No announcement yet.

Random thread V3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does anyone know how to get rid of an old sofa?

I went to a shop to buy a sofa. I found one that looks about right, selected a good fabric and colour, then asked a few questions. Her answers satisfied me and I was about to make the purchase until I asked "will you collect my old sofa on the day that the new one is delivered?" and she said "no- we used to offer that service but don't anymore"- something about covid restrictions changing their policy on such things. I thanked her for her time but said I don't think I can make the purchase until I can figure out a way to sort this issue out.

If she'd said they charge an extra x pounds for collecting the old sofa, I wouldn't mind. In fact it would've given peace of mind cos now if I order a new one and then contact a separate service for picking up the old one... what if there are months of delays in delivering the new one? Let's say they tell me the new one will arrive in 12 weeks, so I get rid of the old sofa 11.5 weeks later, but then there are another 6-8 weeks of delays in the supply chain so I'm without a sofa for two months. Wish there was an easier answer to this. Let me know if you have any suggestions on this.
    The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

• Originally posted by neelu View Post
      Does anyone know how to get rid of an old sofa?

I went to a shop to buy a sofa. I found one that looks about right, selected a good fabric and colour, then asked a few questions. Her answers satisfied me and I was about to make the purchase until I asked "will you collect my old sofa on the day that the new one is delivered?" and she said "no- we used to offer that service but don't anymore"- something about covid restrictions changing their policy on such things. I thanked her for her time but said I don't think I can make the purchase until I can figure out a way to sort this issue out.

If she'd said they charge an extra x pounds for collecting the old sofa, I wouldn't mind. In fact it would've given peace of mind cos now if I order a new one and then contact a separate service for picking up the old one... what if there are months of delays in delivering the new one? Let's say they tell me the new one will arrive in 12 weeks, so I get rid of the old sofa 11.5 weeks later, but then there are another 6-8 weeks of delays in the supply chain so I'm without a sofa for two months. Wish there was an easier answer to this. Let me know if you have any suggestions on this.
      Some local Councils have a large item collection service. You have to ring the council and ask for the household waste department and speak to them. You can also check on your council's website if they collect large items. Sometimes it is free if you receive certain benefits otherwise they charge. I guess each council has it's own policy so best check online or ring them.

If you have enough space then don't get rid of the old one until the new one arrives or if they give you a definate delivery date then ring them a week or few days before the date to make sure the delivery is still going ahead. In the meantime arrange for the other sofa to be collected too and if there are any changes to your delivery just cancel the collection of the old one. Ask if whoever is collecting the old one will charge if you cancel or want the collection reacheduled.
      Last edited by Mintchocchip; 29-11-21, 10:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by neelu View Post
        Does anyone know how to get rid of an old sofa?

I don't know how it is in your country but you could call up your trash service company and see if they'd take it, I've gotten several box springs and mattresses that way and all I had to do is leave them on the curb on trash day. If not, ask them what is the best way to get rid of it. They should be the best people to know.

Comment

• Neelu, you can try charities like the British heart Foundation. The last

I'd be surprised if the council (all the best with getting in touch with them) collect furniture for free, pretty sure those days are long gone.
          'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

• Originally posted by notEVOLVED View Post

You can find the news articles if you google it.

This was the letter apparently written by her.

She is incredible

She has written the letter in such an articulate manner

'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

Comment

• thanks for the advice. The woman at the store suggested british heart foundation as well. My dad suggested contacting the council but said they may charge (I don't mind paying a reasonable amount)- good idea to check if they make it free for benefit claimants.

We certainly don't live in a time when you can leave old furniture outside and someone will collect it without charge. that used to be the case many years ago but sadly the commodification of everything including rubbish collection has often meant having to pay for these services. Alhamdullilah I can afford it so don't mind, but it means in poor neighbourhoods, such rubbish is dumped and leaves mess all over the neighbourhood (rain soaked old mattresses for example) and that attracts rodents. My friend is struggling with living in a block of flats like that and when she tries to advise people to dispose of things properly, she is now labelled as the neighbourhood trouble maker and both the housing company (that owns the mainly council social housing flats) and the neighbours turned their backs on her.

Comment

• Local councils usually collect old furniture or big bulky items for a price. I don't know what its like with your local council but our local coumcil charges £20 to to take up to 5 big items away. I remember i used them when i had to get rid of some old furniture.

