Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Things you didn't know were haram....

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Things you didn't know were haram....

    So, I don't know where I have been, but I just learned that cutting the hair on the sides of your head shorter than the hair on the top is forbidden. I heard about it before, but I thought it was talking about clean shaving the sides and leaving a patch of hair on the top like some Asian monks do, but I came across this fatwa that even just shortening the hair on the sides is forbidden.

    So, for the sake of our brothers and sisters, post something you thought was okay, but turned out was haram. Inshallah it would help us avoid displeasing Allah.

  • #2
    Dairy milk chocolate yoghurt pots are haraam. I had about 3 before I realised.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by The Prince View Post
      Dairy milk chocolate yoghurt pots are haraam. I had about 3 before I realised.
      We don't have that in my area, but yea, I looked it up and they have gelatin. On that note, lots of stuff I ate as a kid has gelatin, such as skittles and starbursts.

      You can switch to chocolate pudding. The Godiva pudding mixes are pretty good. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Godiva-Ch...-Box/519446557

      Comment


      • #4
        I just got a haircut and got a bad vibe regarding the same issue you talked about, turns out it shouldn't have been cut like that ;-;

        To think off the top of my head.

        Music
        Pretty much all anime/most games
        Being friends with non-Muslims
        Living in a kafir country



        "When you want to cry, laugh.
        If you're frozen in fear, you can't do anything"

        Comment


        • #5
          *settling in a kafir country
          "When you want to cry, laugh.
          If you're frozen in fear, you can't do anything"

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Abisali View Post
            So, I don't know where I have been, but I just learned that cutting the hair on the sides of your head shorter than the hair on the top is forbidden. I heard about it before, but I thought it was talking about clean shaving the sides and leaving a patch of hair on the top like some Asian monks do, but I came across this fatwa that even just shortening the hair on the sides is forbidden.

            So, for the sake of our brothers and sisters, post something you thought was okay, but turned out was haram. Inshallah it would help us avoid displeasing Allah.
            Salamun 'alaykum,

            the above website (i.e. "islamqa") is not a reliable one - no matter how many in the West unfortunately trust it - and does not give its Fatawa according to a specific Madhhab or upon clear defined Usul. This means that one is left to the desires of the administrators of the website.
            They love to exaggerate on minor issues (like the issue you mentioned), while at the same time making catastrophic statements on major issues of the religion (example: their claim that "there is some similarity..." or "there maybe some similarity..." [between the Creator and the creation] (see HERE and HERE), which is the statement of the Zanadiqa).

            Regarding the issue of Qaz', then this is what is mentioned in the Shafi'i Fiqh book al-Majmu' 1/295 (by Imam al-Nawawi (d. 676 AH):

            يُكْرَهُ الْقَزَعُ وَهُوَ حَلْقُ بَعْضِ الرأس لحديث بن عُمَرَ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُمَا فِي الصَّحِيحَيْنِ قَالَ نَهَى رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ عَنْ الْقَزَعِ
            - end if quote -

            So he mentioned that it's disliked and he defined it as shaving a part of the head [without the rest]. So this ruling applies for shaving and not simple shortening.
            Qaz' being disliked is also the statement of the Hanabila as far as I know.

            You can also listen to this short video by the Shaykh Sayf 'Ali al-'Asri [al-Shafi'i], where he mentions the issue of Qaz' - which as already mentioned is SHAVING a part of the head without the rest (and not simply shortening it) - and mentions that the position of the Jumhur (majority) [of the classical Fuqaha`] is that it's disliked and not forbidden (which means that the position of it being forbidden also exists):

            Comment


            • #7
              Sprinkling salt to absorb bad energies

              Comment


              • #8
                And also sneezing and thinking.someome.out there is thinking about you and ears burning and thinking.some.one is talking about you.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Abu Sulayman View Post

                  Salamun 'alaykum,

                  the above website (i.e. "islamqa") is not a reliable one - no matter how many in the West unfortunately trust it - and does not give its Fatawa according to a specific Madhhab or upon clear defined Usul. This means that one is left to the desires of the administrators of the website.
                  They love to exaggerate on minor issues (like the issue you mentioned), while at the same time making catastrophic statements on major issues of the religion (example: their claim that "there is some similarity..." or "there maybe some similarity..." [between the Creator and the creation] (see HERE and HERE), which is the statement of the Zanadiqa).

                  Regarding the issue of Qaz', then this is what is mentioned in the Shafi'i Fiqh book al-Majmu' 1/295 (by Imam al-Nawawi (d. 676 AH):

                  يُكْرَهُ الْقَزَعُ وَهُوَ حَلْقُ بَعْضِ الرأس لحديث بن عُمَرَ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُمَا فِي الصَّحِيحَيْنِ قَالَ نَهَى رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ عَنْ الْقَزَعِ
                  - end if quote -

                  So he mentioned that it's disliked and he defined it as shaving a part of the head [without the rest]. So this ruling applies for shaving and not simple shortening.
                  Qaz' being disliked is also the statement of the Hanabila as far as I know.

