Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: I daydream and talk to myself to much

Salaam sister,

I have the exact same problem too. Google "maladaptive daydreaming" it's an actual disorder that people have; myself included.

Comment

Originally posted by Deen95 View Post
      Salaam sister,

I have the exact same problem too. Google "maladaptive daydreaming" it's an actual disorder that people have; myself included.
      Thank you brother.
      I read about it and all of it is spot on. But may I ask how you knew you had it? Do I have to go to a therapist?

Comment

Originally posted by brightesthour View Post
        I have this problem as well...

Not sure how to help. It probably is a loneliness thing, I don't really have anyone to talk to. Even the couple of friends I do have if I start talking to them about problems they don't seem to care, they say "idk" or change the subject fast. But then, when they have a problem they come to me??? So I vent to myself. I don't really do the movements like I'm speaking to someone, but I do talk to myself excessively.

I can get lost in daydreaming too.

Wish I could be more help :/, maybe it'll help to know you're not alone in doing this. If it's a major problem for you I hope you can get help for it.
        Salam sister. Thank you for your post I appreciate all kind of answers :D

It makes it easier to know I am not alone. It's not like I wish people the same lol. Just that I am tired of being "that one odd gal".

I tried to talk to people but I am so bad at expressing myself. I can't get the words right and everything comes out wrong. I have no friends I can trust and I don't want to look like a whiny baby in front of my family so I keep it for myself.
        Holding it in makes me so sick If I don't get to speak out, I can get extremely aggressive over time which makes me stressed out. That leads to me eating much less and my weight starts to drop. I get physically sick if I don't let it out somehow...

How did I end up like this?

Can I ask what happens if you do not speak to yourself? Do you feel the urge to do it? What do you do to help yourself stop daydreaming?

Comment

I dont think u need a therapist i think you just overthink plus shaytaans waswas

I overthink alot and daydream alot about good and bad things
          Just try not to think about these topics that could trigger these situations
          Also read quran and listen to ruqya and occupy tourself with activities
          You need friends
          Even if your married you will still need friends
          Dont go into marriage with a problem expecting your marriage to fix it unless its to do with the main purposes of marriage
          If you have an issue fix it before dont expect someone to come sweep u away and fix everything
          And im sure there are good muslim girls in sweden youl have to go to a masjid and see the sisters that go there regularly to find good sisters

Comment

Originally posted by P1RAT3N View Post
            I come from a big family so I don't really have an excuse to feel lonely. I don't live alone nor do I have a boring life. I hate myself for this and feel like a burden to my family.

A few weeks ago I was in deep thoughts about something that angered me. I got so mad that I actually raised a fist and then woke up, realizing that all of it was just a dream.... Is that really normal? What if I really hurt someone?
            It depends on the relationships you have. You can be in a family and surrounded by many but still not communicate effectively with them.

You are having vivid dreams. I had some where I could fly...it was problematic when I used to sleep on the top bunkbed and then wake up on the floor.

Comment

Thank you brother.
              I read about it and all of it is spot on. But may I ask how you knew you had it? Do I have to go to a therapist?
              No problems, sister

I just mentioned it on a website called Reddit and someone linked me to a category on that website called R/Maladaptive daydreaming.

As for therapists im not sure, I haven't been and i know of no cure, it's not really a widely known problem, I think a lot of therapists won't even know about it since others with our problem have reported little success by going to therapy.

All the best, insha'Allah.

Comment

This is so weird, I have the exact same problem... I am so ashamed that I let it take over my life and idk who I should talk to about this? Hopefully, things will get busy and it'll become less frequent. InshaAllah

Comment

Salam brothers and sisters.
                  (I am a sister so ignore my profile info pls. It's a mistake)

I have a "problem" which I cannot call a real problem but I still want to know if it's a problem. This sentence makes no sence but anyway...

I have always been a dreamer. Not sleep-dream, but daydream. I can sit alone for hours thinking about everything I can think about and personally I find nothing wrong with it. It's some kind of relaxation for me when stressed. I can get emotionall too, for example if I think about something that makes me mad, I cam get mad. But because it's a dream I can still twist it and solve the problem in the dream. So the dreams is a world I can control how I want. I has always been a dreamer and deep thinker.

But lately, it started to get worse. I talk to myself now. Alot. And I mean it. It's just... To much. When someone annoys me for example, I retreat to somewhere and I start to speak to myself. With hand gestures and face expressions as if that annoying person is standing in front of me! Before, I could wake up of the dream and continue with my daily life but now I can still be annoyed during the day. If it's something happy, I can be cheerfull throughout the whole day. People around me gets confused because I shift emotions all the time.

I think I developed this habbit of talking to myself because I have no other way to get my feelings out. I have no friends to talk to and even if I wanted to, it's just to private to share with anyone. The feeling as I am talking to someone helps me alot. But I am afraid to take this into the next level. Now I even started to daydream in the precense of other people without realizing that I am doing it. I am getting scared of myself now, as if I am sick in my head or something. But I'm aware of this habbit so calling it a sickness is to much.

