Battling Religious OCD and feel very low/depressed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battling Religious OCD and feel very low/depressed

I have been having religious OCD and it is ruining my salat, wudu, tahara, and life. I doubt everything...everything.
    I doubt being clean after using the bathroom, go to extremes to clean myself, cannot use public restrooms, cannot help children potty in public restrooms, doubt every step of wudu, doubt my intention during salat and wudu, have terrible blasphemous thoughts and think intrusive curses against Allah against my will (astaghfirullah) during wudu and salat. Doubt strands of my hair is showing during salat and keep on rechecking, doubt my intention and say it out loud many many times before salat and keep repeating intention because it doesn't feel right or I fear it was said in an offesive way, doubt I said Allahu akbar correctly, doubt my hands are exposed during takbeer, doubt my feet are exposed, doubt i said surah alfatiha correctly, or altahiyyat, or even if I did sujood or ruku. I now wear socks all day until I complete my prayers, so I can lessen the time during wudu and so i stop doubting my feet got exposed during salat, I also now wear clothes designated for wudu for which I am sure that they are pure. I also keep on adjusting prayer rug because of doubting qiblah, I adjust my feet until I feel they are aligned right, adjust my hands. It is pure torture. If any of these steps is wrong in my eyes, I repeat the whole prayer. It takes me between an hour to three hours to complete a salat.

I try ignoring the terrible thoughts and doubts, but fail all the time.
    I also experience excessive gas because of this and get diarrhea the whole day until I complete salat al-isha. Therefore, I am always doubting the passing of gas or incontinence after making wudu and during the day.
    Life lost its meaning because of this. I am always crying and feel doomed forever.
    I also cannot eat between dhuhr and isha because I start getting diarrhea. So, I eat in the morning and at night only. 

Has anyone experienced this type of OCD and how do you cope? How do you take away the anxiety? What worked for you? What helped you ignore? How did you do recovery? What helped and how did you recover? Any help is sadaqa jariya and it will help me and others suffering.
    Please do not say anything offensive or hurtful as I'm in a very depressive state and it can damage me even further.
    Thank you very much.
    Last edited by simms83; 06-10-19, 06:24 AM.

Asalam alakum,

believe it or not this type of thing happens all the time. You can probably find dozens of threads about this very issue on this sight. It’s called waswas. Shaytan is filling you with doubt to try to pull you away from the straight path.

I had pretty much the same issues and I still do to a degree. I would read Islamqa article that would tell me to just ignore it and assume that everything is fine, even if it isn’t. I know that that is not an easy thing to do when you have so many doubts, but you have to just ignore it. Assume that you did everything correctly even if in your head you are certain that you did something wrong, just ignore it.

Allah doesn’t intend for this religion to be difficult. You wont feel any relief until you just ignore it. Meanwhile you should listen to the Quran and read up on this matter. Educate yourself on these types of things, I wasn’t convinced until i read that i should just ignore it from reputable places.

And i know its going to be absolute torture just letting things be but eventually it will get easier. Even i still go through phases where i let it bother me but i always remember that ignoring it is the right thing to do. And that is what Allah would want me to do.

I hope it all works out for you.

Comment

Originally posted by simms83 View Post
      I have been having religious OCD and it is ruining my salat, wudu, tahara, and life. I doubt everything...everything.
      I doubt being clean after using the bathroom, go to extremes to clean myself, cannot use public restrooms, cannot help children potty in public restrooms, doubt every step of wudu, doubt my

Has anyone experienced this type of OCD and how do you cope? How do you take away the anxiety? What worked for you? What helped you ignore? How did you do recovery? What helped and how did you recover? Any help is sadaqa jariya and it will help me and others suffering.
      Please do not say anything offensive or hurtful as I'm in a very depressive state and it can damage me even further.
      Thank you very much.
      thers another threadt that was posted about OCD similar to this

yet is this you first thread and your only account?

I find it very strange that this thread is similar to another thread.........

Comment

I know what you mean. You have to just ignore it. If you don't ignore it then it'll become more and more.

Comment

Read surah falaq and nas 21 times each and then blow into water and drink it. It will hopefully ease some of the excessive waswasa you have.
          وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by aelmo View Post
            Asalam alakum,

believe it or not this type of thing happens all the time. You can probably find dozens of threads about this very issue on this sight. It’s called waswas. Shaytan is filling you with doubt to try to pull you away from the straight path.

