Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conviction in Duas?

Assalam-o-Alikum,

I just wanted to ask if there really is a point in making duas when you don't believe that they will come true? I'm not taking about prayers - i know those are compulsory - but making duas and nafl prayers for something that you genuinely believe won't come true. I've been trying so hard and nothing is working out and I know for a fact that no one can help me except for Allah. But I'm so exhausted of praying for things that just seem to come naturally and easily for everyone around me while I keep struggling. Sometimes, just when it feels like everything might work out something goes wrong and I feel like things won't ever go right. I feel like I'm being punished for a sin, or hurting someone, or maybe its just not decreed for me so I should give up on this and move on with my life. At times I think I'm asking too much from Allah, but I look at all the open sinners around me and they have everything I'm asking for without asking. I feel at this point my prayers won't be answered and I'm just performing lip service without any conviction that they will be answered. I just wanted to know - if I don't have conviction, is there a point to the extra prayers?

That is what I am going through now.

I mean it feels hopeless that I can get a 2.1 for my degree (like an equivalent of a B grade overall). I'm not bad academically, but so many trials happen to me when I want to write a coursework thats a part of my final grade or during my exam times.

I think Allah is teaching us tawakkul. I think ur in a fantastic position now cos you are being tested by Allah himself, not with ease like everyone else but with hardship.

This means that Allah wants you to reflect on how he provides for everyone and everything, everything we have.

Also people with hardship have a greater reward than people with ease in this life and the next. So passing this trial might mean great things can happen to you.

Check Surah Yusuf. Also this happened to my friend.

Yet your position seems like its impossible to reach your goals. But you can purify your heart, not just by knowing that He is capable of giving you food and necessary items, but things that you need for this life which are important but are not everyday things.¬*

Did Allah not split the sea for Moses, did He not answer the calls of Jonah in the whale? See the slight difference in the help given to these Prophets. Moses had a whole sea split in front of him, that never happens.

While Jonah was spit out from the whale into the shore of the ocean and a plant grew over him, which sounds less stupendous than the sea splitting, but it shows how Allah is capable of ALL things for everyone.

With that in mind sis, make your dua. Reflect on the ayats in the Qur'an that talk about Allah creating and sustaining the worlds, and the verses about miracles. Surah Mulk for the former and Surah Taha and/or Yusuf for the latter imo
    Last edited by LailaTheMuslim; 10-07-19, 10:49 AM.
    وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

It can be hard to carry on making dua when it feels like it won't be answered.

It's disheartening and it does make one wonder what sin was committed that their dua has not come into reality after so long.

What is it that others are doing that Allah is blessing them with a good spouse, excellent grades, a well paid job, good health or anything really that they ask for. These are just the common examples, it doesn't have to be those things we are asking for, could be something entirely different.

I think if that was me, for the time being, I would stop the nafl and start learning more about Allah and the power of dua. First we should seek forgiveness, praise Allah and remind ourselves that we are here to worship him alone. 

Then believe that he is listening to our duas  and that it will be answered in ways we can't imagine. Not how we expect it to come about. 

Every dua is listened to. Take your time and ask yourself why you are making those duas. 

We are in an environment where we are almost brainwashed to want things instantly. Without trying and waiting.

Some people do get they want without trying, others that try have to work harder so you are not alone.

It's upsetting but dont lose hope. Prophet Ibrahamis AS was blessed with a son in old age, his wife Sarah was old and they didn't expect to be gifted at that time, that was the Mercy of Allah.

i do feel your despair but sometimes we need a break and refresh our feelings towards Allah and ask him to help us to please him and for him to forgive us.

Also, it helps to look at others who for example ask for something, they receive it but they are tested with it. For example, a bad spouse and then that marriage eithet ends or that person who asked for that marriage suffers in silence by remaining in that marriage.

Avoid comparing other people, this is how we get distracted and start doubting.

Form your relationship with Allah as his servant first and remidn yourself this is our master that we are asking for things that is in his knowledge and power.

Keep making duas and gradually start praying the nafl once you feel better connected. 

'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Please please please read this book https://www.kalamullah.com/Books/Dua...20Believer.pdf itís excellent and has a section directly related to the question that youíre asking.

Sister, amongst the etiquette of making dua is that you should expect the best from Allah and expect a response.