Idk, I am a sister seeking help. What should I do?
                  Well I dont know where you and the guys here see the problem.I may seem weird here but according to me this is not from shaytan or anything.It is just your brain operating in a higher level of consciousness.All scientists used to daydream,a lot.A lot of discoveries happened cuz of daydreaming.There are new studies showing that daydreaming is related to high intelligence. After all daydreaming is imagination.We all know,imagination is intelligence having fun.:D In my opinion dont go to a therapist,they are good for nothing.All therapists need therapists themselves

Or maybe this is a way for your brain to escape reality.Maybe it is because you feel so lonely,your brain tries to fill these "holes" in your life.I say this from my experience,as I daydream everyday,even on purpose,to escape the life am living.Maybe that is true for you too.
                  In conclusion,dont worry,its a sign of high intelligence and complex neuron connection :)
                  ┏╮╭┓╭━━━━━━╮
                  ╰╮╭╯┃┈┈┈┈┈┈┃
                  ┃╰━╯┈┈╰╯┈┈┈┃
                  ┃┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈╰━┫

Comment

Originally posted by Aetos View Post
                    Well I dont know where you and the guys here see the problem.I may seem weird here but according to me this is not from shaytan or anything.It is just your brain operating in a higher level of consciousness.All scientists used to daydream,a lot.A lot of discoveries happened cuz of daydreaming.There are new studies showing that daydreaming is related to high intelligence. After all daydreaming is imagination.We all know,imagination is intelligence having fun.:D In my opinion dont go to a therapist,they are good for nothing.All therapists need therapists themselves

Or maybe this is a way for your brain to escape reality
                    .Maybe it is because you feel so lonely,your brain tries to fill these "holes" in your life.I say this from my experience,as I daydream everyday,even on purpose,to escape the life am living.Maybe that is true for you too.
                    In conclusion,dont worry,its a sign of high intelligence and complex neuron connection :)
                    You summarized my text again lol. I pretty sure this is why I dream. I need to be extremely focused on something to not daydream. If I get a little distracted then I will daze off.
                    This is why I couldnt call it a sickness cuz I know I am not. I just felt odd when people pointed it out, calling me weird n' stuff.

I burned the rice once, because I was focusing on the bubbles in the water bottle next to me. Seeing them float, and then explode one after another. Thinking they are like human lives. When some dies, Allah creates another. And it goes on like that...
                    The next thing I see is a furious mom next to me cuz I burned her favourite pan. I never did it again but oh man, that's some good ol' times xD.

I feel great talking to myself or fading in deep thoughts. I've been able to avoid alot of problems because I already experienced it in my dreams. I sort of see it coming and can kinda handle the situation according to what I've planned before.
                    Even my english improved alot.

But somehow, explaining it becomes hard. What I think about will never come out the same. Therapist can't help, and if daydreaming somehow helps the intellect, then I am happy to continue to dream. Sorry Therapists, but you won't get my money this time.

Comment

You summarized my text again lol. I pretty sure this is why I dream. I need to be extremely focused on something to not daydream. If I get a little distracted then I will daze off.
                      This is why I couldnt call it a sickness cuz I know I am not. I just felt odd when people pointed it out, calling me weird n' stuff.

I burned the rice once, because I was focusing on the bubbles in the water bottle next to me. Seeing them float, and then explode one after another. Thinking they are like human lives. When some dies, Allah creates another. And it goes on like that...
                      The next thing I see is a furious mom next to me cuz I burned her favourite pan. I never did it again but oh man, that's some good ol' times xD.

I feel great talking to myself or fading in deep thoughts. I've been able to avoid alot of problems because I already experienced it in my dreams. I sort of see it coming and can kinda handle the situation according to what I've planned before.
                      Even my english improved alot.

But somehow, explaining it becomes hard. What I think about will never come out the same. Therapist can't help, and if daydreaming somehow helps the intellect, then I am happy to continue to dream. Sorry Therapists, but you won't get my money this time.

Woooh,I was right.Really high level of intelligence you have there,and also a working 6th sense.I guess you daydreamed about being a real pirate too because you speak like them: ol' , n' . I got some more [ ''''''''''' ].Feel free to use them for your next n's and ol's haha.
                      Dont worry about the rice.Cooking is my hobby and I have also have a Certificate as a cook,and I have never in my life cooked a good rice.That food is just lvl:Extreme :D
                      Yeah I understand what you mean.Sometimes I even make 20 min long duaa and not get to the point,so I just tell Allah: You know what I mean.Or sometimes I switch in 2 or 3 languages while talking to explain myself better.You are not alone,there are others like us,and its a pretty good thing,Elhamdulillah,so relax,and dont forget....to keep on dreaming ;)..
                      ┏╮╭┓╭━━━━━━╮
                      ╰╮╭╯┃┈┈┈┈┈┈┃
                      ┃╰━╯┈┈╰╯┈┈┈┃
                      ┃┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈╰━┫

