Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Perverted Addictions: Why Can't I Just Quit!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Perverted Addictions: Why Can't I Just Quit!

There is no addiction in this world which is bigger than the will power and faith of a man, if you are strong enough and firmly believe in yourself and your creator, you can do anything.

Comment

Here's what I do to stay away from habit (or actions) which are detrimental as deemed by Allah Ar-Rahman (but I'm not always successful hah, but hey the first step is identifying we have a problem)

1) Who created me?
      2) Surely Who created me has logic that far supersedes mine, and His will and logic encompasses everything in this world and the next world
      3) Know that the life of this world is but amusement and diversion and adornment and boasting to one another and competition in increase of wealth and children - like the example of a rain whose [resulting] plant growth pleases the tillers; then it dries and you see it turned yellow; then it becomes [scattered] debris. And in the Hereafter is severe punishment and forgiveness from Allah and approval. And what is the worldly life except the enjoyment of delusion. 57:20
      4) Race toward forgiveness from your Lord and a Garden whose width is like the width of the heavens and earth, prepared for those who believed in Allah and His messengers. That is the bounty of Allah which He gives to whom He wills, and Allah is the possessor of great bounty. 57:21

Conclusion: We can achieve jannah in this world, if we can unshackle ourselves from the false world we have created with what our hands have thrown, ie our deed. Race to do good.

NB: its just my take on those few verses. Please modify/correct/add if I'm mistaken or if I have missed something.

Comment

This is an interesting topic for me as a Christian. For us, rather than try to do good or avoid evil, we trust that our hearts need to be remade. We were designed by God originally to be with him and reliant on him for all of our needs, and it was only in our rebellion that we sought to make things happen through our own efforts. As such, we believe that the fix to sin is not trying harder not to sin but rather to recognize that all of our hope comes from the Lord. So when we find ourselves trapped in sin, we go to the Lord in prayer and ask him to remake our hearts, redesign our intentions, so that they fit his intention for us. The Christian scriptures suggest that what God wants from us is not sacrifice but rather a contrite heart and a desire to be in right relationship with him. When we recognize our own INability to be good through our own effort, we return to him and seek from him a NEW heart on which he writes the law of the Lord so that we now desire that which is good and holy and pleasing to him.
        ---Committed to Loving All People of All Faiths---

Comment

Originally posted by MCBridge View Post
          This is an interesting topic for me as a Christian. For us, rather than try to do good or avoid evil, we trust that our hearts need to be remade. We were designed by God originally to be with him and reliant on him for all of our needs, and it was only in our rebellion that we sought to make things happen through our own efforts. As such, we believe that the fix to sin is not trying harder not to sin but rather to recognize that all of our hope comes from the Lord. So when we find ourselves trapped in sin, we go to the Lord in prayer and ask him to remake our hearts, redesign our intentions, so that they fit his intention for us. The Christian scriptures suggest that what God wants from us is not sacrifice but rather a contrite heart and a desire to be in right relationship with him. When we recognize our own INability to be good through our own effort, we return to him and seek from him a NEW heart on which he writes the law of the Lord so that we now desire that which is good and holy and pleasing to him.

(I hope you won't mind/ be offended with this greeting)

Please read:
          https://quran.com/103

We must persevere on doing good, but not be proud (I'm better than they-only God absolutely knows who is better).
          I witnessed that some christians evade church because they noticed "people who sinn most visit the church most", not to mention what other they said.
          Doing good/bad deeds transforms us-you know the fiction example of star wars, but in reality the "light side" is far, far, far more powerful and many know that-from what they experienced, maybe reliquae reliquarum.
          Sinning leads to dhulm, hypofunction, diseases, intense pain etc.
          We know by deep reading/learning/thinking out of primary sources what is right and what is wrong and we must obey.

You know that crime leads to more crime and that crime examples/upbringing, less of good examples or support in good leads to evil.

Do you want with your society to eventually become a saint or an anti hero?
          We Muslims should love to compete with our best friends christians or any other people to compete in good.

If we eventually sinn, in reality all sinn (some major, some minor, some do not know that it is major) we must repent and persevere in good as much as we can.

We should ask prayers like astagfirullah wa atubu ilayh generally for sinns we do not know-God knows absolutely.

Please read also:
          https://authentic-dua.com/category/d...kr/heart-qalb/

Please, are some of wording contrary to your beliefs?

I must confess that I like more the ACTS/DEEDS/PRAYERS of maybe reformist christians, as maybe in my limited knowledge, they have less number of prayers towards other than God alone.