                  You can also listen to this short video by the Shaykh Sayf 'Ali al-'Asri [al-Shafi'i], where he mentions the issue of Qaz' - which as already mentioned is SHAVING a part of the head without the rest (and not simply shortening it) - and mentions that the position of the Jumhur (majority) [of the classical Fuqaha`] is that it's disliked and not forbidden (which means that the position of it being forbidden also exists):



                  Thank you for your response. I understand how Islamqa isn't the most reliable site there is, but it is the best we have. I have read some suspicious fatwas from them, such as them allowing alcohol in small amounts if it is used for Vanilla, while they forbid the use of small amounts of the spice nutmeg. So for things like that, I just avoid using them altogether since it is better to be safe than sorry, and there is no loss if I don't consume them. It's just convenient to use their sites, especially since they usually provide their sources.

                  Thank you for the clarification on hair cuts, I was ready to make my big head to look even bigger by getting a buzz cut all around. I always thought the ruling only applied to shaving, not shortening.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Abisali View Post


                    Thank you for your response. I understand how Islamqa isn't the most reliable site there is, but it is the best we have. I have read some suspicious fatwas from them, such as them allowing alcohol in small amounts if it is used for Vanilla, while they forbid the use of small amounts of the spice nutmeg. So for things like that, I just avoid using them altogether since it is better to be safe than sorry, and there is no loss if I don't consume them. It's just convenient to use their sites, especially since they usually provide their sources.
                    I understand what you mean. On a general note: If classical sources / scholars are used, then usually their Fatawa are okay (except if they take their statements out of context).
                    If you however see a Fatwa were they ONLY refer to modern personalities (basically everyone from the last 250 years), then you should be suspicious. Likewise is the case when they refer ONLY to controversial classical scholars (and I'm specifically intending scholars like Ibn Hazm (d. 456 AH) and Ibn Taymiyya (d. 728 AH); Ibn 'Arabi (d. 638 AH) also falls into this category, but they don't refer to him anyways). In these cases recheck other sources also and see what the rest of classical scholars have stated. You'll be surprised to see the results in some of these cases.

                    Originally posted by Abisali View Post
                    Thank you for the clarification on hair cuts, I was ready to make my big head to look even bigger by getting a buzz cut all around. I always thought the ruling only applied to shaving, not shortening.
                    You made me laugh brother. Don't have such a negative image of yourself. :-)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I personally don't really rely on English websites, but here is another website:
                      Dar al-Ifta` al-Misriyya (it can be set to different languages): https://www.dar-alifta.org/Foreign/d...angID=2&Home=1

                      But whatever site you take Fatawa from, never deactivate your brain.

                      For those who understand Arabic, then the Shaykh Sayf 'Ali al-'Asri is very reliable, because his Fatawa are in line with the Shafi'i Madhhab and he does not support any abnormal or modernist positions.


                      There is another thing here: The major issues that are really forbidden are known to basically everyone. If we would simply abstain from these forbidden things and fulfill our obligations, then this would make us much better persons.
                      As for these minor issues, then if you recheck the sources you will see that they're usually disagreed upon and in many cases the majority of the classical scholars don't even regard it as forbidden in the first place.
                      So I would say that we should all put our focus on the clear and major issues, because I believe that these minor issues will just divert you from concentrating on what is really important.
                      Wallahu a'lam.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Abu Sulayman View Post

                        I understand what you mean. On a general note: If classical sources / scholars are used, then usually their Fatawa are okay (except if they take their statements out of context).
                        If you however see a Fatwa were they ONLY refer to modern personalities (basically everyone from the last 250 years), then you should be suspicious. Likewise is the case when they refer ONLY to controversial classical scholars (and I'm specifically intending scholars like Ibn Hazm (d. 456 AH) and Ibn Taymiyya (d. 728 AH); Ibn 'Arabi (d. 638 AH) also falls into this category, but they don't refer to him anyways). In these cases recheck other sources also and see what the rest of classical scholars have stated. You'll be surprised to see the results in some of these cases.



                        You made me laugh brother. Don't have such a negative image of yourself. :-)
                        Mission accomplished. I try not to view myself in a negative light, but being pessimistic about myself helps guard me from pride. I just need to find a good balance.

                        Anyways, I am not really what you call "book smart". I don't consider myself stupid, it's just when it comes to learning anything, I find it very difficult if it isn't "hands on". I am pretty sure I have ADHD and should probably be on medication, but my parents never took notice (didn't care) when I was younger and so I struggled. Now that I'm an old fart (mid 30's), I am hesitant to get tested since I hate doctors appointments, that and I'm poor so it's difficult to afford them in the first place. So when I do try to learn something when it comes to Islam, I kind of have to rely on Western Scholars, but I make sure to take a grain (more like a cup) of salt with what I learn from them and make a decision for myself. And if I have even an ounce of doubt on whether or not something is haram, I just prefer to avoid it.

