorG4bMIKOg
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QuDL8NCujekAre all non-Arabic speakers meant to perfectly learn Arabic to understand the subtlety and complexity of the word of god? Why? That doesn't seem fair. Understanding through theory is not the same as through practical application of theory.

And if I can't understand the message of god because it's not in my language, why am I destined to go to hell for not believing it when it hasn't been conveyed properly?

Comment

The Qur'an forces you to be highly intellectual, to think/ponder, research over and over again; so if someone tells you there's an error this should make you research and ponder until you find the right answer. The right answer will come only from God, not by learning arabic.

The Qur'an can transform the most illiterate to most educated, that's exactly what happened after the Qur'an was completed; it made a revolution in the world, it brought Knowledge into Light and brought people out of the dark ages. People know modernity and science today due to Qur'an, like a seed that is watered and eventually a tree grows bearing fruits all over, that is what Allah does in the Qur'an.

This is why Muslims came to know science and brought science to the world, because they wanted to KNOW the science in the Qur'an, and they put Qur'an into practice, so they became people of knowledge bringing oceans of knowledge to the world.

Comment

My problem is not that Arabic was chosen (although the choice of using a language which didn't even offer the ability to write down vowels, grammar etc, is a bit troublesome).

It is the fact that words were chosen which have multiple meanings, but at the same time, claiming over and over again that it was crystal clear and easy for everyone to understand.

Yet untold numbers of people over many centuries have spent their lives trying to fathom it out.

I can't reconcile those two things.

I understand that it was written in a style which makes it easy to remember, but what it the point of remembering a book that you don't understand properly?

Comment

Originally posted by iwasjimmyjimmy View Post
                            My problem is not that Arabic was chosen (although the choice of using a language which didn't even offer the ability to write down vowels, grammar etc, is a bit troublesome).

It is the fact that words were chosen which have multiple meanings, but at the same time, claiming over and over again that it was crystal clear and easy for everyone to understand.

Yet untold numbers of people over many centuries have spent their lives trying to fathom it out.

I can't reconcile those two things.

I understand that it was written in a style which makes it easy to remember, but what it the point of remembering a book that you don't understand properly?
                            It actually makes a lot of sense. There are many different types of people in this world, some will simply read the Qur'an, and it will be enough for them (as in the meaning they take), but, the deeper you want to go, the more knowledge you need to possess in order to understand it.

Take mathematics for example, can an every day person decode a complex algebraic equation without any understanding of algebra ?

Whenever you study a new subject, you need to understand the rules for that subject, before you can appreciate it, and (for some people) in order for it to make sense.
                            "Yaa Allah grant me victory, or make me die Shaheed"

Remember how the Unbelievers plotted against thee, to keep thee in bonds, or slay thee, or get thee out (of thy home). They plot and plan, and Allah too plans; but the best of planners is Allah.
                            (surah al-anfal v.30)

Comment

Originally posted by Qiyas View Post
                              It actually makes a lot of sense. There are many different types of people in this world, some will simply read the Qur'an, and it will be enough for them (as in the meaning they take), but, the deeper you want to go, the more knowledge you need to possess in order to understand it.

Take mathematics for example, can an every day person decode a complex algebraic equation without any understanding of algebra ?

Whenever you study a new subject, you need to understand the rules for that subject, before you can appreciate it, and (for some people) in order for it to make sense.
                              Mathematics is a bad analolgy, because

a) Mathematicians don't constantly state "this is obvious and easy".
                              b) Mathematics is perfectly precise and logical.

Comment

• Re: Errors in Quran ?

Assalamualikum,
                                we can see there are 114 chapters in holy quran.and it has been since 1400 hundred years ago it has challenged the whole human beings and other creatures of this world to bring out a single chapter like in quran.but untill no one was able to bring and i consider it as one of strong point that the holy quran is from the god.

Comment

Working...
                                X