I had pretty much the same issues and I still do to a degree. I would read Islamqa article that would tell me to just ignore it and assume that everything is fine, even if it isn’t. I know that that is not an easy thing to do when you have so many doubts, but you have to just ignore it. Assume that you did everything correctly even if in your head you are certain that you did something wrong, just ignore it.

Allah doesn’t intend for this religion to be difficult. You wont feel any relief until you just ignore it. Meanwhile you should listen to the Quran and read up on this matter. Educate yourself on these types of things, I wasn’t convinced until i read that i should just ignore it from reputable places.

And i know its going to be absolute torture just letting things be but eventually it will get easier. Even i still go through phases where i let it bother me but i always remember that ignoring it is the right thing to do. And that is what Allah would want me to do.

I hope it all works out for you.
            Thank you very much. This is very helpful. It helps when someone can relate.
            Do you know of any support groups for this type of OCD in Muslims?
            I try to ignore, but am extremely afraid, especially in matters of tahara.

Comment

Originally posted by naom View Post

thers another threadt that was posted about OCD similar to this

yet is this you first thread and your only account?

I find it very strange that this thread is similar to another thread.........
              No, this is my first post about OCD. I did not know it is common, especially in both tahara and worship and in the detailed way I get it in every aspect of worship. Can you send me the link to that post? Maybe the answers there can help me, too. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Medic View Post
                I know what you mean. You have to just ignore it. If you don't ignore it then it'll become more and more.
                I wish I could. I already made it more and more and people around me are noticing that it is increasing. It is extremely hard to ignore, especially relating ot tahara when I never feel clean enough for prayer and wudu.

Comment

Originally posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post
                  Read surah falaq and nas 21 times each and then blow into water and drink it. It will hopefully ease some of the excessive waswasa you have.
                  Thank you very much. I do this and also make lots of thikr before prayer and ask refuge from the shaytan. Unfortunately, it is OCD. So it is more than just shaytan's waswas. I still get all the terrible thoughts and doubts no matter what I try.

Comment

Thank you very much. This is very helpful. It helps when someone can relate.
                    Do you know of any support groups for this type of OCD in Muslims?
                    I try to ignore, but am extremely afraid, especially in matters of tahara.
                    Yeah it’s always nice to know your not alone. I don’t know if there are any groups like that. I only knew that other people could be like this when I joined this forum.

I know it’s hard but you can do this!

Comment

Thank you very much. I do this and also make lots of thikr before prayer and ask refuge from the shaytan. Unfortunately, it is OCD. So it is more than just shaytan's waswas. I still get all the terrible thoughts and doubts no matter what I try.
                      I think it would be wise to seek some sort of counselling for this sis, if its OCD. Have you tried? Try this organization if you don't mind paying for counselling services, they are an Islamic counselling organization and would be better equipped to deal with salat and wudu related anxiety:

https://www.sakoon.co.uk/services/in...l-counselling/
                      وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Comment

Originally posted by aelmo View Post

Yeah it’s always nice to know your not alone. I don’t know if there are any groups like that. I only knew that other people could be like this when I joined this forum.

I know it’s hard but you can do this!
                        Thank you! Allah bless you.

Comment

Originally posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post

I think it would be wise to seek some sort of counselling for this sis, if its OCD. Have you tried? Try this organization if you don't mind paying for counselling services, they are an Islamic counselling organization and would be better equipped to deal with salat and wudu related anxiety:

https://www.sakoon.co.uk/services/in...l-counselling/

I am still hesitant to seek counseling because of the financial burden and most importantly because I do not want to take medication for it.
                          But I will keep this info, just in case. Thank you so much, sis! Do they work with patients outside of the UK?

Comment

I am still hesitant to seek counseling because of the financial burden and most importantly because I do not want to take medication for it.
                            But I will keep this info, just in case. Thank you so much, sis! Do they work with patients outside of the UK?
                            possibly, due to them doing counselling over skype

Comment

Sister, read the book "Combating the Whisperings of Shaytaan".

it will be helpful.

You can download it for free from here:

http://yunuspatel.co.za/books-whisperingsofshaitaan.php

Comment

Working...
                              X