Comment

Originally posted by Murid View Post

(I hope you won't mind/ be offended with this greeting)

Please read:
            https://quran.com/103

We must persevere on doing good, but not be proud (I'm better than they-only God absolutely knows who is better).
            I witnessed that some christians evade church because they noticed "people who sinn most visit the church most", not to mention what other they said.
            Doing good/bad deeds transforms us-you know the fiction example of star wars, but in reality the "light side" is far, far, far more powerful and many know that-from what they experienced, maybe reliquae reliquarum.
            Sinning leads to dhulm, hypofunction, diseases, intense pain etc.
            We know by deep reading/learning/thinking out of primary sources what is right and what is wrong and we must obey.

You know that crime leads to more crime and that crime examples/upbringing, less of good examples or support in good leads to evil.

Do you want with your society to eventually become a saint or an anti hero?
            We Muslims should love to compete with our best friends christians or any other people to compete in good.

If we eventually sinn, in reality all sinn (some major, some minor, some do not know that it is major) we must repent and persevere in good as much as we can.

We should ask prayers like astagfirullah wa atubu ilayh generally for sinns we do not know-God knows absolutely.

Please read also:
            https://authentic-dua.com/category/d...kr/heart-qalb/

Please, are some of wording contrary to your beliefs?

I must confess that I like more the ACTS/DEEDS/PRAYERS of maybe reformist christians, as maybe in my limited knowledge, they have less number of prayers towards other than God alone.
            We are also called to do good. And we are called to encourage others to do the same. I wasn't trying to suggest the pursuit of holiness was flawed. I think what I was saying is more in line with what you posted from "the prophet's most repeated dua". The pursuit of righteousness and holiness is definitely a component of Christianity. I was saying that the SOURCE of an improved righteousness is the work of the Lord in us. As that dua states, we need God to draw us to him and remake our hearts so that we desire righteousness and holiness. We won't beat a sin by just really straining to overcome it...we need the Lord to rewrite our intentions.

And as for your last point, I am not Catholic, but Protestant, which I think is what you're using the "reformist" term for. Because yes, we pray ONLY to God...not to saints or Mary or whoever else...because the source of our strength isn't us...and it isn't saints praying for us...it is God and God alone.

We as Christians also rest in the knowledge that God has promised salvation for those who have accepted his offer of forgiveness through the sacrifice of Christ. That doesn't free us from the need to do good and avoid evil...we would say it opens us up to being ABLE to do good and avoid evil because it is through that God makes us new. Some probably just bank on God's mercy and continue to sin...but the Injil is clear that such a person hasn't at all truly understood and accepted the call of Christ. So it's a false security. A true faith will produce a changed heart through the work of God in a believer such that they will become more and more Christlike over time according to our scriptures. So those who just say "I have Jesus so I'm good" are mistaken. The key to Christianity is the new heart that loves the law of the Lord made possible by God's work in us.

In Judaism, God promised through the prophet Jeremiah that there would come a day where he would make a new covenant with his people, and write the law on their hearts.

33 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people. 34 And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”

And then Jesus came:
            19 And he took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and gave it to them, saying, “This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.” 20 And likewise the cup after they had eaten, saying, “This cup that is poured out for you is the new covenant in my blood.

So we say that it is through the sacrifice of Christ that the new covenant is applied to the hearts of followers of Isa. Jeremiah spoke of "the house of Israel" as the recipient of the new covenant but both the Old Testament and the New speak of the nations being included in a future covenant. So the NEW Covenant when it came was made available to the spiritual house of Israel...those who in Spirit followed the Lord as Abraham did. It's a spiritual inheritance not an ethnic one.

So having read what you wrote, I think you and I agree generally. I just saw in the original posts more of a focus on just straining to be good MORE than I saw a focus on asking Allah to draw us nearer in heart to submission to God. That dua is in keeping with what we focus on in Christianity. Thanks for sharing!

Blessings, my friend...and I am not the least offended by being greeted anyway you feel is a reflection of fellowship. So وَعَلَيْكُمُ ٱلسَّلَامُ
            Last edited by MCBridge; 12-10-21, 02:53 PM.

Comment

Dear MCBridge,
              Thank you for your very informative reply!
              I did not know that Protestants pray only to God alone.

Regarding Jewish scripture mentioned, to my mind came and you know too that the last scripture is memorised by heart, well known to anyone (no one can hide it or misuse power of it) and that hadiths are all well written by chain (well graded narrators) transmission.