Allah says, ďAnd when my servants ask you concerning me then (answer them) I Am indeed near to them. I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on meĒ (2:186)

Allah is as you think of Him. You need to have positive thoughts of Allah & ask Him Jalla wa aala with sincerity & conviction . Please read the book above as itís a beautiful book and you will benefit a lot Insha allah
        Last edited by Layla_; 10-07-19, 11:17 PM.
        https://islamicgemsandpearls.wordpress.com

Comment

We are slaves and our Master is Allah. We have to serve him (worship him) thats the reason we are here in this dunya.

Allah SWT said:

وَمَا خَلَقْتُ الْجِنَّ وَالْإِنْسَ إِلَّا لِيَعْبُدُونِ
          "And I did not create the jinn and mankind except to worship Me."
          (QS. Adh-Dhaariyat 51: Verse 56)

This life is temporary and the final abode is paradise or hell. We struggle here and persevere through this life as believers to please Allah and enter jannah. How can we as slaves expect our dua to be answered just like that when we are mere sinners. The best of men the prophets had some of their duas answered after decades. How can we be feeling down then if the best of men had to have patience.

SAllah SWT said:

أَمْ حَسِبْتُمْ أَنْ تَدْخُلُوا الْجَنَّةَ وَلَمَّا يَأْتِكُمْ مَّثَلُ الَّذِينَ خَلَوْا مِنْ قَبْلِكُم  ۖ مَّسَّتْهُمُ الْبَأْسَآءُ وَالضَّرَّآءُ وَزُلْزِلُوا حَتّٰى يَقُولَ الرَّسُولُ وَالَّذِينَ ءَامَنُوا مَعَهُۥ مَتٰى نَصْرُ اللَّهِ  ۗ أَلَآ إِنَّ نَصْرَ اللَّهِ قَرِيبٌ
          "Or do you think that you will enter Paradise while such [trial] has not yet come to you as came to those who passed on before you? They were touched by poverty and hardship and were shaken until [even their] messenger and those who believed with him said, When is the help of Allah? Unquestionably, the help of Allah is near."
          (QS. Al-Baqara 2: Verse 214)

Second of all we sin so much we disobey Allah we dont praise him , we dont praise Muhammed صلي الله عليه وسلم and we dont make enough duaa for others so how can we expect out duaa to get answered so easily. We have to have patience. Sometimes Allah is testing us by bringing us to the brink of complete loss to see how much we go towards Him and beg him and rely on him. As thats what Allah wants He wants you to worship Him, He wants you to lift your hands and make duaa always.

​Allah SWT said:

وَمَآ أَرْسَلْنَا فِى قَرْيَةٍ مِّنْ نَّبِىٍّ إِلَّآ أَخَذْنَآ أَهْلَهَا بِالْبَأْسَآءِ وَالضَّرَّآءِ لَعَلَّهُمْ يَضَّرَّعُونَ
          "And We sent to no city a prophet [who was denied] except that We seized its people with poverty and hardship that they might humble themselves [to Allah]."
          (QS. Al-A'raaf 7: Verse 94

​​​​​​But when you do you have to have firm conviction that he will answer your duaa. But when you make duaa you have to believe he will answer it and even if He doesnt give what you wisj know that Allah is the best of planners and knows whats best for you so maybe He will gice you something better later in this life or akhira.

but know that Allah said

وَإِذَا سَأَلَكَ عِبَادِى عَنِّى فَإِنِّى قَرِيبٌ  ۖ أُجِيبُ دَعْوَةَ الدَّاعِ إِذَا دَعَانِ  ۖ فَلْيَسْتَجِيبُوا لِى وَلْيُؤْمِنُوا بِى لَعَلَّهُمْ يَرْشُدُونَ
          "And when My servants ask you, [O Muhammad], concerning Me - indeed I am near. I respond to the invocation of the supplicant when he calls upon Me. So let them respond to Me [by obedience] and believe in Me that they may be [rightly] guided."
          (QS. Al-Baqara 2: Verse 186

Allah said He is near and He responds. So make duaa with 100% conviction. First praise Allah by his names and attributes then praise Muhammed صلي الله عليه وسلم then make duaa for your self and the ummah after yourself .

Comment

https://youtu.be/HcwnV_ffNQQ

Comment

Conviction is vital. You need to acknowledge The Creator is listening and able to do something about your call!

