Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you feel safe living in the west?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    That same crowd of boys outside the girls school is a real deal in Muslim countries it seems. My cousin was telling me about how he and others had to clear out some weirdos who did the exact same thing outside a girl's college in pakistan. My friend got into a fight with some pervert at the airport in Pakistan because he was so obviously staring at his mum or sisters and so my friends punched him.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Eorlingas View Post

      No wonder most Arab countries are buggered..if you'll pardon the pun.

      But seriously this seems ingrained in the culture..disgusting. Is this because they don't have access to women? I'm aware this goes on in western all boys boarding schools which explains why the upper classes are messed up, but if your average Arab kid is having to go through that, then no wonder they are a nation of deviants.
      Yes I think most abuse that goes on is due to sexual frustration. I was highly shocked at how sexualized society was to be honest, and how young children had knowledge. I think this is because big families live in very over crowded houses and it's easy for children to pick up on these things. I wouldn't say this is normal all over BTW, but in poorer areas definitely it is more visible.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by RuthlessSoftie View Post
        That same crowd of boys outside the girls school is a real deal in Muslim countries it seems. My cousin was telling me about how he and others had to clear out some weirdos who did the exact same thing outside a girl's college in pakistan. My friend got into a fight with some pervert at the airport in Pakistan because he was so obviously staring at his mum or sisters and so my friends punched him.

        Comment


        • #19
          I should iterate that the things that ummabdullah86 is mentioning is not something that you see everywhere in Arab countries. Some places are worse then others but obviously if you live in a better area you won't see stuff like that but I think that goes for every country muslim and none muslim. You see different behaviours and mentalities depending on what area you are in. This isn't something that is exclusive to muslim countries.


          However this is actually a topic that I do want to hear peoples opinions on so just to stay on track, do those of you who live in the west feel safe being a muslim and practicing islam while living there?

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by aelmo View Post
            I should iterate that the things that ummabdullah86 is mentioning is not something that you see everywhere in Arab countries. Some places are worse then others but obviously if you live in a better area you won't see stuff like that but I think that goes for every country muslim and none muslim. You see different behaviours and mentalities depending on what area you are in. This isn't something that is exclusive to muslim countries.


            However this is actually a topic that I do want to hear peoples opinions on so just to stay on track, do those of you who live in the west feel safe being a muslim and practicing islam while living there?
            Yes this is something that I have to reiterate that isn't typical either. This is why wherever you are you should strive to live in a good area where crime is as minimum as possible.

            Back to the topic....

            Comment


            • #21
              I feel safe walking down the street but I do avoid certain areas in town which have a racist reputation. I don't think people care too much if you pray or something, if they do most aren't brave enough to cause a public scene, other Islamic things such as being against lgbt is somewhere I have to really watch what I say though because you can get disciplined by uni or fired from work or even criminal charges.

              Comment


              • #22
                !
                Last edited by Umm Uthmaan; 21-07-21, 06:09 PM. Reason: Over it..

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by UmmAbdullah86 View Post

                  Not attacked, no, but leered at in the street. When people realized I'm from the west unfortunately many felt that was synonymous with me being a 'loose woman' subhanAllah. A good friend of mine (who is very practising) said men used to put their hands around the bus seat to feel up her rear end when they heard her speaking English to her children.

                  ​​​​​​
                  That’s incredibly disgusting. Makes me sad that Muslims do this. No wonder Muslim men have the reputation they do.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Re: the problem with bus seats in some Muslim countries

                    One of my teenage school friends was in Pakistan with her mum on holiday. One time she said they were on a bus and she could feel someone from the seat behind trying to reach his hand on to her seat from the side to grope her. She said she grabbed that hand and clawed it as much as she could, digging her nails in. When he got up to get off the bus, she saw him walk towards the bus exit, then turn to her and kiss his hand- ewwwwwwww!

                    Originally posted by aelmo View Post

                    However this is actually a topic that I do want to hear peoples opinions on so just to stay on track, do those of you who live in the west feel safe being a muslim and practicing islam while living there?
                    No. One of my friends is a hijabi convert in Derby and on more than one occasion she says cars have sped up trying to hit her whilst she crossed the road and that's in recent years. Ever since the Bosnia genocide in the 90s, I've always been wary of the fact that they were people who integrated, assimilated, intermarried and blended in with mainstream kufr society yet they were still slaughtered for no other reason than they said Allah is our Lord. People said the soldiers attacking them were their colleagues and people they sat next to in school. Most of our community have a false sense of security that if you get on with your non Muslim colleagues and show a nice smiley polite face of Islam, then it'll shield you from those attacks and it simply isn't true... that's more of a colonised mindset of wanting to be accepted by the host nation by being sycophantic.