It would be a good idea to check with your local council. They might even do it for free if your on benefits.
                'If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]'

Surah Ibrahim (14:7)

Comment

• Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post

It means they need to get the sack
                  True, but my problem is i dont even understand myself, so i'll never know if they are really understanding me or not. They are humans after all, just trying to understand another human, i personally believe a therapist can mostly only help you when you want to be helped, when you can help yourself and just need that push, cbt is like that, so i believe therapists might be a bit over rated. Hope im wrong

Comment

• I want to try herbal meds to treat my condition but the research I've done suggests using tinctures and most tinctures use alcohol (it would mean literally using a few drops of it per day, not large doses). I've come across sources that say this is okay for medicinal purposes but I still don't like the thought of it. Wish these things were more straightforward.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ya'sin View Post

I hate that question lol
                      always get told that

I have accepted being single for now, just need my parents on board so I can get rid of the anxiety I feel every day, I can't escape them

My only major concern is safety and finance, those two.

Otherwise I've been alone all my life anyway, not like I ever had a good friend.

Hope your parents give you the chance to think it through and that this man is good potential
                      Its tough especially for those who are not supported by family/the 'favourites', you have to balance being 'realistic' and using the freedom Allah has given you to not have to do anything but the halal and haram (not get forced into marriage).

I do have a chance to think it through, I just dont feel like im even activating my brain on this one, i dont sit there thinking about it, and its hard to try to. whether thats a comnbination of my issues or confusion or valid i dont know as i am so out of touch with my real self, this might sound airy fairy, but its just how i feel.

Comment

• I went doctors again for breathlessness and they say it could be asthma, and that I should try the basic asthma pump and if it helps they would make me do some asthma tests (why not just do those first), I’ve been mentioning these symptoms for years), and so I tried the asthma inhaler once (two puffs). I did not use the spray in open air as stated on the leaflet (which I read later in my own initiative) so I wonder if that plays a part (I doubt it) but

since I’ve used the inhaler that one time I noticed some of the stated symptoms so it was fine but one thing that changed was that my small cough I have on and off turned into a wet cough instead of a simple dry cough. And it’s been months and that hasn’t changed. It’s hard to get rid of this cough and I feel like I can’t breath properly, it’s actually made my symptoms worse so I will not be using that again. If I go doctors they won’t see any issue and it’s nothing dramatic enough for them. Just now I had to force cough (but not actually cough in a relief sense) (just a gentle cough) but the phlegm/wet cough was making it hard to feel like I’m getting air in my lungs or something?

also this could be a seperate issue but in the centre of my chest (new issue) I’ve noticed it feels like it’s being sqeezed and I’m worried as that feels like it’ll it was worse I could pass out/stop breathing, and I also feel my heartbeat there around the time it happens.

Comment

• Originally posted by usernametaken View Post

Its tough especially for those who are not supported by family/the 'favourites', you have to balance being 'realistic' and using the freedom Allah has given you to not have to do anything but the halal and haram (not get forced into marriage).

I do have a chance to think it through, I just dont feel like im even activating my brain on this one, i dont sit there thinking about it, and its hard to try to. whether thats a comnbination of my issues or confusion or valid i dont know as i am so out of touch with my real self, this might sound airy fairy, but its just how i feel.
                          Could be due to not really wanting it that's why
                          it's a shame but like you said, you can't help these feelings it's just how you feel, I am the same but in a different way because of exhaustion, I'm fed up and tired, just don't want my parents to stress over it, this is my biggest concern.

I was talking to a non Muslim today and he was saying that there aren't committed people out there and he understands it will be hard for me.

If the man's family can give it time, that will be good but this isn't ideal as there plenty of women out there that he can marry so why should he waste his time

The most important thing is your mental health, the last thing you will
                          want is marriage, they say a problem shared is a problem halved, something like that but it's not in this case, there's too many mental obstacles

Comment

• Why should we hire you?

Comment

• Originally posted by notEVOLVED View Post
                              Why should we hire you?
                              Because I...

'da best'?

(I'm not quite up to speed with the all the Son-nery, but I think that reply qualifies. :p )
                              ​​Your du'aa... Always dear, always needed (Jazaa'akumullah Khair.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Fakhri-bin-Ali View Post

Because I...

'da best'?

(I'm not quite up to speed with the all the Son-nery, but I think that reply qualifies. :p )
                                Yes son.

Such is the infectious nature of sonhood.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X