Ads by Muslim Ad Network

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smiling is sunnah, but can we really, innocently?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Smiling is sunnah, but can we really, innocently?

A story goes

"Hasan al-Basri (rahimaullah) was an eminent scholar and pious individual of his time. He would rarely laugh due to his remembrance of death and the punishment of hell. One day he was going somewhere when he saw a young man indugled in laughter. Hasan al-Basri asked the youth, "Young man, have you already crossed the bridge of Sirath? Have you already found out whether you are going to paradise or hell?" The young man replied, "No." Hasan al-Basri told him, "Then why are you laughing so much?" After that, no one saw this young man laughing again as he came to know the reality of this life."

I have lived by this logic for years now, why smile while people are suffering greatly in the Dunya, when you will see the grave of a dearest relative, when you could be doing something productive? But I am nervous to abide to it fully for smiling is sunnah, is it incredibly bad if I do not smile and laugh?

The example you mention mentions laughing whereas you are asking about both laughing and smiling. Also it mentions he would rarely laugh so I assume he did laugh sometime. Maybe it's talking about people who laugh too much?

I don't think it is talking about smiling though.¬*

Comment

Originally posted by Medic View Post
      I don't think it is talking about smiling though.¬*
      But the same can apply

Comment

Do something productive then...

Comment

Smiling is nice... within limits.¬*

¬*

Comment

Originally posted by Plinchun View Post

But the same can apply
            No. Smiling is sunnah, laughing isn't.

Narrated `Aisha:

I never saw the Prophet (ﷺ) laughing to an extent that one could see his palate, but he always used to smile only.

-Sahih al-Bukhari 6092
            It was narrated from Abu Hurairah that the Messenger of Allah (ﷺ) said:
            Do not laugh a lot, for laughing a lot deadens the heart.

-Sunan Ibn Majah Vol. 5, Book 37, Hadith 4193

"And behold! ye come to us bare and alone as We created you for the first time: ye have left behind you all which We bestowed on you..." - Al-An'am:94

Comment

Abdullah ibn al-Harith reported: I have not seen anyone smile more often than the Messenger of Allah, peace and blessings be upon him.

Source: Sunan al-Tirmidhī 3641

Grade: Sahih (authentic) according to Al-Albani

عَنْ عَبْدِ اللَّهِ بْنِ الْحَارِثِ بْنِ جَزْءٍ قَالَ مَا رَأَيْتُ أَحَدًا أَكْثَرَ تَبَسُّمًا مِنْ رَسُولِ اللَّهِ صَلَّى اللَّهُ عَلَيْهِ وَسَلَّمَ

3641 سنن الترمذي كتاب المناقب باب في الشاشة النبي صلى الله عليه وسلم

3641 المحدث الألباني خلاصة حكم المحدث صحيح في صحيح الترمذي

-------------------
              Sometimes I use this place to lighten my own mood (and maybe the mood of others), and to smile and be cheerful is a part of rahmah towards people. In all honesty though, a lot of the time when alone especially, I think most of us will find ourselves looking at the sobering reality of what lies ahead and what we've prepared for it and there's little, if anything at all, to laugh about.
              Last edited by Fakhri-bin-Ali; 01-06-19, 11:27 AM.
              LAA ILAAHA ILLALLAAH
              -------------------------------------

​​​​​NOTE: Please kindly avoid 'liking' my posts (Jazaa'akumullah khair)

Comment

Originally posted by Fakhri-bin-Ali View Post

Sometimes I use this place to lighten my own mood (and maybe the mood of others)
                Perhaps these stories can be of value to you in future then https://www.islamcan.com/increaseima...s-page-7.shtml

Comment

Working...
                X