Job interview gone wrong...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Job interview gone wrong...

So i just came back from a job interview, it went BAD as expected. Looking back I realised the interviewer had already decided i will not be hired as soon as i walked in because of my veil. He did not write any of my answers down and i pretty much am not expecting to hear back.

Anyway that doesn't matter, the problem is towards the end I gave him a photocopy of my passport and NOW i want it back! I had to make this sacrifice for the sake of a job and now i regret it. 
    Do you think i can go to the store to ask a staff member to give me my picture?

Yes...

Comment

Just give them a call, say you you had an interview and will be coming in later to collect some photocopies you handed in. 

There should be no reason why they can't give it back to you. 

Comment

Thanks for the reassurance. I thought there might be some sort of standard procedure where they don't give that stuff out without proper reasons. I think i will go there tomorrow, hopefully they don't think im weird, even though i am.

Comment

You can get it back if you say you no longer want the job and retract your application. If you want your application to be considered then I doubt you can get it back just yet as they will need the photo for their pre employment checks

also, you dont know the outcome of the interview. I had an interview where I felt judged the moment I walked in and I gave one good answer and the rest were rubbish and I felt that theres no way that Ive passed. They really grilled me and when I asked someone else what questions they got asked, they were not asked the additional questions that Id been asked! I honestly thought Id failed the interview but Subhanallah when the results came out, they had given me the highest possible mark for each question! By then Id found another job as I seriously didnt think Id get this one. So you never know! Be optimistic!
          https://islamicgemsandpearls.wordpress.com

Comment

Originally posted by Boss View Post
            So i just came back from a job interview, it went BAD as expected. Looking back I realised the interviewer had already decided i will not be hired as soon as i walked in because of my veil. He did not write any of my answers down and i pretty much am not expecting to hear back.

Anyway that doesn't matter, the problem is towards the end I gave him a photocopy of my passport and NOW i want it back! I had to make this sacrifice for the sake of a job and now i regret it.*
            Do you think i can go to the store to ask a staff member to give me my picture?
            Interesting.

So why are you applying for such jobs (I'm guessing retail)?

And why are you looking to work in general?

Comment

Originally posted by Layla_ View Post
              You can get it back if you say you no longer want the job and retract your application. If you want your application to be considered then I doubt you can get it back just yet as they will need the photo for their pre employment checks

also, you dont know the outcome of the interview. I had an interview where I felt judged the moment I walked in and I gave one good answer and the rest were rubbish and I felt that theres no way that Ive passed. They really grilled me and when I asked someone else what questions they got asked, they were not asked the additional questions that Id been asked! I honestly thought Id failed the interview but Subhanallah when the results came out, they had given me the highest possible mark for each question! By then Id found another job as I seriously didnt think Id get this one. So you never know! Be optimistic!
              I think that the only positive that came out of this was that now i know not to apply to similar jobs. I am usually optimistic but this was a fail as im not suited to this kind of work.

Comment

Originally posted by Abu Abdur_Rahman View Post

Interesting.

So why are you applying for such jobs (I'm guessing retail)?

And why are you looking to work in general?
                Yeah it was in retail, I want to work for money because i haven't had any income for a while.

Comment

I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. However, you may need to consider the employer's situation. The customer may find it unsettling been dealt with a salesperson who is veiled.
                  Did you inform the employer that you wear a veil? It may be a good idea to inform them.
                  I do not know of many employment prospects for women who are completely veiled.

Comment

Originally posted by Boss View Post

Yeah it was in retail, I want to work for money because i haven't had any income for a while.
                    I'm guessing by veil you mean niqab.

I think every person, whether living in the West or East, should do their best to follow the Sunnah (whether the obligatory Sunnah or recommended). This is good.

But you also have to live the lifestyle of it.

Some may say it is impractical to wear the niqab in the West. I say this is right, but:

1. A lot of us aren't forced to live here and we can make plans to eventually move, if we really wanted.

2. If a sister chooses to wear niqab, she is covering herself entirely with articles of clothing. But the best veil is the home.

So if there is no necessity to go out and work, I don't see how it can be allowed. Everyone has a need for money, but we are talking necessity here.

Regardless of all this, retail is probably one of the worst jobs a Muslim male can work in - let alone a female. The best ones are those you don't need to interact with the public or minimal interaction such as call center, data entry, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by lunar View Post
                      I am sorry to hear about your misfortune. However, you may need to consider the employer's situation. The customer may find it unsettling been dealt with a salesperson who is veiled.
                      Did you inform the employer that you wear a veil? It may be a good idea to inform them.
                      I do not know of many employment prospects for women who are completely veiled.
                      I can understand however i wanted to try and overcome that fear/barrier but it's really unfortunate that things are this way.

I have seen 1 sister get a job in a similar role and she was almost promoted to team leader until she left, so i think its possible if you are a skilled person.

Comment

I think every person, whether living in the West or East, should do their best to follow the Sunnah (whether the obligatory Sunnah or recommended). This is good.

Some may say it is impractical to wear the niqab in the West. I say this is right, but:

1. A lot of us aren't forced to live here and we can make plans to eventually move, if we really wanted.

2. If a sister chooses to wear niqab, she is covering herself entirely with articles of clothing. But the best veil is the home.

So if there is no necessity to go out and work, I don't see how it can be allowed. Everyone has a need for money, but we are talking necessity here.

Regardless of all this, retail is probably one of the worst jobs a Muslim male can work in - let alone a female. The best ones are those you don't need to interact with the public or minimal interaction such as call center, data entry, etc.
                        I don't think anybody choose to work if they didn't need to, if you live with your family and are not contributing anything then you are continually pressuring the rest of them

While we can plan to move into a muslim country the problem is you need to have a skill & experience to be able to do that. You need to make some sacrifices sometimes in order to achieve a greater goal, i think that is ok

Comment

Comment

Yes retail would be a big fitnah
                            ''If the bedouins and city dwellers were to fight between themselves until they wipe each other out, it will surely be less significant than them appointing a taghoot in the land which rules by that which is against the Shari'ah of Islaam which Allah sent his Messenger ﷺ with'' - Sheikh Sulayman bin Sahmaan

Comment

Originally posted by abufulaans View Post

Yes retail would be a big fitnah
                              Yes, son. Yes.

I don't see how any religiously committed Muslim can work in most retail places. Almost every aspect of it goes against Islam (the items being sold, the music being played, the customers you have to deal and interact with, etc.)

Comment

Working...
                              X