Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Night of excellence in the Month of Shaban

A Night of excellence in the Month of Shaban

As most of you must be aware the month of Shaban has arrived, it is the month which the Prophet [Peace be upon him] fasted most other than the month of Ramadan, and this is established from many authentic hadiths, among them is the following Hadith;

The Mother of the Believers Aisha [May Allah be pleased with her] said: “The Messenger of Allah [Peace be upon him] used to fast until we thought he would never break his fast, and not fast until we thought he would never fast. I never saw the Messenger of Allah [Peace be upon him fasting for an entire month except in Ramadan, and I never saw him fast more than he did in Shaban. [1]

There are many articles written on the virtues of Shaban, the focus on this article is the mid night of this month, which as we will see is regarded as vitreous by the scholars in light of the Sunnah.

Concerning the night of mid-Shaban Ibn Taymiyya wrote:

[Some] said there is no difference between this and other nights of the year. However, the opinion of many of the people of learning and that of the majority of our [Hanbali] colleagues and other than them is that it is a night of superior merit, and this is what is indicated by the words of Ahmad [ibn Hanbal], in view of the many hadiths transmitted about it and in light of what confirms this in the words and deeds transmitted from the early generations (al-athar al-salafiyya). Some of its merits have been transmitted in the books of Hadith of the types Musnad and Sunnan. This holds true even if other things have been forged concerning it. [2]

Similarly al-Suyyuti said:

“As for the night of mid-Sha’ban it has great merit and it is desirable (mustahab) to spend part of it in [supererogatory] worship.” [3]

This night is also regarded highly by the Scholars of the Deoband;

Maulana Ashraf Ali Thanvi writes “Its significance is this that 15th night and 15th day of this month are very blessed ones. Prophet Muhammad (peace be upon him), urged Muslims to stay up during the night and fast during the day. At this night the prophet used to go to the graveyard of Madinah and prayed for the dead. Therefore, it is desirable that the Muslims should pray during that night and fast during the following day. They should also seek the forgiveness of their dead either by reciting the Qur’an or by feeding the hungry or by giving the money in charity or by just praying for them.” [4]

Mufti Taqi Uthmani writes: “Another significant feature of the month of Sha'ban is that it consists of a night which is termed in Shariah as "Laylatul-bara'ah" (The night of freedom from Fire). This is the night occurring between 14th and 15th day of Sha'ban. There are certain traditions of Prophet Muhammad, Sall-Allahu alayhi wa sallam, to prove that it is a meritorious night in which the people of the earth are attended by special Divine mercy.” [5]

These positions are based on the following evidences:

Mu'adh ibn Jabal [May Allah be pleased with him] reports that Prophet [Peace be upon him] said: “Allah looks at his creation on the night of mid-Shaban and He forgives all his creation except for the idolater and the one bent on hatred.” [6]

The Mother of the Believers Aisha [May Allah be pleased with her] reports I missed the Prophet one night so I went out to al-Baqi` (and found him). He said: "Were you afraid that Allah would wrong you and that His Prophet would wrong you?" I said: "O Messenger of Allah, I thought that you might have gone to visit one of your wives." He said: "Allah Glorious and Exalted descends to the nearest heaven on the night of mid-Shaban and He forgives to more people than the number of hairs on the hides of the sheep of the tribes of Kalb [7]

Abd Allah ibn `Amr [May Allah be pleased with him] reports that Prophet [Peace be upon him] said “Allah looks upon His creatures on the night of mid-Shaban and He forgives all His servants except two: one intent on hatred, and the homicide.” [8]

The Mother of the Believers Aisha [May Allah be pleased with her] reports, "The Prophet stood up in prayer during part of the night and made his prostration so lengthy that I thought his soul had been taken back. When I saw this I got up and went to move his big toe, whereupon he moved, so I drew back. When he raised his head from prostration and finished praying, he said: "O `A'isha, O fair little one (humayra')! Did you think that the Prophet had broken his agreement with you?" She replied: "No, by Allah, O Messenger of Allah, but I thought that your soul had been taken back because your stayed in prostration for so long." He said: "Do you know what night this is?" She said: "Allah and His Prophet know best." He said: "This is the night of mid-Sha`ban! Verily Allah the Glorious and Majestic look at His servants on the night of mid-Sha`ban, and He forgives those who ask forgiveness, and He bestows mercy on those who ask mercy, and He gives a delay to the people of envy and spite in their state." [9]

