Going to mosque for the first time as a white revert

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to mosque for the first time as a white revert

So, I live in the UK and I haven't been to a mosque yet, I've considered visiting one but most of them are in areas with lots of Pakistanis in them and I feel that if I go to a mosque I'd feel out of place, especially because I'm only a teenager and I'm worried I'll be treated differently. Should I really worry or am I fine?

Assalaamu alaikum!

Sis who helped you to convert or did you do it alone? Just to know if they could refer you to a mosque with mixed heritage or more younger people.

Any Muslim girls in your school who you could befriend and come with you to mosque or help you find a mosque?

وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I donít blame you at all but like the above poster said!

Comment

Originally posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post
        Assalaamu alaikum!

Sis who helped you to convert or did you do it alone? Just to know if they could refer you to a mosque with mixed heritage or more younger people.

Any Muslim girls in your school who you could befriend and come with you to mosque or help you find a mosque?

¬*
        I'm a brother just so you know.
        I converted alone.
        I don't go to school right now, I'm currently homeschooled however my family is working to get me back into regular school.
        Also I had this idea where I saw a stand while shopping where some Muslims were reciting the Quran, probably dawah. Do you think it would be a good idea to talk to them? Because if they're converting people they could help me.

Comment

Actually, no one would raise an eyebrow. Going to a mosque is something Muslims do daily. Nothing strange at all for a teenager to be at mosque. Nobody gets alert about a stranger in a mosque since that is normal.

"And behold! ye come to us bare and alone as We created you for the first time: ye have left behind you all which We bestowed on you..." - Al-An'am:94

Comment

Originally posted by esheichoh View Post
            Also I had this idea where I saw a stand while shopping where some Muslims were reciting the Quran, probably dawah. Do you think it would be a good idea to talk to them? Because if they're converting people they could help me.
            Nothing wrong with it. But it is better to consult a masjid Imam if it is a religious matter.

"And behold! ye come to us bare and alone as We created you for the first time: ye have left behind you all which We bestowed on you..." - Al-An'am:94

Comment

So, I live in the UK and I haven't been to a mosque yet, I've considered visiting one but most of them are in areas with lots of Pakistanis in them and I feel that if I go to a mosque I'd feel out of place, especially because I'm only a teenager and I'm worried I'll be treated differently. Should I really worry or am I fine?
              You should be fine Insha Allah. Whilst the mosque may be in an area with lots of Pakistanis, I can guarantee that not every worshipper will be a Pakistani & you will come across people from different nationalities. Being a young white revert, you may even get treated like royalty..
              https://islamicgemsandpearls.wordpress.com

Comment

You might get one or two extra looks at first and a few extra handshakes if it's a small community mosque, but nothing at all to worry about, inshaa'Allah. A lot of mosques are unfortunately not very active with programs, classes, etc, and it's just people going there for prayers and minding their own business.
                like the brother said, mosques have 'strangers' in and out all the time with people needing to offer their prayers throughout the day.

Might be a good idea to speak to those people doing da'wah as well... Could I ask where in the UK this is?
                LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAAH
                -------------------------------------

​​​​​NOTE: Please kindly avoid 'liking' my posts (Jazaa'akumullah khair)

Comment

I'm a brother just so you know.
                  I converted alone.
                  I don't go to school right now, I'm currently homeschooled however my family is working to get me back into regular school.
                  Please do approach these brothers, if they are there for dawah then they are most likely well equipped to help reverts, especially with your situation now.
                  وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Originally posted by Fakhri-bin-Ali View Post

You might get one or two extra looks at first and a few extra handshakes if it's a small community mosque, but nothing at all to worry about, inshaa'Allah. A lot of mosques are unfortunately not very active with programs, classes, etc, and it's just people going there for prayers and minding their own business.
                    like the brother said, mosques have 'strangers' in and out all the time with people needing to offer their prayers throughout the day.

Might be a good idea to speak to those people doing da'wah as well... Could I ask where in the UK this is?
                    Birmingham.

Comment

I am sure that you will be made to feel very at home if you visit your local mosque in sha'Allah. It will give you a great opportunity to meet other sisters and to find out about things like study circles and Qur'an classes.
                      Allah is so Great and Merciful that although we continue to disobey Him, He still awaits for our repentance so that He may forgive us.

Comment

no one will say a word to you,they will be happy to see you.
                        NO RACISM

Comment

Working...
                        X