X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: How we can get through hardships and trials in our lives

Loss and grief is part of the test.

Loss and grief is part of the test. When a person encounters loss or grief, it actually a test, which Allah is putting us through. Allah says, " Be sure, We shall test you through fear and hunger, some loss in goods or lives or the fruits (of your toil) but glad tidings to those who patiently persevere." [Surah Baqarah, Chapter 2, Verse 155]

It is natural to feel sorrow over a loss, whether it be concerning wealth and possesion or losing a loved one. But Islam teaches muslims to remain steadfast at all times. When a hard time befalls him, or a grief overwhelms him, a muslim should turn his attention to Allah Subhanahu Wata'ala, and should pray and supplicate. And Allah will give him the strength to endure the loss and pain.

Islam teaches us to remain patient in the greatest of losses and not to greive unnecessesarily over what has been lost; as life in this world is temporary. Eveything is bound to an end one day.

Moreover, everything is predestined Allah has already written the "fate" of everyone, as Allah says in Surah Hadeed, " No calamity befalls on the earth or in yourselves but it is incribed in the Book of Decrees (Al Lauh ul Mahfooz) before We bring it into existance. Verily, that is easy for Allah. In order that you may not grieve at the things that you fail to get, nor rejoice over that which has been given to you. And Allah likes not prideful boasters. [Surah Al Hadeed, Verses 22-23]

A Muslim should never complain about a loss he faces; as everything in this world belongs to Allah, and whatever happens is due to Allah's decision and whatever Allah has decided is, for the benefit of the muslim, whether the benefit is in this world or the hereafter, or both, this too is Allah's decision.

May Allah make us steadfast through loss and Grief. Ameen
    10 steps to increase our imaan(faith)
    http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=192926
    Forty Good Deeds to do Everyday!
    http://www.ummah.com/forum/showthread.php?t=230798

Comment

Take refuge with Allah

Narrated Abu Huraira (Radi-Allahu 'anhu):

The Prophet (Sallallahu 'Alaihi Wa Sallam) said, "Take refuge with Allah
      from the difficulties of severe calamities, from having an evil end and a
      bad fate and from the malicious joy of your enemies."

Bukhari Vol. 8 : No. 613

Comment

Lessons Learned from the Story of Prophet Ayoub / Job (As)

Prophet Ayoub (Alaihi-salam – May be peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) was one of Allah’s very sincere worshippers. We find in his story many lessons that we can reflect upon to assess our relationship with Allah. This story especially should make us question whether all our sincerity and worship for Allah is dependent on His blessings on us.
        The following story was documented by Ibn Kathir.
        Prophet Ayoub (A) was Allah’s thankful, repentant, patient and steadfast worshipper. Allah the Almighty has praised Him in the Quran thus:

"Truly! We found him patient. How excellent a slave! Verily, he was ever oft-returning in repentance to Us" (Saad 38:44).

Ibn Kathir narrates that once Iblis (satan) heard an angel praising Ayoub (A) to other angels, extolling his noble character, patience and remembrance of Allah and describing him as “the best creature on earth today, and an excellent model for the worshippers of Allah.” The angel also added that Allah had blessed him with long life and plenty of riches, yet he was never haughty or selfish. His family, servants, the needy and the poor, all had a share in his good fortune. He bought slaves to set them free and made those who received his charity feel as if they were doing him a favor.

Overhearing all this, Iblis became annoyed and planned to tempt Ayoub (A) and lead him to disbelief. First, he tried to distract him from his prayers by whispering to him about the good things in life, but as a true believer, Ayoub would not let evil thoughts tempt him. Iblis, then tried to attribute ulterior motives to his constant glorification of Allah, projecting his worship as being motivated from greed to safeguard his wealth. Iblis thus said to Allah, "If You deprive him of his wealth You will find that he will no longer mention Your name and his praying will stop."

Allah told Iblis that Ayoub (A) was one of His most sincere devotees whose worship stemmed from his heart and had nothing to do with material gifts or favors granted to him. To prove His devotee’s depth of sincerity and patience, Allah allowed Iblis to do whatever he wished with Ayoub (A)’s wealth.

Delighted, Iblis gathered his helpers and set about destroying Ayoub (A)’s cattle, servants and farms, depriving him of all his possessions. Then in the guise of a wise old man he approached him and said:

"All your wealth is lost. Some people say that it is because you gave too much charity and that you are wasting your time with your continuous prayers to Allah. Others say that Allah has brought this upon you in order to please your enemies. If Allah had the capacity to prevent harm, then He would have protected your wealth."

