No announcement yet.

Why are the majority of cleaners black?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are the majority of cleaners black?

Nothing wrong with bein a cleaner although itís seen as an inferior job. I donít understand why we immigrants subjugate ourselves to menial second rate jobs.
    Last edited by Magic.; 11-07-19, 09:04 PM.
    8 powerful habits to succeed

1. Wake up early!
    2. Do it as soon as possible, you could die tonight so make the best of today
    3. Remember your life is unique, don't compare yourself to others. Use that jealousy as an energy to make your life a success"
    4. Have healthy habits. Set a time each day to exercise. Try with the mindset you're only going to do some jumping jacks for 5 seconds and the next thing you know, you're doing a workout!
    5. Read, read, read. Ponder over the Qur'an, learn more. Put the idiot box (TV) away
    6. Take note. Desires make slaves out of kings and patience makes kings out of slaves.
    7. Results aren't just worldly. Results are also about perseverance, retaining dignity, being honest, being honourable, doing good unto others.
    8. Always encourage others especially our brothers and sisters, let them know making mistakes is okay, we all make mistakes, do not ever undermine them and make them feel incompetent. This is also true for the dunya, so what if they don't get the maths sum right the first time, that is what LEARNING is.

NEW UPDATE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJubtizAEfU

Watch this when you're distressed!

So confused, what does this mean?

It also could be that the Western countries they immigrate to don't accept their qualifications from back home.

Many immigrants are well educated but can't use their qualifications sadly.
    Last edited by LailaTheMuslim; 08-07-19, 10:21 PM.
    وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Institutional racism...
      8 powerful habits to succeed

1. Wake up early!
      2. Do it as soon as possible, you could die tonight so make the best of today
      3. Remember your life is unique, don't compare yourself to others. Use that jealousy as an energy to make your life a success"
      4. Have healthy habits. Set a time each day to exercise. Try with the mindset you're only going to do some jumping jacks for 5 seconds and the next thing you know, you're doing a workout!
      5. Read, read, read. Ponder over the Qur'an, learn more. Put the idiot box (TV) away
      6. Take note. Desires make slaves out of kings and patience makes kings out of slaves.
      7. Results aren't just worldly. Results are also about perseverance, retaining dignity, being honest, being honourable, doing good unto others.
      8. Always encourage others especially our brothers and sisters, let them know making mistakes is okay, we all make mistakes, do not ever undermine them and make them feel incompetent. This is also true for the dunya, so what if they don't get the maths sum right the first time, that is what LEARNING is.

NEW UPDATE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJubtizAEfU

Watch this when you're distressed!

Comment

Originally posted by Magic. View Post
        Institutional racism...
        I don't think it is racism. It could be the case that they find it difficult to find other jobs. Virtually all the 'black' cleaners I have come across don't speak English very well.
        Incidently, once a roofer from Eastern Europe was working on our roof. He too did not speak English very well, but turned out to be a medical doctor

Comment

I assume this is about the UK(?)

I am a life long Californian. 25 years ago and further back, the majority of house cleaners were Mexicans as were the majority of gardeners. These days it is mostly Salvadoran and Guatemalans doing this work. Ironically often working for Mexican American business owners as the hard work ethic of Mexicans have created economic (and political) prosperity.

I was seconded to North Wales for six months a while back. It seemed that most everybody around me was white. Which is weird for a Californian were the population is quite diverse.

Anyway, the housekeepers were all white. Many were Welsh but there were also a lot of Polish immigrants. So I agree with lunar.

~Bub
          From the Many, One

Comment

Originally posted by BubbleGum View Post
            I assume this is about the UK(?)

I am a life long Californian. 25 years ago and further back, the majority of house cleaners were Mexicans as were the majority of gardeners. These days it is mostly Salvadoran and Guatemalans doing this work. Ironically often working for Mexican American business owners as the hard work ethic of Mexicans have created economic (and political) prosperity.

I was seconded to North Wales for six months a while back. It seemed that most everybody around me was white. Which is weird for a Californian were the population is quite diverse.

Anyway, the housekeepers were all white. Many were Welsh but there were also a lot of Polish immigrants. So I agree with lunar.

~Bub
            Hey Bub,

You're in the army?
            وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Comment

Like some have mentioned above, I too think it because of language barriers and qualifications.

We have a lot of Asian (Pakistani woman) cleaners in our area who work in schools and other professional settings. However when I was a child, that was not a job that Pakistani woman did outside the home. Was seen as a shameful job.

