Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Ask any member a question thread

Originally posted by Gevurlar Korksun View Post
    Also, how is the Bengali relationship with other Muslims in the region, like Muslim Indians, Maldivians, Rohingya and the like ?
    As for relations, well the closest muslims to Bangladeshis are indian muslims. Pakistanis are not looked favourably.

Rohingya are former bengalis some of whom began colonising Arakan when the Sultanate of Bengal had control of Arakan.

Much of those people were later exiled when buddhist conquered Arakan in 1800s.

The British later encouraged resettlement of Bengali people into Arakan for their plantations.

So here we are.

Comment

Jazak Allah khairun for the history

Comment

[MENTION=128304]Spicen[/MENTION]

Thank you very much for the nice overview, brother. I didn't know Turks were involved with the Islamization of Bangladesh, that's cool to know. And Ziaur Rahman sounds like a cool guy. It's a shame he was assassinated. Good Muslim politicians always have it difficult unfortunately and usually seem to be alone.

Now that I think about it: There's actually a street in Ankara named after Ziaur Rahman. I thought it was the name of a Pakistani politician, since Turkey has close ties to Pakistan, but now I've learned that he's an important politican from Bangladesh. That's really cool.

Speaking of which: What happened between Bangladesh and Pakistan sounds terrible. I hope the two people can reconcile at some point. Am I right to assume that Pakistan was the aggressor ?
        Last edited by Gevurlar Korksun; 12-05-17, 02:50 PM.

Comment

[MENTION=128304]Spicen[/MENTION]

Thank you very much for the nice overview, brother. I didn't know Turks were involved with the Islamization of Bangladesh, that's cool to know. And Ziaur Rahman sounds like a cool guy. It's a shame he was assassinated. Good Muslim politicians always have it difficult unfortunately and usually seem to be alone.

Now that I think about it: There's actually a street in Ankara named after Ziaur Rahman. I thought it was the name of a Pakistani politician, since Turkey has close ties to Pakistan, but now I've learned that he's an important politican from Bangladesh. That's really cool.

Speaking of which: What happened between Bangladesh and Pakistan sounds terrible. I hope the two people can reconcile at some point. Am I right to assume that Pakistan was the aggressor ?
          I forgot to mention an important event. The British had defeated Nawab Siraj-ud-Daula at the Battle of Polashi. But it was due to betrayal of the nawab by his own man, Mir Jafar. Mir Jafar betrayed so he could become Nawab which he did, but was completely incompetent.

That's why when ever bengali think anyone is a traitor we say, "Oh he's another Mir Jafar."

And at was this betrayal that opened the way for the British East India company to rule India.

Comment

Originally posted by Spicen View Post
            Well I'll try to keep this short.

Have you heard of the Khilji Dynasty in India? The most successful ruler was Alauddin Khilji. They were of Turkish descent.

It was under command of Alauddin Khilji, Ikhtiyar Uddin Mohammad Bakhtiyar Khilji- another Turk, conquered Bengal.

Now Bangladeshi muslim writers view Ikhtiyar as a pious warrior hero whereas secularists and hindus hate him and allege they destroyed many temples and the buddhist Nalanda University.

However, the conquest never actually islamized the people and muslims were more than happy just taxing the people and letting them keep their religion. Islam was spread to the people by the Sufis.

The most famous sufi is Hazrat Shah Jalal. There were others. Many of them came to Bengal to spread Islam and were largely successful. The muslim rulers being impressed endorsed the Chisty Sufi Order.

Over time, persian-islamic culture began overtaking hindu-bengali culture. Infact, there were hindu writers and poets writing angrily about it at that time. These writers/poets only had a few patrons among hindu landlords but for the general populace, they were not taken very seriously.

But these cancerous strain always remained.

Now later onwards, Akbar and mughals vassalized Bengal. Akbar loved hindu culture and infact created his own religion - Din-e-Elahi which was a mix of hinduism and ISlam.

It was under Akbar, that the cultural renaissance took place. The Bengali calendar was brought back, Akbar encouraged the Bengali new year's celebration.

The mughals patronized those same hindu culturalists that were doing their best to prevent islamization of Bengal.

The British Rule

But really the tables were not turned until the British came. Under british rule, hindus studied worked hard, got to many top posts. In general, a renaissance of education took place among the hindus.

The muslims meanwhile were uneducated, they were forbidden to study by the mullahs. In muslim communities, an era of darkness took place.

This attitudes set the tone for modern secular Bangladesh state. Religion, and more specifically Islam, was seen to be a factor behind keeping people backwards and was the main reason behind backward thinking.

The more liberal muslim families started respecting hindus- most notably Kazi Nazrul Islam- the national poet who wrote poetry against religion-and western way of thinking and this slowly began the trend towards secularism.

By now, hindus had all but cemented their position to dictate which direction the Bangladeshi people will go in the future.

Post- British Era

Following British departure of British, riots and massacres took place between hindus and muslims.

This further weakened how religion was viewed by people.

After Pakistan came into control of Bengal, they forced bengalis to adopt urdu and pakistani culture which led to the language movement in 1952. This further weakened Islam because Pakistan had done so under premise of islam.

But the most damaging thing Pakistan did was to equally discriminate and oppress Bangladeshis which huddled muslims together with hindus and secularists. This led to the war in 1971.

