Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Favourite books to read

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Favourite books to read

    I'm looking to get back into reading so creating a book list, this doesnt necessarily have to be religious books.

    Any recommendations are welcome
    thank you

  • #2
    Currently reading Angels and Demons, by Dan Brown.

    Comment


    • #3
      The little prince.

      This is a kids book and you probably won't like it but its very sweet.

      I only mention it because I love it.

      Comment


      • #4
        The classics are good to get yourself into reading.

        Wuthering Heights, Frankenstein, Catch-22, 1984, Of Mice and Men, Hamlet.

        Comment


        • #5
          What sort of books do you like? Fact or Fiction? Historical or Speculative? Autobiographies are good to get a start into reading.

          If there is someone you want to know more about get their autobiography. You will already have an interest in what the book is about.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by ikami nacho View Post
            The classics are good to get yourself into reading.

            Wuthering Heights, Frankenstein, Catch-22, 1984, Of Mice and Men, Hamlet.
            Catcher In the Rye by J.D Sallinger, Grapes of wrath John Steinbeck, Lord of the Flies William Golding, The Alchemist Paulo Coelho, Rumi's Daughter Muriel Muafroy.

            I used to be a real bookworm when i was younger
            'If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]'

            Surah Ibrahim (14:7)

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by detached soul View Post

              Catcher In the Rye by J.D Sallinger, Grapes of wrath John Steinbeck, Lord of the Flies William Golding, The Alchemist Paulo Coelho, Rumi's Daughter Muriel Muafroy.

              I used to be a real bookworm when i was younger
              The Catcher in the Rye. One of my top 10 novels.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Morose View Post

                The Catcher in the Rye. One of my top 10 novels.
                You "phony" Morose. I love that book, i absolutely Love it. Could really relate to it!

                What other classics have you read?
                'If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]'

                Surah Ibrahim (14:7)

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by detached soul View Post

                  Catcher In the Rye by J.D Sallinger, Grapes of wrath John Steinbeck, Lord of the Flies William Golding, The Alchemist Paulo Coelho, Rumi's Daughter Muriel Muafroy.

                  I used to be a real bookworm when i was younger
                  I'm reading the Alchemist now!

                  So far I really like it.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by detached soul View Post

                    You "phony" Morose. I love that book, i absolutely Love it. Could really relate to it!

                    What other classics have you read?
                    Well, I don’t read books because they are “classics”, but my all time top 10:

                    1) Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre & David Copperfield (tied)
                    2) The Woman in White
                    3) The Monk
                    4) Dracula
                    5) The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
                    6) The Tenant of Widefell Hall
                    7) East Lynne and Lady Audley’s Secret (tied)
                    8) The Moonstone
                    9) The Catcher in the Rye and The Collector (tied)
                    10) Frankenstein

                    How about yours?

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Morose View Post

                      Well, I don’t read books because they are “classics”, but my all time top 10:

                      1) Wuthering Heights, Jane Eyre & David Copperfield (tied)
                      2) The Woman in White
                      3) The Monk
                      4) Dracula
                      5) The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde
                      6) The Tenant of Widefell Hall
                      7) East Lynne and Lady Audley’s Secret (tied)
                      8) The Moonstone
                      9) The Catcher in the Rye and The Collector (tied)
                      10) Frankenstein

                      How about yours?
                      My all time top ten would be:

                      1. Wuthering Heights
                      2. Jane Eyre
                      3. Grapes of wrath
                      4. Of mice and men.
                      5. Heart of darkness Joseph Conrad.
                      6. Moby dick Herman Melville.
                      7. Nineteen Eighty Four George Orwell.
                      8. Catcher in the Rye J.D Sallinger.
                      9.The Lovely Bones Alice Sebold.
                      10. Alchemist. Paulo Coelho.
                      'If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]'

                      Surah Ibrahim (14:7)

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by aelmo View Post

                        I'm reading the Alchemist now!

                        So far I really like it.
                        I loved it. I kept on reading it over and over again. Just to make sure that i understood it properly!

                        A lot of wisdom and life ideology's in that book.
                        'If you are grateful, I will surely increase you [in favor]'

                        Surah Ibrahim (14:7)

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by detached soul View Post

                          My all time top ten would be:

                          1. Wuthering Heights
                          2. Jane Eyre
                          3. Grapes of wrath
                          4. Of mice and men.
                          5. Heart of darkness Joseph Conrad.
                          6. Moby dick Herman Melville.
                          7. Nineteen Eighty Four George Orwell.
                          8. Catcher in the Rye J.D Sallinger.
                          9.The Lovely Bones Alice Sebold.
                          10. Alchemist. Paulo Coelho.
                          Wuthering Heights! Yes! I must say, the Brontë sisters had a gift for narrative, but more extraordinary was their perception and understanding of human behaviour.

                          I like Of Mice and Men too; I have not read the book, but I know the story and it is very sad.

                          Joseph Conrad, another excellent writer. Have you read The Secret Agent?

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Though by no means a favourite, I did like To Kill a Mockingbird. I suppose it was the cosy setting, the innocence of the narrative (though very grave themes), and the character of Atticus that made it quite an impressionable read.

                            Great Expectations is another excellent piece of work, though I did not find it pleasing. I quite hated the character of Pip. I think it is when Joe went to meet him in London, and how he received him, despite how he was looked after by Joe, that earned my disgust. And when I hate the main character of the piece, I somehow resent the entire story.

                            Tess of the D’urbevilles - that truly deserves to be called a classic.

                            I am not a fan of literature beyond the mid-twentieth century, simply because I find the language rather coarse and vulgar, but occasionally I do like to engross myself with a cheap detective novel :D

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by detached soul View Post

                              I loved it. I kept on reading it over and over again. Just to make sure that i understood it properly!

                              A lot of wisdom and life ideology's in that book.
                              I prefer books that I can ponder over. Thats why I prefer poetry over a full length book.

                              There is this book called the double hook that is basically a 100 page poem. There is not a single unnecessary word in it so you can pretty much learn something new every time you read it.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X