Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bra fitting - am i allowed to do this for others?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ladies Only! Bra fitting - am i allowed to do this for others?

x
    x
    xx
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    x
    Salaam All,

Does anyone know if I am allowed to carry out bra-fittings on women as part of my job. Im a sales advisor but on some occasions I do need to do this.Please make reference to a particular shaykh/fatwa. Jzk!
    Last edited by dhak1yya; 28-12-09, 09:54 AM. Reason: adding ladies only title, adding x's

Re: Bra fitting - am i allowed to do this for others?

I think it's permissible, although I'm no alimah. but generally the awrah for a woman infront of another woman is her navel to her knees.

http://www.islam-qa.com/en/ref/82994

What is established among the fuqaha’ is that the ‘awrah of a woman with another woman is the area between the navel and the knee, whether the woman is her mother or sister or is not her mahram. It is not permissible for a woman to look at the area between the navel and the knee of another woman, except in cases of necessity such as medical treatment and the like.

This does not mean that a woman may sit among other women with all of her body uncovered except the area between the navel and the knee. No one does that except women who are promiscuous and negiligent, or immoral and evildoers. The words of the scholars, “The ‘awrah is the area between the navel and the knee” should not be misunderstood, because this does not mean that this is how women should always dress and show themselves among their sisters and friends. No wise person would accept that and it is not what the fitrah (sound human nature) calls for.

Rather the way a woman should dress among other women is in clothes that cover properly and express her modesty and dignity. She should not show anything except that which appears when she is working and serving others, such as the head, neck, forearms and feet, as we have mentioned when discussing mahrams above.

The Standing Committee for Issuing Fatwas has explained what a woman is not permitted to uncover in front of her mahrams and other women. We have quoted this in the answer to question no. 34745.

We ask Allaah to guide us and you.

And Allaah knows best.

Comment

if you're a sister, then yes, it would be halal, or how would anyone get one fitted?? The breasts are not awra, and it's not necessary to uncover them to get one fitted, most shops will fit you when wearing a t-shirt or other light clothing on, the only exception is mothercare for maternity and nursing bras because the exact fit is more important, even then they don't see bare breasts they just look at how the bra fits when it's on, the measuring they do while you are wearing a bra. no shop other than mothercare has ever insisted on removing the t-shirt/vest.

if your're a brother, then it's haram. totally. without question.

---------------

just to add to the fatwa above, the reason most scholars I've read fatwas etc of say for breasts not being awra is to permit women to breastfeed in the company of other women, they dont' advise flashing them around or anything.

btw I'm moving this to the sisters only anon forum.....
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]
      [CENTER]
      [/CENTER]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=dimgray]
      [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Comment

:wswrwb: please call a masjid in your area and ask to speak to someone of knowledge about this issue. This isnt something that ppl on a forum can just tell u yes its halal or no its not, there are different factors such as the place we live, the kind of ppl u are dealing with weather there is an absolute necessity for this etc. :jkk: amin
        "O you who believe! Stand out firmly for justice, as witnesses to Allah, even as against yourselves, or your parents, or your kin, and whether it be (against) rich or poor: for Allah can best protect both. Follow not the lusts (of your hearts), lest you swerve, and if you distort (justice) or decline to do justice, verily Allah is well-acquainted with all that you do." [An-Nisa 4:135]

The Prophet :saw: said:

"Whosoever leaves off obedience and separates from the Jamaa'ah and dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah. Whoever fights under the banner of the blind, becoming angry for 'asabiyyah (nationalism/tribalism/partisanship) or calling to 'asabiyyah, or assisting 'asabiyyah, then dies, he dies a death of jaahiliyyah."

muslim

Narrated 'Abdullah:

The Prophet, said, "Abusing a Muslim is Fusuq (evil doing) and killing him is Kufr (disbelief)." sahih bukhari

"Creeping upon you is the diseases of those people before you: envy and hatred. And hatred is the thing that shaves. I do not say it shaves the hair but it shaves the religion!

By the One in whose Hand is my soul, you will not enter paradise until you believe, and you will not believe until you love one another. Certainly, let me inform you of that which may establish such things: spread the greetings and peace among yourselves."

[Recorded by Imam Ahmad and Al-Tirmidhi]

Comment

i've got a similar question, does ne1 kno if its allowed 2 have bras fitted by a non muslim woman - considering that in hanafi madhhab u normally wear hijab infront of non muslim women? when u go in a shop 2 b fitted it would most likely b a non muslim, and i dont think u could specify who u want cos it would b taken as rude :S
          or is it considered as a medical reason/necessity, 2 get the bra fitted so its okay? (not always a real necessity tho cos u can measure urself or just fit by trying on?)

Comment

I don't see the prob to get fitted by a non muslim woman? Like Dhakiyya said above, you don't need to remove your clothes or anything? You don't even need to remove your hijab? All they will do is measure under the bust and around the bust using a tape and tell you your size from that?
            What does 'freedom' mean?

Does the eagle want to swim in the sea,
            Restricted by the sky?

Does the fish want to dance on the wind,
            Not enough river to explore?

Yet the sky is freedom for the bird
            but death for the fish,

The sea is wide for the fish
            but will engulf the bird.

We ask for freedom but freedom to do what?
            We can only express our nature as it was created.

The prayer mat of the earth is freedom,
            freedom from slavery to other than the One,
            Who offers an shoreless ocean of love to swim in
            and a horizon that extends to the next life,
            Yet we chose the prison and call it freedom.

http://campaign.justgiving.com/chari...iyahschool2015

Comment

JazakAllahu khairun for all the valid and constructive replies. I work at mothercare, hence I asked!

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
              X