                    Don't get me wrong, I do think I live in a very good and diverse neighbourhood. My next door neighbours on both sides are non Muslims and we get on well with them and they're really good. People are used to seeing hijabis in the street so they don't stare or show hostility- for some non Muslims the reason is their tolerance and being used to growing up seeing this (ie they are genuinely accepting of difference) and for some, they are tolerant because they know a lot of Muslims live here and if they cause trouble for a sister, her brothers and cousins can give him a good beating. Yes I know it's not a good thing to have violent thugs in our community, but actually you don't realise how you take it for granted that in some cases, Muslims are not harassed due to their presence. Also I say I live in a good neighbourhood and I do feel (relatively) safe here, but I also know if I travel 4 miles north or south of here it's a very different story and those neighbourhoods are more hostile. In fact, one of the old forum brothers (Truepath) moved to my town years ago and lived about 4 miles away from me. He complained that the locals were racist and hostile so I told him to move to my neighbourhood and he found a house 5-10 mins walk from my place and he felt much more at ease here and didn't experience such problems at all here.

                    I learned a lot from living up north in the 90s as a student, cos I was living in a white working class town that was quite hostile. So nowadays people make a big deal about being sworn at in the street etc but to me that's old news cos I experienced a lot of that over there. I learned that we don't have a bad reputation because "some extremists/groomers gave us all a bad name"- we have a bad reputation because a big chunk of this society is very racist and is taught to have a superiority complex due to empire and colonialism etc and we'd been treated like worthless filth even if we contributed 10 fold to this country more than we got back and even if not a single member of our community got involved in any sort of crime. Young people are too young to remember this, but our parents arrived in this country when "Paki bashing" was a thing- gangs of white thugs going round looking for brown people to beat up to a pulp just for fun. Back then there was no grooming gang scandal, no terrorism connections, literally nothing like that, Asians in general (including Muslims) had a reputation for being hard working and having close knit families yet they were still beaten and sometimes killed. Nowadays we start apologising for criminals in our community as if all of us are at fault or our culture or beliefs are faulty and contributed to the problem and that feeds into the whole Prevent, you-need-surveillance narrative. There's so much more I can say about this but this comment is already getting long.
                    The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by neelu View Post
                      Re: the problem with bus seats in some Muslim countries

                      One of my teenage school friends was in Pakistan with her mum on holiday. One time she said they were on a bus and she could feel someone from the seat behind trying to reach his hand on to her seat from the side to grope her. She said she grabbed that hand and clawed it as much as she could, digging her nails in. When he got up to get off the bus, she saw him walk towards the bus exit, then turn to her and kiss his hand- ewwwwwwww!



                      No. One of my friends is a hijabi convert in Derby and on more than one occasion she says cars have sped up trying to hit her whilst she crossed the road and that's in recent years. Ever since the Bosnia genocide in the 90s, I've always been wary of the fact that they were people who integrated, assimilated, intermarried and blended in with mainstream kufr society yet they were still slaughtered for no other reason than they said Allah is our Lord. People said the soldiers attacking them were their colleagues and people they sat next to in school. Most of our community have a false sense of security that if you get on with your non Muslim colleagues and show a nice smiley polite face of Islam, then it'll shield you from those attacks and it simply isn't true... that's more of a colonised mindset of wanting to be accepted by the host nation by being sycophantic.

                      Don't get me wrong, I do think I live in a very good and diverse neighbourhood. My next door neighbours on both sides are non Muslims and we get on well with them and they're really good. People are used to seeing hijabis in the street so they don't stare or show hostility- for some non Muslims the reason is their tolerance and being used to growing up seeing this (ie they are genuinely accepting of difference) and for some, they are tolerant because they know a lot of Muslims live here and if they cause trouble for a sister, her brothers and cousins can give him a good beating. Yes I know it's not a good thing to have violent thugs in our community, but actually you don't realise how you take it for granted that in some cases, Muslims are not harassed due to their presence. Also I say I live in a good neighbourhood and I do feel (relatively) safe here, but I also know if I travel 4 miles north or south of here it's a very different story and those neighbourhoods are more hostile. In fact, one of the old forum brothers (Truepath) moved to my town years ago and lived about 4 miles away from me. He complained that the locals were racist and hostile so I told him to move to my neighbourhood and he found a house 5-10 mins walk from my place and he felt much more at ease here and didn't experience such problems at all here.

                      I learned a lot from living up north in the 90s as a student, cos I was living in a white working class town that was quite hostile. So nowadays people make a big deal about being sworn at in the street etc but to me that's old news cos I experienced a lot of that over there. I learned that we don't have a bad reputation because "some extremists/groomers gave us all a bad name"- we have a bad reputation because a big chunk of this society is very racist and is taught to have a superiority complex due to empire and colonialism etc and we'd been treated like worthless filth even if we contributed 10 fold to this country more than we got back and even if not a single member of our community got involved in any sort of crime. Young people are too young to remember this, but our parents arrived in this country when "Paki bashing" was a thing- gangs of white thugs going round looking for brown people to beat up to a pulp just for fun. Back then there was no grooming gang scandal, no terrorism connections, literally nothing like that, Asians in general (including Muslims) had a reputation for being hard working and having close knit families yet they were still beaten and sometimes killed. Nowadays we start apologising for criminals in our community as if all of us are at fault or our culture or beliefs are faulty and contributed to the problem and that feeds into the whole Prevent, you-need-surveillance narrative. There's so much more I can say about this but this comment is already getting long.
                      You can talk about it for as long as you would like to, this was actually a very interesting read. Jazkallah khair.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I think where you live in the UK makes a big difference too. My family to a certain extent lives in a bubble, and that is by purposeful choice. PREVENT also is not legislated all over either, it doesn't exist in Northern Ireland and only very recently was introduced in Scotland.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by aelmo View Post
                          You hear a lot of things about this from around the world. Recently there seems to be a lot more incidents happening in Canada with that family being killed and recently a mother and child where threatened and harassed by someone and the guy ended up being arrested for it.

