Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can someone explain this verse

Salam alaikum,

I heard this verse quite a lot recently by coincidence at jumuah prayer etc. And hold firmly to the rope of Allah all together and do not become divided. And remember the favor of Allah upon you - when you were enemies and He brought your hearts together and you became, by His favor, brothers. And you were on the edge of a pit of the Fire, and He saved you from it. Thus does Allah make clear to you His verses that you may be guided. {Ali Imran 3:103}

Now what I am curious about is the bit where it says ''And you were on the edge of a pit of the fire, and he save you from it''. Does this imply that they were going to jahanam anyway before islam came? But surely if people have never heard or seen the religion of islam before they cannot be blamed and doomed to hellfire?

I am asking purely for my own self and to put my heart at rest. Im sure I am wrong, If someone with more knowledge can explain please?

There were people like Khadija (may Allah be pleased with her)'s cousin who was christian who practiced christianity and went to jannah just after the Nabi Muhammad PBUH received his prophethood. He was a christian but accepted our Prophet's message.

I'm just saying that monotheism existed and people could rationalize with their minds not taking partners with Allah even if that was Isa alayhis salaam or the idols that the polytheists followed.

Also read this tafsir page:

http://www.alim.org/library/quran/Al...fsir/TIK/3/102
    وَاقْصِدْ فِي مَشْيِكَ وَاغْضُضْ مِن صَوْتِكَ ۚ إِنَّ أَنكَرَ الْأَصْوَاتِ لَصَوْتُ الْحَمِيرِ - 31:19

And be moderate in your pace and lower your voice; indeed, the most disagreeable of sounds is the voice of donkeys."

أَلَمْ تَرَوْا أَنَّ اللَّهَ سَخَّرَ لَكُم مَّا فِي السَّمَاوَاتِ وَمَا فِي الْأَرْضِ وَأَسْبَغَ عَلَيْكُمْ نِعَمَهُ ظَاهِرَةً وَبَاطِنَةً ۗ وَمِنَ النَّاسِ مَن يُجَادِلُ فِي اللَّهِ بِغَيْرِ عِلْمٍ وَلَا هُدًى وَلَا كِتَابٍ مُّنِيرٍ - 31:20

Do you not see that Allah has made subject to you whatever is in the heavens and whatever is in the earth and amply bestowed upon you His favors, [both] apparent and unapparent? But of the people is he who disputes about Allah without knowledge or guidance or an enlightening Book [from Him].

Please take a look at my travel booking website : https://destinationfindertravel.com/

Please take a look at my blog : http://thinkingmuslima.blogspot.co.uk/

Comment

The people who live before the message of Islam has reached them such as those between the period between Jesus and Muhammed صلي الله عليه وسلم are known as ahl al fitra

if they commit shirk they are mushrikeen and will go jahannam as tawheed and shirk is known from the fitra, aql and mithaaq ( covenent everyone made with Allah before they were created when Allah spoke to all the souls) and there is no exscuse to commit shirk
      if they do not commit shirk then they will be judged as kuffar in this world according to ulama such as muhammed ibn abdul wahhab and the imams of najd but in akhira they will be judged by Allah whether they go jannah or jahannam

And also most of the people in arabia pre islam were mushrikeen they were people who committed shirk and were going to go hell if they died upon that but Allah guided them to Islam

Allah SWT said:

مَّنِ اهْتَدٰى فَإِنَّمَا يَهْتَدِى لِنَفْسِهِۦ  ۖ وَمَنْ ضَلَّ فَإِنَّمَا يَضِلُّ عَلَيْهَا  ۚ وَلَا تَزِرُ وَازِرَةٌ وِزْرَ أُخْرٰى  ۗ وَمَا كُنَّا مُعَذِّبِينَ حَتّٰى نَبْعَثَ رَسُولًا
      "Whoever is guided is only guided for [the benefit of] his soul. And whoever errs only errs against it. And no bearer of burdens will bear the burden of another. And never would We punish until We sent a messenger."
      (QS. Al-Israa 17: Verse 15)

* Via Qur'an English http://quran-en.com

Aal-e-Imran 3:103
      English - Tafsir ibn kathir
      وَاعْتَصِمُواْ بِحَبْلِ اللّهِ جَمِيعًا وَلَا تَفَرَّقُواْ

And hold fast, all of you together, to the Rope of Allah, and be not divided among yourselves.

It was said that,
      بِحَبْلِ اللّهِ
      (to the Rope of Allah),

refers to Allah's covenant, just as Allah said in the following Ayah,
      ضُرِبَتْ عَلَيْهِمُ الذِّلَّةُ أَيْنَ مَا ثُقِفُواْ إِلاَّ بِحَبْلٍ مِّنْ اللّهِ وَحَبْلٍ مِّنَ النَّاسِ
      (Indignity is put over them wherever they may be, except when under a covenant (of protection) from Allah, and from men); (3:112) in reference to pledges and peace treaties.

Allah's statement
      وَلَا تَفَرَّقُواْ
      (and be not divided among yourselves),

orders sticking to the community of the believers and forbids division.

There are several Hadiths that require adhering to the Jama`ah (congregation of believers) and prohibit division.

