Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rules regarding eating "non-halal" food

Assalamu alaikum,
    I live in a country in Europe and I have a question regarding eating food that is "not halal", in a sense that Allah's name wasn't recited during slaughter. What is the ruling of eating food that has been slaughtered by a Christian in this country? Since it's a country where Christianity is the biggest religion. And all slaughter happens after stunning, bolt gun for some animals and electric shock stunning for other animals. Does saying Bismillah before eating any of that food make it halal?

From what I've understood according to the Quran and hadith is that if it's slaughtered by someone from People of the Book (Jew och Christian), no other God's name was said over it (people here don't say anything at all during slaughter), it was slaughtered by the cutting of the throat (etc.), it is permissible to eat it if you say Bismillah over it.

So what is the ruling on that food? I want sources (quran of hadith) for made claims over the rules in this matter and avoid people guessing or assuming what they think is right or wrong. Allah knows best.

You must determine whether the slaughter was actually carried out by a Christian. There may be a lo of Christians in the country but that has no bearing on the ruling unless it is a requirement in law to slaughter according to Christianity.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu 'Abdullaah View Post
      You must determine whether the slaughter was actually carried out by a Christian. There may be a lo of Christians in the country but that has no bearing on the ruling unless it is a requirement in law to slaughter according to Christianity.
      The slaughter method according to Christianity is cutting the throat, which is how animals are slaughtered here. They're stunned to not feel any pain and then their throats are cut, which eventually kills them. And in the case of uncertainty (whether the slaughterer was a Christian or not), I've understood that it's permissible to eat if you say Bismillah?

Comment

Originally posted by My Name View Post

The slaughter method according to Christianity is cutting the throat, which is how animals are slaughtered here. They're stunned to not feel any pain and then their throats are cut, which eventually kills them. And in the case of uncertainty (whether the slaughterer was a Christian or not), I've understood that it's permissible to eat if you say Bismillah?
        First is the issue of stunning which many regard to be invalid. The second is the saying of 'Bismillah' due to uncertainty which I have heard about but not seen evidence or reasoning for.

Comment

First is the issue of stunning which many regard to be invalid. The second is the saying of 'Bismillah' due to uncertainty which I have heard about but not seen evidence or reasoning for.
          I've tried to find support against stunning an animal in the Quran but haven't. Quran says to make sure that the cutting of the throat is the thing that kills it. But if the animal is killed from the stunning, that would make it harm to eat.

The one about Bismillah is from this hadith:
          Narrated `Aisha: Some people said, O Allah's Apostle! Meat is brought to us by some people and we are not sure whether the name of Allah has been mentioned on it or not (at the time of slaughtering the animals). Allah's Apostle said (to them), Mention the name of Allah and eat it.
          - Sahih Bukhari 35:2057

Comment

I've tried to find support against stunning an animal in the Quran but haven't. Quran says to make sure that the cutting of the throat is the thing that kills it. But if the animal is killed from the stunning, that would make it harm to eat...
            You have to find evidence for it rather than against it.

Comment

You have to find evidence for it rather than against it.
              The Quran explicitly tells us what is forbidden and everything that isn't mentioned in the Quran to be forbidden is permissible.

​​
              "Forbidden to you (for food) are: dead meat, blood, the flesh of swine, and that on which has been invoked the name of other than Allah; that which hath been killed by strangling, or by a violent blow, or by a headlong fall, or by being gored to death; that which hath been (partly) eaten by a wild animal; unless ye are able to slaughter it (in due form); that which is sacrificed on stone (altars); (forbidden) also is the division (of meat) by raffling with arrows: that is impiety. This day have those who reject faith given up all hope of your religion: yet fear them not but fear Me. This day have I perfected your religion for you, completed My favour upon you, and have chosen for you Islam as your religion. But if any is forced by hunger, with no inclination to transgression, Allah is indeed Oft-forgiving, Most Merciful."
              — Qurʼan, Surah 5 (al-Maʼidah), ayah 3

Comment

It is better to leave something alone if there is uncertainty in regards to its permissibliltiy. I would recommend avoiding non-zabiha meat since most Christians don't follow their religious laws when it comes to slaughter. Do your best to find halal meat or stick to seafood, eggs, beans/peas/lentils/quinoa and dairy. Eating meat isn't 100% necessary in today's world.

Comment

The Quran explicitly tells us what is forbidden and everything that isn't mentioned in the Quran to be forbidden is permissible.

​​
                  Stunning falls under torture which is not allowed. We are not allowed to torture animals before slaughter.

Comment

Stunning falls under torture which is not allowed. We are not allowed to torture animals before slaughter.
                    True, but I also read that if stunning the animal will help (eg if they are in a panic) then it may be permissible, provided it does not kill the animal?

I shall find the link that explains it better and provide here.

Comment

Originally posted by Morose View Post

True, but I also read that if stunning the animal will help (eg if they are in a panic) then it may be permissible, provided it does not kill the animal?

I shall find the link that explains it better and provide here.
                      If the animal is distressed for whatever reason then just wait for it to settle down.

Comment

If the animal is distressed for whatever reason then just wait for it to settle down.
                        Agreed.

Anyway, here is the link regardless:

”If it is not easy to slaughter animals unless they have been stunned by a method that will not kill them before they are slaughtered, then it is permissible to stun them and slaughter them whilst they are still alive, in cases of necessity.“

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/islam.../answers/12776

IslamQA da best!

Comment

Originally posted by Morose View Post

Agreed.

Anyway, here is the link regardless:

”If it is not easy to slaughter animals unless they have been stunned by a method that will not kill them before they are slaughtered, then it is permissible to stun them and slaughter them whilst they are still alive, in cases of necessity.“

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/islam.../answers/12776

IslamQA da best!
                          "Necessity"

Factory farming doesn't fall under that.

Comment

"Necessity"

Factory farming doesn't fall under that.
                            Of course! I just wanted to share the link, lest I get called out for speaking without a reference :D

Comment

I hope OP can find halaal meat... Otherwise, it will be all masala and no meat.

Looool

Dead

Gassed
                              Last edited by Morose; 22-05-20, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X