What is spiritual covenant? God will not almost certain speak throught you or to you directly. How do you learn and know Law.
              Our prophet Isa, peace be upon him, was Word of God (thus maybe some misinterpret what God said throught him). Maybe there was no angel intermediary (THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION AND SOME MORE LEARNT SHOULD REPLY). You mentioned that he thanked Lord.
              You must learn and then obide, follow laws (example state laws).

In spiritual relations many will try to interfere with what you learnt, your desires, nafs, devil, jinn, other souls, magic, misinterpretation, other stances, forgetfullness etc.etc.

Thus we must make duas/prayers and have mindfullness and remembrence of God, learn, do good deeds to be changed into beter and better and better.

Some catholics I met do not love to mention Gods name, and some Jews -not often. What is maybe said-not to mention Gods name is in my opinion-not joking, false testifying (marketplaces, oaths).
              Sadly some audhubillah curse Gods name (devil maybe tries to help them).
              God lets mostly you to choose.
              You must be consistant in right thoughts, prayers and deeds.
              Life is full of tests.

Above is a quick reply. Please do not be offended with my writing style/typos/grammar/vocabulary. English in not my first language and I'm not good educated or emotionally intelligent.
              Last edited by Murid; 12-10-21, 03:52 PM. Reason: FEW typos

Comment

PS
                Found here on a Shia website, a text written by an American alumni with scientific principle, open minded, inshaAllah.
                https://www.al-islam.org/jesus-kalim...allah-word-god

As PPS also please read in depth about hawlaqala in Islam

Comment

Additional shorter explanation:
                  https://www.islamweb.net/en/fatwa/33...allah-in-quran

Comment

The text on Al Islam website has mentioned an alternative conclusion, but we should know Quran 3:45-51

Mainstream opinion is that Injil is kitab, probably lost, or in fragments written in some of gospels as citation or interpretation.

Please read https://www.abuaminaelias.com/dailyh...gospel-injeel/

Comment

I previously recommended the book
                      Secrets of Divine Love by A Helwa, but, there are some parts I disagree:
                      -visualisation techniques
                      -on Kindle page 174
                      "Therefore, the Prophet’s actions were a reflection of God’s qualities manifested on Earth."

It is important that God has His own qualities and nothing is similar to him-some say if you compare Him to anything, you've mistaken.

There are God loved qualities we know from Quran and sunnah and we should be so.

Very important, not to be mushrik/tagut worst of kind.
                      Some sufis sadly make a worst mistake.

Comment

PS
                        I reposted here because I found it important for this thread

Another important stance is that everything is manifestation of Gods will or if you will allowed by God.
                        La hawla wa la quwwata illa billah.

Comment

We have free will/thoughts (often influenced by many other factors), but will they manifest it is divines will,
                          Allah knows what will happen. Qada/Qader is closely interrelated (every further manifestation?, can someone partake into elaboration?)
                          Last edited by Murid; 15-10-21, 07:13 PM.

Comment

PS Also, there are predestined events, but our acts like dua, maintaining family ties or something else can maybe change qadar.

Comment

Originally posted by Murid View Post
                              Dear MCBridge,

What is spiritual covenant? God will not almost certain speak throught you or to you directly. How do you learn and know Law.
                              Our prophet Isa, peace be upon him, was Word of God (thus maybe some misinterpret what God said throught him). Maybe there was no angel intermediary (THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT QUESTION AND SOME MORE LEARNT SHOULD REPLY). You mentioned that he thanked Lord.
                              You must learn and then obide, follow laws (example state laws).

In spiritual relations many will try to interfere with what you learnt, your desires, nafs, devil, jinn, other souls, magic, misinterpretation, other stances, forgetfullness etc.etc.

Thus we must make duas/prayers and have mindfullness and remembrence of God, learn, do good deeds to be changed into beter and better and better.
                              NOTE: This is a LONG one. I put in a LOT of scripture to support what I'm saying.

The entire Jewish scriptures are centered around a couple covenants that God made with his people. This is a long discussion because there was a covenant with Abraham that wasn't dependent on Abraham doing anything...it was a promise assured by the goodness of God. There was also a covenant God made with the Hebrew people through Moses that he would remain with them and bless them as long as they were obedient to him.

Then God basically through Jeremiah said that he was going to make a new covenant to replace the old Mosaic one because they had broken it, and the new covenant would be written on their hearts and God would be with them and they would know him, each would know him personally. That's the covenant I mentioned above that Isa said he was fulfilling as the Word of God in flesh.

