Do you feel safe living in the west?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you feel safe living in the west?

You hear a lot of things about this from around the world. Recently there seems to be a lot more incidents happening in Canada with that family being killed and recently a mother and child where threatened and harassed by someone and the guy ended up being arrested for it.

I just wonder for most of you who live in the west, how safe do you feel? And how often do you experience any islamophobic comments or actions from people, if you do?

Safe....? I guess it would be different for men and women.
    Even kuffaar women have been speaking out a lot in recent times about how unsafe they feel on the streets as women.

For myself, I recite the du'aa when leaving the home and leave my safety in the hands of the One in control... Whatever happens will happen.

I don't think I've ever felt unsafe, even when the whole September 11 business began. You feel the hate, though, sometimes - the animosity, the negativity. For myself, I've never felt as though I belong here, and I definitely don't feel like I belong in Bangladesh.... Just stuck in limbo till my time comes to leave.

Someone I spoke to the other day told me "you've got to lay down your routes somewhere, though."

Lay down your routes.
    Such a powerful expression.

It was a seriously jarring thought - having generations of children growing up in Western culture and the ever-growing distortion and curruption of the most basic values we have as Muslims, all being rammed down our throats by the government till we accept and even have to celebrate it all.
    ​​NOTE: Please kindly avoid 'liking' my posts. Thank you! (Jazaa'akumullah khair)

Comment

Ps. If you are Muslim and have a Muslim name, you almost certainly will be treated differently than if you aren't / don't, moreso by far if you are also very visibly a Muslim and a practicing one.

It's to be expected, though. Nothing new. Always been the case.
      ​​NOTE: Please kindly avoid 'liking' my posts. Thank you! (Jazaa'akumullah khair)

Comment

I lived in the Middle East most of my life but every time I had to live in Canada I had a fear of being attacked.

I've heard comments but nothing too bad but I was still scared that any random person would pop up and take off my hijab or worse.

The recent events just confirmed my belief that these types of people were always there and I was right to worry.

Comment

Honestly I hate to admit this but I feel safer in the West than I did in Arab countries. Yes like an above poster said there's always an underlying feeling of you not being the same like the kuffar, but I don't really have an issue with that. In saying that we pick our areas very carefully, we tend to choose very middle class areas as the crime, overt racism and anti social behaviour is much lower. We've lived briefly in a few cities with Muslim areas and sadly it was grim.

Comment

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmmm

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
            https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/lo...-qur-an-courseI am just a simple nomad.

Ephemeral reader

Comment

Originally posted by UmmAbdullah86 View Post
              Honestly I hate to admit this but I feel safer in the West than I did in Arab countries. Yes like an above poster said there's always an underlying feeling of you not being the same like the kuffar, but I don't really have an issue with that. In saying that we pick our areas very carefully, we tend to choose very middle class areas as the crime, overt racism and anti social behaviour is much lower. We've lived briefly in a few cities with Muslim areas and sadly it was grim.
              You feel safer being a Muslim in the west then an actual Muslim country? Thats very interesting.

Comment

I’m more so talking about how safe you feel being a Muslim

Comment

Originally posted by aelmo View Post

You feel safer being a Muslim in the west then an actual Muslim country? Thats very interesting.
                  Yes, and as I say I admit that reluctantly. I should add though that when we lived in Arab countries generally speaking we didn't live in the equivalent nice areas that we do in the West. I was very scared for my children, there was always talk about children being sexually abused by other children in the streets and boys in the school being sodomized by other boys. My family spoke about these things as if it was something to be expected. I remember picking my daughters up from primary school and there were always the same crowd of boys standing at the walls eyeing up the girls. You can't be complacent anywhere obviously, but generally I don't think much about these things here. I do have other concerns though obviously.
                  I have to say as an adult although I've felt wary after certain World events I've never felt unsafe per se.

Comment

Yes, and as I say I admit that reluctantly. I should add though that when we lived in Arab countries generally speaking we didn't live in the equivalent nice areas that we do in the West. I was very scared for my children, there was always talk about children being sexually abused by other children in the streets and boys in the school being sodomized by other boys. My family spoke about these things as if it was something to be expected. I remember picking my daughters up from primary school and there were always the same crowd of boys standing at the walls eyeing up the girls. You can't be complacent anywhere obviously, but generally I don't think much about these things here. I do have other concerns though obviously.
                    I have to say as an adult although I've felt wary after certain World events I've never felt unsafe per se.
                    A lot of Arab countries in general aren’t very safe. I feel safe here to live and practice Islam though.

So has anyone in an Arab country ever attacked or harassed you for being Muslim when you lived there?

Comment

Originally posted by aelmo View Post

A lot of Arab countries in general aren’t very safe. I feel safe here to live and practice Islam though.

So has anyone in an Arab country ever attacked or harassed you for being Muslim when you lived there?
                      Not attacked, no, but leered at in the street. When people realized I'm from the west unfortunately many felt that was synonymous with me being a 'loose woman' subhanAllah. A good friend of mine (who is very practising) said men used to put their hands around the bus seat to feel up her rear end when they heard her speaking English to her children.

​​​​​​

Comment

[QUOTE=UmmAbdullah86;n12788324]

Not attacked, no, but leered at in the street. When people realized I'm from the west unfortunately many felt that was synonymous with me being a 'loose woman' subhanAllah. A good friend of mine (who is very practising) said men used to put their hands around the bus seat to feel up her rear end when they heard her speaking English to her children.

​​​​​ETA: in some ways I feel practising the Deen is more respected in the UK than in some countries I've been to. Eg in Jordan I remember going to the school to ask for a place for my daughters to pray in at lunch time. The headteacher was very angry, saying this is a school, not a mosque and to pray at home. I came away feeling like I was some sort of extremist or something. In the UK I've found schools to be so accommodating alhamdulillah in this respect.

Comment

Originally posted by Fakhri-bin-Ali View Post

Lay down your routes.
                          Such a powerful expression.
                          Use Google maps for this?

Comment

No wonder most Arab countries are buggered..if you'll pardon the pun.

But seriously this seems ingrained in the culture..disgusting. Is this because they don't have access to women? I'm aware this goes on in western all boys boarding schools which explains why the upper classes are messed up, but if your average Arab kid is having to go through that, then no wonder they are a nation of deviants.

Comment

​​​​​​
                              A coworker I had from Egypt said that that has happened to her there too. I'm sure it happens in Lebenon too but I didn't particularly have any experiences like that when I lived there.

Here in the UAE its kind of like if you don't look for trouble then trouble won't look for you. I personally feel very safe here to live and be a muslim even though yes I know there are also alot of things that are very unfair here. In Canada I always felt so much stress about everything. Going out, buying food, buying clothes, people. Literally everything. I would never ever go out at night in Canada even if someone was with me. But also the constant fear I had of being discriminated against because of my religion never made me accept living in Canada. In general it was fine but every now and then you would get some weirdo saying something about my hijab and that would break the illusion I would have when things were good and it made me see that I will always be an outsider to them and I cannot accept to live in a place that doesn't accept the most important thing in my life.

I'm glad you are happier in the UK though. I think I am just too stubborn to be able to look past the comments I would hear from time to time to be able to live in a none muslim country lol.

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X