What city?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What city?

In a few months, I will be getting some tax money. I am not sure how much but I hoping for 2-3K back. In that time, I will use that money to rent a apartment. Many of you know our situation so I don't have to explain. I just need some advise. We may stay in Arizona or leave depending on where I find a apartment. I am down to make one final move as long as I can secure a brighter future. I want to live in a city with cheap rent and decent jobs. I know most big cities don't offer that so I am thinking of settling in a medium sized city. I am communicating with a member on here about Detroit. He says rent is very cheap. I am looking into that but I want other options so I can make my final decision. The downside to living in Detroit may be a turnoff as most people have left and there is a violent crimes and looting everywhere. I am not sure if it's that bad as they say but I am studying that for sure. I need to know is there any other city that comes to mind.

A good vibrant Muslim community is a plus :)

Detroit would be a good choice as far as a good Muslim Community goes. The cost of living there is cheaper than most other places, and if you have a contact there, even better.

I live in St Louis. The lowest rent I could find for a two bedroom apartment in a not so terrible part of town is around $650. The problem is the apartments are not well maintained, and usually have bugs due to the neighbors being nasty. I ended up renting a room from someone, which isn't ideal, but for my situation, it made life easier.

The job market isn't fantastic but it isn't horrible either. Amazon is usually hiring here, 15 an hour day shift, 17 over night. If you can't handle working in a warehouse, they pay 15 an hour to deliver, they provide the gps, vehicle, and gas. They want you to work 10 hour shifts, 4 days a week. And you can supplement your income doing Uber/Lyft/Amazon Flex.

The Islamic community is okay, but segregated. Arabs keep to the masjid in North County, Pakistanis/Indians with a sprinkling of Arabs are in West county, Bosnian are south county, African are in the inner city. I don't think we have a large Asian Muslim community here. And the kuffar here are very racist (those from here, the transplant kuffar, which has increased a lot, are better).

If you are interested in driving for a living, St Louis is kind of a hub for trucking companies. Many of them will train you in return you work for them for a year. Its not a glorious life, but I am told it gets easier as time passes. It is my fall back choice if I can't find anything better within the next year. The way I see it, I'll suffer driving a truck for 3-5 years, but then I'll have enough money to buy a small house, new car and be debt free. Then I could find a local low paying job just to pay the bills and have spending money.

Hopefully other members can give you better information.

Comment

Originally posted by Abisali View Post
      Detroit would be a good choice as far as a good Muslim Community goes. The cost of living there is cheaper than most other places, and if you have a contact there, even better.

I live in St Louis. The lowest rent I could find for a two bedroom apartment in a not so terrible part of town is around $650. The problem is the apartments are not well maintained, and usually have bugs due to the neighbors being nasty. I ended up renting a room from someone, which isn't ideal, but for my situation, it made life easier.

The job market isn't fantastic but it isn't horrible either. Amazon is usually hiring here, 15 an hour day shift, 17 over night. If you can't handle working in a warehouse, they pay 15 an hour to deliver, they provide the gps, vehicle, and gas. They want you to work 10 hour shifts, 4 days a week. And you can supplement your income doing Uber/Lyft/Amazon Flex.

The Islamic community is okay, but segregated. Arabs keep to the masjid in North County, Pakistanis/Indians with a sprinkling of Arabs are in West county, Bosnian are south county, African are in the inner city. I don't think we have a large Asian Muslim community here. And the kuffar here are very racist (those from here, the transplant kuffar, which has increased a lot, are better).

If you are interested in driving for a living, St Louis is kind of a hub for trucking companies. Many of them will train you in return you work for them for a year. Its not a glorious life, but I am told it gets easier as time passes. It is my fall back choice if I can't find anything better within the next year. The way I see it, I'll suffer driving a truck for 3-5 years, but then I'll have enough money to buy a small house, new car and be debt free. Then I could find a local low paying job just to pay the bills and have spending money.