Steadfast in his faith, Ayoub (A) replied: "What Allah has taken away from me belongs to Him. I was only its trustee for a while. He gives to whom He wills and withholds from whom He wills,” and he prostrated before his Lord.

Frustrated with his failure, Iblis again addressed Allah:

"I have stripped Ayoub (A) of all his possessions, but he still remains grateful to You. However, he is only hiding his disappointment, for he places great store by his many children. The real test of a parent is through his children. You will then see how Ayoub (A) will reject You."

Allah again granted Iblis authority, but warned him that it would reduce neither Ayoub (A)’s faith in his Lord nor his patience.

Iblis gathered his helpers and brought the house in which Ayoub (A)’s children were living, crashing down, killing all of them. Disguised as a man who had come to sympathize with him, he said:

"The circumstances under which your children died were sad. Surely, your Lord is not rewarding you properly for all your prayers."
        The faithful believer of Allah replied, disappointing Iblis once again:

"Allah sometimes gives and sometimes takes. He is sometimes pleased and sometimes displeased with our deeds. Whether a thing is beneficial or harmful to me, I will remain firm in my belief and remain thankful to my Creator."

Saying this he prostrated to his Lord. Extremely vexed, Iblis again called on Allah:

"O my Lord, Ayoub (A)’s wealth is gone and his children are dead, but he is still healthy in body, and as long as he enjoys good health he will continue to worship You in the hope of regaining his wealth and producing more children. Grant me authority over his body so that I may weaken it. He will surely stop worshipping You and will thus become disobedient."

Allah granted Iblis his third request but placed a condition:

"I give you authority over his body but not over his soul, intellect, or heart, for in these places reside the knowledge of Me and My religion."

Armed with this new authority, Iblis afflicted Ayoub (A)’s body with disease, reducing it to mere skin and bone. He suffered severe pain yet remained strong in faith, and patiently bore all the suffering without complaints. Hopeful of Allah’s Mercy, he neither despaired nor turned to others for help. Although he had lost all his children and was deprived of his wealth and physically afflicted, he still continued to glorify Allah the Almighty day and night. His disease lasted for a long time. His friends felt disgusted and his close relatives deserted him. The sole companion and comforter through many years of his suffering was his kind and loving wife.

Iblis became desperate. He consulted his helpers but they asked him:

"How is it that your cleverness cannot work against Ayoub (A), yet you succeeded in misleading Adam, the father of man, out of paradise?"

Iblis went to Ayoub (A)’s wife in the form of a man. "Where is your husband?" he asked her.

She pointed to an almost lifeless form crumpled on the bed and said: "There he is, suspended between life and death."

Iblis reminded her of the days when he had enjoyed good health, wealth and children. The painful memory of years of hardship overwhelmed her. She burst into tears and asked her husband:

"How long are you going to bear this torture from our Lord? Are we to remain without wealth, children or friends forever? Why don’t you call upon Allah to remove this suffering?"

Ayoub (A) sighed, and replied softly:

"Iblis must have whispered to you and made you dissatisfied. Tell me, how long did I enjoy good health and riches?"

She replied, "For eighty years."

Then he asked, "How long have I been suffering like this?"

She said, "Seven years."

Then he told her: "In that case I am ashamed to call on my Lord to remove the hardship, for I have not suffered longer than the years of good health and plenty that I enjoyed. Your faith seems to have weakened and you are dissatisfied with the fate decreed by Allah. If I ever regain health, I swear I will punish you with a hundred strokes! From this day, I shall not eat or drink anything from your hand. Leave me alone and let my Lord do with me as He pleases."
        Crying bitterly, with no other choice, she left with a heavy heart. In his helpless state, Ayoub (A) turned to Allah, not to complain but to seek His mercy:

"And (remember) Ayyub (Job), when he cried to his Lord: ‘Verily, distress has seized me, and You are the Most Merciful of all those who show mercy.’ So We answered his call, and We removed the distress that was on him, and We restored his family to him (that he had lost) and the like thereof along with them as a mercy from Ourselves and a Reminder for all those who worship Us” (Al-Anbiya 21:83-84).
        Almighty Allah further says in the Quran:

"And remember Our slave Ayyub (Job), when he invoked his Lord (saying): ‘Verily Shaitan (Satan) has touched me with distress (by ruining my health) and torment (by ruining my wealth)!’ (Allah said to him): "Strike the ground with your foot: This is (a spring of) water to wash in, and a cool and (refreshing) drink." And We gave him (back) his family, and along with them the like thereof, as a Mercy from Us, and a Reminder for those who understand (Sad 38:41-43).