Muslim recorded that Abu Hurayrah said that the Messenger of Allah said,

إِنَّ اللهَ يَرْضَى لَكُمْ ثَلَثًا وَيَسْخَطُ لَكُمْ ثَلَثًا

يَرْضَى لَكُمْ

أَنْ تَعْبُدُوهُ وَلَا تُشْرِكُوا بِهِ شَيْيًا

وَأَنْ تَعْتَصِمُوا بِحَبْلِ اللهِ جَمِيعًا وَلَاأ تَفَرَّقُوا

وَأَنْ تَنَاصَحُوا مَنْ وَلاَّهُ اللهُ أَمْرَكُمْ

وَيَسْخَطُ لَكُمْ ثَلَثًا

قِيلَ وَقَالَ

وَكَثْرَةَ السُّوَالِ

وَإِضَاعَةَ الْمَال

It pleases Allah for you to acquire three qualities and displeases Him that you acquire three characteristics.

It pleases Him that;

you worship Him Alone and not associate anything or anyone with Him in worship,

that you hold on to the Rope of Allah altogether and do not divide, and

that you advise whoever Allah appoints as your Leader.

The three that displease Him are that;

you say, `It was said,' and, `So-and-so said,'

asking many unnecessary questions and

wasting money.

Allah said,

وَاذْكُرُواْ نِعْمَةَ اللّهِ عَلَيْكُمْ إِذْ كُنتُمْ أَعْدَاء فَأَلَّفَ بَيْنَ قُلُوبِكُمْ فَأَصْبَحْتُم بِنِعْمَتِهِ إِخْوَانًا

and remember Allah's favor on you, for you were enemies one to another but He joined your hearts together, so that, by His grace, you became brethren.

This was revealed about the Aws and Khazraj. During the time of Jahiliyyah, the Aws and Khazraj were at war and had great hatred, enmity and ill feelings towards each other, causing long conflicts and battles to occur between them. When Allah brought Islam, those among them who embraced it became brothers who loved each other by Allah's grace, having good ties for Allah's sake and helping each other in righteousness and piety.

Allah said,

هُوَ الَّذِيَ أَيَّدَكَ بِنَصْرِهِ وَبِالْمُوْمِنِينَ

وَأَلَّفَ بَيْنَ قُلُوبِهِمْ لَوْ أَنفَقْتَ مَا فِي الَارْضِ جَمِيعاً مَّا أَلَّفَتْ بَيْنَ قُلُوبِهِمْ وَلَـكِنَّ اللّهَ أَلَّفَ بَيْنَهُمْ إِنَّهُ عَزِيزٌ حَكِيمٌ

He it is Who has supported you with His Help and with the believers. And He has united their hearts. If you had spent all that is in the earth, you could not have united their hearts, but Allah has united them. Certainly He is All-Mighty, All-Wise.(8:62-63)

وَكُنتُمْ عَلَىَ شَفَا حُفْرَةٍ مِّنَ النَّارِ فَأَنقَذَكُم مِّنْهَا كَذَلِكَ يُبَيِّنُ اللّهُ لَكُمْ ايَاتِهِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَهْتَدُونَ

and you were on the brink of a pit of Fire, and He saved you from it. Thus Allah makes His Ayat clear to you, that you may be guided.

Before Islam, their disbelief had them standing at the edge of a pit of the Fire, but Allah saved them from it and delivered them to faith. The Messenger of Allah reminded the Ansar (from both Aws and Khazraj) of this bounty when he was dividing the war booty of Hunayn. During that time, some Ansar did not like the way the booty was divided, since they did not get what the others did, although that was what Allah directed His Prophet to do.

The Messenger of Allah gave them a speech, in which he said,

يَا مَعْشَرَ الاْاَنْصَارِ أَلَمْ أَجِدْكُمْ ضُلَّلاًا فَهَدَاكُمُ اللهُ بِي

وَكُنْتُمْ مُتَفَرِّقِينَ فَأَلَّفَكُمُ اللهُ بِي

وَعَالَةً فَأَغْنَاكُمُ اللهُ بِي

O Ansar! Did I not find you misguided and Allah directed you to guidance because of me!

Were you not divided beforehand and Allah united you around me!

Were you not poor and Allah enriched you because of me!

Whenever the Prophet asked them a question, they would answer, "Indeed, Allah and His Messenger have granted us bounty.
      Last edited by Abu julaybeeb; Yesterday, 09:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Okay? View Post
        Salam alaikum,

Does this imply that they were going to jahanam anyway before islam came? But surely if people have never heard or seen the religion of islam before they cannot be blamed and doomed to hellfire?

I am asking purely for my own self and to put my heart at rest. Im sure I am wrong, If someone with more knowledge can explain please?
        There were prophets (peace be upon them) before Muhammad sallallahu 'alayhi wa salaam. So humans were already called to worship Allah and live by His laws, before the last and final prophet sallallahu 'alayhi wa salaam.

Allah is not unjust. He never punishes without warning. He sent prophets and messengers (peace be upon them) to invite people to worship Him, and to warn those who ignored them.
        Only after all these, then He sent punishments to those who disobeyed Him and He saved the ones who were obedient.

Information below about those who have never heard/known message of Islam and died as non muslims
        https://islamqa.info/en/answers/1244...ssage-of-islam
        He has created man from a sperm-drop; and behold this same (man) becomes an open disputer! (16:4)

Comment

Working...
        X