Do you feel safe living in the west?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post

Oh yes. It looks like the family that was recently killed were from London, Ontario. Anyway, I don't really think that overt Islamophobic incidents are taking place at a high rate esspecially in Toronto, Scarborough, Mississauga or Brampton. The population of Muslims are reasonably high in those areas and the white Canadians have become accustomed to multiculturalism in general.

Again, it really depends on the area you live. Your brother shouldn't have much of a problem anywhere Canada if he has white complexion, but praying in public might be an issue for him depending on the region. I personally wouldn't like to live anywhere outside of the cities mentioned above if I had female family members who were practicing.
    Unfortunately he isn't in a highly populated muslim area but he's going to the same university I went to and it was alright. One thing that I realized about that area is that there are crazies but they mostly aren't violent. There are enough muslims who go to that university from other cities for them to have a prayer room. He also lives very close to the school so if he has to, then he can just pray at home.

If I was ever going to live in Canada again I would want to live is Mississauga. I always like going there because there seems to be muslims everywhere.

Comment

aelmo

Which province is your brother going to be studying in? Either way, I don't think there is much to worry about as long as he doesn't mix with the wrong people. The odds of experiencing Islamophobic violence is slim to none in spite of recent occurrences.

Comment

I feel okay in the UK Alhamdulillaah, but i wonder how long until it becomes similar to a country like France.

Also, I would like to beable to live in a Muslim country, especially if it will help my emaan, InshaaAllaah. I know all countries have pros and cons.. its more just life where you end up so engrossed in it at times, that we neglect at times the very purpose of our existence. May Allaah forgive us, guide us and protect us. Aameen.
        And with Him are the keys of the Ghayb (all that is hidden), none knows them but He. And He knows whatever there is in the land and in the sea; not a leaf falls, but He knows it. There is not a grain in the darkness of the earth nor anything fresh or dry, but is written in a Clear Record�
        [al-An�aam 6:59]

Comment

Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post
          aelmo

Which province is your brother going to be studying in? Either way, I don't think there is much to worry about as long as he doesn't mix with the wrong people. The odds of experiencing Islamophobic violence is slim to none in spite of recent occurrences.
          He's in ontario but not in a major city. My sister is with him and she is who I am really worried about but she doesn't feel scared at all about living in Canada.

I think my brother will be fine. Even though he has an Arab name no-one thinks he's Arab or muslim. He really shocks people when he speaks Arabic. He's also a good boy, I hope he doesn't get corrupted but for the most part I know that he feels uncomfortable around people who aren't very religious. He's in the science program and that usually where all the muslims are so I hope he makes some good muslim friends.

Comment

No, I never felt at risk or fear of harm in Canada. I feel relatively safe here. People are generally nice and don't care unless you are in their business
            "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

Like another person said if you mind your own business and you dont get into other peoples lives or doings people generally leave you alone. You feel pretty safe unless you happen to cross paths with someone with mental health problems
              'If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]'

Surah Ibrahim (14:7)

Comment

Originally posted by Eorlingas View Post

Use Google maps for this?
                (Hehe.... I really shouldn't be using the wrong one here since I've been pulling them up, busy in the garden all week...​​​​​​Tired, brother. Heat, lack of sugar and nutrients and water and sleep and probably a load of other things. I'm surprised I managed to get that post in without a zillion other spelling mistakes and half-decent punctuation.)

​​​​​​
                ​​Your du'aa... Always dear, always needed (Jazaa'akumullah Khair.)

Comment

honestly imo the non muslim countries are safer

the amount of times ive heard women whether non muslim or even muslim hijabis or non hijabis always complain about pervs in muslim countries, its not shocking no more

Comment

No wonder most Arab countries are buggered..if you'll pardon the pun.

But seriously this seems ingrained in the culture..disgusting. Is this because they don't have access to women?
                    It is caused by extreme societal segregation, there are no other explanation for this. Hearing stories of sexually abused teenage boys in the Middle East, Afghanistan, Pakistan and the likes that were documentated by human rights group makes me think homosexuality is much more rampant than we think. We just don’t hear it because male victims won’t speak out to their communities for taboo reasons and it isn’t accepted yet like the West.

