Why is Islam Necessary?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why is Islam Necessary?

Since my birth, I have been a Christian. Through the years I have always been curious about Islam, as I lived in a largely Muslim community. Throughout my education I have been presented various aspects about the faith, but I feel as though the explanations did not give justice to the faith.

My question is, why did God give Muhammad a new revelation? I have heard from many Muslims that Muslims in general respect the Old Testament prophets. Granted, I have also heard that Biblical translations have been corrupted, which is a fairly accurate account (in terms of supporting inaccurate doctrines). Nonetheless, it seems as though the prophetic books are considered largely legitimate sources. I ask my question because the progression from earlier prophets to Muhammad does not seem right, or at least my understanding is off.

When one looks at the Old Testament prophets, one will notice a logical progression from the Old Testament to the New Testament covenants. In the past, man needed to offer a symbolic sacrifice of a lamb to God in order to become right in His eyes, receiving forgiveness (more or less). Christians believe that Jesus is the New Covenant, that we no longer need a sacrifice, but rather to believe in Him. In other words, we see a logical progression in forms of sin sacrifices. When the temple was no more around 70 AD, Jews lost the ability to offer said sacrifices; however, Jews/Gentiles that believed in Christ saw no need for the temple. In other words, Jesus is believed to have replaced the function of the temple. The Prophets and historical scholars seem to add legitimacy to this claim, the Prophets making allusions to Jesus and the secular historical scholars giving credit to Jesus' life's work. I have heard that Jesus is a mere teacher and not the Messiah/God, what is the support for this? Are there historical accounts/biblical books/other sources that would account for this, not necessarily the Quran (in order to avoid circularity in explanations)? If it is true that Jesus is not God, then why are the Islamic practices drastically different than the Jewish customs in terms of receiving forgiveness/righteousness, if the Prophets are legitimate? The forms of sacrifice are not the same, in terms of progression. If the Prophets are illegitimate, then how so? Now, let's just say that Jesus is who He said He was, why would we need a new covenant? Assuming that Jesus did not un-God Himself or that His spirit is no more, then why would we need a New Covenant to replace an already functioning one? We see that the sin sacrifices and Prophets allude to a New Covenant, Daniel to be specific, that is claimed to be everlasting and the desired outcome of God. In other words, what role does the Islamic covenant play that the Jesus-related covenant cannot?

Religious/theological discussions are what brings me great joy, the searching for truth. If you would also want to help explain more of the Islamic faith, I would enjoy that as well.

Re: Why is Islam Necessary?

Originally posted by WhyIslam9757 View Post
    Since my birth, I have been a Christian. Through the years I have always been curious about Islam, as I lived in a largely Muslim community. Throughout my education I have been presented various aspects about the faith, but I feel as though the explanations did not give justice to the faith.

My question is, why did God give Muhammad a new revelation? I have heard from many Muslims that Muslims in general respect the Old Testament prophets. Granted, I have also heard that Biblical translations have been corrupted, which is a fairly accurate account (in terms of supporting inaccurate doctrines). Nonetheless, it seems as though the prophetic books are considered largely legitimate sources. I ask my question because the progression from earlier prophets to Muhammad does not seem right, or at least my understanding is off.

When one looks at the Old Testament prophets, one will notice a logical progression from the Old Testament to the New Testament covenants. In the past, man needed to offer a symbolic sacrifice of a lamb to God in order to become right in His eyes, receiving forgiveness (more or less). Christians believe that Jesus is the New Covenant, that we no longer need a sacrifice, but rather to believe in Him. In other words, we see a logical progression in forms of sin sacrifices. When the temple was no more around 70 AD, Jews lost the ability to offer said sacrifices; however, Jews/Gentiles that believed in Christ saw no need for the temple. In other words, Jesus is believed to have replaced the function of the temple. The Prophets and historical scholars seem to add legitimacy to this claim, the Prophets making allusions to Jesus and the secular historical scholars giving credit to Jesus' life's work. I have heard that Jesus is a mere teacher and not the Messiah/God, what is the support for this? Are there historical accounts/biblical books/other sources that would account for this, not necessarily the Quran (in order to avoid circularity in explanations)? If it is true that Jesus is not God, then why are the Islamic practices drastically different than the Jewish customs in terms of receiving forgiveness/righteousness, if the Prophets are legitimate? The forms of sacrifice are not the same, in terms of progression. If the Prophets are illegitimate, then how so? Now, let's just say that Jesus is who He said He was, why would we need a new covenant? Assuming that Jesus did not un-God Himself or that His spirit is no more, then why would we need a New Covenant to replace an already functioning one? We see that the sin sacrifices and Prophets allude to a New Covenant, Daniel to be specific, that is claimed to be everlasting and the desired outcome of God. In other words, what role does the Islamic covenant play that the Jesus-related covenant cannot?

Religious/theological discussions are what brings me great joy, the searching for truth. If you would also want to help explain more of the Islamic faith, I would enjoy that as well.

Muhammad (Peace be upon him) was given a new revelation as the people of the earlier revelations had corrupted the earlier revelations.

To understand the Islamic viewpoint, you need to know that Allah sends Messengers and Prophets. A Messenger is also a prophet but not vice-versa. The general belief is that messengers are given new revelations whereas prophets revive the message of previous messengers. Messengers of Islam include Muhammad, Easa (Jesus), Dawud (David) and others, peace be upon them all. Therefore, each of them came with a different revelation.