Hopefully other members can give you better information.
      Really good advice ma sha Allah. I ask Allah to make u both successful ameen.
      وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

I am from Detroit, not the member you are talking to, but I can give you my 2cent. The cost of living is cheap here with $600-ish being normal rent price for 2 bed apartment in the Muslim community (so somewhat safe area). Job market is hit or miss which is the reason many people have moved out of MI in general. Depending on what type of job you are looking for, it might be tough or easy to find jobs. Lot of manufacturing & engineer jobs here but those are linked to general economy so when the economy is down the jobs are down too. But it is a place one can survive, many immigrants have moved here & settled fairly easily vs. other parts of USA. Big dependency on car in Michigan, although with Uber & Lyft the dependency is going down.

I have not followed the OPs story so I am not sure of all the struggles but if you are from Arizona, the cold in Michigan might be too much to adjust. Another place, I recently visited that has strong Muslim community, low cost of living & good job prospect is Metro-Dallas. Most people live in Irving (or outside Dallas). Huge car culture too.

Comment

Originally posted by asalem View Post
          In a few months, I will be getting some tax money. I am not sure how much but I hoping for 2-3K back. In that time, I will use that money to rent a apartment. Many of you know our situation so I don't have to explain. I just need some advise. We may stay in Arizona or leave depending on where I find a apartment. I am down to make one final move as long as I can secure a brighter future. I want to live in a city with cheap rent and decent jobs. I know most big cities don't offer that so I am thinking of settling in a medium sized city. I am communicating with a member on here about Detroit. He says rent is very cheap. I am looking into that but I want other options so I can make my final decision. The downside to living in Detroit may be a turnoff as most people have left and there is a violent crimes and looting everywhere. I am not sure if it's that bad as they say but I am studying that for sure. I need to know is there any other city that comes to mind.

A good vibrant Muslim community is a plus :)
          Did you make a gofundme page?
          https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/lo...-qur-an-courseI am just a simple nomad.

Ephemeral reader

Comment

Along time ago but it wasn't successful

Comment

Originally posted by Kya View Post
              I am from Detroit, not the member you are talking to, but I can give you my 2cent. The cost of living is cheap here with $600-ish being normal rent price for 2 bed apartment in the Muslim community (so somewhat safe area). Job market is hit or miss which is the reason many people have moved out of MI in general. Depending on what type of job you are looking for, it might be tough or easy to find jobs. Lot of manufacturing & engineer jobs here but those are linked to general economy so when the economy is down the jobs are down too. But it is a place one can survive, many immigrants have moved here & settled fairly easily vs. other parts of USA. Big dependency on car in Michigan, although with Uber & Lyft the dependency is going down.

I have not followed the OPs story so I am not sure of all the struggles but if you are from Arizona, the cold in Michigan might be too much to adjust. Another place, I recently visited that has strong Muslim community, low cost of living & good job prospect is Metro-Dallas. Most people live in Irving (or outside Dallas). Huge car culture too.
              I grew up in the northern part of the Dallas metroplex and the rent for a one room apartment in areas with normal crime rates is much more than 600. Rent around 500 will most likely land you in an unsatisfactory place, to say the least. The minimum wage there is also the federal minimum wage, so that really doesn't match the cost of living. I mean, Dallas is more affordable than other large cities, but it really isn't that great in this regard.

Personally, I absolutely despise ghettos because of crime and how disgusting the men are, but if someone doesn't mind, then I guess they'd be okay. But as this brother says he has a family, I really don't think those kinds of places would be suitable.
              Last edited by .khayriyyah.; Yesterday, 01:20 AM.
              قد كانت لكم أسوة حسنة في إبراهيم والذين معه إذ قالوا لقومهم إنا برآء منكم ومما تعبدون من دون الله كفرنا بكم وبدا بيننا وبينكم العداوة والبغضاء أبدا حتى تؤمنوا بالله وحده

Comment

Working...
              X