                        I know enough about the subjects that the Western Scholars don't discuss, such as Hijrah, Jihad and fighting for Allah, how not to take Kuffar as friends, how not to promote homosexuality (which is sad that some of the scholars that I liked have partnered with them in some things), and the such, so I don't listen to anything they say on those topics, even though they barely discuss them.

                        And as you mentioned, I focus on doing my basic obligations these days, and try to abstain from the major forbidden things, and am, inshallah, trying to weed out the smaller things from my life. These days, I don't have very many issues that I need to ask about, I just need to do extra good deeds and read more Quran and Islamic books.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Abu Sulayman View Post

                          Salamun 'alaykum,

                          the above website (i.e. "islamqa") is not a reliable one - no matter how many in the West unfortunately trust it - and does not give its Fatawa according to a specific Madhhab or upon clear defined Usul. This means that one is left to the desires of the administrators of the website.
                          They love to exaggerate on minor issues (like the issue you mentioned), while at the same time making catastrophic statements on major issues of the religion (example: their claim that "there is some similarity..." or "there maybe some similarity..." [between the Creator and the creation] (see HERE and HERE), which is the statement of the Zanadiqa).

                          Regarding the issue of Qaz', then this is what is mentioned in the Shafi'i Fiqh book al-Majmu' 1/295 (by Imam al-Nawawi (d. 676 AH):

                          يُكْرَهُ الْقَزَعُ وَهُوَ حَلْقُ بَعْضِ الرأس لحديث بن عُمَرَ رَضِيَ اللَّهُ عَنْهُمَا فِي الصَّحِيحَيْنِ قَالَ نَهَى رَسُولُ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ عَنْ الْقَزَعِ
                          - end if quote -

                          So he mentioned that it's disliked and he defined it as shaving a part of the head [without the rest]. So this ruling applies for shaving and not simple shortening.
                          Qaz' being disliked is also the statement of the Hanabila as far as I know.

                          You can also listen to this short video by the Shaykh Sayf 'Ali al-'Asri [al-Shafi'i], where he mentions the issue of Qaz' - which as already mentioned is SHAVING a part of the head without the rest (and not simply shortening it) - and mentions that the position of the Jumhur (majority) [of the classical Fuqaha`] is that it's disliked and not forbidden (which means that the position of it being forbidden also exists):

                          do you have anything regarding the hanafi madhab regarding this issue by chance?
                          "When you want to cry, laugh.
                          If you're frozen in fear, you can't do anything"

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Bolt View Post

                            do you have anything regarding the hanafi madhab regarding this issue by chance?
                            This is from al-Fatawa al-Hindiyya 5/357:

                            يُكْرَهُ الْقَزَعُ وَهُوَ أَنْ يَحْلِقَ الْبَعْضَ وَيَتْرُكَ الْبَعْضَ قَطْعًا مِقْدَارَ ثَلَاثَةِ أَصَابِعَ كَذَا فِي الْغَرَائِبِ
                            - end of quote -

                            And this from al-Durr al-Mukhtar [with commentary Radd al-Muhtar] 6/407:

                            وَيُكْرَهُ الْقَزَعُ وَهُوَ أَنْ يَحْلِقَ الْبَعْضَ وَيَتْرُكَ الْبَعْضَ قَطْعًا مِقْدَارَ ثَلَاثَةِ أَصَابِعَ كَذَا فِي الْغَرَائِبِ
                            - end of quote -

                            So they also say that al-Qaz' - which is to shave one part [of the head] and leaving another part - is disliked. (I don't know whether by "disliked" they intend makruh tahriman (which makes it nearer to haram) or just tanzihan, so to be sure you would need to refer to a Hanafi scholar.).

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Abisali View Post
                              I know enough about the subjects that the Western Scholars don't discuss, such as Hijrah, Jihad and fighting for Allah, how not to take Kuffar as friends, how not to promote homosexuality (which is sad that some of the scholars that I liked have partnered with them in some things), and the such, so I don't listen to anything they say on those topics, even though they barely discuss them.
                              You're right in doing so. The problem is also that in a lot of these issues exaggerations happen not just in one direction, but into BOTH directions.
                              J!had is a prime example and this does not just apply to the West, but to Muslim countries also where the effects are seen in reality (unlike the West where it's just theoretical talk):

                              When some Muslim countries got invaded by disbelievers in our lifetime some acted as if defending oneself against these invaders is already "terrorism" (as if these terrorist invaders have a right to be in our countries!), while others went into the complete other extreme and started justifying killing non-fighters and even fellow Muslims for all kind of idiotic reasons.
                              In 'Iraq this went to such a degree that even Mashayikh and Khutaba` were slaughtered and Masajid were blown up. One famous example is when the the Shaykh Hamza al-'Isawi - the Mufti of Falluja - was killed in 2005 after the 'Isha` prayer while leaving the Masjid.
                              At the same time there were a lot of people allying themselves with the invaders - for money of course - and helping them in their oppression.
                              Wallahul musta'an!

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X