Job interview gone wrong...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Umm Uthmaan View Post

'Ajeeb..I've only heard about niqabis working at call centers where I live..
    I know quite a few sisters who wear niqaab and they all work in Islamic schools.

Comment

Originally posted by MyUsernameIs... View Post

I know quite a few sisters who wear niqaab and they all work in Islamic schools.
      Make sense

Comment

Originally posted by Rahma. View Post
        Stalkers and undue attention: I don't think it's a minority thing... I think a significant amount of sisters get unwanted attention. Some just ignore it/don't tell people/realise staying at home is better.

(By the way, even in childcare/TA, you'll have some men working in those areas...)

¬*
        This happens to most women.

And in childcare you still have to deal with the parents of the kids you look after, so sometimes this means interacting with the father. Even when you wear niqab some men will still behave inappropriately.
        Last edited by .khayriyyah.; 13-06-19, 02:58 PM.
        وَمَنْ أَعْرَضَ عَنْ ذِكْرِي فَإِنَّ لَهُ مَعِيشَةً ضَنْكًا

And whoever turns away from My remembrance – indeed, he will have a depressed life.
        (Quran 20:124)

Comment

I don't know how it is in the UK, but you'll still have trouble getting a job at an Islamic school wearing niqab here. Some have policies against them.

And whoever turns away from My remembrance – indeed, he will have a depressed life.

Comment

Originally posted by .khayriyyah. View Post

I don't know how it is in the UK, but you'll still have trouble getting a job at an Islamic school wearing niqab here. Some have policies against them.
            Thats shameful.
            Islamic schools are segregated so the teachers would not be veiled whilst they are actually in the classrooms. I cant understand why they would have a policy against it.

Comment

This happens to most women.

And in childcare you still have to deal with the parents of the kids you look after, so sometimes this means interacting with the father. Even when you wear niqab some men will still behave inappropriately.
              i guess when you look at all jobs this could be the least amount of fitna, maybe the most you will interact with the father is during parents evenings or stuff like that. im not too sure but i think its better than call centre jobs where you could be working with more men

Comment

Originally posted by Saif-Uddin View Post

Misfortune? Actually she's fortunate.
                I fail to understand. If the candidate's veil hinders her progress in getting a job then this is considered unfortunate. Is there a necessity to wear a veil.
                This is the 21st century, let's move forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Boss View Post
                  i guess when you look at all jobs this could be the least amount of fitna, maybe the most you will interact with the father is during parents evenings or stuff like that. im not too sure but i think its better than call centre jobs where you could be working with more men
                  Sometimes men try to talk to you on a regular basis and unnecessarily stay atound you. This can happen when dropping off and picking up the kids. If a man wants to, he will find an excuse to be around you for as long as he can push it. Sometimes they don't care or listen to you if you politely express your discomfort at this.

This is a lot more common than you'd think, so I wouldn't describe working in a preschool to be free of fitnah. If you can find one family to work with as a nanny, sometimes this issue is taken away if the father isn't around/isn't involved. The more kids you work with means that you'll have to deal with more parents, and the more men you encounter, the higher the chances are that some of them will behave in a certain way.

Comment

Thats shameful.
                    Islamic schools are segregated so the teachers would not be veiled whilst they are actually in the classrooms. I cant understand why they would have a policy against it.
                    A lot of those "Islamic schools" are more like schools for Muslims with very lame Islamic education programs and mixed classrooms. They're not very different from secular private schools. The fact that highly qualified munaqabat can't get hired by them says a lot.
                    Last edited by .khayriyyah.; 14-06-19, 01:41 PM.

Comment

Sometimes men try to talk to you on a regular basis and unnecessarily stay atound you. This can happen when dropping off and picking up the kids. If a man wants to, he will find an excuse to be around you for as long as he can push it. Sometimes they don't care or listen to you if you politely express your discomfort at this.

This is a lot more common than you'd think, so I wouldn't describe working in a preschool to be free of fitnah. If you can find one family to work with as a nanny, sometimes this issue is taken away if the father isn't around/isn't involved. The more kids you work with means that you'll have to deal with more parents, and the more men you encounter, the higher the chances are that some of them will behave in a certain way.
                      The thing is, most nanny jobs require you to have a certification or some kind of documents as well as atleast a year of experience with kids. Everything has to start from somewhere but i can see why this would have fitnah too

Comment

Originally posted by lunar View Post

I fail to understand. If the candidate's veil hinders her progress in getting a job then this is considered unfortunate. Is there a necessity to wear a veil.
                        What's unfortunate is that some people see the niqab as something that's backwards and extreme when this is apart of Islam. There is a lot of evidence behind this.

And there's no need to "move forward". Allah revealed Islam for the rest of time. If He guides someone to the correct understanding of His deen, then they are among the most fortunate of people.

Comment

Originally posted by Boss View Post

The thing is, most nanny jobs require you to have a certification or some kind of documents as well as atleast a year of experience with kids. Everything has to start from somewhere but i can see why this would have fitnah too
                          Try babysitting first and get experience from there. Sometimes when families are running out of time, they'll lower their expectations and hire people in your position. Just make sure you know how to look after the basic needs of children. If you don't, you can try spending time with a friend or family member's children to see how they do things.

Also, I'm not sure where you were looking for nanny positions, but it's better not to look online. It's a struggle to uphold Islamic values when working for non-Muslims, and it's likely they won't understand you either. You can look for positions with Muslims on the bulletin boards of masajid. If possible, you can also post your information on there and let people know that you're looking for work in child care.

The difficult part about this is that sometimes these people try to take advantage of you, so you have to be very clear from the beginning and have them write down the pay, what your duties are, etc., on paper and have them sign it. Sometimes they'll hire you to look after their kids, then once they get you in their home, they want you to take over their chores without raising your pay. Log everytime you work, so if they try to avoid paying you, you can threaten to take action.

There are courses where you can get certified online. At least in the US, with the red cross organization, you can get adult and child/baby CPR/AED/first aid training certificates and there are childcare courses on there too. It took me a few hours to get the first certificate I mentioned and these things are very simple to learn.
                          Last edited by .khayriyyah.; 14-06-19, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Get some feedback from them as to why they rejected you..be interesting to see what they "Come up with"

Comment

Originally posted by lunar View Post

Are you Muslim?

I guess the 21st century means putting work before the deen. 
                              Last edited by Stoic Believer; 14-06-19, 05:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Stoic Believer View Post

Are you Muslim?

I guess the 21st century means putting work before the deen.¬*
                                Yes I am a Muslim.
                                Let me put it another way; many years ago it was considered taboo to get a mortgage for purchasing a house. Now most scholars would state that it is not wrong to obtain a loan for residential property. Though one has to pay interest.

Comment

Working...
                                X