Ayoub (A) obeyed Allah’s instructions, and almost immediately his good health was restored. Meanwhile, his faithful wife who could no longer bear to be parted from her husband returned to beg his forgiveness, and to serve him. On entering the house, she was amazed at the sudden change she saw. Ayoub (A) had regained his health! She embraced him and thanked Allah for His mercy.

Ayoub (A) was now worried about the oath he had taken to punish her with a hundred strokes if he regained health. He did not wish to hurt her but could not break a promise to Allah. Therefore, Allah in His wisdom and mercy, came to the assistance of His faithful servant, and instructed him:

"And take in your hand a bundle of thin grass and strike therewith (your wife), and break not your oath" (Sad 38:44).
        Thus Allah the Most Merciful rewards His faithful and grateful servants.

Source: Ibn Kathir
        This story should remind us that we should never make our worship and sincerity toward Allah contingent on our perceived blessings. Allah tests us in many ways and we should, therefore, be steadfast in His worship constantly.

Source: http://www.iqrasense.com/islamic-his...oub-job-a.html

Comment

The similtude of a believer when trials and calamities disturb him

Narrated Abu Huraira (Radi-Allahu 'anhu):

Allah's Apostle (Sallallahu 'Alaihi Wa Sallam) said, "The example of a
          believer is that of a fresh green plant the leaves of which move in
          whatever direction the wind forces them to move, and when the wind becomes
          still, it stands straight. Such is the similitude of the believer: He is
          disturbed by calamities (but like the fresh plant he regains his normal
          state soon). And the example of a disbeliever is that of a pine tree (which
          remains) hard and straight till Allah cuts it down when He wills."

Bukhari Vol. 9 : No. 558

Comment

From patience comes victory!

When you are going through something very hard and you start wondering where Allah is, then just remember, the teacher is always quite during a test - Nouman Ali Khan

Therefore let us realise that Almighty Allah knows everything that what we are going through and the pain and anguish that we are feeling but he is quite for a while in order to see how we will react. Will we be patient and remain patient for his pleasure and get closer to him or will we become restless and impatient and go further away from him.

Know that Allah is with those who are patient though they may not know it. Therefore we must fully trust and rely on him and know that after much patience will certainly come victory for this is the promise of Allah and Allah ALWAYS keeps his promises!

Comment

Never lose hope in Allah

by Abu Muhammad Yusuf

The journey of life can be like a roller coaster. We often experience extreme conditions which create despondency and hopelessness. The Messenger of Allah (peace be upon him) is reported to have said: “Verily, if Allah loves a people, He makes them go through trials. Whoever is satisfied, for him is contentment, and whoever is angry upon him is wrath.” (Hadith-Tirmidhi)

We have to try hard to embrace the struggles of life and Trust in Allah. There’s no development without pain. Life’s difficulties are necessary for our own development, so when they come along, accept them, embrace them and never ever lose hope and always place complete Reliance and Trust in Allah. Problems are to the mind what exercise is to the muscles; they toughen and make you strong.

The only survivor of a shipwreck was washed up on a small, uninhabited island. He prayed feverishly for Allah to rescue him, and every day he scanned the horizon for help, but none seemed forthcoming. He nevertheless remained hopeful of Allah’s help and continued his praying every day.

Exhausted, he eventually managed to build a little hut out of driftwood to protect him from the elements and to store his few possessions. But then one day, after scavenging for food, he arrived home to find his little hut in flames, the smoke rolling up to the sky.

The “worst” had happened; everything was lost. He was stunned with grief. “Allah, how could this happen to me!” he cried. Early the next day, just before Fajr Salaah (early morning prayer) he was awakened by the sound of a ship that was approaching the island. It had come to rescue him. “How did you know I was here?” the man asked the sailors on the ship. “We saw your smoke signal,” they replied.

Allah says “…Bear with patience whatever befalls you….” (Qur’an 31:17) and “Be not sad, surely Allah is with us.” (Qur’an 9:40)

It is easy to get discouraged when things are going badly. But we shouldn’t lose heart, because Allah is at work in our lives, even in the midst of pain and suffering. Allah Ta’ala says “Verily, with hardship there is relief” (Qur’an 94:6) and “And whosoever puts his trust in Allah, then He will suffice him”. ( Qur’an 65:3)

Remember, next time your little hut is burning to the ground–it just may be a smoke signal that summons The Grace and help of Allah!

