Mental health discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mental health discussion

Salaams peeps, so first of all I was wondering why do you think mental health illnesses are looked down upon?

For example if a person has a broken bone you can see and feel for them, but when it comes to something like depression it can't be seen so there seems to be less empathy shown

never suffer in silence, here are some crises line etc perhaps store it on your phone ❤️

I'll try to add mental health crisis numbers for different countries in sha Allah

UK & Australia Added
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Simply_Logical; 2 weeks ago.

Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post
    Salaams peeps, so first of all I was wondering why do you think mental health illnesses are looked down upon?

For example if a person has a broken bone you can see and feel for them, but when it comes to something like depression it can't be seen so there seems to be less empathy shown

Wa'alaikumussalaam warahmatullah...

We have some idea of what a broken bone might feel like since we've all experienced pain and can see the effects of it.

If we've not had to deal with any kind of mental illness or lived with someone who is affected by it, we don't really have a way to relate to it.
    Last edited by Fakhri-bin-Ali; 02-02-20, 02:27 AM.
    ​​Your du'aa... Always dear, always needed (Jazaa'akumullah Khair.)

Comment

Walaikum asalaam

You provided one of the reasons yourself about not being able to see the mental health illness.

Attitude towards mental health differs. It is not always seen with less empathy.

Sometimes people suffering try to carry on as normal so you would not think they have such illness. When they do tell others they are not taken seriously.

Sometimes other people think the person has bought the illness upon themself or they are attention seeking.

People need to be more educated about mental illness and more awareness made of the types of mental illness, the symptoms and the seriousness of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Fakhri-bin-Ali View Post

Wa'alaikumussalaam warahmatullah...

We have some idea of what a broken night feel like since we've all experienced pain and can see the effects of it.

If we've not had to deal with any kind of mental illness or lived with someone who is affected by it, we don't really have a way to relate to it.
        Yea I suppose I get where you're coming from

Comment

Originally posted by Mintchocchip View Post
          Walaikum asalaam

You provided one of the reasons yourself about not being able to see the mental health illness.

Attitude towards mental health differs. It is not always seen with less empathy.

Sometimes people suffering try to carry on as normal so you would not think they have such illness. When they do tell others they are not taken seriously.

Sometimes other people think the person has bought the illness upon themself or they are attention seeking.

People need to be more educated about mental illness and more awareness made of the types of mental illness, the symptoms and the seriousness of them.

True say

Yea attitudes differs but still there's so many stigmas associated with mental health, like they say ignorance is bliss

Some peeps who suffer yet carry on like normal are living in fear of being judged about their mental illnesses

You're right I agree peeps need to get more educated

This video is very beneficial
          https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OFp2mcnBKls

Comment

Walaykum salam,

It is because the subject of mental health is surrounded by a lot of myths and lies. I'm guessing you've heard many of them yourself such as "it is due to lack of iman" or "some people are dealing with REAL problems" (as if it isn't a real problem) or the worst one "you just need to think positive".
            The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
              Walaykum salam,

It is because the subject of mental health is surrounded by a lot of myths and lies. I'm guessing you've heard many of them yourself such as "it is due to lack of iman" or "some people are dealing with REAL problems" (as if it isn't a real problem) or the worst one "you just need to think positive".
              what sort of myths and lies do you mean neelu?

yea the its lack of iman is so frustrating and like a slap in the face

yea and saying you need to think positive is like a given anyway

Comment

Mental illness isn't a joke, I wouldn't wish it upon my enemies

It can't be seen and can't be touched yet so powerful,
                It can bring grown men and women to their knees

Comment

Back in the day most people would just "pull themselves together" and "get on with it". These days the balance has tipped in the other direction. So many people are signing off work with "stress" and "depression"..mostly public sector workers funnily enough...clearly life is not a bed of roses but some people take the mickey and make life harder for the genuine cases of mental illness.

I understand drug abuse can lead to mental illness and it seems taking drugs is becoming more widespread so maybe its something to do with that.

Comment

Originally posted by Eorlingas View Post
                    Back in the day most people would just "pull themselves together" and "get on with it". These days the balance has tipped in the other direction. So many people are signing off work with "stress" and "depression"..mostly public sector kouyworkers funnily enough...clearly life is not a bed of roses but some people take the mickey and make life harder for the genuine cases of mental illness.

I understand drug abuse can lead to mental illness and it seems taking drugs is becoming more widespread so maybe its something to do with that.
                    Yea the fakers ruin it for the genuine ones out there

Comment

Wasalaam,

Its nice to see your thought provoking post in regards to mental state. its a vast topic and should be explored more in order for to help others when the time comes. May allah expand your knowledge so you can make a difference in a fellow brother or sisters life and rightfully claim the good deed in the akhira. ( quicker response : )
                      Last edited by R1rider; 10-02-20, 07:27 PM.

Comment

Salaaam

Mental Illness is something that many people do not talk about openly, they think it will bring shame on them or they simply want to ignore it. The only way we can beat this as a community is by supporting one another which too can be difficult as people do not clearly understand that individual who has mental health problem. Being a person who has some of this illness through growing up, social anxiety, depression etc they can contribute over years and take a toll on you. Being that all said the best way to beat this is the people who suffer it to come together and find solutions, I can tell you for a fact if you want to do something about it then take the fight to it.

-Pray on time with adhkaar.

- Workout or get atleast 30 min walk daily

- Get sunshine or vitamin d supplement

- Have a decent 6-8 hour sleep

- Have plenty of water.

Just by doing the above 5 steps you have already started the fight.

May Allah swt cure everyone who grow up and face mental health problem which can destroy you as a person. Astaghfirullah. s.a.w.

Ameen.

Jazak Allah Khair For All Your Duas.

Comment

I suffer from mental health issues and I find that praying and then making dua (having a very long lengthy chat with Allah SWT) helps a lot! I let out all of my emotions and I offload whilst talking to Allah SWT and I swear, I immediately feel better, I feel really hopeful! With regards to mental health being looked down upon, a lot of communities don't understand it, especially those who are from back home. A lot of people cant relate to it nor do they understand it, sometimes when we have mental health issues we are sensitive to everything around us. There was a point when nobody could understand my depression - not even my own parents, people would say oh why are you depressed you have everything going for you, sometimes it is ignorance and sometimes just a lack of knowledge and empathy tbh. I stopped worrying about people understanding me and people looking down on mental health and having their opinions when I put my trust and faith in Allah. I realised I was expecting so much from the creation and that I was turning to the creation for understanding and support as opposed to turning to the creator. When I fully submitted myself to Allah I felt so much better that I forgot about all the times when people could not understand my mental health. Fear not, surely Allah is with us. Make lots of dua and get hijama done on the head and back (helps with depression & anxiety).

Comment

Originally posted by Simply_Logical View Post

Psychology is a theory. We can state many theories about this. Now, that's said. Some people believe that depression and anxiety can be contagious. Have you ever been around an anxious person and then felt anxious yourself? Some people just don't want to be around depressed or anxious people, because they don't want to catch that feeling.

Comment

^I've criticised a number of Abu Abdullah's admin decisions in recent times, but banning sovietchild is probably the best decision he's made thus far. He was given ample opportunity to ask frivolous questions and he was refuted enough times for us to be satisfied that he was not asking questions out of curiosity or a desire to learn, but only for the sake of wasting time and attempting to misguide people.
                              The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Collapse

Edit this module to specify a template to display.

Working...
                              X