What is important to note here is that, as per the Islamic belief, all of the prophets (including Jesus, David, Moses, Ishmael, Isaac, Abraham, Noah etc.) came with the same message, that of Monotheism. All of them worshipped the same God and called people towards worshipping Him. The only difference was that each Messenger came with a particular Sharia (Code of living). Jesus is one of the greatest among the messengers of Islam.

This is the Islamic point-of-view regarding the subject. If you wish to look into the Islamic perspective regarding the specifics of the scriptures, you should watch the videos of Shaykh Ahmed Deedat (May Allah grant him paradise), who studied the biblical events in great detail.
    To the people who feel obligated to reply to every single thread even if with a lol:
    Not every thread demands [one's] input, some are more advanced than [one's] thinking, so read and learn.
    Others are of subjects [one] has discussed many times before [so] just read them to see how others feel about a subject.
    - AbuM

Comment

May Allah help me in attempting to answer some of your observations.

My question is, why did God give Muhammad a new revelation? I have heard from many Muslims that Muslims in general respect the Old Testament prophets. Granted, I have also heard that Biblical translations have been corrupted, which is a fairly accurate account (in terms of supporting inaccurate doctrines). Nonetheless, it seems as though the prophetic books are considered largely legitimate sources.
      the fact that biblical translations have been corrupted is true but irrelevant. it is not the reason why Allah gave a new revelation. The new and final revelation was given because it was needed to complete the revelation of the prophets. All previous revelations were not complete i.e. they did not address all things in life for all times for all nations. They were specific things for a specific time to a specific nation. Hence why Allah did not need to preserve the previous revelations as they were not meant for 'All Time'. Prophet Mohammed (pbuh) revelation was complete for everyone and hence why Allah preserved it for all time. So there is now no need for any new revelation. So the other prophetic books are only legitimate if they concur with what is in the Quran. But we do not rely on them because there is no need, The final revelation addresses everything anyone needs to function in this world.

I have heard that Jesus is a mere teacher and not the Messiah/God, what is the support for this?
      To say God is my father is a biblical term that many prophets said. After all God is our creator so we are like his sons. Dont take it literally. Bible also has many verses that says Jesus is the prophet of Nazareth. and he is but a prophet. So why not accept these verses instead of turning him into a god. If you turn him into a god than you violate the first 4 commandments. which has been consistent with all the prophets. This is not consistent with what the other prophets taught us.

If it is true that Jesus is not God, then why are the Islamic practices drastically different than the Jewish customs in terms of receiving forgiveness/righteousness
      , if the Prophets are legitimate? The forms of sacrifice are not the same, in terms of progression.
      If the Prophets are illegitimate, then how so?
      Now, let's just say that Jesus is who He said He was, why would we need a new covenant?
      ....what role does the Islamic covenant play that the Jesus-related covenant cannot?
      The Jews have moved far away from what their Prophet Moses (pbuh) had taught them. prophet Jesus (pbuh) had came to re-establish those laws because the jews were not adhering to them. So Jesus (pbuh) did re-establish the sacrifices and he himself said in the bible that he has not come to bring any new laws or wipe any laws out. Hence it makes no sense that the act of sacrifice changed when Jesus came. Because how can he change the laws when he himself said he will not change the laws. but he said someone will come after him to change the laws and say things which he cannot say at this time. These things are in the bible too.

As far as I see it. Muslims follow and love Jesus way more than christians do. We follow the laws that he said he came to re-establish. These days christians do not follow any laws....i can hardly think of anything that they submit to. So their love of him seems to be 'lip service'. For example I have only met one christian in my life that will not drink alcohol or eat pig because that is what the religions asks them to do.
      If you are to worship someone than carry it out and follow their commandments. This is what Jesus wanted the Jews to do and they rejected him (apart from the good Samaritans). And now this is what Prophet Muhammed (pbuh) wants all of us to do. Follow the commandments of your creator...stop doing as you please in life.

Comment

I've heard the argument christians use about the supposed continuity of the sin offerings in the Old Testament and the blood atonement of Christ, but to me, it doesn't add up. Offerings were made not just for sin and even then, it's false to say that a lamb, of all animals had to be brought. Look in Leviticus chapter five; it mentions two turtledoves or two pigeons being offered as acceptable sacrifices if the sinner cannot afford to buy any livestock. The chapter [Leviticus 5] goes even further by saying that even a measure of flour can be given to the priest for a sin offering [verses 11-13]. Flour has no blood in it, so why could this be acceptable to God? because it's the guilt and acknowledgement of having sinned that is more important-- the offering is merely a symbol of one's faith [to give it to the priest] (see verses 3-5).

Moreover, read the book of Jonah. The people of Nineveh were forgiven upon repentence (i.e. without any blood sacrifice whatsoever). Can the practice of sin offering, as narrated in the Old Testament, seem consistent with the Christian teaching of one person making atonement with his life? sure, if you read the Old Testament with New Testament glasses, but to me, that represents a fundemental misreading of the OT.
        Last edited by drac16; 24-04-14, 05:00 AM. Reason: lots of typos. Yikes! =(
        "Wert thou to follow the common run of those on earth, they will lead thee away from the way of Allah. They follow nothing but conjecture: they do nothing but lie." (surah 6:116)

Comment

I think you may find these videos useful:
          All these videos are from Mufti Menk, he is a respected scholar of Islam and has a good sense of humour.

Concept of Godhood in Islam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tt2RySJ8jZE

What is Islam all about

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow5d54nwEfk

Misconceptions about Islam

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykTbe3_gBNs

Characteristics of a worshipper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reZz2L5M5kA

I hope you will find these beneficial in your pursuit to find the Truth.
          "Hide your good deeds (from the people) just like you hide your evil deeds."

Comment

Working...
          X