Source: http://muslimvillage.com/2012/10/25/...ign=newsletter 25th Oct 2012

Comment

:jkk: for this

but, how do you know the difference between hardship, trial, tribulation with punishment?

Comment

Why Me? The Quran answers!

by Abu Mohammed

WE ALWAYS ASK : WHY WAS I TESTED ?

AL-QURAN ANSWERS:

“Do men think that they will be left alone on saying, “We believe”, and that they will not be tested? We did test those before them, and Allah will certainly know those who are true from those who are false.”Surah Al-Ankabut (29:2-3)

WE ALWAYS ASK : WHY I NEVER GET WHAT I WANT ?

AL-QURAN ANSWERS:

“It is possible that ye dislike a thing which is good for you, and that ye love a thing which is bad for you. But Allah knoweth, and ye know not.”
                  Surah Al-Baqarah (2:216)

WE ALWAYS ASK : WHY WAS I BURDENED THIS WAY ?

AL-QURAN ANSWERS:

On no soul doth Allah Place a burden greater than it can bear. It gets every good that it earns, and it suffers every ill that it earns.”

Surah Al-Baqarah (2:286)

“So, verily, with every difficulty, there is relief: (repeated) Verily, with every difficulty there is relief.”

Surah Al-Insyirah (94:5-6)

WE ASK : WHY AM I LOSING HOPE ?

AL-QURAN ANSWERS:

“So lose not heart, nor fall into despair: For ye must gain mastery if ye are true in Faith.”
                  Surah Al-Imran (3:139)

WE ALWAYS ASK : HOW CAN I FACE IT ?

AL-QURAN ANSWERS:

“O ye who believe! Persevere in patience and constancy; vie in such perseverance; strengthen each other; and fear Allah. that ye may prosper.”
                  Surah Al-Imraan (3:200)

“Nay, seek (Allah’s) help with patient perseverance and prayer: It is indeed hard, except to those who bring a lowly spirit.” Surah Al-Baqarah ayat (2:45)

WE ALWAYS ASK : WHAT DO I GET FROM ALL THESE ?

AL-QURAN ANSWERS:

“Allah hath purchased of the believers their persons and their goods; for theirs (in return) is the garden (of Paradise)…” Surah At-Taubah (9:111)

WE ALWAYS ASK : TO WHOM COULD I DEPEND ?

AL-QURAN ANSWERS:

“(Allah) sufficeth me: there is no god but He: On Him is my trust,- He the Lord of the Throne (of Glory) Supreme.” Surah At-Taubah (9:129

WE ALWAYS ASK : I CAN’T TAKE IT ANYMORE !

AL-QURAN ANSWERS :

“…and never give up hope of Allah’s Soothing Mercy; truly No one despairs of Allah’s Soothing Mercy, except Those who have no faith.” Surah Yusuf (9:87)

“Despair not of the Mercy of Allah: for Allah forgives All sins for He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Merciful.”Surah A-Zumar (39:53)

Source: muftisays.com

Comment

Get through hard times with patience:

http://youtu.be/HKTFSpLE15c

Comment

10 TIPS ON HOW TO FIGHT DEPRESSION & SADNESS

Feeling down in the dumps, depressed, having the blues? These are just some of the terms used to describe a feeling of hopelessness and despair that can hit even the most optimistic of us at some point in our lives. While clinical depression requires proper professional treatment, the occasional feeling of sadness due to factors ranging from marital issues, economic difficulty to harassment and discrimination can be helped through some simple spiritual practices. Here is a couple that can help:

1. Look at those below you

Abu Huraira (Radhi Allah ‘Anhu) reported that Allah’s Messenger (may peace be upon him) said:
                      “When one of you looks at one who stands at a higher level than you in regard to wealth and physical structure (face or figure) he should also see one who stands at a lower level than you in regard to these things (in which he stands) at a higher level (as compared to him).” [Sahih Muslim: Book 42 "Kitab Al-Zuhd wa Al-Raqa'iq", Number 7068]

If you are reading this article online, consider this: you are one of the lucky set of human beings on the planet who can afford a computer and internet connection or at least have access to one. The United Nations Development Program’s Human Development Report notes that there are still around 1 billion people living worldwide at the margins of survival on less than $1 a day, with 2.6 billion living on less than $2 a day. Also consider that in the Qur’ān (14:7), Allāh says that if you are thankful to Him for what you have, He blesses you with more.