Comment

Originally posted by Aetos View Post
                        Woooh,I was right.Really high level of intelligence you have there,and also a working 6th sense.I guess you daydreamed about being a real pirate too because you speak like them: ol' , n' . I got some more [ ''''''''''' ].Feel free to use them for your next n's and ol's haha.
                        Dont worry about the rice.Cooking is my hobby and I have also have a Certificate as a cook,and I have never in my life cooked a good rice.That food is just lvl:Extreme :D
                        Yeah I understand what you mean.Sometimes I even make 20 min long duaa and not get to the point,so I just tell Allah: You know what I mean.Or sometimes I switch in 2 or 3 languages while talking to explain myself better.You are not alone,there are others like us,and its a pretty good thing,Elhamdulillah,so relax,and dont forget....to keep on dreaming ;)..
                        I love Pirates, Cowboys, Vikings, Marines, Soldiers... you name it. Their lifestyle is always facinating! I'll make sure to use all of those [ '''''''''' ]. And as of that rice.. I aint cookin' it no more. T'is all 'bout thee potatoes getting cooked after that incident :rotfl:

ان الله يعلم ما في الصدور . God knows what's inside of us. If your intentions is right, Allah is always forgiving. Everyone can't express themselves with words.

I will keep dreaming inshallah, Now I don't feel bad about it anymore :up:

Comment

Originally posted by zi-zizou View Post
                          It depends on the relationships you have. You can be in a family and surrounded by many but still not communicate effectively with them.

You are having vivid dreams. I had some where I could fly...it was problematic when I used to sleep on the top bunkbed and then wake up on the floor.
                          Lol
                          It all starts with a thought

Comment

You shouldn't normalise this behaviour especially when it gets to a level when it's uncontrollable. There is a line between this and going mental and it's not well defined so don't spend too much time doing this before your dreams become what your reality should be.

Comment

This is not normal unnatural and a waste of brain power.
                              Your brain would get used to high levels of stimulation and would crave it and things that can't stimulate your brain to such a level you would easily get bored of therefore leading to problems like ADHD and this would further lead to social problems and depression.

To add to this, your daydreaming is actually using up a lot of resources and leaving substances in your brain you need to get rid of, making it tired. Thus you'd encounter many more difficulties and lose the will to do more things IRL like studying Islam, memorising..

I won't disagree that there are some benefits to it but it should not become a habit because of all the problems it can lead to. Also, there has always been benefit in things which are bad for you even alcohol but that doesn't mean it's okay especially when there are alternative methods to gaining more intellect and ability to dealing with problems. Some of which are regarded as fard or sunnah.
                              [MENTION=142444]Aetos[/MENTION] [MENTION=145717]P1RAT3N[/MENTION]
                              Last edited by Jumpski; 06-11-17, 08:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumpski View Post
                                This is not normal unnatural and a waste of brain power.
                                Your brain would get used to high levels of stimulation and would crave it and things that can't stimulate your brain to such a level you would easily get bored of therefore leading to problems like ADHD and this would further lead to social problems and depression.

To add to this, your daydreaming is actually using up a lot of resources and leaving substances in your brain you need to get rid of, making it tired. Thus you'd encounter many more difficulties and lose the will to do more things IRL like studying Islam, memorising..

I won't disagree that there are some benefits to it but it should not become a habit because of all the problems it can lead to. Also, there has always been benefit in things which are bad for you even alcohol but that doesn't mean it's okay especially when there are alternative methods to gaining more intellect and ability to dealing with problems. Some of which are regarded as fard or sunnah.
                                [MENTION=142444]Aetos[/MENTION] [MENTION=145717]P1RAT3N[/MENTION]
                                Jumpski thank you for your advise.Her brain already gets bored.Idk where I read somewhere that she feels alone even when she is with others.But if these people talked about things which give high stimulation,like Islam for example,then she wouldnt feel bored.I know this because she is active in an Islamic forum.If it bored her,she wouldnt be here.So if it doesnt take her away from Islam,let it take her away from things with low level of stimulation.

Yes but depends how you use it.Putting alcohol on a wound is full of benefits but if you drink it there is no benefit.If she daydreams during the salah ok that is really bad and need to stop but if she goes from water bubble to meditate on the things Allah created,that is pretty good I think.

Yeah ofc,you get even good deeds when you follow the sunnah.I am starting to get obssessed in following the sunnah now.But what sunnah do I follow to deal with the problem that I have no muslim friends,or depression from not being able to pray? Its been years since I even shook hands with a muslim,and I am still practising as much as I can secretly.The forum doesnt satisfy my social need that much so I turn to daydreaming.If Id never escape with my mind from the reality I am living,I would be shattered.Daydreaming about going to Mecca or about the marriage topic,can give me a good sleep at least.The sister says it also helps her with her loneliness,apart from other stuff,so thats why I think it is not a waste of brain power.

I think I am in this sisters shoes and I know how she feels,thats why i am talking with such "assurance"
                                You arent wrong though,but in my opinion in this scenario its better to daydream
                                ┏╮╭┓╭━━━━━━╮
                                ╰╮╭╯┃┈┈┈┈┈┈┃
                                ┃╰━╯┈┈╰╯┈┈┈┃
                                ┃┈┈┈┈┈┈┈┈╰━┫

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X