                          I just wonder for most of you who live in the west, how safe do you feel? And how often do you experience any islamophobic comments or actions from people, if you do?
                          Physically safe? Yes. Morally/religiously confident for my future generations? Not really. Although it also depends on where you live to a large extent. Islamophobic violence is practically unheard of in Ontario and esspecially across the GTA. Most of these incidences seem to place in Quebec and the Western provinces of Canada. The worst thing I have personally experienced was being given the middle finger by someone who was driving by, but I don't really look like a typical Muslim in this area and that day I just happened to be wearing a Kufi after Jummu'ah.

                          It also goes without saying that living in a Muslim country would generally be safer for practicing Muslims than Kaafir countries. There are countless numbers of Niqabis who have testified to this reality after making Hijrah or visiting the East. Outward religiosity is not something strange in Muslim countries, but there will always be cultural hostility towards Islam in the West even if it is relatively implicit at times.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by AmantuBillahi View Post

                            Physically safe? Yes. Morally/religiously confident for my future generations? Not really. Although it also depends on where you live to a large extent. Islamophobic violence is practically unheard of in Ontario and esspecially across the GTA. Most of these incidences seem to place in Quebec and the Western provinces of Canada. The worst thing I have personally experienced was being given the middle finger by someone who was driving by, but I don't really look like a typical Muslim in this area and that day I just happened to be wearing a Kufi after Jummu'ah.

                            It also goes without saying that living in a Muslim country would generally be safer for practicing Muslims than Kaafir countries. There are countless numbers of Niqabis who have testified to this reality after making Hijrah or visiting the East. Outward religiosity is not something strange in Muslim countries, but there will always be cultural hostility towards Islam in the West even if it is relatively implicit at times.
                            Actually both of the incidents I mentioned were in Ontario and the second was in the GTA. When I was younger I went to an islamic school in Canada and one day somebody threw a homemade bomb through one of the windows during the night. It didn't cause that much damage but still to see that someone could do something like that is terrifying. But even with that being said I agree that its worse in Quebec. I don't know if you remember the incident a couple years ago where that guy went into a mosque and killed a bunch of people as they were praying.

                            My brother is going to start school there now and I feel kind of bad about saying this but I am very happy that he looks like a basic white boy. I will say though that I do have a lot of fear and am very cautious because I have lived a very guarded life in the Middle East but putting that aside for a second, people in Canada are usually friendlier and more accepting then other places I have been too. I am just very on guard because you really never know who the black sheep is in the crowd.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              I live in an area with lots of people from my own ethnicity, who are also visibly muslim. I tend not to go to areas where they are not used to us as that would make me uncomfortable. I feel afraid to go out after terrorist events. Usually I feel safe in the part of London that I live in. Today I had to deal with a creep but in muslim countries I've heard so much from other people about pervs everywhere. When I went to Bangladesh the men stared and some followed. At the airport some male workers in uniform tried to pretend there was an issue with my passport and then made fun of my name, I think they wanted a reaction so they could have reason to take me away. It was humiliating and scary. As a woman it's better in the west, but as a muslim woman you will have to take crap.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by aelmo View Post

                                Actually both of the incidents I mentioned were in Ontario and the second was in the GTA. When I was younger I went to an islamic school in Canada and one day somebody threw a homemade bomb through one of the windows during the night. It didn't cause that much damage but still to see that someone could do something like that is terrifying. But even with that being said I agree that its worse in Quebec. I don't know if you remember the incident a couple years ago where that guy went into a mosque and killed a bunch of people as they were praying.

                                My brother is going to start school there now and I feel kind of bad about saying this but I am very happy that he looks like a basic white boy. I will say though that I do have a lot of fear and am very cautious because I have lived a very guarded life in the Middle East but putting that aside for a second, people in Canada are usually friendlier and more accepting then other places I have been too. I am just very on guard because you really never know who the black sheep is in the crowd.
                                Oh yes. It looks like the family that was recently killed were from London, Ontario. Anyway, I don't really think that overt Islamophobic incidents are taking place at a high rate esspecially in Toronto, Scarborough, Mississauga or Brampton. The population of Muslims are reasonably high in those areas and the white Canadians have become accustomed to multiculturalism in general.

                                Again, it really depends on the area you live. Your brother shouldn't have much of a problem anywhere Canada if he has white complexion, but praying in public might be an issue for him depending on the region. I personally wouldn't like to live anywhere outside of the cities mentioned above if I had female family members who were practicing.

                                Comment

                                Collapse

                                Edit this module to specify a template to display.

                                Working...
                                X