Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is Sarcasm Halal?

Here is a social media dialogue.
    My friend: Hey what are you doing online its 3 am! You should sleep!
    Me: Nothing much in fact I just woke up :D\
    My friend: That's bad just sleep "angry emoji"
    Me: Okay boss Imma sleep right away for no reason bye>>>

*I don't actually sleep.*

I just dont' wanna be awkward and I want to simply continue the flow of the conversation. So is that alright? Am I being hysterical? I would not normally think this way but I heard that even in jokes you shouldn't lie so I want to be certain.

Originally posted by RED ICON View Post

I just dont' wanna be awkward and I want to simply continue the flow of the conversation. So is that alright? Am I being hysterical? I would not normally think this way but I heard that even in jokes you shouldn't lie so I want to be certain.
    Think you should avoid speaking like that. Unless you can italacize part of the text to make it obvious.

Here's a link to an article on it [LINK REMOVED - AA] (fair warning, I think it is a Shia site).
    Last edited by Abu 'Abdullaah; 14-09-20, 07:58 AM.
    "When you want to cry, laugh.
    If you're frozen in fear, you can't do anything"

Comment

Originally posted by Bolt View Post

Think you should avoid speaking like that. Unless you can italacize part of the text to make it obvious.

Here's a link to an article on it [LINK REMOVED - AA] (fair warning, I think it is a Shia site).
      That's 100 percent shia site bro... Getting hadith from them is like downloading a file from a malicious email. They are both going to be corrupted....
      Need good sources from islamqa or something. If they are not present someone should make them. You know the more you think about it fatwas or rulings from scholars regarding modern problems are lacking. Stuff like this makes me want to be a scholar so that I may do everyone a favor.
      I will take that advice though. Making sure the other person clearly knows it was sarcasm seems harmless enough to me. Jazakallah.
      Last edited by Abu 'Abdullaah; 14-09-20, 07:59 AM.

Comment

What do you know, corrupting files have nothing to do with hackers. I really need to be up to date on these things

Comment

That's 100 percent shia site bro... Getting hadith from them is like downloading a file from a malicious email. They are both going to be corrupted....
          Need good sources from islamqa or something. If they are not present someone should make them. You know the more you think about it fatwas or rulings from scholars regarding modern problems are lacking. Stuff like this makes me want to be a scholar so that I may do everyone a favor.
          I will take that advice though. Making sure the other person clearly knows it was sarcasm seems harmless enough to me. Jazakallah.
          Yeah
          I remember reading a post on islamQA about lying on April fool's and they said that it was prohibited; the evidence seems to point in the direction of avoiding that if it involved lying. Would think that exaggerated expressions that no one would believe in would be fine; but the question would be better addressed @ islamQA since there's actually no Fatwa that shows up if you type sarcasm.

Comment

Yeah
            I remember reading a post on islamQA about lying on April fool's and they said that it was prohibited; the evidence seems to point in the direction of avoiding that if it involved lying. Would think that exaggerated expressions that no one would believe in would be fine; but the question would be better addressed @ islamQA since there's actually no Fatwa that shows up if you type sarcasm.
            Okay! This is a close example. I can work with this. I think I have a good idea on how to deal with sarcasm now.

Comment

...(fair warning, I think it is a Shia site).
              Is there something wrong with you?

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post

Is there something wrong with you?
                what
                I don't have anything against them but other people ;-;

Comment

what
                  I don't have anything against them but other people ;-;
                  Eh?

Comment

Eh?
                    idk man just tell me what i did wrong so I can move on already.

Comment

idk man just tell me what i did wrong so I can move on already.
                      You linked to a Shia site.

-_-

Comment

You linked to a Shia site.

-_-
                        I wasn't sure
                        okay.
                        ​​​​​​

Comment

Ask https://www.assimalhakeem.net/ask-a-question/

Comment

Depends on the context. But sarcasm is also bullying. Remember studying its psychological impact at a-level.
                            And whatever you have of favor - it is from Allah. Then when adversity touches you, to Him you cry for help

[an-Nahl 16:53].

Comment

Can't imagine why it would not be halal.

Comment

Working...
                              X