Ali ibn Abi Talib [May Allah be pleased with him] reports that the Prophet [Peace be upon him] is reported to have said: “The night of mid-Shaban, let all of you spend in prayer and its day in fasting, for Allah descends to the nearest heaven during that night beginning with sunset and says: ‘Is there no one asking sustenance that I may forgive them? Is there no one asking sustenance that I may grant them sustenance? Is there no one under duress that I may relieve them? Is there not such-and-such, is there not such-and-such, a so forth until dawn rises’”[10]

Although this narration is weak, when other factors are taken into consideration, the validity of fasting on 15th Shaban becomes established although it should not be deemed as a Sunnah, rather it is somewhat desirable. [Read footnote 10]

Shaykh Abdul Qadir al-Gilani recommended the following modality in his Ghunya:

“As for the ritual prayer traditional for the night of mid-Shaban, it consists of one hundred cycles, including one thousand repetitions of Qul Huwa Allahu Ahad (that is to say, ten recitations in each rak’a). This prayer is called Salat al-Khayr, and its blessings are many and varied. Our righteous predecessors used to gather to perform it in congregation. It contains much merit and rich reward. It is reported of al-Hasan [al=Basri], may Allah be well-pleased with him, that he said: ‘Thirty of the companions of the Messenger of Allah [Peace be upon him] related to me that Allah will look seventy times upon one who performs this prayer on this night, and with each glance He will fulfill seventy of that persons needs, the last of them being forgiveness.’” [11]

Shaikh Gibril Haddad writes:

“Also among those who wrote on the immense merits of the night of mid-Shaban are al-Haythami, Abd al-Ra’uf al-Munawi, Mulla Ali al-Qari, al-Sunhuri al-Maliki, Nur al-Din al-Bayruti, al-Kawthari, al-Ghumari, and Muhammad Hasnayn Makhluf” [12]

May Allah grant us the ability to benefit from this Month and reap the benefits of the night of mid-Shaban.

Re: A Night of excellence in the Month of Shaban

Just some dates to help everyone knowing when the special night actually is, these are according to UK dates, America is one day behind as the moon was sighted there one day earlier.

Comment

edit.

Comment

mm... I just come across the articles on IslamQA regarding the night of mid-Shaban, funny how they forgot to mention Ibn Taymiyyah who they usually always quote as Shaikh-Al-Islam.

http://www.islamqa.com/ln/php/the_file.php?ln=eng

Comment

By the way the dates i did above are one day ahead, and wrong..

The night of Mid Shaban is on this Monday

Comment

jazakallah khair for the great thread. may Allah bless us all in this blessed month. ameen.
            My heart has secrets to tell you.. I'll tell you with my eyes..
            http://lost-inthecall.blogspot.com

Comment

JazakumAllah khair :D I was going to ask when it is but thansk you got there before I had to! :)
              Allahu Akbar

Comment

Originally posted by Sunni Student View Post

[Some] said there is no difference between this and other nights of the year. However, the opinion of many of the people of learning and that of the majority of our [Hanbali] colleagues and other than them is that it is a night of superior merit, and this is what is indicated by the words of Ahmad [ibn Hanbal], in view of the many hadiths transmitted about it and in light of what confirms this in the words and deeds transmitted from the early generations (al-athar al-salafiyya). Some of its merits have been transmitted in the books of Hadith of the types Musnad and Sunnan. This holds true even if other things have been forged concerning it. [2]

Last edited by thetruth; 29-08-07, 12:22 AM. Reason: see below
                Coffe and a slice of your finest cake :-)

Comment

akhi,

apparently this is a daif hadeeth ? I'm looking into it but can you confirm if it is / not ?

Ibn Taymiyya says this about weak hadeeth =

Ibn Taymiyyah writes in Majmoo' al-Fataawaa (18/65-68): "...if the weak ahaadeeth about excellent actions (fadaa'il 'amaal) contain specifications and limitations, such as prayer in a particular time with a certain recitation, or with particular characteristics, then this is not permissible since declaring that particular way to be recommended requires a proof from the Sharee'ah..."
                  And Allah knows best and He is the one who grants success.
                  Coffe and a slice of your finest cake :-)

Comment

mm... I just come across the articles on IslamQA regarding the night of mid-Shaban, funny how they forgot to mention Ibn Taymiyyah who they usually always quote as Shaikh-Al-Islam.