2. Serve your fellow human beings

One of the best ways by which to thank Allāh is to serve humanity, especially those who have less than you. Serving others is uplifting and rewarding. It helps us gain a better perspective on life’s challenges, making us realize how very often, our problems seem so small compared to the awesome difficulties others face. That’s why when the Prophet Muhammad, peace and blessings be upon him, and the Muslims were a small, poor and persecuted community, they used to give to the poor even more. They understood that when you are generous when you have less, you achieve the perspective of a winner. You focus on the bigger picture.

3. Read Surāh Adh-Dhuhaa

According to one report, after the Prophet had begun receiving revelation from God, at one point a long period of time passed with no such communication from Allāh. As a result, the Makkans ridiculed the Prophet. That’s when this chapter was revealed (Qur’ān 93: 1-11). The chapter is a beautiful reminder to us to see life in the greater scheme of things, to be grateful for what we have and to never give up striving for what is right. This chapter of the Quran can be considered a direct recipe from God for depression.

4. Turn to Allāh in all situations

Remember that nothing can harm you without the consent of Allāh, the Most High. While you must take care of yourself, rely on Allāh and know that He is always with you and only He can give you strength in this difficult time. Dear believer, remember that He will help you and that you can come out of this trying situation as a better person if you deal with it positively.

5. Remember Allāh’s Names

Allāh has many beautiful Names which describe His Attributes and Powers. These are reminders of His Love, Mercy, Forgiveness, Justice, Strength and much, much more. Supplicating to Allāh using these Names reminds us that Allāh has these attributes more than any other being and that we can and must rely on Him during good and bad times.

6. Say ‘Hasbun Allāhu wa Ni’mal Wakeel’

This has been translated as “God suffices me and He is the best Guardian.” It is an excellent way of reminding us that whatever worries we have or problems we face, Allāh has the answer and cure to all of them and is the only One who can really do what is best for us.

7. Make sure that when you leave home…

…you read the following Duā (supplication),"Bismillāhi tawakkaltu ‘alaAllāhi wa lā hawlā wa lā quwwatā illā billāh!”

(In the name of Allāh, I place my trust in Allāh, and there is neither might nor power except with Allāh.)

8. Take your spiritual break from the world

Offer your Salāh five times a day. Take a break away from your busy schedule and endless life activities by spending a few minutes to remember Allāh, the Almighty. This will help you reconnect with the Creator of the Universe, fortify your soul and strengthen your resolve to live a better life that is in tune with your faith and principles.

9. End your day on a good note

Shakespeare once wrote a play entitled “All’s well that ends well.” That’s good advice for dealing with depression too. End a day that may have been riddled with challenges and frustrations by making Wudhoo (ablution) before going to bed, thinking of Allāh and the Prophet (peace be upon him) and by counting and consciously realizing the many countless blessings you have.

10. Stop Shaytān in his tracks

Shaytān is the source of many of our negative emotions. It’s his job to make us feel pessimistic and to despair of any good in our lives. When you feel these feelings coming on, stop him dead in his tracks. Recite the following Du’ā before reciting the Qur’ān Kareem:

“A’udhu billāhi minash-Shaitānir-Rajīm.” (I seek refuge in Allāh from the accursed Shaytān).

Also recite the last two Surāhs of the Qur’ān called Al Mu’awwazatain (Surāh Al-Falaq and Surāh An-Nās).

In this way, Allāh willing, you shall begin to see a significant change in your life.

Compiled, edited and adapted by Khalid Latif. www.thekhalids.org.

And Allāh Ta’ala Knows Best.

Comment

:jkk:
                        ‘If only I had done such-and-such, then such-and-such would have happened.’ Rather you should say, ‘Qaddara Allah wa ma sha a fa’ala (Allah decrees, and what He wills He does),’ for (the words) ‘If only’ open the door to the Shaytan.” (Narrated by Muslim).

Comment

7 Things to do in times of hardships:

http://productivemuslim.com/7-things...s-of-hardship/

Comment

JhazakaAllah Khair for posting. InshaAllah many of us will benefit.

Comment

Our Trials and Tribulations:

http://www.a2youth.com/articles/copi..._tribulations/

Comment

Du’a: Trials Bring Us Closer to Allah

The Prophet, peace and blessings of Allah be upon him, said:

“The greatness of reward is based on the severity of the trial. And if Allah loves a person, He tests him, so whoever is pleased (with Allah), then he will have the pleasure (of Allah), but whoever is angry, then he will receive the Anger (of Allah).” (Recorded in al-Tirmidhi)

So the fact that our Du’a is not responded to is a trial from Allah, and this should make us optimistic that they we from amongst those that Allah loves. Such a test should therefore make us increase in patience and draw closer to Allah.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                x
                                Working...
                                X