Also, it’s an unpopular opinion here but Muslim women will feel safer walking around alone in the west because of the laws and western men can cope and handle restraint better because they’re desensitized to seeing them in an open society.

Comment

Originally posted by aelmo View Post
                      You hear a lot of things about this from around the world. Recently there seems to be a lot more incidents happening in Canada with that family being killed and recently a mother and child where threatened and harassed by someone and the guy ended up being arrested for it.

I just wonder for most of you who live in the west, how safe do you feel? And how often do you experience any islamophobic comments or actions from people, if you do?
                      I have a Muslim sounding name, live in a predominately white suburb for 25 years and grew up with Aussies. No issues. I did get occasional stereotypical jokes from old friends when I was young but that was nothing.

Problems like that tend to happen in under-developed rural towns and lower socio-economic areas where there are high crime rates and troublesome youth.

Comment

Born & Raised in the West, lived in Bed Stuy during its worst days, lived amongst Rednecks

Never feared, nor felt unsafe

then again, America has the Second Amendment
                        .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
                        نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
                        دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

Originally posted by AbuMubarak View Post
                          Born & Raised in the West, lived in Bed Stuy during its worst days, lived amongst Rednecks

Never feared, nor felt unsafe

then again, America has the Second Amendment
                          you have New York permit? or do you live elsewhere now?

heard its rather difficult to get a permit in that state
                          "They are Shuhadaa (witnesses) to the fact that this Deen is greater than life, that values are more important than blood and that principles are more precious than souls" - Sheikh 'Abdullah Azzam

Lost in Islamic History :inlove:

Comment

Originally posted by DesertWarrior View Post
                            It is caused by extreme societal segregation, there are no other explanation for this. Hearing stories of sexually abused teenage boys in the Middle East, Afghanistan, Pakistan and the likes that were documentated by human rights group makes me think homosexuality is much more rampant than we think. We just don’t hear it because male victims won’t speak out to their communities for taboo reasons and it isn’t accepted yet like the West.

Also, it’s an unpopular opinion here but Muslim women will feel safer walking around alone in the west because of the laws and western men can cope and handle restraint better because they’re desensitized to seeing them in an open society.
                            That makes lot of sense. Muslims have made a rod for their own back by delaying marriage for economic reasons.

Instead of the "eww muslim men are pervs" simplistic view that some, particularly those with an agenda take, it would be more helpful to examine the reasons why they this behaviour is prevalent and what can be done to minimize it, instead of sticking our heads in the sand and allowing muslim societies to degenerate further.

Comment

Originally posted by samin62 View Post

you have New York permit? or do you live elsewhere now?

heard its rather difficult to get a permit in that state
                              Allah and the sunnah gave us the permit to defend ourselves

The US Constitution does not give us those rights, it just ratifies those rights
                              .لا نريد زعيما يخاف البيت الإبيض
                              نريد زعيما يخاف الواحد الأحد
                              دولة الإسلامية باقية

Comment

That makes lot of sense. Muslims have made a rod for their own back by delaying marriage for economic reasons.

Instead of the "eww muslim men are pervs" simplistic view that some, particularly those with an agenda take, it would be more helpful to examine the reasons why they this behaviour is prevalent and what can be done to minimize it, instead of sticking our heads in the sand and allowing muslim societies to degenerate further.
                                I think its more nuanced than making marriage easier, often these abusers are just teens themselves so marriage really wouldn't be on the cards anyway. First and foremost it is lack of fear of Allah swt, and I think overcrowded living conditions contributes. Children grow up very sexually aware (which was a huge shock to me) land also boys grow up feeling entitled to do what they want without accountability. Sadly there is also a lack of concern about males being abused, everyone is frightened about the girls but because they are boys it's a lesser issue.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                                X