• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• work as a phlebotomist as a muslimah

I want to know if it is allowed.

Re: work as a phlebotomist as a muslimah

:salams

Yes, it's allowed if you're only going to be working with females or children. If that's not possible and you will have to work with men, then it will not be permissible.

Comment

Actually, I believe that it is permissable.
      My cousin is a muslimah and she works as a nurse and practices phlebotomy on her patients

When it comes to medical issues, the whole gender restriction is not islamically enforced

islamically when it comes to medicine and health it doesn't matter whether the dr is a male or female, or if the patient is a male or female

Allah swt knows best but this is what ive learned and known about for a while now.

Comment

Originally posted by muslimgirl13 View Post
        Actually, I believe that it is permissable.
        My cousin is a muslimah and she works as a nurse and practices phlebotomy on her patients

When it comes to medical issues, the whole gender restriction is not islamically enforced

islamically when it comes to medicine and health it doesn't matter whether the dr is a male or female, or if the patient is a male or female

Allah swt knows best but this is what ive learned and known about for a while now.
        That's an interesting point of view, do you have any evidence for the normal restrictions on gender interaction being lifted totally for issues of medical care?
        FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by The Poet View Post
          :salams

Yes, it's allowed if you're only going to be working with females or children. If that's not possible and you will have to work with men, then it will not be permissible.
          :wswrwb:

How do you account for the women who worked in the marketplaces of the Muslim lands in the past, including in the time of the rightly guided khulafa?
          FOLLOW THE NEW BLOG - GINGERBEARDMAN - Muslim, father, husband, writer, defender of ginger rights!

www.facebook.com/outreach4Islam - Outreach4Islam have been working together in Leicester, calling the not yet Muslims to Islam since 2006.

Comment

Originally posted by Gingerbeardman View Post

How do you account for the women who worked in the marketplaces of the Muslim lands in the past, including in the time of the rightly guided khulafa?
            The women still had full hijab in them times (even niqab)
            Not to mention people had akhlaaq and adaab

Within phlebotomy there would be physical contact between between worker and patient as well and you cant have full hijab

Comment

I see nothing wrong with the women who worked in marketplaces and were involved in trade in the past, because the khulafa didn't prohibit this nor have objections with it. This shows that the women were following Islamic principles, such as wearing proper hijab and interacting with men in a respectful and firm manner.

However in regards to OP, I don't see how it's permissible for her to work with men. I'm assuming she lives in the West and in fields like health care, professionals are encouraged to develop a friendly relationship with their patients, such as giving eye contact, constant reassurance, physical contact, etcetera.

It's impossible for a Muslimah to work with men in that environment without compromising on her hayaa and causing temptation. It would lead to haram, so therefore should be avoided. The only exception is in emergencies and life threatening situations. The best thing is for sisters to specialize with women, that way they work in a 100% strictly female only environment without any contact with men in any shape and form whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by The Poet View Post
                I see nothing wrong with the women who worked in marketplaces and were involved in trade in the past, because the khulafa didn't prohibit this nor have objections with it. This shows that the women were following Islamic principles, such as wearing proper hijab and interacting with men in a respectful and firm manner.

However in regards to OP, I don't see how it's permissible for her to work with men. I'm assuming she lives in the West and in fields like health care, professionals are encouraged to develop a friendly relationship with their patients, such as giving eye contact, constant reassurance, physical contact, etcetera.

It's impossible for a Muslimah to work with men in that environment without compromising on her hayaa and causing temptation. It would lead to haram, so therefore should be avoided. The only exception is in emergencies and life threatening situations. The best thing is for sisters to specialize with women, that way they work in a 100% strictly female only environment without any contact with men in any shape and form whatsoever.
                Two issues there, you've agreed first of all it was something allowed then, as long as proper etiquette observed then you've said it shouldn't be now, because proper etiquette will not be observed. Shouldn't your reply have been it should not be allowed 'unless' following islamic principles rather than saying it is blanket not allowed?

Also, you state the need for women to seek treatment from women, and specialize in that area, and would agree but if you blanket don't allow women to go into business, or medicine or whatever in the first place then this is not possible and there will be no women for you to interact with as couldn't get trained up in the first place.

Comment

Two issues there, you've agreed first of all it was something allowed then, as long as proper etiquette observed then you've said it shouldn't be now, because proper etiquette will not be observed. Shouldn't your reply have been it should not be allowed 'unless' following islamic principles rather than saying it is blanket not allowed?

Also, you state the need for women to seek treatment from women, and specialize in that area, and would agree but if you blanket don't allow women to go into business, or medicine or whatever in the first place then this is not possible and there will be no women for you to interact with as couldn't get trained up in the first place.
                  I agree, I shouldn't have made a blanket statement that it's not allowed.

I just want to clarify myself further to avoid any misunderstandings. I didn't make any blanket statements about sisters not being allowed to study at all. I personally don't have issues with sisters studying in mixed universities, because that's the only option available for them in the West. In saying that, I strongly recommend they enter fields that will help bring benefit to Muslim women. As long as they adhere to Islamic principles like wearing proper hijab, etcetera, then no problem.

My issue is mainly with sisters who work in mixed environments. This is because they have the means to avoid this, as there are more options and choices available for them. So in OP's case, I'd suggest she seeks work in places like women's health centres/clinics, where she would be only surrounded by women. Even though it's permissible for sisters to interact with men whilst adhering to Islamic principles, I feel it's much better and more preferable if they're able to avoid that and limit their interactions with women only.

Comment

Does anyone here know how the requirements for obtaining a phlebotomist license differ in the US and in Muslim countries? I studied in the USA, and now everything is ready for me to obtain a license. In fact, this is not required in all states, but I decided it was better to play it safe. After all, nothing prevents me from moving at any time. And I can easily find out the requirements https://phlebotomynearyou.com/phlebotomy-license/. But at the same time, I want to be sure that I can continue my medical practice if I return home.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                    X