You say that God would not speak through or to us directly, and historically that was true...all throughout Jewish history, God spoke PRIMARILY to his chosen prophets, and sometimes he did so through an intermediary, but other times he spoke to them directly.

In Exodus 33, it says:

11 Thus the Lord used to speak to Moses face to face, as a man speaks to his friend. When Moses turned again into the camp, his assistant Joshua the son of Nun, a young man, would not depart from the tent.

But because of the sin of people, God created a high priest, and only the high priest could go into the holiest place in the temple, and even then only once a year, and before he went in he had to wash himself and make atonement for HIS sin, so that God would accept him into his presence to do the annual task on behalf of the people. That part of the temple was separated from the other parts by a curtain. Nobody but the high priest could go in there and engage with the Lord directly.

HOWEVER, the New Testament scriptures show that when Isa died (i know, a whole debate of its own)...the temple curtain was torn in two.

Matthew 27:50-52
                              50 And Jesus cried out again with a loud voice and yielded up his spirit.

51 And behold, the curtain of the temple was torn in two, from top to bottom. And the earth shook, and the rocks were split. 52 The tombs also were opened. And many bodies of the saints who had fallen asleep were raised,

Christians believe that when Jesus accomplished what he came to earth to accomplish, that is the establishment of the new covenant, he created a way for us to have our sins removed which would allow us to engage with the Lord DIRECTLY rather than through an intermediary, which was symbolized by the removal of the curtain. In that way, we now have personal access to God through his Word, Isa, because our sins have been washed permanently through his act of love for us.

So no longer do we need a priest or an angel or an intermediary for God has moved close to us. If you read the whole of the Jewish scriptures and carry that into the Christian scriptures you see the following...

God and Adam spoke together directly and walked together, but then sin separated God and Adam. Then God appeared on a mountain far above the people to give the law to Moses. Then God moved closer to the people, in a tabernacle...which was basically a temporary building that they would put up and take down and move when they moved. Then God came into the temple, a permanent building where he would engage with the priests. THEN the people sinned and God left the temple, but promised that he would come again and walk among them. END OF JEWISH SCRIPTURES. Then Jesus came, we believe AS God (note: not in addition to God, but AS God's Word in the form of flesh), and walked among them just as he said...and THEN when he ended his ministry and tore the temple curtain in two, he made available a relationship with God such that the Spirit of God takes up residence in the souls of those who follow him.

Jesus promised exactly that when he spoke to his disciples BEFORE he died in John 14:15-27:

15 “If you love me, you will keep my commandments. 16 And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper,[f] to be with you forever, 17 even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be[g] in you.

18 “I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you. 19 Yet a little while and the world will see me no more, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live. 20 In that day you will know that I am in my Father, and you in me, and I in you. 21 Whoever has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me. And he who loves me will be loved by my Father, and I will love him and manifest myself to him.” 22 Judas (not Iscariot) said to him, “Lord, how is it that you will manifest yourself to us, and not to the world?” 23 Jesus answered him, “If anyone loves me, he will keep my word, and my Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him. 24 Whoever does not love me does not keep my words. And the word that you hear is not mine but the Father's who sent me.

25 “These things I have spoken to you while I am still with you. 26 But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, he will teach you all things and bring to your remembrance all that I have said to you. 27 Peace I leave with you; my peace I give to you. Not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your hearts be troubled, neither let them be afraid.

And then after he died when he appeared again to them, he told them to stay in Jerusalem until the Spirit came.

Luke 24:49
                              49 And behold, I am sending the promise of my Father upon you. But stay in the city until you are clothed with power from on high.”

Acts 1:8
                              8 But you will receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you, and you will be my witnesses in Jerusalem and in all Judea and Samaria, and to the end of the earth.”

And then that HAPPENED...

Luke 2:1-41
                              2 When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. 2 And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. 3 And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested[a] on each one of them. 4 And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance.

5 Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. 6 And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language. 7 And they were amazed and astonished, saying, “Are not all these who are speaking Galileans? 8 And how is it that we hear, each of us in his own native language? 9 Parthians and Medes and Elamites and residents of Mesopotamia, Judea and Cappadocia, Pontus and Asia, 10 Phrygia and Pamphylia, Egypt and the parts of Libya belonging to Cyrene, and visitors from Rome, 11 both Jews and proselytes, Cretans and Arabians—we hear them telling in our own tongues the mighty works of God.” 12 And all were amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, “What does this mean?” 13 But others mocking said, “They are filled with new wine.”
                              Peter's Sermon at Pentecost

14 But Peter, standing with the eleven, lifted up his voice and addressed them: “Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and give ear to my words. 15 For these people are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day.[b]16 But this is what was uttered through the prophet Joel:

17 “‘And in the last days it shall be, God declares,
                              that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh,
                              and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy,
                              and your young men shall see visions,
                              and your old men shall dream dreams;
                              18 even on my male servants and female servants
                              in those days I will pour out my Spirit, and they shall prophesy.
                              19 And I will show wonders in the heavens above
                              and signs on the earth below,
                              blood, and fire, and vapor of smoke;
                              20 the sun shall be turned to darkness
                              and the moon to blood,
                              before the day of the Lord comes, the great and magnificent day.
                              21 And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.’

