• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An Invitation to Islamic... music?!

Bismillahir Rahmanir Rahim
    In the Name of Allah, the most Loving, the most Merciful,

As-Salam-Alaykum,
    May peace be upon you all.

This post is addressed mainly to non-Muslims: Some of you maybe aware (or not) that musical instruments are prohibited in Islam. However, whilst man-made instruments are prohibited, the beautiful natural instrument that is the human voice is not prohibited. It is through the human voice that we give the Adhaan (the call to prayer), it is with it that we recite the divine revelation, with it we reason and with it we call to others to Islam.

So as I was listening to some beautiful halal non-instrumental music regarding the Prophet Alayhis Salam (Peace be Upon Him) and his first and most beloved wife (Khadija Radiyallahu Anha - who he was married to solely throughout her life), I decided I would share this with the Muslims but also mainly the non-Muslims of the forum, so you witness how we express our love for the beloved slave of Allah Salallahu Alayhi Wa Salam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8-O...WzWYE2&index=4

- I hope you enjoy, Ma 'As Salama

I had a listen, it's just an attempt to copy music without music. I've seen quite a few of these 'halal' boy bands, never found one worth listening to.

I remember a very religious friend of mine took me to a halal restaurant telling me that they play the most amazing halal music. He grew up in a conservative household so had never listened to music. He was telling me how these songs were inventive and original and better than the 'trash' that I listen to in the charts.

The songs were similar to the one in the OP, sung buy a bunch of muslim boy bands. Every song I heard had a rhythm copied from some hit chart song. I sat there telling him, that naat is based on that chart song and that naat is based on that chart song. I told him you like the rhythms of real songs you consider haram.

These are usually just pale imitations of the real thing for people who cant or aren't allowed to listen to the real thing. It's like going into a shop with 40p and you cant afford a coca cola or a pepsi can so you buy an own brand cola you can afford and pretend it's as good as a pepsi or a coke.

Comment

Originally posted by ikami nacho View Post
      I had a listen, it's just an attempt to copy music without music. I've seen quite a few of these 'halal' boy bands, never found one worth listening to.

I remember a very religious friend of mine took me to a halal restaurant telling me that they play the most amazing halal music. He grew up in a conservative household so had never listened to music. He was telling me how these songs were inventive and original and better than the 'trash' that I listen to in the charts.

The songs were similar to the one in the OP, sung buy a bunch of muslim boy bands. Every song I heard had a rhythm copied from some hit chart song. I sat there telling him, that naat is based on that chart song and that naat is based on that chart song. I told him you like the rhythms of real songs you consider haram.

These are usually just pale imitations of the real thing for people who cant or aren't allowed to listen to the real thing. It's like going into a shop with 40p and you cant afford a coca cola or a pepsi can so you buy an own brand cola you can afford and pretend it's as good as a pepsi or a coke.
      Even if I was in a position to agree with your premise (I can't as I will not listen to instrumental music as it is prohibited), there are many cases of pre-modern nasheeds which would contradict your claim e.g. Tala al Badru Alayna is a poem from early islamic history, Imam ash-Shafi Rahimullah's poem etc.

I'm very interested - do you believe that Music is permissible?

Comment

Originally posted by Muhammad Hasan View Post

Even if I was in a position to agree with your premise (I can't as I will not listen to instrumental music as it is prohibited), there are many cases of pre-modern nasheeds which would contradict your claim e.g. Tala al Badru Alayna is a poem from early islamic history, Imam ash-Shafi Rahimullah's poem etc.

I'm very interested - do you believe that Music is permissible?
        What is pre-modern? Are you saying that music didn't exist before the modern era. Music has been around since long before Islam, Christianity, Judaism, Hinduism, Buddhism and most (if not all) organised religions.

Even during the time of Muhammad, his critics compared the style of the Quran to the style of pre-Islamic poetry claiming Muhammad was inspired by those poets words and rhythms.

Comment

Those type of Anasheed you mentioned wouldn't even be considered permissible. I don't listen to those type of Anasheed at all and only listen to religious poems recited in a beautiful manner without it turning in to singing as Anasheed often do nowadays. I admittedly haven't listened to the Nasheed posted above. But I remember from when I still did that you would often or always hear background voices mimicking a melody and rhythms.