"And when My slaves ask you (O Muhammad (SAW)) concerning Me, then (answer them), I am indeed near (to them by My Knowledge). I respond to the invocations of the supplicant when he calls on Me (without any mediator or intercessor). So let them obey Me and believe in Me, so that they may be led aright"[Surah Al-Baqarah, 2:186]

+

https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/is...our-iman-faith
              Pray. Fast. Zakat. Pilgrimage. Allah.

Comment

As long as you have conviction then your duas will be answered, though not necessarily in the way that you might expect or even recognise. So yes, it is important to believe in your heart that your duas will be heard and answered. This is something that I am constantly reminding my kids.

Try not to make your duas too specific, but instead ask Allah to help you develop as a Muslimah and strengthen your connection with Him. It is also helpful to spend time in sajdah praising and thanking Allah for all the wonderful gifts that that He has bestowed upon us, before asking for more.
                Allah is so Great and Merciful that although we continue to disobey Him, He still awaits for our repentance so that He may forgive us.

Comment

Sis read this:

Originally posted by Hadith of the Day article

Note in the verses below how when faced with difficulty, Ibrahim kept listing the favors of Allah upon him saying it is Allah ...
                  "Who created me, and He [it is who] guides me. And it is He who feeds me and gives me drink. And when I am ill, it is He who cures me. And who will cause me to die and then bring me to life. And who I aspire that He will forgive me my sin on the Day of Recompense" "My Lord, grant me authority and join me with the righteous. And grant me a reputation of honor among later generations. And place me among the inheritors of the Garden of Pleasure. And forgive my father. Indeed, he has been of those astray. And do not disgrace me on the Day they are [all] resurrected - The Day when there will not benefit [anyone] wealth or children. But only one who comes to Allah with a sound heart." (Qur'an 26:78-89]

Beautiful words and beautiful heart!

It is inspiring how Ibrahim mixed gratitude, faith, hope and asking for more all in the same dua ... How can this not be answered?

And here we are praising his mention, just like he asked "And grant me a reputation of honor among later generations"
                  Read the full article here sis: https://hadithoftheday.com/dealing-with-hardships/
                  Last edited by LailaTheMuslim; 13-07-19, 09:25 PM.
                  وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

I don't know what you are supplicating, but it is possible that Allah has responded to it without you knowing.
                      Make sure your dua doesn't ask for what is forbidden and be patient.

Jubair bin Nufair narrated that `Ubadah bin As-Samit narrated to them that, the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said:
                      There is not a Muslim upon the earth who calls upon Allah with any supplication, except that Allah grants it to him, or He turns away from him the like of it in evil; as long as he does not supplicate for something sinful, or the severing of the ties of kinship. So a man from the people said: What if we should increase (in it). He (ﷺ) said: (With) Allah is more. (Jami'at Tirmidhi)
                      Abu Huraira reported Allah's Messenger (ﷺ) as saying:
                      The supplication of the servant is granted in case he does not supplicate for sin or for severing the ties of blood, or he does not become impatient. It was said: Allah's Messenger, what does:" If he does not grow impatient" imply? He said: That he should say like this: I supplicated and I supplicated but I did not find it being responded. and thus he becomes frustrated and abandons supplication. (Sahih Muslim)

Also make supplications for all muslims, e.g. asking Allah to grant your dua and dua of all muslims, if it is better.

Abu Al-Darda' said: I heard the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) say: When a Muslim supplicates for his absent brother the angels say: Amin, and may you receive the like. (Sunan Abi Dawud)

Do a lot of good deeds, avoid haram, ask forgiveness often. Allah only accepts from those who have piety (surah Al-Maidah, surah Al-Haj).
                      .Remember story of Yunus 'alayhi salaam, story of the arrogant garden owner (surah al-Kahf)

About hypocrites and disbelievers, Allah already said in surah Al-Muzammil, to leave the matter to Him

May Allah make it easy for you

More info about making dua : https://islamqa.info/en/answers/3690...of-making-duaa
                      Last edited by islamlife00; 17-07-19, 11:50 PM. Reason: remove asterisk, add
                      He has created man from a sperm-drop; and behold this same (man) becomes an open disputer! (16:4)

Comment

Working...
                      X