Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What do people most often mistake you for?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do people most often mistake you for?

In my case, non-Arabs think I am an Arab.
    Arabs mostly think I am Pakistani.
    New classmates think I am a nerd, most probably  because I am introverted.

"And behold! ye come to us bare and alone as We created you for the first time: ye have left behind you all which We bestowed on you..." - Al-An'am:94

Mistaken for being:

A quiet, angry Muslim - by non-muslims untill we speak.

Pakistani / Afghan - by the uncles and brothers at the masjid

Fluent in Urdu - by uncles who love to turn up their nose when discovering otherwise.

A mawlana by ^ and ^^

A very nice person. By people who haven't known me long enough.

Well-spoken and mild mannered - by those who haven't seen me around my brothers.
    LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAAH
    -------------------------------------

​​​​​NOTE: Please kindly avoid 'liking' my posts (Jazaa'akumullah khair)

Comment

For years if I went anywhere with my brother I was mistaken for his wife.

A couple of years ago a woman asked me if I was Hindu- I was wearing a headscarf and abaya at the time.

My sister used to work in a place in Central London that had loads of tourists and international customers and they'd often start speaking to her in their own language cos they'd assume she was from their country.  Sometimes Arabic, sometimes Spanish.  She doesn't speak Arabic but she knows Spanish and they'd become very confused when she'd say she isn't from there.
      The Lyme Disease pandemic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z5u73ME4sVU

Comment

Originally posted by neelu View Post
        For years if I went anywhere with my brother I was mistaken for his wife.
        Lol, that is awkward.

Reminds me of an incident my mother told me. My grandmother gave birth to my youngest aunt very late. Once while travelling in the bus, my youngest aunt, 2 years old at that time maybe, was crying, so the bus ticket collector said, "Tell your grand daughter to stop crying". She was crying for my mother who was already married at that time. Such a huge age gap.
        Last edited by notEVOLVED; 07-07-19, 05:16 PM.

"And behold! ye come to us bare and alone as We created you for the first time: ye have left behind you all which We bestowed on you..." - Al-An'am:94

Comment

I get a blank stare as they don't quite know. Some know I'm Somali.

On Umrah, I got south African once, and in high school they thought I was Jamaican til i wore a headscarf. Oh yeah and not that Jamaicans can't be Muslim, loads are like Bilal Phillips for example.

They were all shocked to find I'm Somali after my hijab in high school. 

Its funny cos people say that to my family as well. Some think my sis is Indian when we go abroad, or from an Arab country. Our mum has gotten questions if she is Pakistani and my dad kinda looks in his old photos like a bassist of a funk band from the 70s lol with his Afro.

I'm also very tall so got called everything from big friendly giant to arrogant apparently cos of my height.

Personality wise some assume I'm mean but when they get to know me I'm really chatty and friendly.

Though with group meetings I can be shy and say random things so can be seen as a weirdo lol
          Last edited by LailaTheMuslim; 07-07-19, 10:10 PM.
          وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

Many times people assume I can't speak/understand English. Funny when people speak slowly or ask do you understand and then I reply. I can see the suprised/shocked look on their face. They probably associate a niqabi/hijabi as someone who is from back home.

Comment

Edit
              Last edited by Layla_; 07-07-19, 08:13 PM.
              https://islamicgemsandpearls.wordpress.com

Comment

A frog.

magok @al mualim
                https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/lo...-qur-an-courseI am just a simple nomad.

Ephemeral reader

Comment

Spanish
                  8 powerful habits to succeed

1. Wake up early!
                  2. Do it as soon as possible, you could die tonight so make the best of today
                  3. Remember your life is unique, don't compare yourself to others. Use that jealousy as an energy to make your life a success"
                  4. Have healthy habits. Set a time each day to exercise. Try with the mindset you're only going to do some jumping jacks for 5 seconds and the next thing you know, you're doing a workout!
                  5. Read, read, read. Ponder over the Qur'an, learn more. Put the idiot box (TV) away
                  6. Take note. Desires make slaves out of kings and patience makes kings out of slaves.
                  7. Results aren't just worldly. Results are also about perseverance, retaining dignity, being honest, being honourable, doing good unto others.
                  8. Always encourage others especially our brothers and sisters, let them know making mistakes is okay, we all make mistakes, do not ever undermine them and make them feel incompetent. This is also true for the dunya, so what if they don't get the maths sum right the first time, that is what LEARNING is.

NEW UPDATE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJubtizAEfU

Watch this when you're distressed!

Comment

A child.
                    https://islamicgemsandpearls.wordpress.com

Comment

I look very young Alhamdulillah baby face with a neckbeard

You can easily mistake me to be a teenager I guess. Or maybe I am one? The mystery continues.
                      https://www.ummah.com/forum/forum/lo...-qur-an-courseI am just a simple nomad.

Ephemeral reader

Comment

A classmate who's known me for 2-3 years was under the illusion that I was from Palestine.
                        Another mistook me for an Arab
                        Another for Afghanistan
                        and another for Pakistan

Their shocked reactions were all priceless when they found out I was actually Indian!

Heres another:
                        I joined the Indian group in high school because i'm Indian (duh!), but for some reason (for around 6 weeks) they all thought I was from the Middle East and they only realised when they saw my last name on the roll...
                        الْحَمْد لله

Comment

Someone who cares
                          The sunnah is like the ark of Noah, whoever embarks upon it reaches salvation and whoever refuses is drowned.
                          ~ Imam Malik (may Allah have mercy on him)

Comment

Originally posted by eesa the kiwi View Post
                            Someone who cares
                            lmso

​​​​​
                            'Whatever it be wherein ye differ, the decision thereof is with Allah: such is Allah my Lord: In Him I trust, and to Him I turn.' The Holy Qu'ran Al Shura (Consultation)

So, which of the favours of your lord will you deny? ~ Surah Ar Rahman

Comment

Working...
                            X