Post- 1971:

The war in 1971 was a huge victory for secularists and Leftists.

The importance of religion had come down to a historical low.

But after the assassination of Sheikh Mujib, President Ziaur Rahman came to power.

Ziaur Rahman abolished secularism from Bangladeshi constitution and built many islamic institutions. He included the sentence "Total and complete faith in Allah almighty" to the constitution.

This was a huge set back for secularism and the reason why Islam is still so important to society is because of Ziaur Rahman.

However, now Awami league have more or less undone all that and restored secularism. They are completely focused on takinf bangladesh down the route of hardcore secularism. And if muslims don't wake up, that's where we could be heading in 50 years.

One thing that has to be mentioned is the fact that all the major institutions like Universities, Colleges, Judiciary, etc are under control of secularists. There are very few religious muslim professors or businessmen or judges for example. This is the single biggest issue here. Most of the intellectuals of the country are either hindus or secularists.
            Good post.

Comment

Originally posted by mazuiz View Post
              how can I have more self confidence? I'm a wimp
              At least your honest akhi,

A lot of brothers would just pretend to be men as we see on this forum,

Remember to Fear Allah عز و جل often, not the people,

:jkk:
              Last edited by Saif-Uddin; 12-05-17, 08:01 PM.
              http://www.ilovepalestine.com/campai...imesinGaza.gif

"It does not befit the lion to answer the dogs."

Comment

Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post
                At least your honest akhi,

A lot of brothers would just pretend to be men as we see on this forum,

Remember to Fear Allah عز و جل often, not the people,

:jkk:
                Insha-Allah

But how can I be less shy and awkward bro

Comment

[MENTION=2757]Abu Yahya[/MENTION]
                  Your big on manliness bro. Advise me how to be more manly.

Comment

I haven't researched the debts enough, so unfortunately I can't give you an answer to that currently.

The Ottoman state and army were very weakened during the late 19th and early 20th century. It was in no shape to fight a serious war, let alone one on the scope of WW1, which was essentially a war that involved all European nations. Which is exactly why the Young Turks declared war and why they involved the Ottoman in this futile war. They basically executed an entire country.

Some Arabs and other Muslims did respond to the call, but many didn't. It just shows in what shape the Ummah was even back then. And there were a lot of Arab nationalist movements going on, who were against the Caliphate and pro-British. They were also sponsored by the British, like in Palestine, The Saudis in Arabia and Yemen.

It's sad to see that most if not all Muslim nations use flags that were forced on them or designed by the Europeans, especially Arab countries. This alone tells me, that we still have a long way to go before we will wake up from our deep slumber. The Turkish flag also has some shady roots, for example.

If we could finally reawaken our Islamic spirit (as a society) and combine it with a youth that is capable, competent, well versed in history, Islam and other sciences and courageous and brotherly, then we will be able to take that sword of the Europeans and turn it around.

Btw, I'm interested in Bengali history. Bangladesh is a Muslim country I don't know much about. Could you tell me about Bengali history ? Like, give me a brief overview of their history, how they became Muslim and some important historical individuals ? Also, how is the Bengali relationship with other Muslims in the region, like Muslim Indians, Maldivians, Rohingya and the like ?
                    Lol your username made me laugh.

MashaaAllah accurately said brother.

Comment

[MENTION=142333]itsgiise[/MENTION] what does your name mean
                      يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Originally posted by aynina View Post
                        [MENTION=142333]itsgiise[/MENTION] what does your name mean

Giise- Sounds very similar to a nickname a good friend of mine use to call me. I would've chosen that nickname but there is a chance( albeit a small one) someone might recognise it's me. It's a rather unique name.
                        Other than that it has no meaning.
                        Are you a big fan of tru-la-la ?

Comment

Originally posted by itsgiise View Post
                          Giise- Sounds very similar to a nickname a good friend of mine use to call me. I would've chosen that nickname but there is a chance( albeit a small one) someone might recognise it's me. It's a rather unique name.
                          Other than that it has no meaning.
                          Are you a big fan of tru-la-la ?
                          Ehmm idk what trulala iss
                          يَٰٓأَيُّهَا ٱلنَّاسُ ٱعْبُدُوا۟ رَبَّكُمُ ٱلَّذِى خَلَقَكُمْ وَٱلَّذِينَ مِن قَبْلِكُمْ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَتَّقُونَ

O mankind, worship your Lord, who created you and those before you, that you may become righteous

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Ehmm idk what trulala iss
                            When i google your name i get a song called Ay! nina by tru-la-la. Thought you might have drawn your inspiration from them

Comment

Originally posted by itsgiise View Post
                              When i google your name i get a song called Ay! nina by tru-la-la. Thought you might have drawn your inspiration from them
                              Hahaa no but there was a singer called aynine,i liked names that end with 'a' so i made i into aynina, i didnt know music was haram and i didnt know arabic names have a meaning at the time lol :cower:

Surah Al Baqarah ayah 21

Comment

Hahaa no but there was a singer called aynine,i liked names that end with 'a' so i made i into aynina, i didnt know music was haram and i didnt know arabic names have a meaning at the time lol :cower:
                                Thats a french artist. You understand that ?.
                                You're quite the linguistic.

Yeah i didn't stop listening to music until recently, when i learned about it's creation and so forth.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X