22 “Men of Israel, hear these words: Jesus of Nazareth, a man attested to you by God with mighty works and wonders and signs that God did through him in your midst, as you yourselves know— 23 this Jesus,[c] delivered up according to the definite plan and foreknowledge of God, you crucified and killed by the hands of lawless men. 24 God raised him up, loosing the pangs of death, because it was not possible for him to be held by it. 25 For David says concerning him,

“‘I saw the Lord always before me,
                              for he is at my right hand that I may not be shaken;
                              26 therefore my heart was glad, and my tongue rejoiced;
                              my flesh also will dwell in hope.
                              27 For you will not abandon my soul to Hades,
                              or let your Holy One see corruption.
                              28 You have made known to me the paths of life;
                              you will make me full of gladness with your presence.’

29 “Brothers, I may say to you with confidence about the patriarch David that he both died and was buried, and his tomb is with us to this day. 30 Being therefore a prophet, and knowing that God had sworn with an oath to him that he would set one of his descendants on his throne, 31 he foresaw and spoke about the resurrection of the Christ, that he was not abandoned to Hades, nor did his flesh see corruption. 32 This Jesus God raised up, and of that we all are witnesses. 33 Being therefore exalted at the right hand of God, and having received from the Father the promise of the Holy Spirit, he has poured out this that you yourselves are seeing and hearing. 34 For David did not ascend into the heavens, but he himself says,

“‘The Lord said to my Lord,
                              “Sit at my right hand,
                              35 until I make your enemies your footstool.”’

36 Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified.”

37 Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, “Brothers, what shall we do?” 38 And Peter said to them, “Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. 39 For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself.” 40 And with many other words he bore witness and continued to exhort them, saying, “Save yourselves from this crooked generation.” 41 So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls.

God created people to be with him directly. Sin messed that up. But then over the ages God has moved closer and closer and closer to his people, until he walked among them and then sent his Spirit to live within us and encourage us and to guide us and to correct us, etc.

That's the Christian perspective of covenant and the ability to commune with God directly.

Comment

Dear MCBridge,
                                Thank you for your well datailed, important and understandable explanation!
                                You did put a lot of effort.

I will write my stances, without an aim to disrepect you, just trying to be informative, letting us think about further.

From our primary sources, we know that:
                                -Jews had also prayers, like our salat-namaz
                                -common people prayed to God directly, for example, https://quran.com/71

Additionally:
                                -jews pray directly to God?
                                -the time when Isa/Jesus was brought into heavens (maybe my vocabulary/grammar is not correct) was a time of major fitnah, and the muslim stance us "that it seem to them so that they killed or crucified them"
                                -fire element and posession is not uncommon among many religions
                                -you do not want to get posessed by fire element?, rendering you insane?, loosing will and conciousness, like full scale posession
                                -some christian (and many other religions) creeds use various techniques to get inyo extasis-but does it bring good and holy athmosphere or creepiness and dhulm?
                                -would someone be able to hold a lecture, to drive safely, to know laws under posession
                                -is the similar type of posession caused and treated by witches and exorcist, even in hinduism and budhism and shamanic and animalistic traditions etc.

-you must know-learn the scripture and follow it, that is common? How should the spirit posession change that-did anyone learn the scripture afterwards? Maybe the sources you cited are at least not clear?

-please pray to God that he makes truth to us seen as truth and let us follow it and that we see lies as lies and abstain from it
                                -hopefully we will get to common stances
                                -we Muslims believe that Isa/Jesus/Mesiah will come again (and I think the final battle will be aginst ones who reject him), but until then, and hopefully after, we must cooperate in goodness and friendship, against dhulumat

-please continue doing good

-I know a lot of lawful good human Christians and few I know Jews (if you will inform you, many of first Muslims were Jews and Christians, maybe about half, maybe more or less), even altruistic too and I love too cooperate in common good-humanity (and best of manners towards every creature)

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X