Same website and same topic where they actually DO mention Ibn Tamiyyah rahimahullah

http://islamqa.com/index.php?pg=arti...&article_id=41
                    :love:"LOVE FOR YOUR BROTHER WHAT YOU LOVE FOR YOURSELF":love:
                    IN THE SENTENCE OF LIFE, THE DEVIL MAY BE A COMMA BUT NEVER LET HIM BE THE PERIOD.
                    DON'T PUT A QUESTION MARK WHERE ALLAH PUTS A FULL-STOP BECAUSE WE HEAR AND WE OBEY

Comment

:start:

:salams

bhai yaar why are you always being sarcastic and disrespectful towards great scholars?
                      www.ashaabulquran.com
                      www.aladabalmufrad.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sulaiman Harun View Post

bhai yaar why are you always being sarcastic and disrespectful towards great scholars?
                        Harun bhai is today al qadr?????
                        Everyone thinks their a scholar because they know how to copy and paste, you get your ummah face on and the second you log out, you know your reality. Anyone can attain knowledge, how many can implement it?

Comment

Originally posted by $HugoBoss$ View Post
                          Harun bhai is today al qadr?????
                          If you mean Laylatul Qadr then no, it is not today akhi
                          :love:"LOVE FOR YOUR BROTHER WHAT YOU LOVE FOR YOURSELF":love:
                          IN THE SENTENCE OF LIFE, THE DEVIL MAY BE A COMMA BUT NEVER LET HIM BE THE PERIOD.
                          DON'T PUT A QUESTION MARK WHERE ALLAH PUTS A FULL-STOP BECAUSE WE HEAR AND WE OBEY

Comment

Originally posted by thetruth View Post
                            akhi,

apparently this is a daif hadeeth ? I'm looking into it but can you confirm if it is / not ?

Ibn Taymiyya says this about weak hadeeth =

Ibn Taymiyyah writes in Majmoo' al-Fataawaa (18/65-68): "...if the weak ahaadeeth about excellent actions (fadaa'il 'amaal) contain specifications and limitations, such as prayer in a particular time with a certain recitation, or with particular characteristics, then this is not permissible since declaring that particular way to be recommended requires a proof from the Sharee'ah..."
                            And Allah knows best and He is the one who grants success.

Ibn Taymiyyah does not say they that all the narrations with regards to the significance of this night are weak, rather he says some things have been forged regarding the night, but this does not mean everything is forged.

One of the hadiths i have mentioned in the article above is Sound, and even Albani has accepted it as such!

I am refering to the following hadith:

Mu'adh ibn Jabal [May Allah be pleased with him] reports that Prophet [Peace be upon him] said: “Allah looks at his creation on the night of mid-Shaban and He forgives all his creation except for the idolater and the one bent on hatred.”

Narrated by Ibn Hibban (12:481) with a sound chain according to al-Arna’ut and al-Haythami who said that Tabarani also narrated it in his Kabir and Awsat with chains containing only trustworthy narrators, that is: sound (sahih) chains; Ibn Khuzayma included it in his Sahih, which has the same level of acceptance among the experts as Sahih Muslim; and even Albani included it in his Silsila sahiha.

And further to what a brother posted in another thread to what Albani said regarding the Hadith:

And again from what another brother has posted regarding to what Imam Shafi said regarding this night:

Imam Shafi rahmatullahi alayh said in Al-Umm, Vol. 1 p. 231:

Imam Shafi (RA) said, “of the narrations that have reached us, verily, dua is accepted on five nights: the night of Juma’, the night of E’id Al-Adha, the night of E’id Al-Fitr, the first night of Rajab, and the 15th night of Shabaan”.

Comment

Originally posted by kamalysalma View Post
                              Same website and same topic where they actually DO mention Ibn Tamiyyah rahimahullah

http://islamqa.com/index.php?pg=arti...&article_id=41
                              Can you please copy/paste what they said and what they quoted from Ibn Taymiyyah, Jazakallah.

Originally posted by Sulaiman Harun View Post

Wa'alaykum Assalam

Where have i been disrespectful? or even Sarcastic i did genuinely find it strange that they did not mentioned Ibn Taymiyyahs view

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X