There are quite a few Eastern Europeans working as cleaners. They probably take the job as cleaners because the working hours also suit them.

In the past it could have been due to racism but I don't think that is the case nowadays. (I am talking about the UK). 

Comment

I'd say most are immigrants. It's a job that's easy entry because you don't need a high level of skill or education for it so many people who are new to the country can get it easily. Other groups may not easily take those jobs either because they view it beneath them but if you're desperate and new, you'll take what you get.

Comment

Originally posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post

Hey Bub,

You're in the army?
                  Hey Laila,

Never been in the military. Never wanted to be. Why did you think that (if you don't mind me asking)?

~Bub
                  From the Many, One

Comment

Hey Laila,

Never been in the military. Never wanted to be. Why did you think that (if you don't mind me asking)?

~Bub
                    You said something about being seconded. I think I confused that with a military term, as in being relocated to the Welsh military! Idk there is a similar term in the military for something like that I think

Sorry :)

Comment

Originally posted by LailaTheMuslim View Post

You said something about being seconded. I think I confused that with a military term, as in being relocated to the Welsh military! Idk there is a similar term in the military for something like that I think

Sorry :)
                      Actually, the first time I heard the word 'seconded' was in the UK. It means 'temporarily relocated by the corporation in order to carry out a specific project or task'. That's what it means to me, anyway.I didn't check the dictionary.

Sort of a capitalist version of a sabbatical.

And to stay on topic: A man on secondment, just like an immigrant cleaner, does not speak the language nor understand the customs. But because the seconded man works for the company, the man has money and his employer as a protector from local government harassment.

Imagine suddenly losing that corporate support. Or some other similar situation. Losing all your wealth and visa privileges. Like being an exchange student in China and your family suddenly cuts you off. Or having your once wealthy family back home made destitute by war or a political shift. Any one of us could possibly become a cleaner someday.

Be kind and fair to the lowliest of men. Just as Isa was kind to the sinful woman who washed his feet.

Preachermode-off

~Bub
                      From the Many, One

Comment

A bit off topic but opening your own cleaning company can generate big bucks. Obviously if youíre successful you will employ others to do the work but thereís a massive demand for cleaning services at the moment. If youíre clever and advertise well, it can be a really successful business

recently Iíve been feeling under a lot of pressure & stress at work & iíve Been thinking of going into cleaning. I daydream about how I will scrub away all my stress...

(My mum would absolutely kill me if I did go into cleaning though!)
                        https://islamicgemsandpearls.wordpress.com

Comment

I apologise for calling you out but how about we remove this superior attitude
                          "I donít why we immigrants subjugate ourselves to menial second rate jobs."

It's the reason why a lot of immigrants come to this country or any other country. Likewise someone needs to do them and many of the locals don't want to do it. Cleaning an office, hotel or shops has probably more barakah than working at a cushy banking riba filled job.
                          Pray. Fast. Zakat. Pilgrimage. Allah.

Comment

Actually, the first time I heard the word 'seconded' was in the UK. It means 'temporarily relocated by the corporation in order to carry out a specific project or task'. That's what it means to me, anyway.I didn't check the dictionary.

Sort of a capitalist version of a sabbatical.

And to stay on topic: A man on secondment, just like an immigrant cleaner, does not speak the language nor understand the customs. But because the seconded man works for the company, the man has money and his employer as a protector from local government harassment.

Imagine suddenly losing that corporate support. Or some other similar situation. Losing all your wealth and visa privileges. Like being an exchange student in China and your family suddenly cuts you off. Or having your once wealthy family back home made destitute by war or a political shift. Any one of us could possibly become a cleaner someday.

Be kind and fair to the lowliest of men. Just as Isa was kind to the sinful woman who washed his feet.

Preachermode-off

~Bub
                            Thanks and you're right

Comment

Originally posted by Magic. View Post
                              Nothing wrong with bein a cleaner although itís seen as an inferior job. I donít understand why we immigrants subjugate ourselves to menial second rate jobs.
                              This is an opinion you see from your own perspective.

A person (you or anyone) who was born and raised in a country, was provided for until he or she finishes university, then enters the workforce and has a professional job vs. a person who was unemployed or was probably doing the same cleaning/janitorial jobs back in his home country.

For a lot of immigrants, merely living in the US and the UK, earning a salary in dollars and pounds - even if it's doing what we see has a second rate job, and sending their kids to what they see as "fine institutions" is high status. They compare themselves with their family members and friends back home, and they are of high status now.

Comment

Working...
                              X