-----

Question: There are some Islâmic Anâshîd that are sung together with tambourines (daff). They lead to enthusiasm and consist of good meanings. What is your opinion on it?

Shaykh Ibn ‘Uthaymîn: A lot is said about Islâmic Anâshîd. It was a long time ago I listened to them. They were okay when they first emerged. They were free from tambourines. They did not cause any tribulations and they were not sung in accordance with forbidden melodic tones. They have evolved through time. They began to be combined with percussion instruments, it may have been tambourines or something else. Subsequently, they further evolved and started to be sung with beautified, trying voices. Later on, they evolved even more and started to be sung as the forbidden songs. That is why I am not comfortable with them. It cannot be said that all of them are allowed just as it cannot be said that all of them are forbidden. They are allowed if they are free from the things I have mentioned. Nevertheless, if they are combined with tambourines, beautiful, trying voices or forbidden melodic tones, then they are not permissible to listen to.

Shaikh al-Albanee (rahimahullah) said:

“There may be another sin involved in that (i.e.,nasheeds), which is that they may be performed in the manner of immoral songs and performed according to the rules of eastern or western music which makes the listeners enjoy it and makes them dance and behave in a foolish manner. So the aim becomes the tune and the enjoyment there of, and not nasheed per se. This is a new error, and it is an imitation of the disbelievers and immoral people.

That may lead to a further error, which is imitating them in turning away from the Qur’aan and forsaking it, and being included in the general meaning of the complaint of the Prophet salAlahu alayhi wa salem as Allah says, “The Messenger (salAlahu alayhi wa salem) will say, ‘O my Lord! Verily, my people deserted this Qur’aan (neither listened to it nor acted on its laws and teachings).’” [Soorah al-Furqaan (25): 30] [end quote from Tahreem Alaat at-Tarab (p. 181)

Comment

Originally posted by TazkiyyatunNafs View Post

Those type of Anasheed you mentioned wouldn't even be considered permissible. I don't listen to those type of Anasheed at all and only listen to religious poems recited in a beautiful manner without it turning in to singing as Anasheed often do nowadays. I admittedly haven't listened to the Nasheed posted above. But I remember from when I still did that you would often or always hear background voices mimicking a melody and rhythms.
            That's one opinion. Clearly the thread starter believes in a different opinion.

The majority of Muslims dont seem to follow either opinion. Every Muslim country has some form of instrumental music from singers and bands, even the Saudis/Afghans. I know maybe a handful of Muslims who claim not to listen to instrumental music. Even those ones will listen to nasheeds which imitate music. The rest listen to instrumental music, some stay away from specific genres like heavy metal or rap.

It's hard to keep people away from something as natural as music which is even a part of nature itself.

Comment

Music is halal.
              You think you know more than my scholar's qiyās? He was more learned than you and all other scholars combined. Yeah, the devil was the greatest scholar too and look where his qiyās of fire being better than tīn got him. Sorry.

You follow your scholar's qiyās, and I will follow the Qur'ān and Sunnah.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkdeutscher View Post
                Music is halal.
                Interesting opinion. Mostly I have heard the opinion that music is haram. Your signature says you follow the Quran and Sunnah.

Could you explain your position based on those please. I'd love to read about it.

Comment

That's one opinion. Clearly the thread starter believes in a different opinion.

The majority of Muslims dont seem to follow either opinion. Every Muslim country has some form of instrumental music from singers and bands, even the Saudis/Afghans. I know maybe a handful of Muslims who claim not to listen to instrumental music. Even those ones will listen to nasheeds which imitate music. The rest listen to instrumental music, some stay away from specific genres like heavy metal or rap.

It's hard to keep people away from something as natural as music which is even a part of nature itself.
                  There are valid differences of opinions in Islaam, and there are not. What wasn't considered a difference of opinion among the Salaf, is not something I would consider a difference of opinion now. I know it has become a trend among Muslims to label everything as a difference of opinion and thus allowing things that were never allowed or considered a valid different opinion before. And Allaah knows best.

Comment

Working...
                  X